What game(s) have the best ending?

• 74 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#1 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24043 posts) -

I loved the endings to Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2. Kojima has this way of building things up, and then blowing you away at the end (or leaving you confused? lol) The original Metal Gear Solid was so unique; just when you thought you beat Liquid and the game is over, you still have to escape Shadow Moses before it gets nuked. This leads to a high speed chase where Liquid comes back out of no where, and you have to shoot the crap out of everyone before time runs out. Then the games ends with a couple revelations, and the characters talking about life and what's next. The credits play with some of the best music I ever heard. And then when you thought it was truly over, the game ends with yet another plot reveal, via codec. It sets you up for the next game nicely. As for Metal Gear Solid 2's ending, it's kind of like 1's ending, but on on some serious far out their drugs, lol. But I love it anyway.

What about you, SW? What game(s) have the best ending?

#2 Posted by Fedor (4642 posts) -

Snake Eater.

#3 Posted by DaVillain- (36073 posts) -

Mass Effect 3.

#4 Edited by pelvist (7367 posts) -

Crysis 2. After forcing myself to finish the game to not feel like I wasted money on it, I was quite relieved when it ended.

#5 Posted by AJStyles (739 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 2 made me think.

Metal Gear Solid 3 made me cry.

Metal Gear Solid 4 made me Happy, Sad and everything in between. Best ending of all time.

#6 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20506 posts) -

There's a lot of endings that stick out to me, but if I had to narrow them down to only a few, I'd choose:

Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

Steins; Gate

Yakuza 0

#7 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18704 posts) -

A few come to mind, but Portal 2 was pretty epic.

#8 Posted by Telekill (8407 posts) -

Uncharted 4 had a really good wrap up to the series.

Next on my list was ICO... assuming you wait till after the credits.

#9 Edited by uninspiredcup (32821 posts) -

[upon completion of the game] Gordon Freeman, in the flesh – or, rather, in the hazard suit. I took the liberty of relieving you of your weapons. Most of them were government property. As for the suit, I think you've earned it. The borderworld, Xen, is in our control, for the time being … thanks to you. Quite a nasty piece of work you managed over there, I am impressed. That's why I'm here, Mr. Freeman. I have recommended your services to my … employers, and they have authorized me to offer you a job. They agree with me that you have limitless potential. You've proved yourself a decisive man so I don't expect you'll have any trouble deciding what to do. If you're interested, just step into the portal and I will take that as a yes. Otherwise, well … I can offer you a battle you have no chance of winning; rather an anticlimax after what you've just survived. Time to choose …

Lovely stuff.

#10 Posted by madsnakehhh (16394 posts) -

@fedor said:

Snake Eater.

IMO, no other MGS comes close to this ending. MGS2 was just a bunch of nonsense that almost ruined a great game.

As for the best endings, OoT still has a big place in my heart. Is not like it has a mind blowind ending, is just so fitting, so nostalgic and so paceful. First time i saw it i felt happines, sadness and nostalgia. Excellent ending IMO.

Another one for me is Chrono Trigger for almost the same reasons explained above.

#11 Posted by foxhound_fox (97854 posts) -

Shadow of the Colossus.

#12 Edited by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

As of now Metro Exodus has incredibly sad and depressing ending (both endings). and to conclude a great saga.

but overall best i have to say its Deus Ex 1 still has best ending ever. the one that is good ending. another is Mafia 1. it feel like its an art of writing.

best cliffhanger ending is easily Doom 2016. its been 3 years and i cant wait to see what will going to happen.

#13 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@pelvist said:

Crysis 2. After forcing myself to finish the game to not feel like I wasted money on it, I was quite relieved when it ended.

Crysis 2 is not that bad. althought it was incredibly dumbed down but its better than many praised games like wolfenstien and witcher 3.

#14 Posted by pelvist (7367 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:
@pelvist said:

Crysis 2 is not that bad. althought it was incredibly dumbed down but its better than many praised games like wolfenstien and witcher 3.

To me, it was that bad.

#15 Edited by Jag85 (13364 posts) -

My top ten (with the one-game-per-franchise rule) would be:

• Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
  • Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
  • Shadow of Memories
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Clannad
  • Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
  • Steins Gate

#16 Posted by ProtossRushX (5246 posts) -

FF6 has the best ending for me, you get to see all the characters do little skits and then you see the towns rebuilding from the airship.

#17 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (18704 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

As of now Metro Exodus has incredibly sad and depressing ending (both endings). and to conclude a great saga.

but overall best i have to say its Deus Ex 1 still has best ending ever. the one that is good ending. another is Mafia 1. it feel like its an art of writing.

best cliffhanger ending is easily Doom 2016. its been 3 years and i cant wait to see what will going to happen.

Do you ever mention any other games besides those? Lol. You sound like a broken record.

#18 Posted by npiet1 (2097 posts) -

Bioshock infinite. The ending the first time was great and halo 3

#19 Posted by adsparky (1312 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles.

#20 Posted by SOedipus (11398 posts) -

Snake Eater

Red Red Redemption

Last of Us

Bioshock Infinite

#21 Posted by Basinboy (13846 posts) -

The Stanley Parable

#22 Posted by Shmiity (6265 posts) -

Haha, the first thing that came to mind was the awesome Hitman: Blood Money ending where you wake up at your own funeral and kill everyone. Was absolutely hilarious. Loved it.

#23 Edited by npiet1 (2097 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

I don't see how Metro Exodus concluded the great saga

They didn't reach a place to call home and that is what the whole game felt like we were meant to achieve. I found it really unfulfilling. I get its hinted at were the dad was buried but still.

#24 Posted by dimebag667 (1208 posts) -

Darksiders

#25 Posted by Sunshinexu (8 posts) -

@fedor: Yup.

#26 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36068 posts) -

Batman: Arkham City.

#27 Edited by KungfuKitten (26419 posts) -

Super Mario Odyssey event-wise, The Witness gameplay-wise, and Chrono Trigger story-wise.

#28 Edited by Caj1986 (281 posts) -

Titanfall2 (brought me to tears & made me morally buy the game) , spec ops(made me realise value of life), half life 1(entry to the half life universe & woaaah), prey 2006(again brought me tears & touched my heart with the whole storyline & ending song especially) ,cod infinite warfare(sadness again), shadow warrior, lost planet 3,binary domain(loved the last action sequence), call of juarez & bound in blood ending got to me too. Prince of persia series gt to me too

#29 Posted by sakaiXx (5316 posts) -

@npiet1 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

They didn't reach a place to call home and that is what the whole game felt like we were meant to achieve. I found it really unfulfilling. I get its hinted at were the dad was buried but still.

DLC will fix this.

#30 Posted by sakaiXx (5316 posts) -

I think The Last of Us had the most perfect ending. Its so open ended, yet I don't really want a sequel that may ruin that moment. Other games its either ending so final no sequel can top it or so unsatisfactory a sequel must be made so I really like TLoU take.

#31 Edited by Yams1980 (3435 posts) -

Final Fantasy 4. Perfect ending, all your friends are alive and you save the world. Really long also, it must be a good 15 minutes almost.

Reminds me of the ending of the lord of the rings, it just keeps going.

#32 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -
@sakaixx said:
@npiet1 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

DLC will fix this.

If there is next Metro game then I think protagonist should be Kirill the boy because artyom is now become colonel at the end.

#33 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10329 posts) -

The first that came to my mind was Crisis Core. The entire game is build for this one moment when it ends and it is a perfect example of telling the story through gameplay. It's a shame SE never got even close to that masterpiece of storytelling through gameplay.

#34 Posted by pmanden (589 posts) -

Yakuza Zero and 6 have wonderful endings. I also sort of like the unique ending of Ghost'n'Goblins, where it says "well done, but you need to complete the game one more time". What a cruel but memorable ending!

If we go further down memory lane, I also loved the endings of Fist 2 and Impossible Mission on Commodore 64. It took me ages to complete the games and being able to finally see the endings was so rewarding.

#35 Posted by robert_sparkes (2937 posts) -

Then disappointment of the fable 3 ending still gets me.

#36 Posted by TheEroica (18388 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: good choice on Portal. Portal 2 as well...

Kotor is my favorite wrap up ever.

Most recently rdr2 had a very good closing. The story in that game doesn't get enough love.

#37 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Do you ever mention any other games besides those? Lol. You sound like a broken record.

Max Payne 3 - best happy ending ever. after how depressing life he live since the first game. he finally found peace in the end..

#38 Edited by uninspiredcup (32821 posts) -

I really like the ending to Bioshock 2, well, only the mercy ending as it's generally something that doesn't happen in video games, and the obvious connotation to Frankenstein, where Victor' dies and the creature finds no fulfilment from it.

The only great Bioshock game.

#39 Posted by robert_sparkes (2937 posts) -

RD 1 most memorable for me but 2 was great to finish off the prequel.

#40 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2316 posts) -

- Final Fantasy X

- Red Dead Redemption 2

- Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Every ending was great)

- Persona 4 Golden

- God of War 3

#41 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30727 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:
@pelvist said:

You keep excusing games like COD and Crysis 2 saying "well at least they aren't as bad as Wolfenstein or The Witcher 3"

That's just downright dishonest.

#42 Posted by Chutebox (44493 posts) -

Ff7, mg3 and 4, How, mass effect

#43 Posted by SecretPolice (35108 posts) -

Halo CE, KOTOR and Mass Effect come to mind.

#44 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

I really like the ending to Bioshock 2, well, only the mercy ending as it's generally something that doesn't happen in video games, and the obvious connotation to Frankenstein, where Victor' dies and the creature finds no fulfilment from it.

Prey The only great bioshock game actually.

#45 Posted by poe13 (727 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption 2 had the best story and ending (Chapter 6 ending, epilogues were good as well) in any video game I've ever played personally, and I've played quite a lot.

#46 Posted by uninspiredcup (32821 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Played abit of Prey but lost interest. It had the level design and weapons, but everything else felt very, empty.

Bioshock 2, given the decries of a cashin, went in with low expectation. left thoughtfully entertained.

It's very much the KOTOR 2 of FPS, people starting to look back and realize, yea, that was the best one. Media talking shit again.

#47 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Played abit of Prey but lost interest. It had the level design and weapons, but everything else felt very, empty.

Bioshock 2, given the decries of a cashin, went in with low expectation. left thoughtfully entertained.

It's very much the KOTOR 2 of FPS, people starting to look back and realize, yea, that was the best one. Media talking shit again.

bioshock 2 suck just like original game. dont like the drill weapons and other crap.

#48 Posted by The_Deepblue (772 posts) -

Super Mario Bros.

#49 Posted by Litchie (23718 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

Probably why I like it as well. Everyone was very negative towards BioShock 2, so I went in with very low expectations and was surprised by having lots of fun until the credits rolled.

Compare that to BioShock Infinite which was very praised. I thought it sucked so much balls I had to angrily stop playing it. Then I had to go to forums and ask what the hell, people.

#50 Posted by Sam3231 (2566 posts) -

Mgs1.