What is more profitable for game developers, PC or Consoles?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I've noticed how in this generation, console has been the lead platform for a lot more games. Even franchises that used to be PC exclusive or developed with PC as lead platform have converted to using consoles as lead platform. It seems like PCs take a back seat to consoles in the minds of almost all developers this generation. Is this because software sales are more profitable on consoles, therefore they try to appease console gamers more than the PC gamers?

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Unless its an RTS, consoles.

Bigger starting price(60$), less pirates, and easier to market to audience.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Shouldn't even be a question, PC. Publishers get way more money off of download sales than retail.

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
Consoles, obviously. Confirmed by the devs themselves.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

It's dependant upon a whole plethora of variables. Certain devs will likely find better profits on different platforms.

fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fsurb28
Member since 2008 • 1329 Posts

consoles are cheaper, not everyone has money for a decent rig, then a couple months later a game comes out that you're interested in but find out you have to upgrade but you don't have the money, but to me it's simple - make a quality game that has multiplayer and boom there you go to profit

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts

consoles are cheaper, not everyone has money for a decent rig, then a couple months later a game comes out that you're interested in but find out you have to upgrade but you don't have the money, but to me it's simple - make a quality game that has multiplayer and boom there you go to profit

fsurb28
Well it's definitely completely false that you have to upgrade every couple of months to play a new PC game. That is unless you want to play everything at max settings and nothing below.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

dercoo

I think the extra costs for console games are so that they can pay royalties.

SoSadLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SoSadLife
Member since 2008 • 197 Posts

Consoles, but ... techonology corporations are NEVER going to let PC gaming die. Besides, PC Gaming, not receiving many attentions WILL NEVER BE MOTION GAMING DOMINANT.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
Per sale, the profit margine is higher on PC, especially non-physical purchases. But the amount of Core gamers on consoles can often outweigh the cost that it takes to produce for them.
lazzordude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 lazzordude
Member since 2003 • 6685 Posts

Really depends:

Big budget game- probably doesn't matter all that much, although consoles might get slight edge

Mid budget game- I would imagine conosles

small budget/indy games- PC easily. No royalty fees and can publish the games themselves.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

For developers? PC, much lower costs of development and marketing, better deals with publishers, DD's popularity etc.

Consoles are more profitable for publishers though.

You can see the trend easily..for most devs that aren't owned by publishers PC is the lead platform, while those studios that are owned by big companies tend to focus on consoles.

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

I've noticed how in this generation, console has been the lead platform for a lot more games. Even franchises that used to be PC exclusive or developed with PC as lead platform have converted to using consoles as lead platform. It seems like PCs take a back seat to consoles in the minds of almost all developers this generation. Is this because software sales are more profitable on consoles, therefore they try to appease console gamers more than the PC gamers?

arkephonic

1. Multiplatform is where the money's at and as multiplatform goes, the game will have to be designed to the least capable platforms ( PS3/X360). Even then, the PC version are more often than not the superior version in terms of graphic fidelity and at times, content (BF3).

2. Also depends on the dev studio. Indie devs generally do a lot better on the PC platform. Dev studios backed by publishers will usually cater to multiplatforming (in which, see point 1).

fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fsurb28
Member since 2008 • 1329 Posts

[QUOTE="fsurb28"]

Dr_Snood

Well it's definitely completely false that you have to upgrade every couple of months to play a new PC game. That is unless you want to play everything at max settings and nothing below.

that's the way i feel, i mean why have a nice rig instead of a cheaper console if i don't have the dough to run it at max settings, it's like having a 200mph car when the speed limit is 65, what's the point

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

well individually a console game going head to head with a PC game usually has the advantage in favor of the console in sales.

so if you were to combine the sales of both the 360 and PS3 compared to just PC then ...

360+PS3 sales > PC sales.

360+PS3 = more profit.

TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Consoles I would imagine, way more people use them for gaming over PC.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

It depends on the game obviously, because there are a whole lot of variables that go into proft per unit sold.

On the consoles 99.99% of sales will be through retail. Retail has sunk in costs and ends up delivering a smaller profit per unit sold to the developer/publisher.

On the PC 30-50% of all sales are retail (depending on a number of factors), the rest are digital sales which typically return twice as much profit per unit sold than retail sales. And if the publisher itself is selling the game digitally (say valve) then that amount goes up to up to 4 times as much profit (depending on the sale price).

So, on average, a PC game sale equals higher profit than a console sale. Which means, that for the profits from console to surpass the profits from the PC it needs to sell anywhere from .5 to twice as much MORE than the PC version.

Thing is, that is true for many titles, but not for all.

Console fanboys think that every game on the consoles sells millions, but that is not true. Most games don't even break a million units. Only a handful of super heavy hitters with a TON of marketing get those numbers, and this is hwere we hit on the final variable: the cost of development and marketing.

On the PC the cost of development and marketing is fairly small. You can possibly sell millions without a single TV commercial, or even much advertising at all (Minecraft for example).

On the consoles you need to spend a LOT more in marketing and a bit more on development, all of which cuts into the profit of the title.

So let's take an example.

HALO REACH sold over 3 million copies in it's first month. On the PC Star Craft 2 sold about the same in it's first month.

On the consoles all sales were retail. On the PC about 1/2 of the sales were digital. So in terms of profit where Halo: Reach is 100%, Star craft II should have generated about 200% the amount of profit (remember that only blizzard sold the digitla version of SC II, so they were makign a good 3x the profit per sale). Of course not all territories payed the same price, so we can't be absolutely sure about this, but it should be somewhere around that type of discrepancy. And this is even BEFORE we take into account marketing and development budgets. Unfortunately we don't know how much each company spent. I'm guessing in this case it pretty much evened out. Blizzard spent more moeny in development, and MS spent more moeny in marketing.

On the other hand some games just sell a lot better on consoles. Fifa 12 is going to outsell the PC version 4 or 5 times over, so even with increased profit on the PC, it's just not going to compare. Of course the reason why it will sell so few units on the PC is that EA deliberately wants that. It deliberately gimps the PC version fo the game, and staggers release with the console version in Europe. Stupid, IMHO.

So for a title to make more money on the consoles, Xbox + PS3 sales have to be 50% to 100% larger than PC. A lot of games do this. But a lot of games don't. Bad Company 2, fro example, sold more units on the PC. Since aorund 1/2 of those were probably digital, that means Dice adbsolutley made considerable more money on PC than on the consoles.

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

In terms of raw numbers, the consoles. But per unit, the PC is a contender since the publishers don't have to pay any fees to MS or Sony. They can knock off £10 from the price and still be making a decent amount of money per unit sold.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

In terms of raw numbers, the consoles. But per unit, the PC is a contender since the publishers don't have to pay any fees to MS or Sony. They can knock off £10 from the price and still be making a decent amount of money per unit sold.

LordRork

In fact double, to three times (if they make the sale through their own publisher digital distribution service like valve, now EA, and stardock).

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

[QUOTE="Dr_Snood"][QUOTE="fsurb28"]

fsurb28

that's the way i feel, i mean why have a nice rig instead of a cheaper console if i don't have the dough to run it at max settings, it's like having a 200mph car when the speed limit is 65, what's the point

Cause, you know, gaming is the ONLY thing you can do on a pc.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts
Depends on A LOT of things. Let's just say there wouldn't be console-exclusive/centric devs, or PC-exclusive/centric devs if one platform was 100% superior to the others in terms of sales and profit.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Developers: PC

Publishers: Consoles

Game_On_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Game_On_
Member since 2011 • 60 Posts

Pretty sure World of Warcraft is the most profitable game ever made. They rake in somewhere around 75 million a month from the U.S. alone.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

dercoo

The bigger starting price is because they have to pay MS & Sony licencing fees, how does that give them more money? :?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

dercoo
What about Blizzard with WoW? They bring in roughly 115 million dollars in revenue..per month, let me guess..they don't count?
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

Heil68

What about Blizzard with WoW? They bring in roughly 115 million dollars in revenue..per month, let me guess..they don't count?

Yeah, and wow is a great example of the average AAA (cost not rating) PC dev.

Its not like they are some high end extreme or anything:roll:

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Both... aslong as you tailor the game for each version. Ok that is not what the topic was about. But PC larger share so the potential money is higher. If the game is good it will continue to sell for a very long time. If they have their own online store then they will all the money from sales and if they use steam for example they still make alot of money.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Depends...

I think it goes something like this:

On consoles you will either get ALOT of money, or go bankrupt, there really is no middle ground it seems, the ability to be really profitible is low, but when it happens, youre set. If you do NOT manage to get one of those top 6 games of the year? you will lose a truckload of money.

On PC a dev will get far less of a profit, but usually it is not a ,do or die, kind of deal. So on pc a dev would not get a huge yield, but if a game is a bust, It will cost much less.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Inconsistancy

Pretty sure World of Warcraft is the most profitable game ever made. They rake in somewhere around 75 million a month from the U.S. alone.

Game_On_

That's on subs, not sales. Not that it's relevant, someone already said, Dev = pc, Publisher = console, pretty much true.

Game_On_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Game_On_

[QUOTE="Game_On_"]

Inconsistancy

That's on subs, not sales.

Profitability isn't just about units sold. Even the coffee mugs and t-shirts they sell count as profitability.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Every developer isn't the same you know. That's a ridiculous generalization.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Most games on PC sell 1+ million. Hell, the original Witcher as a new IP and fairly niche RPG sold over 1.5 million copies. Plus you don't have the royalty fees on PC that you do on the consoles. That and the PC market is the largest in the world and still the most played platform out there. So, PC, without a doubt. Now, for the CoD games and such, consoles. Console players eat the up seeing as they don't have much else.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="Game_On_"]

Game_On_

That's on subs, not sales.

Profitability isn't just about units sold. Even the coffee mugs and t-shirts they sell count as profitability.

I edited, and you can't charge a subscription on most games anyway, I wouldn't use it in a comparison. I figured this topic was 'in general...' not 'in this specific case'
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="dercoo"]

dercoo

Yeah, and wow is a great example of the average AAA (cost not rating) PC dev.

Its not like they are some high end extreme or anything:roll:

Same as saying RTS's is the only genre that makes more money on PC's was accurate, amirite? :roll:
Game_On_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Game_On_

[QUOTE="Game_On_"]

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"] That's on subs, not sales.Inconsistancy

I edited, and you can't charge a subscription on most games anyway, I wouldn't use it in a comparison. I figured this topic was 'in general...' not 'in this specific case'

Profitability is profitability. World of Warcraft set the precedent for MMOs as the most profitable business model in gaming. Since MMOs like World of Warcraft are mainly perpetuated by the PC market, that means the most profitable format in this discussion is PC gaming. I think it is pretty simple.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts
Profitability is profitability. World of Warcraft set the precedent for MMOs as the most profitable business model in gaming. Since MMOs like World of Warcraft are mainly perpetuated by the PC market, that means the most profitable format in this discussion is PC gaming. I think it is pretty simple.Game_On_
What kinda logic is that? LOL!!!! That like saying a Bugatti Veyron is the most expensive car in the world (its not really, but play along). Therefore, Bugatti makes more money than Honda.
Game_On_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Game_On_

[QUOTE="Game_On_"]Profitability is profitability. World of Warcraft set the precedent for MMOs as the most profitable business model in gaming. Since MMOs like World of Warcraft are mainly perpetuated by the PC market, that means the most profitable format in this discussion is PC gaming. I think it is pretty simple.lhughey
What kinda logic is that? LOL!!!! That like saying a Bugatti Veyron is the most expensive car in the world (its not really, but play along). Therefore, Bugatti makes more money than Honda.

That's actually not what I said at all.

MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

fsurb28

Um, because it doesn't take the Maximum settings to run at higher settings and better performance than consoles. Not only will you get better graphics, but you will have higher resolution and much better framerate, also, depending on the game you will have better controls. Not to mention the option to use either mouse and keyboard or a gamepad for pretty much any game.

MacGyver2188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MacGyver2188
Member since 2011 • 105 Posts

fsurb28

......Not sure if serious I made my PC for 600-700 quid 3 years ago, still maxes everything
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#43 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Pretty sure consoles since they are more mainstream.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Depends

if its an RTS/MMO/Indie game, PC of course, if its Shooter/RPG/Sports, Console

also digital downloads of PC games make more profit than console games

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
per unit pc easily gives devs/publishers the best profits. If we're talking overall profits it would depend on a number of other variables.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Given that the title clearly specifies "developers" I would have to say that the PC is more profitable. This is understandable given that the PC, last I checked, is the platform of choice for either a plurality or majority of game developers.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Per copy, its pc, in total consoles, but it varies per game for the total.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
PC. A PC game doesn't require a massive budget and millions of dollars of advertisements to do well. Not to mention the fact that putting a game on a DD service on PC costs about $1-2 per copy, while retail costs more than $40 per copy. On top of that, a developer doesn't need to deal with a publisher, meaning that all the money the game makes goes straight to them (rather than 10-15% of that $20 per copy).
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Consoles. Period.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Consoles. Period.

Heirren
Why? Because developers have to pay exorbitant licensing fees and make high-budget games just to break even?