What game series did you use to enjoy but they changed the gameplay to something you hate?

• 54 results
Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

For me it has to be the Battlefield games I loved Battlefield 2 it's my fav MP game of all time then the series turned more into COD since the Bad Company games and it only has gotten worst. I would love for this series to go back to it's roots and be more tactical based but I know it will never happen unfortunately such wasted potential.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#2 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I won’t declare I hate the game, but the requirement of stagger blows in Sekiro puts me off entirely. That one mechanic makes the grand-scale duels feel cheap and manufactured in every major encounter.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Final Fantasy. Was once one of my favorite series.

Part of it is on them. Part of it is just that my own gaming tastes have changed.

It's not solely the gameplay though, it's pretty much every aspect of their games that puts me off.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Hate isn't the word and it's a strong word at that. Saying "Dislike" is more better. Anyways, I'll go with Mass Effect, it went from being a fun RPG to an ARPG when Mass Effect 2 release and I wasn't a fan of that but nevertheless, the series was still good but parts of me misses those RPG elements.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5248 Posts

The Ultima series. I loved Ultima VII: The Dark Gate and its sequel the Ultima VII: The Serpent Isle and their respective expansion games, The Forge of Virtue and the Silver Seed. However, when Ultima VIII: Pagan was released in 1995, the gameplay changed in a way that I took issue of it. I remembered that I had to save the game everytime I had to make a successful jump from platform to platform because the jumping of my Avatar is very imprecise that it make it easy to fall his death. Also, the game had a bug that prevented me from finishing the game that I had to contact Origin to help me fix it. It was one of the few times that I ever contacted a game developer to help me with a game's problem.

I never played the last game in the series, Ultima IX: Ascension because it was so bad just after watching my brother play through it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I use to feel that way when GTA moved from top-down 2D to 3D but I finally came around to loving it by Vice City.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts
  1. Dark Souls 3. The formula is the same but I never really liked the gameplay, probably due how the enemy moves a lot faster than player most of the time and how dang linear the game is compared to DS1 and DS2. Really bored me in subsequent NG+ and on due to there is only route to take. One thing That I liked about DS3 is that easy bosses like dancer and champion gundyr became increasingly hard in each NG+ while Nameless and Gael becomes a joke when you realize how limited their moveset were. I think I probably just dislike DS3 because Bloodborne existed.
  2. Harvest Moon post Back to Nature/Friend of mineral town. all Harvest moon/Story of seasons game post Back to Nature never really nailed what made Back to Nature such a great Harvest Moon game. Thankfully, a remaster for Back to Nature is coming to Switch.
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Resident Evil.

I can't stand 7 being first person. Aside freon that though, it doesn't feel like a Resident Evil game.

It's a great horror game. Not a good RE game.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#9  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Definitely don't hate the new one, but I prefer the old God of War games. They are more epic and action focused. I don't care for the RPG elements of the new game. Too much time wasted in menus changing gear, crafting, etc..

I feel the same way about Zelda. Old Zeldas had a lot more creativity and cool designed elements. Breath of the Wild is more of a generic open world game.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

Ni no kuni. Battle system was limited but fun in a quasi pokemon kinda way. Had no fun with NNk2 battle style.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Battlefield V made this drastic change of direction with 5.2 and I'm still not sure why.

I loved Battlefield V from the early alpha up until the Pacific launched.

Best way I could describe it was a mix of the more casual Battlefield 1 gameplay with more hardcore elements from series like Red Orchestra and Rising storm: there was crouch sprint, no full health regen, satisfying and deadly gunplay, you had to spot enemies yourself instead of relying on a minimap. Also there were tank turrets that moved like actual tank turrets instead of at the speed at which you could turn your mouse...

Ever since 5.2 I don't think I've played more than an hour in Battlefield V. I just completely lost interest. And reading many discussions, I see a lot of people feel the same..

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58948 Posts

Fear 2 and Crysis 2.

Both basically shitty attempts are rebooting the franchise for thems console-bucks.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2564 Posts

Don't hate them but i really don't like them anymore and those are Battlefield and Final Fantasy, for the reasons that others have already metioned above.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#14  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Not gonna name games, but shooters have become too much like COD and Sony exclusives too much same third person movies (ok i name one Dad of War sucks). Like someone else posted before me i also prefer the old GoW. As for shooters on consoles its like ever since COD virus people have been indoctrinated into accepting aim assist. One time a non intelligent friend told me console shooters need aim assist... the fk? First thing i do in single player games is turn it off! But of course not just the assist, COD is weightless, healthless casual trash.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Fear 2 and Crysis 2.

Both basically shitty attempts are rebooting the franchise for thems console-bucks.

Yep, for me F.E.A.R. 2 is the worst gaming sequel of all time and Crysis 2 isn't far behind it's a straight up tragedy what happen to those series they deserved so much better. I like to think in a parallel universe somewhere the real PC sequels came out.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Fear 2 and Crysis 2.

I agree.

but then Crysis 3 was even worse sequel than Crysis 2 ever was. absolute trash and most forgotten game in series.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@davillain- said:

Hate isn't the word and it's a strong word at that. Saying "Dislike" is more better. Anyways, I'll go with Mass Effect, it went from being a fun RPG to an ARPG when Mass Effect 2 release and I wasn't a fan of that but nevertheless, the series was still good but parts of me misses those RPG elements.

What RPG elements? The higher amount of "skills" which were largely useless? The customization of weapons which were again, largely useless?

Mass Effect 1 was jank and calling it an RPG while calling Mass Effect 2 an ARPG is a farce. They're both ARPG except the original one plays like garbage.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Paper Mario.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uninspiredcup  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Fear 2 and Crysis 2.

I agree.

but then Crysis 3 was even worse sequel than Crysis 2 ever was. absolute trash and most forgotten game in series.

Never even bothered with 3 my freind, continuing to support them would be silly. And then they dieded. Now they make shitty survival game. Sad.

Rainbow Six New Vegas and Ghost Recon Wildlands can get fucked as well.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Sonic.

The original ones on Megadrive nailed gameplay. They were just perfect. Transition to 3d didn't work to me, and then Sonic 4, for some reason, changed gameplay and didn't use the brilliant character physics original games used to have.

Gladly Sonic Mania put the series back on track.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Fear 2 and Crysis 2.

I agree.

Never even bothered with 3 my freind, continuing to support them would be silly. And then they dieded. Now they make shitty survival game. Sad.

but if Crysis 4 announced today. it would be more open and more ambitious than Crysis 1. back in days Crysis has to be dumbed down in order to work on consoles.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Well this one is easy for me.

Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy 15 feels so much more like a Kingdom Hearts game to me than a actual Final Fantasy. Very disappointing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 uninspiredcup  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Fear 2 and Crysis 2.

I agree.

but if Crysis 4 announced today. it would be more open and more ambitious than Crysis 1. back in days Crysis has to be dumbed down in order to work on consoles.

Console hardware isn't necessarily the problem, following trends and assuming the user-base is thick also contibutes.

Ubisoft outright said they changed Rainbow 6 (and to their credit it paid off) to an action game to meet "expectations".

Which typically translates as "we don't give a shit about what it is, as long as it makes money".

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Fear 2 and Crysis 2.

I agree.

Console hardware isn't necessarily the problem, following trends and assuming the user-base is thick also contibutes.

Ubisoft outright said they changed Rainbow 6 (and to their credit it paid off) to an action game to meet "expectations".

Which typically translates as "we don't give a shit about what it is, as long as it makes money".

1. Console hardware is the problem and trend nowadays is open world. there is no way next Crysis would be linear shooter. it will be more open ended than original.

2. Ubisoft never develop early Rainbow six. red storm did. Ubi develop vegas as console tactical shooter and it come cover shooter.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 uninspiredcup  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I agree.

1. Console hardware is the problem and trend nowadays is open world. there is no way next Crysis would be linear shooter. it will be more open ended than original.

2. Ubisoft never develop early Rainbow six. red storm did. Ubi develop vegas as console tactical shooter and it come cover shooter.

Red Storm were, and are, dictated to by Ubisoft.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Assassin's Creed. I find it pretty hard to enjoy now as it's completely overwhelming. The last one I really enjoyed was Unity.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Only one springs to mind and that's Call of Juarez, once they moved it to modern times and made one of the worst games ever released in the Cartel I stopped playing the series, which pretty much died a horrible death after that even though there was a small game in Gunslinger.

SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SBan83
Member since 2019 • 119 Posts

The Need for Speed series. I liked it when it was just supercars + exotic locales all over the world. Now we've got this open world sandbox thing and always set in the US, which I must admit was a dream scenario back in the days of the early NFS games but now that it's possible, it's just meh.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghosts4ever

@i_p_daily said:

Only one springs to mind and that's Call of Juarez, once they moved it to modern times and made one of the worst games ever released in the Cartel I stopped playing the series, which pretty much died a horrible death after that even though there was a small game in Gunslinger.

Actually its Gunslinger that turn out to be best. every other game before that was just terrible. be it original, bound in blood or worst of cartel.

dogfish515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 dogfish515
Member since 2004 • 781 Posts

@lamprey263:

I always argue that gta2 is up there as a core/pure GTA experience for those that enjoyed the series before the shift to 3D. It SHOCKS me when I hear some younger people say they thought gtaIII was the first (how dumb can you be to see III and think that).

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Rainbow Six. Remember when it was a thinking mans game and you had to lay out your plan of entry first?

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Dragon age 1 was amazing, but part 2 had brain dead button mashing combat.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

@voljin1987: Part 2 was way too easy even on the hardest difficulty.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

The easiest one that comes to mind by for is Final Fantasy. In my opinion everything after X (X2 I suppose) was utter trash. Why in the hell would I want to play a game where everyone in the party fights automatically?

People talk about SONY games being interactive movies, but a lot of RPG's in this newer era of RPG's have the ability to be completely non played... like just switch to a character right after they attack (in games where you actually CAN switch characters.. but don't even get me started on the ones you can't). Another great game was Ni No Kuni... 2 was trash for the same reason. How about my favorite RPG franchise of all time Breath of Fire the first 3 were phenomenal and after that... why.. just why?

I get people don't want to think or try sometimes but this crap is just lazy. I DO however love the fact that games like Divinity (among others) have became more popular and are bringing a more hardcore approach to an oldschool style of gameplay, but I want to see more love for the RPG genre as a whole.

I would be MUCH more interested in the FFVII reboot if they have/add/already do have the option to turn it completely turn based like the original. I know there are smaller indie traditional RPG's out there and I know Dragon Quest has tried to stay traditional while also trying to push the bar a bit, but why not just make it standard turn based, active time, and full control (one character control crap)? Well, I actually know the answer to that, and that is that it costs a LOT more money.

Dragon Age did a good job with melding the two in a fresh way that actually felt well, but they have strayed from the formula a bit. I still enjoy the franchise, but it is definitely an exception and not the rule.

I just don't understand why ANYONE would prefer not actually controlling most of the action over controlling every facet. Sure, I know that some want a happy medium, but I think in those cases there should be an assisted play mode and a full turn based mode (that not many games take advantage of) I think making brutal difficulty full turn based RPG's would do VERY WELL at a AA or AAA level. I know there are a couple out there that have tried (or came close with hybrids), but they (for me) mostly miss the mark and production values just aren't there.

I'm hoping to see more of these type of games next gen, and since they are picking up steam again along with one life third person games... well, next gen could be great for me. Just add in some great platformers, a lot of quality AA games, bring back college sports, better and more MMO's, and better/more expansive survival online games and it will be awesome. In all actuality I expect most of the things I want to see for the first time in 3 gens. I guess time will tell.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

Actually its Gunslinger that turn out to be best. every other game before that was just terrible. be it original, bound in blood or worst of cartel.

The only thing that is terrible is your opinion, I mean you only play first person shooters and still manage to have the worst opinion on them, that takes some serious lack of brain capacity.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dimebag667  Online
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

Too many to name them all, but..

Battlefield

CoD

Halo

God of War

Diablo

Just a few

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghosts4ever

@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

The only thing that is terrible is your opinion, I mean you only play first person shooters and still manage to have the worst opinion on them, that takes some serious lack of brain capacity.

thats the thing. I dont only play FPS but other genres too but Im more expert on FPS than you.

Bound in blood was COD in wild west. with mediocre shooting. It was gunslinger which was amazing game.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

The Metro series came to mind. I dislike the fact that they decided to go open world/open areas for Exodus. I'm really tired of this trend in video games. Totally killed my interest in playing Exodus.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

thats the thing. I dont only play FPS but other genres too but Im more expert on FPS than you.

Bound in blood was COD in wild west. with mediocre shooting. It was gunslinger which was amazing game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#40 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69456 Posts

Used to enjoy racing games until they all migrated to open world games. Burnout and Need for Speed comes to mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

There's just something about the earlier Super Smash Bros. games that was special. I can still sit down and enjoy Ultimate today, I'm not saying that I hate the games now. But I feel like the original N64 game was the most balanced, and Melee was a great sequel. I think Brawl is where things went downhill, in part because the Smash Ball was added to the game.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
  • Metal Gear Solid 5 really pissed me off. It went from a well-planned and intricate game to another unsophisticated open world time waster.
  • Tomb Raider -- I don't necessarily hate the new games. I actually enjoy them a lot. But it's more action than it is platforming and puzzle solving; something from the old games I miss sorely. It's hard for me to consider it true Tomb Raiding.
  • Mirror's Edge 2 -- Same reason I hated MGS5. More unplanned open world bs.
  • Assassin's creed -- Really loved the first two games, but it became a money-printing machine that lost all its mysticism and fun through lack of innovation and almost yearly releases that convoluted the series' lore.

I am sure if I sit and really think about it there are many other games I can come up with, but for now the ones listed above were the first that came to mind.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#43 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69456 Posts

@verbalfilth said:
  • Tomb Raider -- I don't necessarily hate the new games. I actually enjoy them a lot. But it's more action than it is platforming and puzzle solving; something from the old games I miss sorely. It's hard for me to consider it true Tomb Raiding.

I can totally relate to the bold. The older games felt like I was exploring. The newer is just too story driven.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Pedro: ditto. I actually enjoy then a lot, but it's not what I think of for the series and I'd rather have the old design philosophy back

To the OP: since it's timely - Warcraft. 3 took the series in a crappy proto-moba direction and the "reforge" is evidently doing its best to counteract the redeeming qualities that 3 had

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

The Longest Journey to Dreamfall. Went from one of the best story point and click adventure game to 3rd person whatever and managed to ruin every character in the series.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Ace Combat 6 had amazing gameplay physics. Every aircraft felt different, and every skin of each aircraft felt different. Still discovering things 10 years and hundreds and hundreds of hours later. It felt exhilarating to fly in that.

But Ace Combat 7 has boring aircraft physics and all planes feel the same, regardless of whether they have delta wings or whether they have thrust vectoring. It's a real shame. Ace Combat 7, while I still play it, is HAWX 3, in fact idk, because HAWX 2 at least had interesting ideas with its physics.

Even many of the levels feel like more of a chore than they do fun. I've played most of the levels in Ace Combat 6 hundreds of times trying out different things, there's so much re-playability. Some of the levels in Ace Combat 7 are only a bit more fun than watching paint dry.

The problem with Ace Combat is that the company were stupid enough to make Ace Combat 6 Xbox exclusive, so the core audience only knows the PS games. So they're afraid of moving the series forwards and they basically release a new PS2 Ace Combat with better graphics. That basically is what Ace Combat 7 is, a pretty PS2 game. Graphics aside, I think the game could probably run on a PS2.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1237 Posts

@PAL360 said:

Sonic.

The original ones on Megadrive nailed gameplay. They were just perfect. Transition to 3d didn't work to me, and then Sonic 4, for some reason, changed gameplay and didn't use the brilliant character physics original games used to have.

Gladly Sonic Mania put the series back on track.

And I think their basically going to ignore Mania going forward from what I read. Brilliant people over there.

As for me ...

Somebody mentioned the NFS series earlier. Totally agreed. I want one that's non open world and has tracks all over the world. Going open world also hurt Burnout, and Mirror's Edge.

Assassin's Creed, I used to like the series but have come to the realization that it was not as good as I thought. However atleast it's not a garbage RPG like Origins/Odyssey.

The one that takes the cake for me though is God of War. I wanted to throw up when they unveiled the new one in 2016 and don't know if I will ever play it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Final Fantasy. I love turn based.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Dragon Age

First was good. The rest were crappy boring action games.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Fear 2 and Crysis 2.

I agree.

You mean Hunt: Showdown? It's actually pretty damn good.

I despise Crytek as much as the next guy for what they did, but I'm not gonna close my eyes if they actually make something nice.