What gaming sequel would you change that was a massive disappointment?

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3794 Posts

Is there a sequel of game that you wish could get a do over because you found it so disappointing?

There's a few for me but F.E.A.R. 2 is the biggest downgrade of a sequel that I ever played. Everything is pretty much worst from AI, gun models, gun sounds, physics, slow mo effect and over all bad design of everything glowing it looks so bad. In a perfect world I would have the devs redesign this game from the ground up and make some major changes so it's at least as good as the first game. So what about you what's your game?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 clone01
Member since 2003 • 27656 Posts

Dead Space 3 for me. Such a great series that just fell flat with the third one.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 29218 Posts

Mass Effect Andromeda springs to mind. I still enjoyed it somewhat in general but as a Mass Effect game it could have been so much better.

I want to say Devil May Cry 2 as well as that game was just so bad however there’s been DMC 3, 4, and 5 which were all great games that DMC 2 hardly even matters anymore.

Ninja Gaiden 3 would certainly be one as well. The previous two were such fantastic games and the franchise definitely deserves better then what NG 3 turned out to be.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6729 Posts

Probably Final Fantasy Tactics A2. FFTA was a really good lite srpg game but the sequel, FFTA2 regressed a lot. The plot sucked and the gameplay bores me sometimes.

It on the DS does not help it considering we got the infinitely better graphics and gameplay wise in FFT: War of the Lions and one of my all time fav, Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together on the PSP.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 12800 Posts

NG3.

Super Bowl 49.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 37052 Posts

Fear 2 as well, series started off incredible, then it decided to reboot itself for consoles.

Same with Crysis.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7132 Posts

Ninja Gaiden 3 seems like a good choice haven't played it myself.

Mirrors edge catalyst should have stayed linear. Same with Burnout Paradise

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 5822 Posts

MGS 5 and RE6.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 230 Posts

Mass Effect Andromeda by far. I haven't gone back to it since the many bug fixes, but the raging disappointment I felt after a few hours with that game can't be understated.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45400 Posts

Dragon Age 2. Such a mediocre half-assed cash grab imo. I loved DA 1 and I even loved DA 3 (a lot of people did not), DA 2 just stands out as the weakest by far.

Supreme Commander 2. I loved the first SupCom, total spiritual successor to Total Annihilation and better in every way. But SupCom 2? Bleh.

Thief "reboot" (the third Thief game) was not as bad as people make it out to be, but it did not do the franchise any favors. Still waiting for another Thief game to get that bad taste out of my mouth.

Crysis 2. A pretty good example of "dumbing it down for consoles" if there ever was one.

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint. I mean WT-actual-F went on there? I sort of enjoyed Wildlands despite the flaws, but Breakpoint feels like a game that was made by marketing, not game developers.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 11462 Posts

Deus Ex 2 but it was redeem by HR than MD ruined it again. Such a cursed series. One game good, other have to be bad.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1268 Posts

Diablo 3, Red Faction 2, Breath of Fire V, C & C 4, Supreme Commander 2, Gothic 3, Worms 3D, Duke Nukem Forever, Saints Row The Third, Dawn of War 3

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25018 Posts
@warmblur said:

F.E.A.R. 2

@clone01 said:

Dead Space 3

@mrbojangles25 said:

Thief "reboot"

Crysis 2.

@PinchySkree said:

Diablo 3

All of these are great examples of shitty sequels.

I'll add BioShock Infinite.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 11462 Posts

@Litchie said:
@warmblur said:

F.E.A.R. 2

@clone01 said:

Dead Space 3

@mrbojangles25 said:

Thief "reboot"

Crysis 2.

@PinchySkree said:

Diablo 3

I agree Crysis 2 and FEAR 2 were bad sequels. but worst sequel was Deus Ex 2. infact when Deus Ex 1 is among the greatest games ever, Deus Ex 2 is among the worst games ever. thats huge difference.

FEAR 2 was pretty bad. Crysis 2 was ok but then Crysis 3 happen which is real bad.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 12126 Posts

+1 on Thief reboot. It actually had decent stealth moments when you turned off all the bullshit powers and assists, but the story and game suuuucked. Even the freaking world geometry was halfassed - loading passing through every window and there was one window where you'd exit facing one direction (North I think it was) and on the other side the window was facing (say) West. In other words the physical geometry of the world was impossible - the puzzle pieces of their independently loaded zones didn't even quite fit together

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 3590 Posts

Definitely dead space 3 another for me was Fable 3 huge disappointment after 2.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5806 Posts

@clone01: I get that it didn't fit the mold the first 2 Dead Space games, but I don't get the hate for it. I played and beat the game and it was a really good game.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39999 Posts

@vfighter said:

@clone01: I get that it didn't fit the mold the first 2 Dead Space games, but I don't get the hate for it. I played and beat the game and it was a really good game.

The first few hours in Dead Space 3 isn't really bad at all when you get to outer space parts of the game. But...as soon as you hit the icy planet, it becomes very less scary and not very interesting at all. Dead Space is known for it's being stuck in the vacuum of space, being stuck on an icy planet was the worst part Viceral made in my opinion. Should have stayed in space and it wouldn't suck so bad.

Dead Space 3 got less scary because Isaac adapted to the situation by then. In Dead Space, he had no idea what was going on. In Dead Space 2, he met the necromorphs before, but was still confused. By Dead Space 3, he knew his enemy, and was now on a mission to stop them. You aren't scared because Isaac isn't scared.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it but it could have been better if it wasn't for the whole going to the ice planet.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 8751 Posts

Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness

avenger85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 avenger85
Member since 2015 • 278 Posts

Ninja gaiden 3- black and 2 are the best action games I have ever played

Dead space 3- drop the co op and make it more like how 2 was

Diablo 3 - graphics/loot/story betrayed the franchise

Batman Arkham knight - forced Batman mobile, no boss fights... and the reveal of Arkham knight was lame

Gears 4/5- boring characters, crappy robots to fight, Boring open world sections (in 5)

Please not I did enjoy most games on this list but they all fall short of what they had to live up too.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 469 Posts

Dragon age 2&3. The first game had amazing tactical combat while the other 2 felt like button mashing hack and slash. Hopefully Dragon Age 4 will be similar to the first game, but I highly doubt it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 37052 Posts

@Telekill said:

Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness

I would argue that's (with user-fixes) at least better than some of it's sequels.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 469 Posts

@fedor: Agreed with MGS5. I cannot believe how bad the narrative was compared to the other games.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 1382 Posts

Red Dead 2

Halo 2

Diablo 3

Dark Souls

Fallout 4

Arkham City

Darksiders 2

MW2

Trine 2

Socom 3

Starhawk

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 32304 Posts

Dead Space 3 - Haven't played it but I want a game exactly like the first two games

I would make Duke Nukem Forever release sooner, like in 2001 and it wouldn't be the mess that we have today.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19709 Posts

Mass Effect Andromeda comes to mind first.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 428 Posts

Command and Conquer 4. Franchise killer right there.

Dawn of War 3. Franchise killer right there.

XCom 2. Too much rushing, too many pop ups; just let me scan these bloudy boxes.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#28 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36585 Posts

Uncharted 3

God of War 3

Halo 4 and Halo 5

Dead Space 3

There are probably some others but those come to mind.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45400 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:
@warmblur said:

F.E.A.R. 2

@clone01 said:

Dead Space 3

@mrbojangles25 said:

Thief "reboot"

Crysis 2.

@PinchySkree said:

Diablo 3

I agree Crysis 2 and FEAR 2 were bad sequels. but worst sequel was Deus Ex 2. infact when Deus Ex 1 is among the greatest games ever, Deus Ex 2 is among the worst games ever. thats huge difference.

FEAR 2 was pretty bad. Crysis 2 was ok but then Crysis 3 happen which is real bad.

Hah! I forgot about Deus Ex 2 (Invisible War). That game was a fucking insult. One of the rare occasions where I took a transaction personally.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 9974 Posts

Perfect Dark Zero. That was an absolute let down.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3386 Posts

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. The Franchises just didn't mix. It should have been the first Injustice game. Also, it should have been better just in general.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 5612 Posts

Easily SOCOM 4... what in the hell were they thinking.. I guess it started with 3, but Confrontation was much better.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 45055 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

NG3.

Super Bowl 49.

Haha

Dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 15 Posts

The last Twisted Metal.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 16271 Posts

Nothing will ever equal the disappointment of Zelda II: The Adventures of Faxanadu.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14745 Posts

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

Game did everything wrong that made SoT so amazing. One of the worst sequels ever.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3671 Posts

Doom 2016 Multiplayer and Quake Champions

I'll admit that i had fun with the former, though I can understand Q3A fans not liking what it did and I will admit that it's pretty criminal for an id Software game to not feature rocket jumping. Quake Champions also seemed like it wasn't very well liked by fans of the original either.

Why i'm mentioning both games is because they have their ways in trying to alleviate the starting weapon woes of early arena shooters. Doom via the loadout system and Quake Champions by the ability system. However, I think the best solution in regards to the starting weapon might be the most simple one: Just make the starter not suck. It worked for Brutal Doom and Project Brutality, and I dunno how why it can't work for id Software's multiplayer games.

Also, the Demon Rune was probably the best addition to id Software's multiplayer games

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#38  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3768 Posts

Probably Ultima 8, it was a total change from the non linear and rpgness of Ultima 7. I gave the series one last chance with Ultima 9 but it was almost as bad as Ultima 8. Probably the only good that came from Ultima 8 was they salvaged the engine and made the Crusader series, but trying to play that game now is a painful experience because of how bad that engine actually is.

Another would be Sims 4 from Sims 3.... now I actually like most things in Sims 4 more, but the sequel lacks some essential things that were in Sims 3. Mostly the lack of open world and also the infinite amount of colors you could create in CAS or buildmode with the color wheel which Sims 4 still doesn't have and likely never will.

Civ 6. I probably would like this game more if Civ 5 didn't exist but since it does, I really have no reason to play Civ 6. I dislike how it looks graphically and the gameplay didn't hook me as Civ 5 did and the music is not nearly as good.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#39 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 37082 Posts

Zillion 2

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 13989 Posts

All of the FFXIII saga. On paper it shouldn’t have been as bad as it was, but woof, what a wreck.

I echo the sentiment against Crysis 3. Disastrous, top to bottom.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26027 Posts

To name a few

• Dead Space 3
  • Dawn of War 3
  • RE6
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • MGS4
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#42  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 7535 Posts

Doom 2016: It would not be a wave shooter or have stupid glory kills but instead it would have complex level design and multiplayer similar to the original games.

Shenmue 3: They should have ended it here but instead they want to drag it out over two more games that might never get done.

Everquest 2: Id make Everquest 1 Remaster instead. Just EQ1 with better graphics, and an up to date engine with area streaming instead of zones.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 6992 Posts

gears 4 and halo 4. two series' handed over to two near brand new game studios unfortunately nowhere near ready enough to step into epic and bungie's giant shoes. could see it coming a mile off. shame.

call of duty 3. after cod 2 authentically captured some of the most dramatic and famous battles of ww2, treyarch decided to follow it with a ww2 game based entirely in france, largely from the view of the canadians and polish, with practically every mission based in a near identical looking small town with green and brown fields and barns. console only too. could have done so much more with it back in that innocent time before the yearly instalment model turned it into a cynical mp game with tacked on campaign.

splinter cell double agent for setting the series down a story path of no return.

fallout 4 aka fallout 3.5. nothing like the jump from oblivion to skyrim. symbolic of bethesda game studio's lazy af attitude to this gen. a waste of the potential of combining the strengths of 3 and nv to create a worthy sequel.

and +1 for thief