What is the deal with people bashing MGS4's graphics?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 therealmcc0y
Member since 2007 • 2115 Posts

I DID NOT WRITE THIS FUZZSQUASH DID, AND I THOUGHT EVERYBODY SHOULD READ THIS AS THERE SEEMS TO BE ALOT OF BASHING OF MGS4 TEXTURES!

What is the deal with people bashing MGS4's graphics?

Have they even seen the gameplay footage?

Or the 15 minute demo?

Sure, there are some texture issues, but graphics aren't just about textures. Animation, destructible environments, character models, particle effects, sprawling settings, massive firefights, 60 frames per second--MGS4 excels in all these presentational benchmarks, yet some people can only focus on certain texture issues. Do they realize that nothing in MGS4's environments is copy & pasted, like so many games out there?

Even the people who've beaten the game say that it has some of the best graphics to date--better than Gears of War.

It's remarkable that so long after the gameplay footage was revealed, people still harbor these archaic views of MGS4's level of presentational quality. What's the deal?

kaangonultas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kaangonultas
Member since 2008 • 1647 Posts
they are just jealous
PC_Skeptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PC_Skeptic
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
MGS4's graphics are hot. I played MGS2 again yesterday and those graphics are still da sickness. They haven't aged 2 poorly. Wish it was on 360 that's all instead of waitstation central...
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

they are just jealouskaangonultas

yep. that's it

Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts
The deal is that the textures really are horrible. All that other stuff is very important for a game, and im sure it looks great, but the textures bring the overall graphical 'package' down immensely.
river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
lol, my friend is a 360 fanboy and we were watching some mgs4 movies and hes just like, "wow, 360s graphics cant touch this" i guess its how you look at, people who want to bash it will pick out anything they can, people who like the mgs games know that those texture are way more than good enough
therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 therealmcc0y

The deal is that the textures really are horrible. All that other stuff is very important for a game, and im sure it looks great, but the textures bring the overall graphical 'package' down immensely.Cali3350

brings the package down immensly?

:|

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
while MGS4's graphics aren't as good as uncharted or something it's still better than most games i mean it's bettter than halo 3
penguino726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 penguino726
Member since 2007 • 322 Posts
well it is understandable that the final installment in a highly celebrated gaming series is to be held to a high and often unachievable standard of excellence. Take halo 3 for example, people may be quite opposed to halo 3 or for whatever it might stand for, but it was held to a very high standard and was satisfying to some extent. MGS4 will undoubtedly be highly criticized before and after it comes out for truly meaningless things, but so is every other highly anticipated game. I think MGS4 will be a great game, despite the community accentuating it's short comings.
Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts

[QUOTE="Cali3350"]The deal is that the textures really are horrible. All that other stuff is very important for a game, and im sure it looks great, but the textures bring the overall graphical 'package' down immensely.therealmcc0y

brings the package down immensly?

:|

Yes, despite all the animation and lighting artwork, textures are the only thing you actually see when playing a game.

marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

Its called criticism, every big 360 game gets it, are ps3 games not allowed to be criticised?

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
the whole damn thing is green. seriously, its freaking monochromatic. Right up there next to gears of war.
therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 therealmcc0y

Its called criticism, every big 360 game gets it, are ps3 games not allowed to be criticised?

marklarmer

true, but what I wrote (Well Fuzzysquash) blows away anything said about MGS4 graphics and its textures

Arjdagr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Arjdagr8
Member since 2003 • 3865 Posts

ill post it again...

Animation of everything, from Snake to the actions of the PMCs to the evasion of Gekkos and FROG soldiers are incredibly fluid and slick. For the most part, what we've seen ran at a stable 60 frames a second. There were only a few instances in which the framerate dipped for a second or two, but that was typically caused by large onscreen explosions coupled with screen effects (such as dirt being kicked up on the camera lens).

As for visual fidelity, the trailers that have been released for the game are just a brief indication of what the game truly looks like. The title looks much sharper than trailers or screenshots show.

Visually, Metal Gear Solid 4 is even more striking on the console than it has been in released trailers. We always had a sense that what Kojima was showing us was incredible footage, but the detail within the game itself is simply breathtaking. One example of this: when an explosion goes off near Snake, a fine coating of dust covers the camera, adding to the cinematic feel of the game. Another showcase of the striking graphics is the seamless transition between cutscenes and gameplay, many of which are only highlighted by a camera shift to indicate the cutscene has ended and gameplay has begun.

IGN

Playing a nearly complete build of Metal Gear Solid 4 running on the PlayStation 3 was a revelatory experience. The graphics looked sensational, the sound effects and music sounded magnificently epic, and the interface felt sleek and simple.

Gamepro

These guys are basically telling fanboys to stfu.

therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 therealmcc0y

the whole damn thing is green. seriously, its freaking monochromatic. Right up there next to gears of war.laughingman42

1 of 5 areas are green

dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
It looks gorgeous to me, and from most previewers it is one of the best looking games coming out.
superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 superjim42
Member since 2005 • 3588 Posts

the fact is various people have said (people who have played and completed the game and previews) that the game is visually stunning and that screenshots or videos dont do it any justice. the game needs to be played in order to appreciate the visuals of the game. the ign preview said that the game looked so real that they forgot the game was even a game and that it was like a movie. if thats not realistic graphics then i dont know what is!

the only people who are bashing the game are lemmings who are in denial at the fact that this game has turned out so well in terms of presentation, gameplay mechanics and visuals.

StringGuard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 StringGuard
Member since 2008 • 619 Posts

I don't know about the rest of you but I like stopping in the middle of a fire fight to walk up to a wall, real close, and see how "teh textures" are. Tottally pisses me off when I get to the wall if I don't see the textures I want. Totally ruins the game for me.

I know that when I got to indoor levels on Uncharted that it look, oh, so horrible. Look how aweful this screenshot is.

:roll:

superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 superjim42
Member since 2005 • 3588 Posts
i think people should see the 'april fools video' of snake and assassins creed it looks amazing and its running off a more updated build of the engine
tramp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tramp
Member since 2003 • 2110 Posts

I just watched the gameplay video and for such a huge title the graphics look painfully average.

girlpowerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 girlpowerz
Member since 2008 • 492 Posts
Like someone said here, most of them are jealous.