What is the apeal of military war shooters?

  • 106 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for MonsieurX
#51 Posted by MonsieurX (36285 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: I think you can agree to stop following me around,can't you?

Avatar image for MonsieurX
#53 Posted by MonsieurX (36285 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@MonsieurX said:

@scottpsfan14: I think you can agree to stop following me around,can't you?

What? I was merely making a comment. Fact is, HL2 isn't what you would call a millitary shooter.

There's military involved.

How is it not a military shooter

Avatar image for zeeshanhaider
#55 Edited by zeeshanhaider (5524 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@farrell2k said:

People enjoy simulating and fantasizing about killing people. If you enjoy these types of games, you have mental issues, and if you live in the U.S., you should never be allowed near a gun. Real life is already too violent. Why would anyone find this fun?

Not sure if serious...

What freedom?

Avatar image for MonsieurX
#56 Edited by MonsieurX (36285 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@MonsieurX said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@MonsieurX said:

@scottpsfan14: I think you can agree to stop following me around,can't you?

What? I was merely making a comment. Fact is, HL2 isn't what you would call a millitary shooter.

There's military involved.

How is it not a military shooter

Because it's not. Not remotely the same thing as CoD or BF. It's a sci-fi shooter primarily.

Sci-fi military shooter.

Avatar image for lostrib
#57 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@zeeshanhaider said:

@lostrib said:

@farrell2k said:

People enjoy simulating and fantasizing about killing people. If you enjoy these types of games, you have mental issues, and if you live in the U.S., you should never be allowed near a gun. Real life is already too violent. Why would anyone find this fun?

Not sure if serious...

What freedom?

Avatar image for jsmoke03
#58 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -

i prefer the more grounded in reality shooters over sci fi shooters even though i can enjoy both.

Avatar image for zeeshanhaider
#59 Posted by zeeshanhaider (5524 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@lostrib said:

@farrell2k said:

People enjoy simulating and fantasizing about killing people. If you enjoy these types of games, you have mental issues, and if you live in the U.S., you should never be allowed near a gun. Real life is already too violent. Why would anyone find this fun?

Not sure if serious...

What freedom?

See, no freedom at all! Merely asking a question displeases teh 'EAGLEMAN'. :P

Avatar image for system-reboot
#60 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Sci-fi military shooter.

contrary to popular belief, i actually think Sci fi military games are better than psedo realistic.

Im so much excited for Doom 4 that i only think of that game all the time. even i saw it in my dreams.

Avatar image for pelvist
#62 Edited by pelvist (6454 posts) -

TBH I cant stand shooters of today especially the Battlefield and COD games. I loved BF1942 for a while though. The last competitive shooter I enjoyed was (and still is) TF2. Im really looking forward to the new Unreal Taurnament game.

This is excluiding ARMA of course because its a diferent type of game. ARMA is just amazing and no other game series offers the same experience.

Avatar image for MonsieurX
#63 Posted by MonsieurX (36285 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

@MonsieurX said:

Sci-fi military shooter.

contrary to popular belief, i actually think Sci fi military games are better than psedo realistic.

Im so much excited for Doom 4 that i only think of that game all the time. even i saw it in my dreams.

So,you agree it's military and you like it.

Avatar image for StormyJoe
#64 Edited by StormyJoe (7530 posts) -

@system-reboot: because most little boys play war. Military shooters let us relive that.

Avatar image for Cranler
#67 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

People like to play "real firefight pretend" instead of shooting mindless monsters rushing you like in Shadow Warrior.

I still don't understand why Serious Sam isn't Snipers fav shooter. It's sp destroys other old school shooters. The original even won gamespot's pc goty in 2001.

Avatar image for papatrop
#68 Edited by PapaTrop (1792 posts) -

I don't care what setting an FPS is in. Military, bubblegum, alien invasion, etc. It can be anything.

The real problem is that 99.9999% of military shooters have terrible gameplay. That isn't to say that other FPS games don't also have terrible gameplay because many other games try to mimic the gameplay of popular military shooters, but as far as military shooters go, most are bad.

Avatar image for I_can_haz
#69 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

I prefer military shooters because I like shooting guns in real life. Sci-fi shooters' guns aren't as appealing for me because they aren't usually based on real life guns. I also like real life military vehicles like jets, tanks, choppers, etc. and games like BF let you pilot these vehicles and shoot your friends online, it's a lot of fun. The only sc-fi FPS shooter series I love almost as much as BF is the UT franchise.

Avatar image for lostrib
#70 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@lostrib said:

See, no freedom at all! Merely asking a question displeases teh 'EAGLEMAN'. :P

Is it too hard for you two mouth breathers to remove people not intended for your foreplay from your quote chains? Funny pictures. :)

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
#71 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14291 posts) -

None . The genre have been used by so many companies that it has become boring and repetitive . I prefer old school , fast paced shooters with no weapons limit and no auto regen health .

Avatar image for spitfire-six
#72 Posted by Spitfire-Six (1368 posts) -

People play military shooters because everyone can't join the military. "I can't ever think of why someone would want to think of harming another human" you must live in candy land.

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
#73 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14291 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@MonsieurX said:

There's military involved.

How is it not a military shooter

Because it's not. Not remotely the same thing as CoD or BF. It's a sci-fi shooter primarily.

Sci-fi military shooter.

Half Life 2 is not a military shooter by any means . Whenever someone mentions "military shooter" , they relate it to games with weapon limits (can't carry more than 2) , auto regen health and no freedom . In military shooters like COD , you can't even open doors yourself and have to wait for others to do so , otherwise you can't proceed .

Games like Half Life 2 are fast paced with no iron sight , driving sections (where you drive yourself and don't just fire weapons like on rail shooter) , minor exploration sections and freedom (make your own path with Gravity Gun) . The setting of the game is also sci fi and story of the game have nothing to do with good America vs Bad world plot , usually found in military shooters .

Avatar image for wis3boi
#74 Edited by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

lol sniper thread

Avatar image for THE_DRUGGIE
#75 Edited by THE_DRUGGIE (25057 posts) -

Military-Industrial complex bleeding into the entertainment realm.

Avatar image for cainetao11
#76 Posted by cainetao11 (31396 posts) -

@farrell2k: People enjoy simulating and fantasizing about killing people. If you enjoy these types of games, you have mental issues, and if you live in the U.S., you should never be allowed near a gun. Real life is already too violent. Why would anyone find this fun?

A lot of Americans don't realize that the second amendment says that the right to bear arms is not without limitations. I definitely feel many should not have a concealable weapon or AR. If you can't defend your home with a shotgun, you have bigger problems than who may break in.

Avatar image for heguain
#77 Posted by heguain (1409 posts) -

Nothing.

Avatar image for SuddenlyTragic
#78 Posted by SuddenlyTragic (976 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@system-reboot said:

@MonsieurX said:

@system-reboot said:

@MonsieurX said:

Non military shooter,Half-Life?

You fight the military for a while in both of them

never thought gordon freeman is soldier. he is scientist

So,because Freeman isn't a military,the game's not military?

Thats alien empire combine.

not human. not military.

Top kek SNIPER

As Freeman tries to make his way out of the ruined facility, he soon discovers that he is caught between two sides: the hostile aliens and the Hazardous Environment Combat Unit, a U.S. Marine Corps special operations unit dispatched to cover up the incident by eliminating the organisms, as well as Dr. Freeman and the other surviving Black Mesa personnel to keep them from talking

Freeman fights the Marines before reaching the surface of Black Mesa, where he learns that scientists from the Lambda Complex may have the means to resolve the problems created by the cascade. Gordon travels to the other end of the facility to assist them.[20] However, Gordon encounters several hurdles throughout the facility, such as reactivating a rocket engine test facility to destroy a giant creature of three tentacles,[21] using an aged railway system in order to get to and launch a crucial satellite rocket,[22] and fighting a group of Black Ops soldiers,[23] before he is captured by Marines and dumped in a garbage compactor. Gordon escapes and makes his way to an older part of the facility where he discovers an extensive collection of specimens collected from Xen, long before the resonance cascade.[24]

I know you're trying to own Sniper but...That picture is from Half Life 2 and it's not a marine. The plot you are describing is Half Life 1. Just saying.

Avatar image for AcidTango
#79 Posted by AcidTango (1280 posts) -

Half-Life, Quake, and many other older shooters are way better then the shooters that we have today. They are all mostly 5 hour gameplay military crap that's nothing more then a shooting gallery. I really hope that the new Doom lives up in it's hype.

Avatar image for Lulu_Lulu
#80 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

I'm not American So I wouldn't really know.

Avatar image for system-reboot
#81 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

I prefer military shooters because I like shooting guns in real life. Sci-fi shooters' guns aren't as appealing for me because they aren't usually based on real life guns. I also like real life military vehicles like jets, tanks, choppers, etc. and games like BF let you pilot these vehicles and shoot your friends online, it's a lot of fun. The only sc-fi FPS shooter series I love almost as much as BF is the UT franchise.

LOL military shooter resemble real life. they are unrealistic realistic game. what is so realistic about regen health??

fact of matter is that realism is boring in game. but psedo realism is just more stupid. now if we look into science fiction or some other shooter they involve exploring, finding ways, non stop shooting while moving. etc

I dont even consider Crysis military war shooter. just science fiction military shooter.

Avatar image for spitfire-six
#82 Edited by Spitfire-Six (1368 posts) -

@system-reboot: what seems to escape your vast wealth of knowledge and understanding is that they are talking about a realistic setting and less fantastic weapons. But please don't let understanding the opposing view disrupt your troll thread please tell us more... you were saying health regain?

Avatar image for lostrib
#83 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

LOL military shooter resemble real life. they are unrealistic realistic game. what is so realistic about regen health??

fact of matter is that realism is boring in game. but psedo realism is just more stupid. now if we look into science fiction or some other shooter they involve exploring, finding ways, non stop shooting while moving. etc

I dont even consider Crysis military war shooter. just science fiction military shooter.

Well, good thing no one cares about your opinion

Avatar image for system-reboot
#84 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -
@spitfire-six said:

@system-reboot: what seems to escape your vast wealth of knowledge and understanding is that they are talking about a realistic setting and less fantastic weapons. But please don't let understanding the opposing view disrupt your troll thread please tell us more... you were saying health regain?

Well, fact of the matter is we play games to escape from reality.

Avatar image for spitfire-six
#85 Posted by Spitfire-Six (1368 posts) -

@system-reboot: You speak for all gamers now? when did this happen where was I? Was this in the user agreement? should have read it

Avatar image for getyeryayasout
#86 Posted by getyeryayasout (11233 posts) -

I'd imagine that it's the militaristic theme, the war, and the shooting that are the appeal of military war shooters, though I may be mistaken.

Avatar image for system-reboot
#87 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -
@lostrib said:.

Well, good thing no one cares about your opinion

Remember when Half life debuted first time in 1998. was easily greatest invention of humanity. greatest thing humanity ever experience. Please valve, please gabe save us all. Come back.

Avatar image for lostrib
#88 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@system-reboot: you're trying too hard.

Maybe you need a break, perhaps you can go bug OT by ranting about freedom fighters or evolution

Avatar image for system-reboot
#89 Edited by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@system-reboot: you're trying too hard.

nah. its my dream. my dream is to play half life 3 on source 2 or Doom 4 on ID tech 6 (which is HAPPENING!!)

Once i will get Half life 3 i feel like i got everything in my life.

also what freedom fighter?

Avatar image for watchdogsrules
#90 Edited by watchdogsrules (541 posts) -

hmmmmmmmm................

Avatar image for lostrib
#91 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@system-reboot: wow, way to dream big...

And really? You know about evolution but not freedom fighters? Does your country not have google?

Avatar image for watchdogsrules
#92 Posted by watchdogsrules (541 posts) -

@system-reboot: i think after advanced warfare and destiny come out, you'll regret starting this topic.

Avatar image for lostrib
#93 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@watchdogsrules: you already said that.

Also, no

Avatar image for system-reboot
#94 Edited by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@system-reboot: wow, way to dream big...

And really? You know about evolution but not freedom fighters? Does your country not have google?

1. yes its a big dream is not it? every gamer has a dream

2. i mean what freedom fighter you talking about?

Avatar image for watchdogsrules
#95 Posted by watchdogsrules (541 posts) -

@lostrib: no, i guarantee you that you will.

Avatar image for MonsieurX
#97 Posted by MonsieurX (36285 posts) -

@SuddenlyTragic said:

I know you're trying to own Sniper but...That picture is from Half Life 2 and it's not a marine. The plot you are describing is Half Life 1. Just saying.

Come on,stop ruining my fun :(

Avatar image for lostrib
#98 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@watchdogsrules said:

@lostrib: no, i guarantee you that you will.

I will what?

Avatar image for sirkibble2
#99 Posted by sirkibble2 (939 posts) -

For me, I don't think it matters what I'm shooting, I generally like what the military FPS bring in their gameplay. Battlefield's Conquest mode is a great mode and if it happened to be aliens vs. bugs with giant tanks and other flying whatever's with the same type of controls and sort of "militaristic" movements (going prone, for example), then I'd still have fun with it.

Avatar image for charizard1605
#100 Posted by charizard1605 (81799 posts) -
@freedomfreak said:
@system-reboot said:

i prefer shooting demons, aliens etc

Educate yourself.

Ha, that's amazing.