What is more important to the success of Killzone 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
While I love games that can tell a long great story properly, let's be honest, SONY is trying to make Killzone 2 it's Halo 3. To do this,Guerilla needs to shift it's primary focus to multiplayer, and last I checked there hasn't been much news at all about multiplayer. Regaurdless I really hope the game comes out strong on all fronts, and I think it will.
Max_Settings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Max_Settings
Member since 2007 • 173 Posts

The question is did Guerilla have enough time to copy off of Bungie the king of FPSs

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#3 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
Even though I must sadly admit this, strong multiplayer. SP in most FPS is becoming ignored even in reviews (Halo 3 was short come on GS no short demerit?).
SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SeanBond
Member since 2003 • 2136 Posts
It's got to be multiplayer; Bioshock is a big game (sales wise), but what really makes a game huge is multiplayer. If Killzone 2 is a great singleplayer game it will do well, but for it to be a killer app, it has to have replay value, and has to show that the PS3 can compete with the 360 online. Killzone has always been hyped as a Halo-killer, and you can't attempt to kill Halo if you don't attack it where it dominates the most--the multiplayer arena.
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EmpCom
Member since 2005 • 3451 Posts
The sale of alot more ps3
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts
An excellent game shouldn't need multiplayer to make it shine. Bioshock is testament to that.
magdalene1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 magdalene1
Member since 2006 • 407 Posts

Because the multiplayer aspects of most FPS are so important to review scores these days, I think that Killzone 2 had better show up with some mad good multiplayer. Even if it does, the question you have to ask is whether Sony's online system can handle it. Then Killzone 2's graphics have to live up to expectations. Then Killzone 2's AI has to live up to expectations. This game will have more scrutiny thrown its way than even Halo 3 perhaps. I kind of hope that reviewers judge Killzone like they did Bioshock, on the strength of its single player campaign, if that is in fact where Guerilla placed its emphasis.

mtradr43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mtradr43
Member since 2005 • 5272 Posts

An excellent game shouldn't need multiplayer to make it shine. Bioshock is testament to that.ImaPirate0202

it sure helps. i mean, halo 3 did sell more in one week than bioshock has so far in its lifetime. having great multi helps a bunch.

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Unforgiven2870
Member since 2004 • 6386 Posts
While I love games that can tell a long great story properly, let's be honest, SONY is trying to make Killzone 2 it's Halo 3. To do this,Guerilla needs to shift it's primary focus to multiplayer, and last I checked there hasn't been much news at all about multiplayer. Regaurdless I really hope the game comes out strong on all fronts, and I think it will. DA_B0MB
Gameplay that is all.
hatecalledlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hatecalledlove
Member since 2004 • 1383 Posts
How about they focus on making it have really good gameplay, and nice features...thats usually a good start. Everything else just builds off of that.
SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SeanBond
Member since 2003 • 2136 Posts

An excellent game shouldn't need multiplayer to make it shine. Bioshock is testament to that.ImaPirate0202

But Bioshock wasn't in direct competition with the Halo franchise; Sony has positioned Killzone to be their answer to Halo, and thus they'll need to blow people away with the multiplayer as well. Bioshock is also an extremely unique FPS; most FPS games wouldn't stand on single player alone, because most just don't do enough different from other games. Bioshock may not have needed multiplayer, but that's because it wasn't your typical run-and-gun FPS. Killzone 2 looks to be much more traditional, and therefore will need to include the multiplayer that is also a traditional part of the modern FPS.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
It sounds like they are going for their screwball brand of "realism" in Killzone2 when it comes to the weapons. They say they kick a lot. Evidently in the future they can design floating barges and lightning guns but they can't design a weapon that doesn't kick like a mule. Oh well. Its nearly impossible to make something as fun as Halo multiplayer.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts
The sale of alot more ps3EmpCom
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]An excellent game shouldn't need multiplayer to make it shine. Bioshock is testament to that.SeanBond

But Bioshock wasn't in direct competition with the Halo franchise; Sony has positioned Killzone to be their answer to Halo, and thus they'll need to blow people away with the multiplayer as well. Bioshock is also an extremely unique FPS; most FPS games wouldn't stand on single player alone, because most just don't do enough different from other games. Bioshock may not have needed multiplayer, but that's because it wasn't your typical run-and-gun FPS. Killzone 2 looks to be much more traditional, and therefore will need to include the multiplayer that is also a traditional part of the modern FPS.

And that's the problem. Developer's throw lackluster campaigns at us with multiplayer as an answer to replay value. To hell with multiplayer, give me a great campaign and I'll play and beat the game plenty of times. How's that for replay value.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50716 Posts

The question is did Guerilla have enough time to copy off of Bungie the king of FPSs

Max_Settings

let me be the first to say:Bwahahahahahaha.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50716 Posts

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]An excellent game shouldn't need multiplayer to make it shine. Bioshock is testament to that.mtradr43

it sure helps. i mean, halo 3 did sell more in one week than bioshock has so far in its lifetime. having great multi helps a bunch.

Advertising helps a lot more.

BobHipJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BobHipJames
Member since 2007 • 3126 Posts

Look no further than The Darkness. Multiplayer FTW.

Personally, I'm hoping for a great singleplayer a la Resistance: Fall of Man.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
Both. This game is going to have a hard time getting the praise it deserves with all the Sony hatred going around. Not guarunteed a AAA handout review like Halo3 even if KZ2 is a far better game.
Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts

Both. This game is going to have a hard time getting the praise it deserves with all the Sony hatred going around. Not guarunteed a AAA handout review like Halo3 even if KZ2 is a far better game.Lazy_Boy88

Yeah Halo 3 was a handout AAA, hype always improves game scores, just ask Peter Molyneux. :roll:

They need a robust multiplayer feature. Great singleplayer games don't always draw in as many people.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

Max_Settings

:lol:

Game13a13y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Game13a13y
Member since 2004 • 2860 Posts

SP definitely, if i want to play some MP shooting actions, i'll log onto Warhawk. i can see myself playing that game for months.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
Halo 3 was good at both. Not deep but the single player was awesome(i honestly dont wanna hear it haters). The mp was awesome. and all the features added on top made the game a complete package. The only knock on the game is the lenght of the SP(some consider it short) and the graphics not being special considering the hype of the game.

Killzone 2 cant just be good at one thing, it has to be like Halo and be good at both. I mean Halo 2 had a better story and single player than Killzone. Halo 1 destroyed that game and Halo 2 as well. Halo 3 is far superior to Halo 2 and is up to par with the SP in Halo 1. I say Killzone 2 has to be good at both to be Sonys Halo.
strudel420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 strudel420
Member since 2006 • 3687 Posts
Its gonna need both for it to stand out when being compared to the other FPS coming out in the next 6 months.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
Both. This game is going to have a hard time getting the praise it deserves with all the Sony hatred going around. Not guarunteed a AAA handout review like Halo3 even if KZ2 is a far better game.Lazy_Boy88
Halo 3 earned its AAA reviews just like the previous 2 games.

If a game is indeed superior it earns its scores. Half Life 2 won GOTY didnt it. From every critic.

TP flopped and its Zelda

Sunshine

Smas Bros. Melee.,etc

No body is out to bash sony. If a game deserves the score in the eyes of the critics it gets it. Halo 3 is an amazing game. WHy cant cows get over it allready.

You guys act like the first killzone didnt stink beyond belief. Obviousaly KZ2 has a much better shot this time around, but whats to stop another flop. Technically its still the main concept of the first game just now it will be fleshed out further.
Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts

Max_Settings

yes, because everything in Halo was 100% original, all created by Bungie. :lol:

Because the multiplayer aspects of most FPS are so important to review scores these days, I think that Killzone 2 had better show up with some mad good multiplayer. Even if it does, the question you have to ask is whether Sony's online system can handle it. Then Killzone 2's graphics have to live up to expectations. Then Killzone 2's AI has to live up to expectations. This game will have more scrutiny thrown its way than even Halo 3 perhaps. I kind of hope that reviewers judge Killzone like they did Bioshock, on the strength of its single player campaign, if that is in fact where Guerilla placed its emphasis.

magdalene1

what are you talking about? Thats in the hands of the developers and whoever is running the servers for the game.

What AI expectations are you referring to? Halo 3 has pretty bad AI, especially when it is compared to recent games.

DarkCloud79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarkCloud79
Member since 2006 • 997 Posts

What is more important to the success of Killzone 2?

Massive Marketing Campaign

go7400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 go7400
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts
[QUOTE="Max_Settings"]

NavigatorsGhost

magdalene1

what are you talking about? Thats in the hands of the developers and whoever is running the servers for the game.

What AI expectations are you referring to? Halo 3 has pretty bad AI, especially when it is compared to recent games.

The brutes in Halo 3 are some of the smartest enemies i have ever come across..........

Though you're allies i do admit suck(execpt for the Arbiter) The enemies in Halo 3 for 99% of time are really smart

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts

Max_Settings
you obviously don't play alot of PC FPS's
Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts
[QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"][QUOTE="Max_Settings"]

go7400

magdalene1

The brutes in Halo 3 are some of the smartest enemies i have ever come across..........

Though you're allies i do admit suck(execpt for the Arbiter) The enemies in Halo 3 for 99% of time are really smart

Lol, thats hilarious. Smart? Are you frigging kidding me? The extent of their tactics involves occassionaly diving out of the way of plasma pistol charge up shots. And on harder difficulties they tend to avoid grenades pretty well, using that patented dive move again.

Other than that, they don't do crap. They are supposedly squad leaders, and yet the enemies in this game never work as a group. The grunts run around in circles as soon as you show up and start shooting. The brutes stand in the open and only take cover after you've severely hurt them and taken down their shieds. They do not move at all. They will strafe from their hiding position and thats it.

They don't look for better weapon and use it.

They don't work together with the other brutes or grunts.

They don't patrol.

If you are engaging 10 enemies or so, and take damage, while you are sitting back waiting for your shields to recharge the enemies should be advancing on you to flush you out. At best, the grunts throw a grenade or two, often missing completely.

The AI in this game is flat out garbage. And don't give me that crap that I haven't played the game or I should play it on a harder difficulty. Legendary solo was a cakewalk. The regenerating shield, poor enemy AI, and abundance of ammo removes any sort of challenge. At least in the previous games you would encounter Elites who would actually engage you, not sit back and take potshots at you. This game requires patience and thats it.

Playstation97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Playstation97
Member since 2007 • 451 Posts

Single player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stress that enough!! Nowdays every game builds on Multiplayer. But you can't play 20 games online. We need great single player games with a great story!!!

We already have Warhawk for online and I read that there will be an expantion pack comming soon for it!!

So defenatly Single Player!!

Look at God of War.....single player game and how awsome!!

Also MGS is single player and how great it is!! GTA is single player to!!

So I say it again!! Single player!

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts

Oh well. Its nearly impossible to make something as fun as Halo multiplayer.JiveT

too true. and with that i conclude...