Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Sony's had a number of underdogs like Horizon Zero Dawn , The Last Guardian , Detroit Become Human , and even Knack II that is really good and really fun. Death Stranding looks like the biggest underdog right now , lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Mad Max

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

Valve

Their tactic is not making any games

the underdog

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@Nike_Air: Huh? Horizon was an underdog?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@Nike_Air said:

Sony's had a number of underdogs like Horizon Zero Dawn , The Last Guardian , Detroit Become Human , and even Knack II that is really good and really fun. Death Stranding looks like the biggest underdog right now , lol.

How as any of those besides Knack II considered underdogs? They were immensely hyped.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

S-A-R-C-A-S-I-Z-Z-Z-Z-izm

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:
@Nike_Air said:

How as any of those besides Knack II considered underdogs? They were immensely hyped.

Lol exactly.

Smells like cow in here :)

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Best one I can think of is hollow knight. Tho I know of a few folks around here who have heard of it/played it.

I guess you could count no man's sky 2.0 as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Actually I change my answer it's SuperHot.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Undertale, perhaps?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Titanfall 2. That might be my game of the generation. Y'all are trippin'

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#15 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Bloodborne. Buy it please we need funds for Bloodborne 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Nike_Air said:

You obviously have no idea what underdog means lol.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#17 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Edith Fitch was pretty good.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nike_Air

@JustPlainLucas said:
@Nike_Air said:

They were immensely anti-hyped too though. Don't you remember what a lot of Lems , Hermits , and Sheep were saying about them before release? They dominated any Cow hype. 3 groups vs 1 group.

I'm starting to see the same for Death Stranding.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@Nike_Air said:

They were immensely anti-hyped too though. Don't you remember what a lot of Lems , Hermits , and Sheep were saying about them before release? They dominated any Cow hype. 3 groups vs 1 group.

Could you enlighten us all with examples? Please provide within context. I remember TLG being hyped beyond sh*t... The release was incredibly lacking.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#20  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@Nike_Air said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Nike_Air said:

Anti-hyped? Is that a thing? Because it sounds ridiculous. For starters, I don't pay attention to who spreads hype. I pay attention to the hype itself. If lems, hermits, or whatever say anything about something Sony related, it doesn't concern me. I don't put stock into fanboy jargon. When I think of underdog, I think of something that doesn't generate hype at all, like Knack 2 would have done if it didn't become a living meme. So for the first three aforementioned games, the hype was everywhere. Forums, articles, reviews, you name it. Doesn't matter what someone was saying about those games. Didn't take away from the hype the games already had.

As for Death Stranding, again, doesn't matter what people stay against it. The game's already generated enough buzz that it doesn't matter if all the "lems, hermits and sheep" come out of the wordworks to knock the game. The game will not be ignored by the people who matter, the ones interested in it, of which there are many.

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pcvirginrace
Member since 2017 • 192 Posts

No mans sky. It fell so deep and crawled it's way back to the top

Sea of thieves. Everyone made fun of it and the xbox but is constantly updated

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nike_Air

@lundy86_4 said:
@Nike_Air said:

Could you enlighten us all with examples? Please provide within context. I remember TLG being hyped beyond sh*t... The release was incredibly lacking.

The examples were obvious. I was here. You were here. We all were here. We know what Lems , Hermits , and Sheep were saying. They didn't think much of it , or made fun of it , or said it wouldn't be great (after saying it would never release before it resurfaced). They made fun of Cows for being excited or interested in it. And the game clearly had development issues along the way. I'd say it was an underdog to many many people , even some PS fans.

And what were the results you ask?

9/10 at Gamespot. Superb! It ranked 5th best game at Gamespot in their 2016 GOTYvoting and it came out super late (December) so a number of people might not have even played it yet. It was 80+ Metacritic. Great! TLG won the 5th most GOTY's in 2016 (gotypicks) . It also won Easy Allies GOTY which was excluded from gotypicks at that time. Lots of nominations (and some wins) in artistic graphics , game design , adventure game , soundtrack , sound design , best character.

So it would appear that you are either uninformed or are downplaying its accomplishments , so it would appear to still be an underdog.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Azure Striker Gunvolt 1 & 2.

Freedom Planet as well.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@Nike_Air said:

The examples were obvious. I was here. You were here. We all were here. We know what Lems , Hermits , and Sheep were saying. They didn't think much of it , or made fun of it , or said it wouldn't be great (after saying it would never release before it resurfaced). They made fun of Cows for being excited or interested in it. And the game clearly had development issues along the way. I'd say it was an underdog to many many people , even some PS fans.

And what were the results you ask?

9/10 at Gamespot. Superb! It ranked 5th best game at Gamespot in their 2016 GOTYvoting and it came out super late (December) so a number of people might not have even played it yet. It was 80+ Metacritic. Great! TLG won the 5th most GOTY's in 2016 (gotypicks) . It also won Easy Allies GOTY which was excluded from gotypicks at that time. Lots of nominations (and some wins) in artistic graphics , game design , adventure game , soundtrack , sound design , best character.

So it would appear that you are either uninformed or are downplaying its accomplishments , so it would appear to still be an underdog.

So... None?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#26 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69444 Posts

@goldenelementxl: I concur. Best single player fps this gen

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

> Gamespot and many other sites couldn't be arsed reviewing it

> Most people haven't heard of it

> Better game than Fallout 4/Wasteland

> SsethTzeentach makes a review

> Sales go up 5000%

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@Pedro: titanfall 2 was great, definently the most underated FPS.

As far as games that came out of no where trackmania turbo, rocket league, hollow knight, the messenger and cave story were dope

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Sunset Overdrive

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Underrail is a good candidate.

Undertale could be, since how many mainstream gamers were dismissing it, but it had already acquired quite a cult following on more niche gaming communities.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@Nike_Air said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Nike_Air said:

None of these are underdog games. Horizon had a ton of GOTY accolades, Detroit: Become Human and Knack II got mediocre reviews and The Last Guardian shot its own hype in the foot when it took nearly a decade just to release an average game.

You probably don't know what an underdog game is because you actively don't give them a chance as much as you just look for that Playstation exclusive.

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

Overload, from the Descent developers of then, without the buzz of its franchise name, and a better game altogether, for getting released with single player content. Descent: Underground has been play ground for too long. We needed this genre back though.