What gaming franchise started great and went off the rails?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 10189 Posts

I'll get the ball rolling

Mario Kart, F-Zero, Forza Horizon, Halo, Contra, Dead Rising, TMNT, Star Fox, Super Mario RPG, Banjo Kazooie, Battletoads, Lost Planet, Ghosts n Goblins, Perfect Dark, Castlevania, Ridge Racer, Commander Keen, Warcraft

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 8142 Posts

Mass Effect is one that comes to mind... :(

Magnum3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3 Magnum3000
Member since 2020 • 1394 Posts

Many comes to mind

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

Silent Hill, Max Payne, Doom, Command and Conquer, Bayonetta, and Tomb Raider.

With the exception of Silent Hill, I think all these franchises are still good, just not nearly as good as they once were.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 1066 Posts

Many good suggestions here. Add Splinter Cell. And I mean Splinter Cell back in the old days when it was a stealth franchise.

I also want a new Colony Wars game or Destruction Derby gane (PS1 games)

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 10282 Posts

@girlusocrazy: I’ll play along.

Uncharted, TLOU, GOW, LBP, R&C, Sly, Killzone, Resistance, inFAMOUS.

Am I doing this right OP?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sevenizz  Online
Member since 2010 • 6132 Posts

@girlusocrazy:

Mario Kart

Got better with age with Double Dash being its peak

Forza Horizon

Got better with age with 3 being its peak

Halo

Still stellar multiplayer

Ridge Racer

Got better with age with 6 being its peak

On topic - Ghost Recon, Titanfall, Splinter Cell. I want to add Rainbow Six here - but the first few weren’t great and the franchise peaked at 3.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 16185 Posts

Splinter cell, Rainbow six, Ghost Recon, Wolfenstein.

to name a few. came to my mind. theres probably more.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4122 Posts

@girlusocrazy: What the hell is F-Zero doing on that list?!

Need for Speed. I've heard good things about Heat, but even so, this series has splintered off in so many directions it has no real identity left.

Jak and Daxter. Pretty good mascot platformer, then Saturday morning GTA, then a racing game, then a lousey mascot platformer.

Tony Hawk. A cautionary tale of the perils of annual franchises.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@judaspete: Sega's F-Zero games started off good but quickly became too insane to keep up with. Maybe I suck or something but I've been able to master Wipeout games which can get quite fast too. F-Zero just gets out of hand and impossible after a certain point, it was unenjoyable for me. I tried so much I never want to play it again. Now Nintendo never wants to make another one because they feel Sega put such a spin on it that they can never keep it going in that direction.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4122 Posts

@girlusocrazy: Fair enough. Took me 8 years to unlock the diamond cup, no way I'll ever manage to get the AX tracks. Still love the game even though it kicks my ass.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 320 Posts

Resistance. I really like the first game, think it's a solid all around fps and would rather play its campaign then CoD or Halo. The Chimera were pretty interesting too.

2nd tried way too hard to emulate CoD.

3rd was better then 2 - but did not like it as much as 1. It did nothing to build on the lore from the first 2 games and just felt like ok lets get this over with. Performance was pretty bad too.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 3219 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@judaspete: Sega's F-Zero games started off good but quickly became too insane to keep up with. Maybe I suck or something but I've been able to master Wipeout games which can get quite fast too. F-Zero just gets out of hand and impossible after a certain point, it was unenjoyable for me. I tried so much I never want to play it again. Now Nintendo never wants to make another one because they feel Sega put such a spin on it that they can never keep it going in that direction.

wait f-zero on a sega? i thought it was a nin game only?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 15606 Posts

Metal Gear Solid.

Great game until Kojima began sniffing too much of his own farts and buying into the praise of his sycophants that proclaimed his pretentious, convoluted garbage as the next coming of Shakespeare. Nothing quite like soda drinking monkeys and fecal humor combined with juvenile sexual objectification of women to speak on profound truths, yup.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 43769 Posts

Battletoads only has one game prior to the current one and it wasn't great. Too much fake praise to Rare as a developer. Nostalgia is clogging yall judgement.

With that said, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Halo and Mario (platformer).

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 1587 Posts

Probably be easier to list the ones that haven't lost their way.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@gifford38: It wasn't on Sega, it was on Nintendo platforms. The GameCube and Arcade F-Zero games were developed by Sega though. I was saying the Sega developed ones were when the series became unenjoyable for me, mostly because of the difficulty curve. If it were more forgiving then I would be happy with them.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 805 Posts

Gears and halo without a doubt

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 42224 Posts

Tomb Raider.

By the time 4 was made (The Last Revelation) the team were sick of making the games went behind the Publishers back and killed off the character.

They were promptly ordered to retcon that shit, pump out Chronicles, and continue on with a new Trilogy of "edgy" Lara that ended their reign with the franchise damaging the IP's legacy.

The Reboot largely sucked.

The second reboot sucked.

The spin-off Lara Croft games are good though, along with Anniversary.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6117 Posts

Battlefield

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

#21 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15117 Posts

Double Dragon

Final Fight

Prince of Persia

Breath of Fire

Star Ocean

Tomb Raider

Alundra

Grandia

Silent Hill

Wii series

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 9428 Posts

Megaman. Legend series was a good direction but then they pivoted to Battle Network and the PS2 Megaman games.

marleygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By marleygamer
Member since 2020 • 132 Posts

echo the dolphin

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 1467 Posts

Final Fantasy

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21469 Posts

Dragon Age (Dragon Age: Origin was awesome to me. Then the 2nd one came out which was an utter letdown. And although I have the 3rd one, I haven't really played it with the main reason being the fact that they just had to make it difficult to port over past game data instead of being simple like mass effect series...)

Need for Speed (It's just been up and down with the series after Most Wanted (2005))

Honestly, that is all I can think of....

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#26  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18922 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin: What makes you say Bayonetta isn't as good as it once was? Granted, it's been forever since we got 2, but 2 was amazing, borderline a straight upgrade from the first, which was already a great game.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

@vl4d_l3nin: What makes you say Bayonetta isn't as good as it once was? Granted, it's been forever since we got 2, but 2 was amazing, borderline a straight upgrade from the first, which was already a great game.

Multiple tiny little grievances that make the game much less fun to replay than the original

• Umbra climax is incredibly imbalanced. There is little reason to spend magic on anything else
  • Moon parries not rewarded with additional witch time
  • Cannot launch medium and large enemies outside of witch time, even with weaves. Only whips can manipulate SOME of these enemies outside of witch time.
  • Inferior boss fights
  • Verse ranking system has much stricter time, and completely screwed up combo score that allows you to spam the same moves to rack up points

There may be more, but I haven't played the game in years.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 3613 Posts

Sonic the Hedgehog: early games were generally well-received until the Sega Saturn era when their quality become inconsistent. The lowest point in the series history was 2006's Sonic the Hedgehog.

Mario & Luigi (RPG series): The first three games in the RPG series were well-received and I enjoyed Bowser's Inside Story on the Nintendo DS, but recent original entries do not live up to the earlier games. I am not including the enhanced versions of the first (Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions) and third (Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey) games on the 3DS.

Paper Mario (RPG series): The first two games in the series were well-received with the second game (The Thousand-Year Door on the Gamecube) being the best in the series, but starting with the RPG/platformer hybrid Super Paper Mario on the Wii, things began to change for the worse. While the recent entry for the Switch, The Origami King, has its flaws, at least the series is now heading in the right direction after more than fifteen years.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5991 Posts

the best Mario Kart is Mario Kart 8

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 16948 Posts

Wait what ??? F-Zero last entry was the best ... if anything that franchise died while on top of its game. Also Mario Kart was so so after Double Dash, but 8 is fantastic.

Anyway ... for me, the easy pick is Mass Effect, i mean i loved 3 despite the flaws, but Andromeda was a huge, huge disappointment.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: -5

#31  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 4081 Posts

Syndicate, when EA decided to turn it from the great RTS it is into a crap FPS with so much bloom it caused blindness to everyone who played it. But it actually got bad after the first game though, even Syndicate 2 was way less of a good game than the original even though it was still an RTS. Syndicate was the last and only great Syndicate.

Simcity 2013---> heh nice going EA, online only with restricted building mechanics, you could do more in Simcity 2000 like terraform the world and that game was 20 years older.

Sims 5 - I predict this will be locked into an online only games as a service type thing. Lootboxes/Surprise cancer mechanics, and locked/restricted modding. This is where the series will die.

C&C 4 - Another EA blunder to an epic series

Ultima 8 - This is where you knew the Ultima series was doomed... going from such a non linear game like Ultima 7 to a linear game with bad platforming? Then Ultima 9 was the final nail in the coffin, thanks EA.

Sorry I can't think of any other company that has screwed up so much as EA with their franchises. I kinda throw in Medal of Honor here also, MOHAA was probably the peak of the series, its been nowhere near that quality since.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 12624 Posts

Final Fantasy, Perfect Dark, Resident Evil, Sonic, Turok.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3506 Posts

I think the better question is what gaming franchise stayed great.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 16185 Posts

@npiet1 said:

I think the better question is what gaming franchise stayed great.

Doom.

even thought it change the direction and divide fanbase. it still remain quality.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blamix
Member since 2006 • 1092 Posts

Call of Duty

Halo

Tomb Raider

TellTale Games

WESTBLADE85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WESTBLADE85
Member since 2013 • 266 Posts

Wouldn't the list be much shorter if we listed (still ongoing) franchises that did not?

Even if that was the case, I couldn't come up with anything, though. Everything is either ruined by microtransactions, plagued by DLC's, lost its identity/stagnate or the latest entries are just a quick cash grab.

/EDIT: Should proof-read my posts at least a little bit...

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 769 Posts

The most obvious is Metal Gear Solid part five was a massive let down.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 769 Posts

@Jag85: I must be in the minority, however I actually really enjoyed Grandia 2 and 3, even Extreme.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 26552 Posts

Most long running series. I'll just list some, as there are a shitload.

Mario Kart
8 is good but it ain't no Double Dash. I dislike how Nintendo likes to add one new thing, and remove three other things from the MK games.

Prince of Persia
Sucked after Sands of Time.

Paper Mario
They decided the fun formula needed to be changed to a boring formula. Great. I'm a huge Paper Mario fan, and I haven't bought a single PM game since they fucked over their fans.

Diablo
3 was lame as hell. Hope they can do something cool with 4.

Tomb Raider

Battlefield

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 3613 Posts

@Yams1980 said:

Ultima 8 - This is where you knew the Ultima series was doomed... going from such a non linear game like Ultima 7 to a linear game with bad platforming? Then Ultima 9 was the final nail in the coffin, thanks EA.

I remembered playing Ultima 8 in the mid 1990s where I have to save the game each time I have to make a jump from one platform to another because one miscalculated jump and I fall into my death. Also, a bug at the end of the game prevents me from finishing it that I have to write a letter to Origin about it and the developer was happy to respond by providing me with the DOS prompts to fix the problem. This was the days before I first used e-mail.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: -5

#41 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 4081 Posts

@onesiphorus: I had to do the same thing. Saving between each jump because of how awful the controls were. I think you had to press both left and right mouse button to jump or some insane thing, what kind of crack were they smoking?

I can't believe they actually thought that terrible engine was good enough to use for Crusader No Remorse/Regret... those games would have been a ton better with their own built engine instead of converting the broken Ultima 8 one to work with them.

You talk about a bug that prevented from completing the game... I had this with countless EA games from the 90s. I also had to talk to some tech person for Crusader No Remorse when I had that game for a game breaking bug, they just gave me cheats to bypass the level with the problem.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

#42 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15117 Posts

@robbie23 said:

@Jag85: I must be in the minority, however I actually really enjoyed Grandia 2 and 3, even Extreme.

Grandia 1 & 2 were great. But Grandia 3 and Extreme were disappointing.