What if Nintendo had the rights to Sonic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
Imagine if it was Nintendo who developing 3D Sonic games instead of Sega? Would they be better? Would they be worse? So how do you think 3D Sonics would turn out if Nintendo was in charge of them?
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#2 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts
Sonic Miyamotofied.... that'd be interesting
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
The timing is wrong on your avatar. It makes it look like it's supposed to say UFUG

I think there is a fundamental issue with trying to move the fast paced reaction timing gaming style of Sonic to 3D.

That said Nintendo couldn't do any worse.
NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts
Sonic Miyamotofied.... that'd be interestingREVOLUTIONfreak
I agree, that would be pretty interesting. NIntendo can do speed games pretty well. I think we'd get a weird combination of Mario platformer goodness mixed with F-Zero styled speed. Or something completely different that would still be great. Nintendo would go all out on a Sonic game I believe if they had the rights. Seeing as it used to Mario's rival I think they would do justice to the blue hedgehog.
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts
Nintendo and Sonic? Y'know Sega worked on F-Zero GX.. If they wanted speed they should have used that engine =[
DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DressYouUp
Member since 2007 • 579 Posts
Imagine if it was Nintendo who developing 3D Sonic games instead of Sega? Would they be better? Would they be worse? So how do you think 3D Sonics would turn out if Nintendo was in charge of them?Blackbond
It would be RAPED TO DEATH with the same storyline EVERY GAME, probably Tails getting kidnapped by a turtle. YAWN. What made Sonic so good is that it was so different.
greenleaflink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 greenleaflink
Member since 2006 • 3686 Posts
Sonic with Nintendo... will SOLIDFY Sonic as an enternal character. Sega was near sonic extinction. but if Nintendo owned him, or even if he appeared on SMASH BRAWL...that will surely grow his fan base i had no clue of who or what is ice climbers, game and watch, kirby, ness, marth, falco, fox etc...until i got into smash
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shazenab
[QUOTE="Blackbond"]Imagine if it was Nintendo who developing 3D Sonic games instead of Sega? Would they be better? Would they be worse? So how do you think 3D Sonics would turn out if Nintendo was in charge of them?DressYouUp
It would be RAPED TO DEATH with the same storyline EVERY GAME, probably Tails getting kidnapped by a turtle. YAWN. What made Sonic so good is that it was so different.

It's better than a bestiality story line...
Sinheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sinheart
Member since 2003 • 1705 Posts

well.. they don't need the rights. They just need Sega to license the use of sonic, just like how Nintendo licensed the use of the f-zero franchise to sega for the f-zero gamecube game.

now.. imagine sega developing a mario game. It would be neat to see sega develop the next mario game and nintendo develop the next sonic game. I wonder what those games would be like

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
Then we might actually have a good 3D Sonic game for once.
Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts

[QUOTE="Blackbond"]Imagine if it was Nintendo who developing 3D Sonic games instead of Sega? Would they be better? Would they be worse? So how do you think 3D Sonics would turn out if Nintendo was in charge of them?DressYouUp

And Sonic storylines are the bastion of great scripting and voice acting? Give me a break.

Moon_of_Majora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Moon_of_Majora
Member since 2006 • 6065 Posts

Well, there'd be a lot more crazy environments, and really, really weird characters.

The story would start out as "stop Eggman from creating robots using harmless little animals" -- like the old Sonics. But then there'd be a plot twist.

Also, the camera would actually be good.

And Shadow, Silver, Rouge, and Blaze would disappear.

Teh_Stevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Teh_Stevz
Member since 2005 • 5678 Posts
I think it'll be better if Namco had Sonic. In some sence it won't forge well with their hentai related chars but Sonic could do with some drift physics.
iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts
I guess panzer_zwei isn't on right now otherwise he's be the first poster.:P
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
[QUOTE="greenleaflink"]Sonic with Nintendo... will SOLIDFY Sonic as an enternal character. Sega was near sonic extinction. but if Nintendo owned him, or even if he appeared on SMASH BRAWL...that will surely grow his fan base i had no clue of who or what is ice climbers, game and watch, kirby, ness, marth, falco, fox etc...until i got into smash

You'd never heard of Kirby or Fox :shock: I think sega is best. I don't really like these "what if" games.
rabbidcrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rabbidcrazy
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts

If Sonic went to Nintendo (which it never would as long as Sega is still making games), it would be worse. WHY? Because they have no experience with Sonic. All Sega needs to do is get back to the basics. Trash stupid Shadow the Hedgehog and just go with Sonic.

What I think they should do for an "anniversary" game is remake the genesis games in 3D. Still have it be a side scroller... but with the 3D'esq graphics... ala Oddworld on PS1 but better graphics and textures.

walter09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 walter09
Member since 2005 • 289 Posts
Nintendo would've stopped selling consoles a few years ago =P
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blackbond
The timing is wrong on your avatar. It makes it look like it's supposed to say UFUG

I think there is a fundamental issue with trying to move the fast paced reaction timing gaming style of Sonic to 3D.

cakeorrdeath

It starts with the G not with the U lol.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cakeorrdeath
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]The timing is wrong on your avatar. It makes it look like it's supposed to say UFUG

Blackbond

The long pause should be on the second U.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blackbond
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]The timing is wrong on your avatar. It makes it look like it's supposed to say UFUG

cakeorrdeath

The long pause should be on the second U.

But then it would look like it starts with the U. Meh to each his own I guess. We discussed it in the wallpaper thread over at the GUFU Union, nobody else has said anything about what you see. JJ was the one who suggested it I just finished it.
Warp_2567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22 Warp_2567
Member since 2004 • 11701 Posts
[QUOTE="greenleaflink"]Sonic with Nintendo... will SOLIDFY Sonic as an enternal character. Sega was near sonic extinction. but if Nintendo owned him, or even if he appeared on SMASH BRAWL...that will surely grow his fan base i had no clue of who or what is ice climbers, game and watch, kirby, ness, marth, falco, fox etc...until i got into smash

I'm sorry, but Sonic on Smash Bros won't work.....It would be too out of place.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blackbond
[QUOTE="Blackbond"]
But then it would look like it starts with the U. Meh to each his own I guess. We discussed it in the wallpaper thread over at the GUFU Union, nobody else has said anything about what you see. JJ was the one who suggested it I just finished it.
Jandurin
It DOES look like it starts on the U! And ends on the G! cakeorrdeath is entirely correct.

Bah...well that's two people :?
iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts
[QUOTE="Blackbond"]
Jandurin
It DOES look like it starts on the U! And ends on the G! cakeorrdeath is entirely correct.

Actually I don't think it would work either way. This way it looks like GUFUG and if it was changed it would look like UGUFU.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cakeorrdeath
Maybe a long pause after both.
NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts
[QUOTE="Warp_2567"][QUOTE="greenleaflink"]Sonic with Nintendo... will SOLIDFY Sonic as an enternal character. Sega was near sonic extinction. but if Nintendo owned him, or even if he appeared on SMASH BRAWL...that will surely grow his fan base i had no clue of who or what is ice climbers, game and watch, kirby, ness, marth, falco, fox etc...until i got into smash

I'm sorry, but Sonic on Smash Bros won't work.....It would be too out of place.

As out of place as say Solid Snake (who is in the new Smash Bros. Brawl)? Sonic would fit in just fine when you consider the cast of characters already in the game.
KingOfTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#27 KingOfTaco
Member since 2007 • 154 Posts

Then they would take Sonic out and put Mario in.

(is kidding)

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts
Honestly I think it would still stink. I love Sega but the sonic seriers in my opinion leaves a lot to be desired.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts

So the major draw of Sonic is that it tries to impliment a story that sucked anyways? Alrighty then.

When I play a Sonic game, I want speed with great platforming. Hell, that's why most people liked Sonic to begin with.
coltonnaslund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 coltonnaslund
Member since 2005 • 3793 Posts
the last bunch of games would be much better.......but Secret of the Rings looks PIMP!!!
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
We'd see fewer Sonic games and the quality would be higher. Basically the same thing we see with Mario game production cycles, only it'd be Sonic.
r_gam3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 r_gam3
Member since 2008 • 1185 Posts
they would make it awesome.
Lo_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 Lo_Rising
Member since 2007 • 930 Posts
they would run sonic into the ground just like those poor italian plumbers.
newkid69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 newkid69
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts
i think it would be better if sonic were exclusive to nintendo by sega. sonic is a sega icon and it should be made by sega. if sega and nintendo were to have a partnership to make this happen, so be it as long as sega develops the game, not nintendo. i think that most of sega's games are more better suited for nintendo than ps3 or 360.:D
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
sonic with a good dev team behind him might bring him back from the brink.
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts

If Sonic went to Nintendo (which it never would as long as Sega is still making games), it would be worse. WHY? Because they have no experience with Sonic. All Sega needs to do is get back to the basics. Trash stupid Shadow the Hedgehog and just go with Sonic.

What I think they should do for an "anniversary" game is remake the genesis games in 3D. Still have it be a side scroller... but with the 3D'esq graphics... ala Oddworld on PS1 but better graphics and textures.

rabbidcrazy
you dont know what youre talking about. if its nintendo, nintendo would actually do some research on the sonic franchise, before adding there ideas into the own sonic game. if anything nintendo would actually go back to the original sonic games and look at what made the series so special. i think Nintendo would actually bring the original sonic into the 3d world, may even reimagin the sonic series, before it went fully 3d.

if nintendo did it, sonic may win a few awards like mario have done over the years. :lol: oh yeah since brawl nintendo actually made sonice cool again, thats a big start and example of what nintendo could do with the sonic series.
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shazenab

Nintendo would improve the Sonic gameplay. But Sega do have teams that can manage speed focused gameplay and make it absolutly fantastic. Just look at F Zero GX.

Basically sega should just close down Sonic Team and hand the licence over to AM2.

Avatar image for PelekotansDream
PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#38 PelekotansDream
Member since 2005 • 7602 Posts

I find it hard to imagine Sonic with out SEGA and vice versa.

If anything I would rather Nintendo bought SEGA than just one of their games.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

This is not an old thread, at all.

Anyway, dunno. They sure have the money and the devs to do something good.

Deiuos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Deiuos
Member since 2005 • 1402 Posts
Growing up with SEGA and Sonic ... I'd have to say that I'd dramatically die mainly from confusion. My childhood would equal one giant lie.
Kratos_OMEGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kratos_OMEGA
Member since 2007 • 2872 Posts
Sonic sucks. If Nintendo were offered the Sonic license and franchise they would take a dump and give it back to sega as the smelly piece of **** that he and his franchise is.