What is it about the Wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 freeload
Member since 2003 • 8139 Posts

There are so many things I dislike about it.

The colour (because I want black), the price (wish it was £150 or less), the lack of DVD playback, all the crappy 3rd party games, the cost of Virtual console games, the average Classic Controller (that's not even as good as a SNES pad), the lack of HD support (which means it looks crap on anything outside a 10 year old TV), the severly lacking online service (so far), the terrible graphics on most games, the badly implemented Wiimote controls on most games, etc etc etc.

I mean if I were to buy a Wii and an Xbox 360, or PS3, how many games are there, that are actually available on both, where I would be likely to purchase the Wii version over say the Xbox 360 version?

It's kind of a retorical question by the way.

It seems to me that there are actually very few instances where it would be worth choosing the Wii version over one of the other versions. This leaves me thinking that if I am to get a Wii then I really only have a few 1st party titles (and only the best 1st party games at that) and a selection of 3rd party titles (most of which are pretty average so far) to keep me entertained on that machine.

Just another one of my concerns with Wii right now, along with a few others, and another reason why I have still yet to buy one. That and the fact that I'm still waiting for it to drop to £150 and be available in black with DVD playback.

One of these days it's all gonna come together though. I'm optimistic...but waiting for these little niggles to be fixed is just a pain in the ass.

It's amazing that the draw of Nintendo's 1st party titles, or my nostalgia for Nintendo or something, is so strong that I still want to get a Wii at some point, despite the long list of things that bug me about it...

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freeload

Does anyone feel the same?

Feel free to get it off your chest.

;)

redmetal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 redmetal86
Member since 2006 • 1123 Posts

tl;dr

j/k

jack_russel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jack_russel
Member since 2004 • 6544 Posts
I feel this same way. I'm not really sure which next gen console I'm gonna buy because they all suck. the 360 breaks down, and they nickle and dime you with add ons the wii is a 3rd party desert, with no online, and I don't particularly love the controller the PS3 is too expensive, and it has no games.
Rick_Henderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rick_Henderson
Member since 2006 • 998 Posts
Just curious but how many times have changed the title of this topic? Anyways, I'd probably be more prone to buy the Wii versions of Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga and The Simpsons Game.
M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

I feel the same way as you do. Sort of. I don't like the Wii simply because of it's 6th generation steroid induced hardware, 3rd party games are lacking. Even if there were quality 3rd party games on the Wii......why the hell would I even bother when 360 (or PS3, PC), the better hardware, has them? It really boils down to original exclusive 3rd party IPs......so far I'm not seeing them. And I don't think there will ever be any original IPs to even take too seriously. Mini-games? No thanks, I have a DS for that.

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freeload

Just curious but how many times have changed the title of this topic? Anyways, I'd probably be more prone to buy the Wii versions of Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga and The Simpsons Game.Rick_Henderson

I changed the content so much that I realised the title didn't make any sense anymore, so I changed it to fit a little better...

jeaglegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jeaglegs
Member since 2004 • 1017 Posts

I still haven't bought a PS3, 360, or Wii. The money I saved up for my next console went to upgrading my PC instead (new high-def mouse, widescreen LCD, and EVGA 8600), because I wasn't real excited about any of them once they all had finally launched.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Wii. Out of the 3 current gen consoles, it's the most unlike my PC. I keep walking by them in the store, though -- looking in the case, thinking about it, then leaving. But maybe I'll just buy more PC games instead :/

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 freeload

I still haven't bought a PS3, 360, or Wii. The money I saved up for my next console went to upgrading my PC instead (new high-def mouse, widescreen LCD, and EVGA 8600), because I wasn't real excited about any of them once they all had finally launched.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Wii. Out of the 3 current gen consoles, it's the most unlike my PC. I keep walking by them in the store, though -- looking in the case, thinking about it, then leaving. But maybe I'll just buy more PC games instead :/

jeaglegs

I can't decide which console to buy too. I keep swinging between one or the other, and sometimes think I may need to get all 3. I also haven't upgraded my PC in a while because even that seems like too much hassle. I don't like Vista's interface and upgrading is just a short term solution to a long term issue etc.

This generation of gaming has me frustrated like no other I tells ya!

emawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 emawk
Member since 2004 • 1820 Posts

For me, the cons outweigh the pros when it comes to the Wii. And the only game I want on it is SSB: B.

So, in a way, I do feel the same way as you.

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Sonicplys  Online
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

What is it about the Wii? Its better then you thats whats it

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freeload

What is it about the Wii? Its better then you thats whats it

Sonicplys

That must be it...

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freeload

For me, the cons outweigh the pros when it comes to the Wii. And the only game I want on it is SSB: B.

So, in a way, I do feel the same way as you.

emawk

At the moment I think the cons outweigh the pros too, which is why I don't currently own one, but I think in time that will change. When the price lowers a little, more good games start to come out that really push the machine and take full advantage of the Wiimote etc. Then I think it will be worth getting a Wii...

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Because, to me, 90% of the stuff you mentionedI couldn't really give a **** about.

The colour (because I want black),

freeload

I love white, ^_^Heck, I had to pick one Gamecube colour, and I bought a white one. I don't even a black controller.

the price (wish it was £150 or less),

freeload

I'm quite happy with the price, beats the other two.

the lack of DVD playback

freeload

I have a DVD Player, thank you very much.

all the crappy 3rd party games,

Freeload

Unlike you, I don't care about how thegame is labelled. I don't care if the game is "first party" or "third party". I just want to play whatever's fun.

the cost of Virtual console games, the average Classic Controller (that's not even as good as a SNES pad)

freeload

You don't HAVE toplay Virtual Console.AndI have a Gamecube controller, so it doesn't matter much to me.

, the lack of HD support (which means it looks crap on anything outside a 10 year old TV)

freeload

Don't really mind.Probably never will, I don't see what's so special about HD. A bigger resolution with half the framerate, woo.

, the severly lacking online service (so far),

freeload

The only online game I ever bought is Mario Kart DS. Andthat I still don't play online much. Online is overratedIMO.

the terrible graphics on most games,

freeload

Don't mind.

the badly implemented Wiimote controls on most games, etc etc etc.

freeload

I agree :P But I haven't played a game with crappy Wii controls yet.

I mean if I were to buy a Wii and an Xbox 360, or PS3, how many games are there, that are actually available on both, where I would be likely to purchase the Wii version over say the Xbox 360 version?

freeload

I'd personally purchase the Madden Wii over Madden PS3. And if there were a Wii NHL, I'd buy the Wii one. But as far as multiplats go, I'd get 'em on a 360. But that doesn't matter to me, the only multiplat this gen I'm actually interested in is RE5. Which isn't coming to the Wii anyway.

It seems to me that there are actually very few instances where it would be worth choosing the Wii version over one of the other versions. This leaves me thinking that if I am to get a Wii then I really only have a few 1st party titles (and only the best 1st party games at that) and a selection of 3rd party titles (most of which are pretty average so far) to keep me entertained on that machine.

freeload

What makes you think every 3rd party game will be multiplat?

Well, all those are my opinion, but whatever :P

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Alt-Tab-Smack it

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freeload

Alt-Tab-Smack it

Ballroompirate

No idea what that means...

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freeload

Because, to me, 90% of the stuff you mentionedI couldn't really give a **** about.

[QUOTE="freeload"]

The colour (because I want black),

Eponique

I love white, ^_^Heck, I had to pick one Gamecube colour, and I bought a white one. I don't even a black controller.

the price (wish it was £150 or less),

freeload

I'm quite happy with the price, beats the other two.

the lack of DVD playback

freeload

I have a DVD Player, thank you very much.

all the crappy 3rd party games,

Freeload

Unlike you, I don't care about how thegame is labelled. I don't care if the game is "first party" or "third party". I just want to play whatever's fun.

the cost of Virtual console games, the average Classic Controller (that's not even as good as a SNES pad)

freeload

You don't HAVE toplay Virtual Console.AndI have a Gamecube controller, so it doesn't matter much to me.

, the lack of HD support (which means it looks crap on anything outside a 10 year old TV)

freeload

Don't really mind.Probably never will, I don't see what's so special about HD. A bigger resolution with half the framerate, woo.

, the severly lacking online service (so far),

freeload

The only online game I ever bought is Mario Kart DS. Andthat I still don't play online much. Online is overratedIMO.

the terrible graphics on most games,

freeload

Don't mind.

the badly implemented Wiimote controls on most games, etc etc etc.

freeload

I agree :P But I haven't played a game with crappy Wii controls yet.

freeload

I'd personally purchase the Madden Wii over Madden PS3. And if there were a Wii NHL, I'd buy the Wii one. But as far as multiplats go, I'd get 'em on a 360. But that doesn't matter to me, the only multiplat this gen I'm actually interested in is RE5. Which isn't coming to the Wii anyway.

freeload

What makes you think every 3rd party game will be multiplat?

Well, all those are my opinion, but whatever :P

I think you are probably just more easily satisfied than me. Which in many ways is a good thing...