What is the most important aspect of a good video game?

• 104 results
Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll What is the most important aspect of a good video game? (76 votes)

Graphics 1%
Gameplay 59%
Sound design [sound fx, etc.] 0%
Soundtrack [music] 0%
Level design 3%
Story 7%
Overall "fun" factor** 28%
Multiplayer integration 3%

Some say graphics trump all, while others swear by gameplay. To me it kind of depends on the game. I dig gameplay, highly. Period. But there are some games that have subpar gameplay, yet I still like them due to exceptional quality in other areas. Incidentally, things like framerate and general performance are of course important, but I feel like optimization is a different subject from the above core elements. What do you guys think. If I missed any options you want on there, shout it out.

** "Fun" factor, imo, basically means just what it says, fun. A game can be fun regardless of whether or not the gameplay and other aspects are well done. Some games are just stupid fun. But "fun" factor needn't only apply to stupid games, of course.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Gameplay easily I can over look the story and the graphics as long as the gameplay is satisfying.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

None of the above.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

"Is this fun"

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38793 Posts

Its not just one thing, unless "gameplay" is a bunch of different things all together. A combat system for me is one of the most important things. A shit combat system (TW3 as a perfect example) ruins quality titles. I also like a great sense of exploration that doesn't guide your ass with a bigass green arrow in the top center of the screen telling you where to go and what to do. That shit blows. I want a game with no map nor fast travel. A game you just play and remember parts of the map because of a unique encounter, awesomely designed enviroment/level, etc. When can i play a game like that?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58296 Posts

Gameplay.

@uninspiredcup said:

"Is this fun"

Haha ya, mostly this, actually.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

"Is this fun"

Blunt. I like it.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Gameplay.

@uninspiredcup said:

"Is this fun"

Haha ya, mostly this, actually.

Yessir.

@hardwenzen said:

Its not just one thing, unless "gameplay" is a bunch of different things all together. A combat system for me is one of the most important things. A shit combat system (TW3 as a perfect example) ruins quality titles. I also like a great sense of exploration that doesn't guide your ass with a bigass green arrow in the top center of the screen telling you where to go and what to do. That shit blows. I want a game with no map nor fast travel. A game you just play and remember parts of the map because of a unique encounter, awesomely designed enviroment/level, etc. When can i play a game like that?

The combat in TW3 basically ruins the game. This doesn't always happen for me, but it did with that game. Just so monotonous.

@i_p_daily said:

None of the above.

Really? Then what is your favorite aspect of a game?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I voted "fun factor" because I don't believe that "good gameplay" in the strictest academic sense is inherently worthwhile. I've played lots of platformers with similar mechanics and some addicted me while others just didn't move me at all. Ditto FPS, racers, etc. The game has to present that gameplay in some way that is rewarding, motivated, motivating, whatever. Likewise, there are plenty of games where the gameplay barely exists in the traditional sense but the game is a great experience anyway - e.g., puzzle games (Riven), adventure games (Grim Fandango or Day of the Tentacle).

Fun. A game has to be fun in some way for me to consider it great. Don't care too much how it gets there... my enjoyment of the complete package will be subjective at the end of the day

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4217 Posts

I would say fun gameplay, combined with good level design. Something developers of the past understood, as well as some developers that still understand today.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

Gotta go with fun factor myself. The whole reason I play games after all is to have fun.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Overall fun factor seems kinda vague because that's composed with a multitude of things. So I picked gameplay because that's the baseline for the fun I get from a game.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 733 Posts

I picked fun factor even though I feel that is pretty subjective.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I mean, of course it'd be fun factor from that list lol. If you're not enjoying yourself, what's the point? Though said enjoyment would be derived from those other elements.

For me it's like this.

- Gameplay (this includes mechanics, systems, and level design, applicable to different degrees depending on the genre/game)

- Performance. Pretty important, games both play and look better when they perform well.

- Music/sound design, roughly equal for me.

- Graphics, emphasis on art style, give less of a shit about technical showcase as time goes on.

- Story. Usually in the way, poorly told, and would rather just get that fix from a medium more suited for it.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Gameplay and fun-factor

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69407 Posts

Story, cutscenes, graphics then gameplay. That is what the real world care about. If they didn't then I would not be spending most of my time in watching cutscenes with heavy handed exhibition in the majority of triple A games. Gameplay is an inconvenience to these developers. We should start having metrics for how long it takes for the player to actually play the game after it has been booted up.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Gameplay trumps all and encompasses a lot of the things you listed, tight controls and engaging content is what it's all about. Without decent gameplay most games don't really have much of a fun factor, so they are pretty much one in the same in the majority of cases.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15910 Posts

Combination of all, I want my gameplay, fun, audio, level design, and graphics all be at least satisfying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-62852ef1135c6

@ConanTheStoner said:

I mean, of course it'd be fun factor from that list lol. If you're not enjoying yourself, what's the point? Though said enjoyment would be derived from those other elements.

For me it's like this.

- Gameplay (this includes mechanics, systems, and level design, applicable to different degrees depending on the genre/game)

- Performance. Pretty important, games both play and look better when they perform well.

- Music/sound design, roughly equal for me.

- Graphics, emphasis on art style, give less of a shit about technical showcase as time goes on.

- Story. Usually in the way, poorly told, and would rather just get that fix from a medium more suited for it.

Death Stranding is, I think, a good example of a game not putting fun up front, at least not in the traditional sense, and yet still managing to be a good game. Personally I would not describe it as "fun", really, yet at the same time I can't deny that there is just something so captivating about the game, and it largely comes down to gameplay. The gameplay arguably outweighs the fun factor in this case, I think.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#19  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

Hmm. As a multi-discipline art form, I kind of think a video game should nail at least two different aspects at once to be worthy of my time. Going by examples of games I really enjoyed in the last few years; I thought Jedi Fallen Order nailed the combat, exploration and fun factor of playing a space wizard with a laser sword. Horizon Zero Dawn nailed the story, soundtrack, graphics and the sense of danger in hunting angry robot dinosaurs with bows and arrows. XCOM 2 nailed the gameplay, the atmosphere and the satisfying moments of seeing things come together. So on and so forth.

Conversely, games that nail only one aspect tend to lose my interest quickly. Remnant: From the Ashes, for example, is a game that I at first enjoyed but kind of left hanging, because shooting stuff was all it had.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-62852ef1135c6

@Pedro said:

Story, cutscenes, graphics then gameplay. That is what the real world care about. If they didn't then I would not be spending most of my time in watching cutscenes with heavy handed exhibition in the majority of triple A games. Gameplay is an inconvenience to these developers. We should start having metrics for how long it takes for the player to actually play the game after it has been booted up.

If you say so.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Gameplay is the only right answer.

But more specifically, controls/movement. That's why I hate Rockstar games. I could tolerate it when I played Grand Theft Auto 3, but no more. The characters still move in this weird overly heavy sluggish way. Tried RDR2, I was like nope. I can't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-62852ef1135c6

@sonic_spark said:

Gameplay is the only right answer.

But more specifically, controls/movement. That's why I hate Rockstar games. I could tolerate it when I played Grand Theft Auto 3, but no more. The characters still move in this weird overly heavy sluggish way. Tried RDR2, I was like nope. I can't.

I know what you mean. I honestly can't stand the way characters move in Rockstar games. It's like they have 1000 fish weights attached to their limbs or something.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 com2006
Member since 2006 • 900 Posts

Without gameplay you don’t really have a game

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Gameplay, if I like it, I usually keep playing. There are exceptions of course, like MGS5.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34587 Posts

Story.

LOL, kidding.

Anyway, including "fun" in the poll made this thread pretty dumb. Videogames are for entertainment. You get your fun out of games in different ways, but getting fun out of games is still the ultimate goal for everyone.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10430 Posts

@Pedro said:

i'm hoping it's some sore of adolescent phase for gaming. like when girls reach that stage where they start wearing makeup and they plaster themselves in it. as they get through that phase they learn to be more subtle with it. aaa gaming's going through a similar thing with story telling

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11253 Posts

storyline.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Story

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

Gameplay and that's always going to be very important. Any gamer should know what makes a good game is its gameplay. Raw graphics are just icing on the cake. As for "fun factor" gameplay really adds fun factor to it so yeah.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Gameplay most of the time. Story a few times. Atmosphere a few times.

LEGEND_C4A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LEGEND_C4A
Member since 2003 • 3186 Posts

Multiplayer for me, really co-op to be honest. I'll play anything if it has co-op... Don't care how bad it is, playing with a good friend is always fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-62852ef1135c6

I think some of you guys are missing the "fun" factor point lol. Little tongue in cheek there.. But it's all good. Great responses all around.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24907 Posts

Gameplay then Level design then Graphics.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts
  1. The game play loop needs to be fun and rewarding.
  2. The performance should be acceptable - the game needs to run well or it can negatively affect number 1
  3. Atmosphere and aesthetic should be appealing in some way
  4. Story needs to not suck if there is one and characters should have depth (if narrative is important to the game)
iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Gameplay mixed with level design for sure.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

This one is hard for me. "Fun Factor" does not always work for me as some games like building games I like to plan out for a very long time and chill with it. It feels almost like a job so I cannot say that it is just fun, it is more of a brain puzzle to see what I can come up with. Gameplay is most likely the answer for me, but once again since building games are my favorite genre, the moment for moment gameplay is not exciting but just very satisfying when you make something great.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

"Is this fun"

I think this nails it for the most part, though I'd say more along the lines of 'captivating' would be a better word.

A signifier of a well-made game (and every medium actually) is one where no one element stands out above the others, but coheres to give an overall engrossing experience. When a game is so well crafted it feels to transcend its individual components to grant something bigger than the sum of its parts, that's when I know I'm playing something special.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-62852ef1135c6

@mojito1988 said:

This one is hard for me. "Fun Factor" does not always work for me as some games like building games I like to plan out for a very long time and chill with it. It feels almost like a job so I cannot say that it is just fun, it is more of a brain puzzle to see what I can come up with. Gameplay is most likely the answer for me, but once again since building games are my favorite genre, the moment for moment gameplay is not exciting but just very satisfying when you make something great.

Someone gets it.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Fun. Even an objectively good game with good gameplay can be boring to play. If I'm playing a game and not having fun I'm just wasting time.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#41  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19542 Posts

1. Fun factor

2. Gameplay

3. Level design

4. Multiplayer integration

5. Story

6. Soundtrack

7. Graphics

8. Sound design

...I accidentally voted gameplay though, as I didn't realize fun factor was an option initially.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

@mojito1988 said:

^This one. I have no fun during Civ, but it's compelling as. Same goes for Tetris. Mario I play precisely because it pisses me off.

Gameplay.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Story, gameplay, level design pretty much everything we don’t live in a time where moving blocks left to right is fun anymore.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@ghosts4ever said:

BS, you always talk about stories, remember how many times you tried to beat us over the head about Mafia having the best story in video games, well we do.

You should stop pretending, we know you love stories thus movie games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@wandering_halls said:
@i_p_daily said:

None of the above.

Well first the game must have ducts, and when i destroy them, i want the game to reduct them, if you know what i mean.

The enemies must be some sort of subspecies.

As for the main character, well they can be a man pretending to be a woman, or a woman pretending to be a man, it doesn't matter.

You know what i mean???

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#46 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69407 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@wandering_halls said:
@i_p_daily said:

None of the above.

Well first the game must have ducts, and when i destroy them, i want the game to reduct them, if you know what i mean.

The enemies must be some sort of subspecies.

As for the main character, well they can be a man pretending to be a woman, or a woman pretending to be a man, it doesn't matter.

You know what i mean???

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-62852ef1135c6

@i_p_daily: Davy!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@wandering_halls said:

@i_p_daily: Davy!!

They can call the main character Davy, Davina and the like, the game just need reducts and subspecies, you know what i mean???

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#49 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24907 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:

BS, you always talk about stories, remember how many times you tried to beat us over the head about Mafia having the best story in video games, well we do.

Story does matter in video games. get over it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Story does matter in video games. get over it.

They matter to casuals such as yourself. You talk gameplay, but i know you're a movie game guy.