What if the 720 actually doesn't have a disk drive?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Flavorysoup
Member since 2011 • 593 Posts

I don't mean to hate on the 720, but I am concerned about how it might not have a disk drive. I mean, I love DD, I game on PC mostly and almost always on steam. But when they remove the disk drive, they remove all backwards compatibility with 360 games you have on disk. And there's the whole used game issues. So what's your opinions about it? I would love it if they put in a blu-ray player.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

"They remove all backwards compatibility..." What are you talking about? It will have the very popular Full HD Re-releases.

Oh, if you are expecting to play 360 games on the new Xbox. Don't, Disk Drive or Not. It will save some tears later on in gaming life.

Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Flavorysoup
Member since 2011 • 593 Posts

"They remove all backwards compatibility..." What are you talking about? It will have the very popular Full HD Re-releases.

Oh, if you are expecting to play 360 games on the new Xbox. Don't, Disk Drive or Not. It will save some tears later on in gaming life.

ShadowDeathX

I should have phrased that better, I mean not having to rebuy every game you bought last gen to play it for the new system.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Looks like you'll be buying a blu-ray player.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ShadowDeathX

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

Flavorysoup

I should have phrased that better, I mean not having to rebuy every game you bought last gen to play it for the new system.

but the demand is there. Console gamers are begging for Full HD Re-releases.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

i only get 70 gbs a month and i still go over. If i had to download all my games there just is no way. next gen games could be 10gb plus on average!

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

i only get 70 gbs a month and i still go over. If i had to download all my games there just is no way. next gen games could be 10gb plus on average!

dontshackzmii
Some of them already are..on the PC platform. Hell Darksiders was 13GB+. And AVP 2010 is 15.7GB... xD Some are huge files, but not the majority.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

Elann2008

Some of them already are..on the PC platform. Hell Darksiders was 13GB+. And AVP 2010 is 15.7GB... xD Some are huge files, but not the majority.

yep and they will get much bigger to. I cant wait to get a 100$ internet bill from going over my limit.

3dfd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 3dfd
Member since 2008 • 767 Posts

I'll prolly kill myself, then Microsoft.

Not really. I'll buy it.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

dontshackzmii

yep and they will get much bigger to. I cant wait to get a 100$ internet bill from going over my limit.

Damn. :( Bandwidth limit sucks!
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShadowDeathX
[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

Elann2008

TERA is 50GBs.
WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

I will use my new slim til it finally dies. By that time I will of got rid of my older gmaes. I do not tend to keep games from earler generations. Once it is beat there is not much reason to play it again. I would download a classic but from this generation they are few and far between. Pretty sure Microsoft will release their bigger games in a collection down the line. I also have 2 Blu-ray players. I want them to cut as much out as possible to keep the cost down. The cheaper the machine the more games I can get at launch. I usually buy 5-7 launch titles just because I know there will be a drought afterwards.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

ShadowDeathX

TERA is 50GBs.

Yeah, I'm referring to SP games, not MMO's. TERA and other MMO's are like 20GB+ not including huge patch files.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
Hmm, one of my desktops doesn't even have an optical drive, games like a beast. I don't care if MS wants to remove a bulky part. I used DD via steam before I had fast internet too I would just download it at a friend's house.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
I bet they will sell it at $300 without a disk drive but with the option to buy a Microsoft disk drive for $200, if you don't want a disk drive you can use download only but they sell the console without a hard drive and a Microsoft hard drive costs $200. So in the end it will cost $700 + Live and lems will keep believing they are getting the cheapest deal.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
If they take out a disk drive, I just simply won't own one. End of story.
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
I won't buy it....ever
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

It better have a disk drive, unless they'll let you download your 360 games onto it. If Halo 4 is good then most likely I'll still be playing it by then (just as I was playing Halo 2 when the 360 came out) and would like to play it on the new system. I wouldn't mind not having one if game prices come down.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

It better have a disk drive, unless they'll let you download your 360 games onto it. If Halo 4 is good then most likely I'll still be playing it by then (just as I was playing Halo 2 when the 360 came out) and would like to play it on the new system. I wouldn't mind not having one if game prices come down.

hockeyruler12
I highly doubt they would pass savings like that on to consumers. Didn't happen when music or books went digital. In fact, you could argue costs went up since they no longer need to compete as hard with a thriving resale market with digital content.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Then there is quite the possibility that I will completely ignore it all together.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts
[QUOTE="hockeyruler12"]

SpruceCaboose
I highly doubt they would pass savings like that on to consumers. Didn't happen when music or books went digital. In fact, you could argue costs went up since they no longer need to compete as hard with a thriving resale market with digital content.

This is true. Let's just hope they don't do that.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I have no intention of buying the next Xbox, so it makes no difference to me.
Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

I don't mean to hate on the 720, but I am concerned about how it might not have a disk drive. I mean, I love DD, I game on PC mostly and almost always on steam. But when they remove the disk drive, they remove all backwards compatibility with 360 games you have on disk. And there's the whole used game issues. So what's your opinions about it? I would love it if they put in a blu-ray player.

Flavorysoup

Keep the Xbox 360!!!! NP!

the only question is what type of storage medium will they use....

• SDD.. NO load times but small drive 64GB maybe?
  • SDHD better option
  • 10k HDD fast but expensive
  • HUGE 1TB 7200 HDD only one you need but load times may come with...
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

I don't know why anyone believes this. DVD drives are super cheap (MS could just use proper, PC-like installs to make up for disc limitations), BD-ROMs aren't that much more, and everyone knows there's a large portion of users who can't/won't use digital distribution.

I guess they could have a driveless system and sell a DVD/BD USB add-on (which could make sense if they really want to push DD, so long as the pricing is remotely reasonable), but that's hardly "ZOMG no drive whatsoever".

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts
I have no intention of buying the next Xbox, so it makes no difference to me.AmazonTreeBoa
Then please explain to me why the f*** you posted in here. Dumbass. OT: If the 720 has no disc drive, I would be torn. On one hand, I love my PC and using Steam, but until MS learns that 20% off is a wimpy sale, I wont buy. I refuse to pay full price for digital games. There are no production, material, shipping, or employee costs with digital games. If MS's digital solution is not at least $10 cheaper than retail counterparts, count me out. In reality though, I'll probably buy one just for Halo. No shooter on any platform has given me as much enjoyment with my friends.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

Elann2008

Isn't MW3 18GB? TF2 I know for a fact is around 19 or 20. Imagine a next-gen MMO on the scale of WoW. It'd be a colossally huge file.
El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 El_Garbanzo
Member since 2012 • 296 Posts

Then the brand of xbox is dead to me

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts
then it'd suffer a quick death like the PSP Go... but yeah the PSP Go already served as a warning to the big three not to go this route, so I'm not worried about it furthermore not likely to happen as MS is trying to design the Xbox brand as a central media hub for the living room, gonna be hard to pull that off without a friggin disc drive to play movies and music and games on
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Looks like you'll be buying a blu-ray player.

Masenkoe

Called Playstation 4.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

But aren't 360 games already HD unlike the PS2 games? So what is the point to re-leases?

[QUOTE="Flavorysoup"]

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

ShadowDeathX

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

What if half the bogus rumors were true :shock: I think that would mean MS will be relaunching the Colecovision with Kinect. :twisted:

Anyhoo, I'm guessing about 3 next box sku's offering different likes for different Mikes. :P

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

I would love it if they removed the disk drive, that's one of the loudest pieces of hardware in the box! The 360 is about as loud as an old refrigerator, the disk drive is part of the problem. The disk drive in my computor is louder than my graphics card (6870) and I DD from Steam every chance I get. DD is the future - embrace it! No more clunky boxes with excessive manuals to clutter your house up, no more misplacing games in wrong boxes and think you lost your game, etc. Disk drives are obsolete, add to manufacturing costs and noise levels. Lose 'em!!!

wraigth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wraigth
Member since 2007 • 912 Posts
Don't worry about it, Microsoft will probably sell you the disc drive separately.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
no optical drive for consoles is a step in the right direction
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts
Does it need with since MS will still be chasing Wii's pot of gold? Not to mention the games they are focusing on can probably be downloaded with ease and limited bandwidth
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

The rumor still says they will have a Card slot.

Though I'm not interested in the Next Xbox.

planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 planbfreak4eva
Member since 2006 • 2856 Posts

people think about backwards compatibility. but other really important issue here is it doesnt play dvd movies. nor blu ray. so a lot of parents i would suspect wouldnt end up buying one for their kids or friends etc...well not majority. it is kind of a deal breaker

brennanhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 brennanhuff
Member since 2011 • 957 Posts

[QUOTE="Flavorysoup"]

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

ShadowDeathX

Yup. I know there a bunch of games I would pay for an HD release. Reasons are: don't own the original console/game, don't have room for original console/game, original console/game look like crap on my tv, not playing emulators on a PC because it's illegal and I will leave PC gaming to the thieves and Farmville players.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
I was already planning on skipping the next Xbox, but if it doesn't have physical media I won't even consider it.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#40 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

No disk drive. No reason for me to buy it. Simple.

Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts

I wouldnt be happy.

No disk drive = no backwards compatibility. Also, i like having physical copies of my games over downloading too. especially with my crappy internet.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

We'll see but in general Xbox platform is pretty much boned.

wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wewantdoom4now
Member since 2012 • 1792 Posts

That would be the best thing ever.

wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wewantdoom4now

I wouldnt be happy.

No disk drive = no backwards compatibility. Also, i like having physical copies of my games over downloading too. especially with my crappy internet.

taterfrickintot

cartridges are **** awesome i have nes and other cartridge based games just laying around everywhere lol they all work.

u dont have to worry about breaking them so much better than a goddamn disk.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="taterfrickintot"]

I wouldnt be happy.

wewantdoom4now

cartridges are **** awesome i have nes and other cartridge based games just laying around everywhere lol they all work.

What about the internal battery and your saves?
wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wewantdoom4now

[QUOTE="wewantdoom4now"]

[QUOTE="taterfrickintot"]

I wouldnt be happy.

MonsieurX

internal battery? wtf cartridges dont have em.

harddrive+cartridge

no batterys

wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 wewantdoom4now

i never liked backwards compatibility.

like halo 2 on xbox360 is garbage compared to original xbox version.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="wewantdoom4now"]

wewantdoom4now

internal battery? wtf cartridges dont have em.

harddrive+cartridge

no batterys

You know,every cartridge got an internal battery for the save...how would you save your game then? If the battery dies,you loose your game and can't save anymore.
Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

then it'd suffer a quick death like the PSP Go... but yeah the PSP Go already served as a warning to the big three not to go this route, so I'm not worried about it furthermore not likely to happen as MS is trying to design the Xbox brand as a central media hub for the living room, gonna be hard to pull that off without a friggin disc drive to play movies and music and games onlamprey263

Netflex....Hulu... Microsoft themselves are going to be a quasi network with there own shows and channels...

PSP GO was smller and offered little. no second analog stick... No way to trade in games for DD games.... consoles are not the same.

It will not suffere the same death. LOOK at what EA and other publishers are doingwith DRM that would not be nessary with this console. SO they will back it. And to tohose who said it will not work .... yea I heard that all too often when Xbox died early. Yet MS is doing better than Xbox did by a long shot.

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
I would not buy one then.............