What is the greatest launch game of all time?

• 84 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#1 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24035 posts) -

I'm going with Super Mario 64. I grew up not being a big Nintendo fan; I was Sega and Playstation. But MAN, Super Mario 64 was the game to get on the 64. It was mystical, a must have for its time. Also, I think I may be part of the very small percentage of people who liked the N64 controller. This game fit the controller perfectly. Anyway, a truly remarkable game and I can't remember another launch title that really made me want to get a system like Super Mario 64. What about you, SW? What is the greatest launch game of all time?

#2 Posted by robert_sparkes (2914 posts) -

Xbox: Halo combat evolved.

#3 Posted by warmblur (2139 posts) -

Tetris Gameboy

#4 Edited by Sevenizz (3615 posts) -

Tie: Halo CE and Super Mario Bros.

I liked Mario 64, but I didn’t love it. Mainly due to that awful controller.

#5 Posted by jeezers (2652 posts) -

Halo combat evolved was a good one of xbox, timesplitters on ps2 as well, I know botw came out on Wii U, but that was a he'll of a launch title on switch

#6 Posted by Heirren (803 posts) -

Mario 64 was the Star Destroyer/Jurassic Park moment for the videogames industry.

#7 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18687 posts) -

Probably Halo CE.

#8 Posted by VFighter (4794 posts) -

Soul Caliber 2 on the Dreamcast.

#9 Posted by enzyme36 (4151 posts) -

Breath of the Wild

#10 Posted by glez13 (9915 posts) -

Something among Super Mario Bros/World/64/Halo CE/Zelda BOTW.

#11 Posted by dimebag667 (1207 posts) -

@Sevenizz: this

#12 Posted by Mandzilla (4037 posts) -

It's gotta be Tetris.

#13 Posted by xantufrog (11162 posts) -

All these sarcastic replies about Tetris... c'mon guys, if you're not going to take things seriously...

My vote goes to No Man's Sky

#14 Posted by Heirren (803 posts) -

Tetris for gameboy is up there no doubt. Pong is another one worth a mention.

#15 Posted by Sevenizz (3615 posts) -

@xantufrog: Should’ve said Fantavision as NMS wasn’t a launch title.

#16 Posted by Basinboy (13845 posts) -

King Kong

#17 Edited by Sevenizz (3615 posts) -

@heirren: Pong has never been a console launch title.

#18 Posted by mojito1988 (3531 posts) -

Anyone that was around when Super Mario 64 launched would know that it was the biggest launch game ever. There was the industry before that game, then the industry after that game. I have seen a lot of moments with video games, but nothing even comes close to that launch.

#19 Posted by X_Karen_x (500 posts) -

Nintendo DS it come out on a game call Wario Ware Touch. It around this time Steve Job got a idea for phone with the touch screen and easy quick game like Wario Ware Touch. This game it like the first style of App Store game. Nobody before this time seek to make phone with similar style. It a overlook thing what Nintendo do with touch device and same thing with a wii for gesture basic movement. Look to a future where touch screen phone is multi billion dollars industry.

#20 Posted by Archangel3371 (27570 posts) -

Tough call between Super Mario World, Mario 64, and Breath of the Wild.

#21 Edited by BassMan (10030 posts) -

Mario 64 for sure. I went over to a friend's house on launch day and played it. I came home and told my bro how amazing it was and we pooled our money together and bought an N64 the next day. :)

#22 Posted by sealionact (3791 posts) -

Halo CE. System seller, and 97 on meta.

#23 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20500 posts) -

Halo CE. It was the only reason anyone in my circle had an Xbox for a good while, and we were A-ok with it because of how amazing a game it was.

#24 Edited by jahnee (3983 posts) -

@robert_sparkes said:

Xbox: Halo combat evolved.

There is no other answer. But looking at console launches as a whole, the Xbox 360 easily wins it for me. PGR3, Call of Duty 2, Quake 4, Need for Speed Most Wanted(best version ever released), Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo Elements of Power, Amped 3, Condemned Criminal Origins, King Kong. Hard to beat the diversity of that. Next Xbox should launch like this, with atleast 5 exclusive games and a ton of upgraded third party games with new enhancements. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

#25 Posted by Fedor (4606 posts) -

Mario 64 easily.

#26 Posted by EG101 (1965 posts) -

3 way tie

Super Mario 64 on the N64, Halo CE on the Xbox and Soul Calibur 2 on Dreamcast.

#27 Posted by Vaidream45 (1848 posts) -

For me it was Super Mario World for SNES. I didn’t need to rent a game for weeks after buying the system due to that amazing pack in. I never had a Gameboy though but I’m pretty sure they felt the same way about Tetris.

#28 Posted by lundy86_4 (52666 posts) -

@glez13 said:

Something among Super Mario Bros/World/64/Halo CE/Zelda BOTW.

Yeah, and Jesus, that's a hard choice. I think i'd go Mario 64.

#29 Edited by DaVillain- (36021 posts) -

Halo: Combat Evolve! One of the best launch game of it's time and a great introduction to the world of Xbox.

#30 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18687 posts) -

@mojito1988 said:

Anyone that was around when Super Mario 64 launched would know that it was the biggest launch game ever. There was the industry before that game, then the industry after that game. I have seen a lot of moments with video games, but nothing even comes close to that launch.

Yeah, good point... I never played it at launch, but years later. I could only imagine how mind-blowing it would've been at launch.

#31 Posted by xantufrog (11162 posts) -

@Sevenizz: oh I misread - I thought we were talking about game launch

#32 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15704 posts) -

I'm showing that I'm washed, but for me, it's Super Mario World when the Super Nintendo first came out... You know, back when buying a new system actually came with a with packed-in game was a normal practice.

#33 Posted by npiet1 (2081 posts) -

GTA V had the most units sold on day 1.

#34 Edited by judaspete (2904 posts) -

I don't care for the first Halo. When you're accustomed to the speed of Unreal Tournament and Quake 3, Halo feels like you are wading through waist deep sludge in comparison. It gets credit for being a revolutionary game changing event, but really didn't do anything that hadn't already been done before by something like Perfect Dark. There was no online either, so it can't even take credit for that.

That said, Halo is probably the best launch game of all time. It was a graphical showcase for the Xbox, had an epic and engrossing single-player campaign, and a ton of multiplayer modes. Everything a system needs at launch, all in one game.

Mario 64 also deserves recognition for pushing the industry forward in a way no other game has. Almost any action/adventure/platformer that came earlier is pretty much unplayable now. Once Mario 64 showed us how 3D was done, the world became a better place.

But my personal favorite launch game is Power Stone.

#35 Edited by lamprey263 (36041 posts) -

I probably put most time myself and with friends with Halo CE, heck, still olay it via MCC to tbis day, but yeah, launch Mario titles on NES, SNES, and N64 were great for their time, these days Super Mario World is probably my favorite. Probably best Nintendo launch game in recent years is Breath of the Wild.

#36 Edited by TheEroica (18384 posts) -

I don't really care for the halo series but it legitimized an entire generation for a starting console... I don't know if it was the best launch game, but it was certainly the most important I can think of....

Breath of the wild is probably my favorite LT

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#37 Edited by storm_of_swords (2743 posts) -

It's got to be Super Mario 64. That wasn't just a great game; that was a game that revolutionized this entire industry.

#38 Posted by KBFloYd (21748 posts) -

breath of the wild

mario 64

tetris

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#39 Posted by storm_of_swords (2743 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

Also, I think I may be part of the very small percentage of people who liked the N64 controller. This game fit the controller perfectly.

I think that percentage is higher than you think. I love the N64 controller too. It was great for the games that were designed around it and it's Z trigger is my all-time favorite button on a controler.

#40 Posted by FinalFighters (3137 posts) -

definitely Halo: CE

all my friends (Myself included) bought the XBOX just for that game alone.

#41 Posted by General_Solo76 (544 posts) -

For me it was Super Mario World

#42 Posted by Heirren (803 posts) -

Breath of the Wild wasnt a launch game.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#43 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3016 posts) -

@vfighter: @EG101: You both should lose your votes for such foolishness. SoulCalibur 2 launched in 2002. That’s over 2 1/2 years after the Dreamcast launched in the US. What you meant to say was the original SoulCalibur.

It’s pretty funny that y’all are botching your “greatest launch game of all time” picks. The game must not have been that memorable after all...

As for the correct answer. It’s Mario 64.

#44 Posted by AJStyles (736 posts) -

Resistance Fall Of Man is easily the best launch game.

Halo is a close second.

The rest are overrated trash Nintendo games. Those auto lose.

#45 Posted by Planeforger (17990 posts) -

@heirren said:

Breath of the Wild wasnt a launch game.

How so?

Surely a "launch title" is a game that is available on a console's launch day - or are we just making up excpetions for games we don't like?

#46 Posted by Heirren (803 posts) -

@Planeforger:

Game was coming out for wiiu.

#47 Posted by Speeny (1506 posts) -

Even though I never got it on launch..Halo CE easily.

#48 Posted by wolfpup7 (1176 posts) -

Luigi's Mansion and Zelda Breath of the Wild.

#49 Posted by Chutebox (44487 posts) -

Halo = Soul Cal > BotW > Mario Bros.

#50 Posted by Heirren (803 posts) -

Teleroboxer also up there.