What is the common consensus on System Shock 1 & 2??

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts

Just wanted to know if any of them are worth replaying. I found system shock 2 very difficult.

But I want to play the system shock 1 remake, which is being released December 31st of this year on gog. Any advice gameplay wise?? I found the second game tough to get into.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

The original System Shock was years ahead of it's time. When take into the account the time-frame of its existence, it's a remarkable title.

However, it flopped. And in the longer timeline, people largely forgot about it. It tends to be later entries like Thief, Dues Ex and Halflife that get credit as "immersive sims", moving away from Doom clones to something narratively more sophisticated.

As a game? Yea, not perfect. Same argument can be applied to System Shock 2 but is espically apparent in SS1. Argue it's too complicated for its own good, it can quickly become an exercise in frustration.

System Shock 2 also flopped commercially but in the long run is more well known and generally regarded as one of the best horror titles made, up there with the likes of Siilent Hill 2.

My advice here, if you're playing SS1, is to play the Remastered version with a guide at hand. Or, wait for the remake, which also comes with System Shock 2 Remastered, with the addition of VR support.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

That hearing about those games is about as annoying as those who still yern for Sega to make another console or people who still mistakenly believe Silicon Knights had talent, or those Shenmue people.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24920 Posts

never played original one but System shock 2 is one of the most intelligent game ever made. pioneer in immersive sim genre.

most deepest and complex level design in gaming.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#5 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Never played System Shock 1. Heard it's awkward to get into these days. Might wait for the remake.

System Shock 2 is probably the first game to come to mind whenever someone asks what's my favourite game ever. By no means perfect - I mean, why do I need a specific skill to wave an alien crystal around - but it nailed what it was most famous for; atmosphere and writing.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Never played SS1.

System Shock 2, however, was a seminal game that shaped my preferences and what I can expect (or should expect, more often) in my hobby.

When I first played it, I remember thinking "This! This is what a game can be! This is greatness!" and it was. Not only was it a scary game, but it was immersive as hell. Everything was part of the gameplay, very few cinematics; rich, diverse gameplay. Terrifying monsters. Exploration.

I can't remember if I played Deus Ex or System Shock 2 first, but both of those games (along with Alpha Centauri, Command and Conquer, Half-Life, Dungeon Keeper, Sim City, and a handful of others) were the games of my formative years of gaming.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 outworld222

@uninspiredcup: so if I play the remake, would I need a guide?? I guess I want to know if the game is fun. That’s the most important thing to me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@outworld222: Rmake will be comparatively streamlined.

Need a guide or not, donno. Subjective.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

I delayed playing System Shock 2. At the time it was released it was a toss up between Half Life and System Shock 2. I went with Half Life. When I finally got around to playing System Shock 2, there was absolutely no regrets. It was flawed and it was challenging but the overall experience was unforgettable. The closest feel to System Shock 2 was Bioshock and Prey.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By outworld222

@Pedro: I loved Prey but for some reason I could never get into Bioshock.

At any rate, I’ll be getting System Shock 1.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

I remember running around a very grey spaceship hitting things with a spanner.