What is the best PlayStation console?

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 3 years, 11 months ago

Poll: What is the best PlayStation console? (150 votes)

PlayStation 17%
PlayStation 2 62%
PlayStation 3 12%
PlayStation 4 9%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

There has never been a PlayStation console not worth owning, but one has to reign supreme over all others, one has to be the absolute very best- which one do you think it is, and why?

Note, I was originally going to exclude the PS4, because I felt it is too new, and it would be unfair, but then I remembered that it is nearly two years old, and outside of outlandish fanboy claims, it's doing very well right now, in terms of sales, services, and games, so I felt comfortable enough including it.

Anyway, which PlayStation console do you think is the very best?

#1 Posted by Heil68 (58242 posts) -

PS3 as it has an unprecedented amount fo exclusive GOTYS a perfect 10/10 exclusive and a top 4 and top 5 GOAT. Add to that we saw MASSIVE support all the way through 2013 with a exclusive GOTY and the answer is simple.

#2 Posted by mems_1224 (56916 posts) -

I mean, it was the PS2 by far

#3 Posted by SecretPolice (35326 posts) -

PS1 and that was a fluke since it was suppose to be a Nintendo.... lol.

#4 Edited by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

That's a tough one. The PS3 may be the weakest of the bunch, but even that one delivered some golden gaming. I'd say the PS2, not only for it's insane library of games but its actual social impact. I remember the typical parents, once upon a time, used to call all game consoles "the Nintendo". During the PS2 era, non-gamers started to associate videogaming with Playstation. Even bumper stickers and ads on the internet would use the silhouette of a Dualshock controller to represents video games.

Few consoles can say they've had that kind of impact. Then again, having a poll like this so early in this generation is hardly giving the PS4 its fair shake.

#5 Posted by DaVillain- (36877 posts) -

@charizard1605 I think we both have a pretty good idea which PlayStation console is gonna win and that's the PS2. [Which I voted btw]

#6 Posted by charizard1605 (82716 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

PS3 as it has an unprecedented amount fo exclusive GOTYS a perfect 10/10 exclusive and a top 4 and top 5 GOAT. Add to that we saw MASSIVE support all the way through 2013 with a exclusive GOTY and the answer is simple.

Actually, GameCube had as many GotY exclusives as PS3, and it only lasted only half as long, Heil :P

#7 Posted by Heil68 (58242 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:
@Heil68 said:

Actually, GameCube had as many GotY exclusives as PS3, and it only lasted only half as long, Heil :P

ok tied :P

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#8 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24256 posts) -

Used to be ps1 for me, but ps4 is the new champ

#9 Posted by DaVillain- (36877 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

Can you blame Sony for wanting to get revenge on Nintendo? PS1 may have been a fluke, but only because the CD-Rom proved to be cheaper to make and cartridges at the time were expensive as ****.

#10 Edited by SecretPolice (35326 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@SecretPolice said:

Can you blame Sony for wanting to get revenge on Nintendo? PS1 may have been a fluke, but only because the CD-Rom proved to be cheaper to make and cartridges at the time were expensive as ****.

Sure, sure, no argument from me on that point. As a matter of fact, I was a 3DO gamer and came to PS1 late, the first GT game did it for me. :)

Oh I should add RE and TR as well, fantastic stuff for their time.

#11 Posted by Meathead373 (1024 posts) -

Ps2, can't compete with that library, but I've liked all the PlayStation consoles

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
#12 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (9139 posts) -

Playstation 2 is best playstation.

#13 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

Based on how much time I spent on them and plan on spending with them in the future

PS3 > PS2 > PSP > Vita > PS4 > PS1

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
#14 Posted by deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95 (2103 posts) -

I'm sure PS2 will win, but PS1 is the one I have the most memories with.

#15 Posted by Malta_1980 (11890 posts) -

PS1 & PS3 were great, but PS2 was a beast... it had it all sales, great exclusives and huge 3rd party support !!

I cannot judge PS4 yet, maybe TC can ask the same question once this gen is over..

#16 Edited by coasterguy65 (7133 posts) -

For sheer amount of games, i don't think anyone would argue the PS2 had way more games. That being said, I found that I enjoyed playing the games on my PS3 way more than my PS2.

One a side note. I think that the PS4 is probably the best console Sony has ever made, but the exclusive game support is pretty sad. Thank goodness there are some fun multi-plats to play on the PS4. If Sony would ever start releasing some true interesting exclusives, the PS4 could be their greatest console.

#17 Posted by jg4xchamp (61611 posts) -

Playstation 2. So many fantastic games.

#18 Posted by Running-Target (413 posts) -

PS1.

#19 Edited by AtariKidX (7055 posts) -

Playstation 4.......the God of all consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
#20 Edited by deactivated-5b0367b217732 (1697 posts) -

The first one, because I'm a JRPG fan.

PS: Square and Enix were so amazing back then...

#21 Posted by commonfate (13320 posts) -

Backwards compatible PS3.

#22 Posted by raugutcon (5485 posts) -

For my money PS2 beats the rest to the point that I just got a new PS2 Slim to replace the PS2 fat the day it hits the dirt and the technician tells me it´s unrepairable. I have 50 physical games and 250 digital games for that console.

#23 Posted by Thunderdrone (7154 posts) -

The original. It was built, marketed and released in the market with laser-like precision.

With PS4 in last place due to paid online, BC removal so they can charge for another bullshit service. Poor build quality and shitty first party offerings so far. Still a worthwhile investment... but yeah...

The original Playstation was 100% oldschool sony DNA. From the branding to the way it was marketed, it was a mirror reflection of when sony ruled the tech market as a hip, high end brand. That started going south halfway the PS2 generation, unfortunately.

#24 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

Didn't you already anoint the PS4 as the greatest console of all time?

#25 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36333 posts) -

PS2 by far.

#26 Edited by locopatho (23597 posts) -

Can't abide PS1 load times. Think 360 was better than PS3. PS4 is young.

PS2 is the king, but I firmly believe PS4 will take that crown. It's nearly a perfect system, all it needs is time to keep building it's library. If it lasts 7 or 8 years, I think it will be nearly universally agreed to be the best console ever.

#27 Edited by cainetao11 (36592 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Come on dude. That is forum, fanboy bullshit. The PS2 is the greatest because of the sheer amount of great games on it. Awards don't enhance enjoyment..............................for most people that is

#28 Posted by iambatman7986 (2790 posts) -

PS2 took everything the PS1 did right, and made it even better. PS1 and PS2 were both amazing consoles. Plus you could play PS1 games on PS2. I guess if that's the case though, then the launch PS3 is the winner since you could play all PS1 and PS2 games on it. I wish Black Ops 2 didn't break mine 2 years ago.

#29 Edited by remiks00 (3822 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Exposed! :p

#30 Posted by gameofthering (11269 posts) -

PS2>PS1>PS3/PS4

#31 Posted by charizard1605 (82716 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Sure, but I wanna know what the others think ;P

#32 Posted by Epak_ (10675 posts) -

PS4, love it.

#33 Posted by Heil68 (58242 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:

Come on dude. That is forum, fanboy bullshit. The PS2 is the greatest because of the sheer amount of great games on it. Awards don't enhance enjoyment..............................for most people that is

That's why I included the top 4 and top 5 GOATs. PS2 didn't have any of those if I recall correctly.

#34 Edited by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

I would disqualify the PS4 simply because it's work this generation isn't done. The way things are going I could see the PS4 taking the top spot (in competing with former PS machines), but we won't know until at least the PS5 is out at the very least and we can look back.

So, I would only be looking at the PS1, PS2, and PS3.

I would vote PS2, although a good argument for a BC PS3 with three generations of PS games being the highlight. Not counting BC, PS2 for me.

#35 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6793 posts) -

The answer is the one who is leading the poll.

#36 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (18972 posts) -

Hmmm that's a tough one... my hearts says PS1 (mainly because of nostalgia of course). But I loved PS3 last gen too. I had a lot of complaints with it, but overall I loved it.

In terms of games, it's hard to go past PS2 however (although I wasn't the biggest fan).

#37 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19734 posts) -

None of them, because the Xbox brand is better :P

/troll

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
#38 Posted by deactivated-5920bf77daa85 (3270 posts) -
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:

Don't bother. He has posted that spam for most of his roughly (and shockingly) 47K posts.

I doubt he even plays games.

#39 Posted by BobRossPerm (2886 posts) -

The PS2. Second only to the SNES.

#40 Edited by Legend002 (13403 posts) -

The PS3 is the only one of the four that didn't slaughtered the competitions so that is eliminated. I'll go with the PS just because of the awesome JRPGs.

#41 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14923 posts) -

Playstation 2 by far. Way more high quality games than handful of good exclusives on PS3 that brought nothing new to the table.

#42 Posted by Heil68 (58242 posts) -

@Cobra_nVidia said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Heil68 said:

Don't bother. He has posted that spam for most of his roughly (and shockingly) 47K posts.

I doubt he even plays games.

Add me to any service-BroknOath. :D

#43 Posted by Skelly34 (2353 posts) -

PS2.

#44 Edited by Seabas989 (13245 posts) -
  1. PS2
  2. PS1
  3. PS3
  4. PS4
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#45 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30848 posts) -

PC

#46 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166563 posts) -

I don't know. The PS1 was an important console I guess....killed the Saturn. grr. The PS2 was an even bigger console....killed the DC...double grr. And the PS3 and PS4 continue to develop. I suppose it should be between the 1 and 2 but I can't say. I suppose it depends on criteria cause sales point to PS2. But the PS made that possible.

#47 Posted by CanYouDiglt (8232 posts) -

lol some actually voted for the PS4.

#48 Edited by charizard1605 (82716 posts) -

@Legend002 said:

The PS3 is the only one of the four that didn't slaughtered the competitions so that is eliminated. I'll go with the PS just because of the awesome JRPGs.

The PS3 was also the only one that didn't receive an original Persona game during its lifespan.

That alone makes it trash compared to the others xD

#49 Posted by verbtex (9155 posts) -

No console has ever pulled me in as much as the Playstation 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
#50 Edited by deactivated-5920bf77daa85 (3270 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:
@Legend002 said:

The PS3 was also the only one that didn't receive an original Persona game during its lifespan.

That alone makes it trash compared to the others xD

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty

Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus

...you were saying?