What if Google Stadia and X-Cloud Crash and burn and the ps5 sells 200 million units

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Will it mean streaming is finally dead and sony just racked up a huge win and taught people a valuable lesson. Don't go into something new and think things are gonna change.

Consoles are for life and sony is the big console player right now.

What if this happens folks and im predicting it will so I mean sucks to be microsoft and google. Invest in sony right now I don't see anyway that ps5 won't destroy next generation with this kinda crap competition. Its really loose right now and sony is gonna make bank.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

Millions of people out there that stream movies and don't care to own a console and will most likely purchase a game streaming device. I have several friends that don't own a current console and if the price is right they will own one.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Stadia's success depends on the games available and the price and the performance of the service on the average consumers ISP speeds.

Its literally advertised as UP to 4K, with Stadia's own site CLEARLY stating that your visual perfomance is heavily impacted by your internet... Only time will tell, I mean even at the reveal they had the 4K previews behind closed doors under heavily controlled situations and everything on the floor was 1080/60. If the price is right and the average person with a 30-50Mb connection can get 4K/60 and the big games will be on the platform then I don't see why it wouldn't be a hit.

To be honest if the latency is improved and the input lag for mouse and keyboard... My next PC might just be a Intel NUC stuck to my monitor with Stadia running on it.

This has the potential to kill physical hardware.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts
@rrjim1 said:

Millions of people out there that stream movies and don't care to own a console and will most likely purchase a game streaming device. I have several friends that don't own a current console and if the price is right they will own one.

streaming movies is so 2018 i buy my movies on bluray at the walmart or wherever i go basically 2019

pff streaming movies thats like older than blockbuster like I don't have the time to sit at the tv doing that i pop in my bluray bam immersion im set

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Stadia and X-Cloud are a security risk because someone can hack their data centers or put a virus. That is what happens if you store everything into one big computer.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

What if unicorns ate bananas and Atari bought XBox.

Seriously, was the silence just maddening?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@rrjim1 said:

streaming movies is so 2018 i buy my movies on bluray at the walmart or wherever i go basically 2019

pff streaming movies thats like older than blockbuster like I don't have the time to sit at the tv doing that i pop in my bluray bam immersion im set

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@rrjim1 said:

LOL I can't stop laughing to this.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@watercrack445 said:

Stadia and X-Cloud are a security risk because someone can hack their data centers or put a virus. That is what happens if you store everything into one big computer.

And yet governments are starting to move things to 3rd party clouds (mainly Microsoft).

Public Sector is also moving that way.

How many viruses have you had from Netflix hmm? or Microsoft/Google services.

That old "cloud fear mongering" has been disproven time and time again.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Stadia success depends on ISPs offering stable connections, not only that some providers don't even offer unlimited services.

michaelmikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 michaelmikado
Member since 2019 • 406 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Stadia's success depends on the games available and the price and the performance of the service on the average consumers ISP speeds.

Its literally advertised as UP to 4K, with Stadia's own site CLEARLY stating that your visual perfomance is heavily impacted by your internet... Only time will tell, I mean even at the reveal they had the 4K previews behind closed doors under heavily controlled situations and everything on the floor was 1080/60. If the price is right and the average person with a 30-50Mb connection can get 4K/60 and the big games will be on the platform then I don't see why it wouldn't be a hit.

To be honest if the latency is improved and the input lag for mouse and keyboard... My next PC might just be a Intel NUC stuck to my monitor with Stadia running on it.

This has the potential to kill physical hardware.

I've talked about it before but it's totally worth stating again.

Higher cloud resources and bandwidth costs MONEY. Google themselves stated they will offer a 720P stream option. The underlying hardware would need to be able to render the game in 4K/60fps before the issue of even bandwidth comes up. We can extrapolate the approximate costs of game streaming by the services that already exist (Most are built with an average of 20-25 hours of gaming per month, in the interest of this exercise we will assume 20 hours per month average because the proposed pricing of GeForce Now):

Shadow:

The current PC streaming service costs $35 per month although it first launched at $50 per month. The specs are slightly lower than that of Google Stadia. However this does NOT include games. At 20 hours per month, this would cost $1.75.

PaperSpace:

They have an excellent breakdown of what you should expect price-wise. https://www.paperspace.com/pricing. The equivalent of Stadia specs would cost you $0.78 per hour or about $15.60 for 20 hours of gaming. Again NO GAMES, no OS.

Geforce NOW. Although still in beta it is proposing a cost of $25 per 20 hours of gaming. This would be for up to 1080P streaming and include only free to play games users would need to bring there own through services such as Steam, etc. The cost per hour would be approximately $1.25.

PS Now. When first launched it presented a rental proposition of 4 hours for $3. Or about $0.75 per hour. At its current monthly offering using the 20 hour metric it would be $1 per hour of gaming. However if we use its $100 per year metric. ($8.33 per month, the price for 20 hours falls to $0.42 per hour.)

Direct comparison of price-feature

Shadow: $1.50 - $1.75 per hour No Games, Includes OS , 4K/60

Paperspace $0.51 - $0.78 per hour No Games, No OS VM dependent.

Geforce Now $1.25 per hour FtP Games, Includes OS, 1080P/60

PSNow $0.41- $1 per hour 700 Games, Custom OS, 720P/30 Downloadable

From our outline above we can see typical PS4 level games would likely fall in the $0.50 and below price per hour for the cloud resources. Where as we could double or even triple that cost per hour as we talk about 4K/60 cloud hardware. Again, this is before we have the discussion of games content which will further the cost. Considering Google's talk of having streams from between 720P/30 to 4K/60 I think they are setting up a tiered model.

My personal guess is as follows for Stadia pricing:

Base tier: $6-$15 or Ad- supported month/ FtP games 720P/30. Purchase games or rentals per hour price: $0.30-$0.75

Mid tier: $25, AA games 1080P/60 some games included. First party games included. Per hour price $1.25

Top tier: $35, AAA games 4K/60 many games included. Some third party games included. Per hour price $1.75

The above seems very reasonable for the market price of running these cloud services because an hour of high-end gaming is NOT free.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

Image result for laughing gifI
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69407 Posts

Sometimes you just have to....

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Like streaming with movies and music it will come down to convenience vs quality.

Music streaming and CDs have reached parity so there is very little reason to go for CD when you can stream at CD quality or higher with something like Tidal, and the wide range of choices and also music going up on streaming at release date means streaming easily makes the most sense.

Movies still have an audience for physical if you are interested in quality as streaming still hasn't hit blu-ray or UHD blu-ray quality, you also have much more limited choice with streaming and wait times for release dates. Blu-ray will usually come out a couple of months after the movie whereas it could take 12 months to hit streaming/TV if it gets there at all.

Gaming at the moment looking at PS Now seems to be more in line with movies in that games are either old or indie and the streaming quality just isn't there, nor will it be for some time.

Its pretty clear that streaming will be the future, but PS5 gen won't be impacted at all.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

@i_p_daily would end up crying himself to sleep for the rest of his life :(

michaelmikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By michaelmikado
Member since 2019 • 406 Posts

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

Like streaming with movies and music it will come down to convenience vs quality.

Music streaming and CDs have reached parity so there is very little reason to go for CD when you can stream at CD quality or higher with something like Tidal, and the wide range of choices and also music going up on streaming at release date means streaming easily makes the most sense.

Movies still have an audience for physical if you are interested in quality as streaming still hasn't hit blu-ray or UHD blu-ray quality, you also have much more limited choice with streaming and wait times for release dates. Blu-ray will usually come out a couple of months after the movie whereas it could take 12 months to hit streaming/TV if it gets there at all.

Gaming at the moment looking at PS Now seems to be more in line with movies in that games are either old or indie and the streaming quality just isn't there, nor will it be for some time.

Its pretty clear that streaming will be the future, but PS5 gen won't be impacted at all.

It's hilarious how closely this process mirrors Netflix and video streaming. People forget Netflix wasn't even the first to implement video streaming, Amazon was and further Netflix only allowed less than 20 hours of streaming per month on a small catalog of titles at SD initially. Netflix won because it made its streaming business cheap enough, for what people wanted which was lots of content and options at a low price. It's the same exact process and will scale up quickly. My favorite article is from 2007 which announced Netflix streaming business . With them even going so far as to tout Blockbuster's advantages because DVDs aren't going anywhere for a long time and Netflix didn't have the infrastructure to be successful long-term in the video distribution business... LOL.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/16/technology/16netflix.html

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

You do realize that Microsoft’s next Xbox console will still be able to play physical games right?

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@daredevils2k said:

@i_p_daily would end up crying himself to sleep for the rest of his life :(

What are you crying about now deflection2k???

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

You do realize that Microsoft’s next Xbox console will still be able to play physical games right?

Protoss couldn't tell his... I won't finish that. Just assume he's wrong 99% of the time, and you don't need to read his posts.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

Maybe Google should try stacking the deck in their favor, ramp up Google Fiber services across the country, make sure streaming gaming can work by giving people high speed affordable internet, instead of being courted by cities like Amazon does for where they want to build their next headquarters.

Anyhow, MS has a dedicated machine so they can push on even if streaming never takes off.

True_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 True_Link
Member since 2019 • 243 Posts

Not gonna happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Chances are Sony will sell 200 million PS5's either way.

I see streaming as going after people who don't already make up the current avid gamers.

All those people with Fire TV/Roku/Android Phones who don't own a PC with graphics card or PS4/Xbox, those are the 1 billion people Xbox always preaching about.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Cows.........

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts
@davillain- said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@rrjim1 said:

LOL I can't stop laughing to this.

LMFAO!!!

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kuu2

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@rrjim1 said:

Don't know what to say about that post. Just LOL...…..

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kuu2

@watercrack445 said:

The idiocy in this thread keeps getting better and better.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

You’re right OP. Technology just stands still and we’ll be buying carts and discs forever. Look at how streaming has failed the movie and music industry?

Thank you for existing, OP.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Okay I gotta know: How long did it take you to think of, and create this thread; and was it longer than it took me to think of, and then type this response?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58297 Posts

I have a feeling that these streaming services will be the middle ground between casual mobile gamers and casual console gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

You know that 100%? I bet it may be digital only, and all the lems complaining will backtrack and still buy it.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5869 Posts

@Random_Matt said:
@Archangel3371 said:

You know that 100%? I bet it may be digital only, and all the lems complaining will backtrack and still buy it.

I have 30+ games on my Xbox, 1 of them is physical.

Wont bother me in the slightest.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44038 Posts

lol :P

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pyro1245

Let's not forget that more people play Fortnite on their phones than the entire 'hardcore' gaming community.

People who care about the quality of how a game gets delivered to them is a fraction of a fraction.

I think this will appeal to the casual market who don't necessarily care about exclusives and just want to play multi-platform games.

Now marinate on the fact that most Sony exclusives only have an attach rate of 10-20%

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

The new switch revision will definitely be a catch to casuals If they can get the price down from £279.99.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46218 Posts
@pyro1245 said:

Let's not forget that more people play Fortnite on their phones than the entire 'hardcore' gaming community.

People who care about the quality of how a game gets delivered to them is a fraction of a fraction.

I think this will appeal to the casual market who don't necessarily care about exclusives and just want to play multi-platform games.

Now marinate on the fact that most Sony exclusives only have an attach rate of 10-20%

I'd say loving a game so much that you want to suffer playing it on a touchscreen is pretty hardcore.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

@Random_Matt: Nope, not 100% but 110%.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#39 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Will it mean streaming is finally dead and sony just racked up a huge win and taught people a valuable lesson. Don't go into something new and think things are gonna change.

Consoles are for life and sony is the big console player right now.

What if this happens folks and im predicting it will so I mean sucks to be microsoft and google. Invest in sony right now I don't see anyway that ps5 won't destroy next generation with this kinda crap competition. Its really loose right now and sony is gonna make bank.

What is X Cloud?

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

300 mbps here of internet speed. 300 becomes pretty standard here in Canada. In a year or so everybody will be browse on 100mbps plus. So Stadia most probably will not crash and burn, but is a very appealing service

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ivangrozny: So every so,for,person in Canada will have 100mbps? Lol, I HIGHLY doubt that.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pyro1245

@R4gn4r0k: touché

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

@vfighter: Not everyone, but biggest majority, yes. 100mbps becomes pretty standard in Canada and US. And Europe and Russia show even greater average internet speeds.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

That could happen sure... it would just mean capitalism continues to matter... which is compeltely under siege in recent times.