What game finally made you say "enough", and changed your purchasing habits?

#1 Posted by MarkoftheSivak (206 posts) -

What game(s) have made you actually change your purchase methods because it was so abysmal or anti-consumer.

For me it was Mass Effect: Andromeda, after the dumpster fire that it was, I promised myself I would never purchase another game until I had read multiple critic and user reviews. So far this has paid off or I would have been bludgeoned by FO76 and Darksiders III.

Any games like this for you?

#2 Posted by Archangel3371 (26440 posts) -

None that I can think of for as long as I can remember. I follow gaming very closely and am very adept at knowing which games I’ll most likely enjoy. I haven’t gotten anything that I really regretted enough to alter my game purchasing habits.

#3 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24537 posts) -

None. I do my research first. That means no preorders. I also only buy games on impulse if I have some knowledge about reviews for it.

The only games I'm blind about are those I received as a gift.

#4 Edited by 2Chalupas (6924 posts) -

I rarely buy games day 1 or pre-order anything anymore, so I am rarely disappointed by spending $60 on a game that turns out to be crap. The only time I was ever into "pre-ordering" was when they used to give you $20 gift card or whatever to pre-order- but i still only did it with selective games. I guess the dumbest thing i ever did was buy Yakuza 4 (PS3) because it came with Yakuza 3 as a bonus. Not dumb because there is anything wrong with the games, dumb because I literally have still never opened them! I had quite a backlog last gen, and that's what made me realize this gen I should slow it down a bit. Too many games I wasn't going to have time for.

I'd say the closest I came this gen was Battlefront II, but I actually enjoyed that one despite the stupidity associated with it.

Actually I think the last two games I bought truly "day 1" were Battlefront II and Red Dead 2.

#5 Posted by Boycie (4594 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

None that I can think of for as long as I can remember. I follow gaming very closely and am very adept at knowing which games I’ll most likely enjoy. I haven’t gotten anything that I really regretted enough to alter my game purchasing habits.

This.

#6 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10231 posts) -
@Archangel3371 said:

yeah pretty much this. Sure I did buy many games that turned out much worse than I expected, but it never altered my purchasing habits.

#7 Posted by TryIt (12881 posts) -

@MarkoftheSivak

yes...it was three actually but Fallout 3 was likely the final straw. but it was Sims 3, Fallout 3 and Stalker.

after that I went mostly indie and so glad i did

#8 Edited by SecretPolice (34166 posts) -

I only bought one game this year, RDR2, which I'm very happy with. Everything else is GWG and GamePass, it will cure all that ails you. :P

#9 Posted by AJStyles (247 posts) -

PS2 Era: I got burned when I bought Tony Hawks UnderGround 2. That game sucked. Spend much more time researching now before purchasing.

PS3/PS4 Era: I decided to stop buying games brand new and just wait a year because I am tired of GOTY editions coming out with all the DLC included for free.

I know what games I like and don’t like. I typically only need to see 5 minutes of gameplay to decide.

Or if it’s made by developers I hate or is more PC focused, then I won’t like it. I typically hate Indies, Valve, Strategy RPG’s, MMO’s and such.

#10 Posted by Valgaav_219 (1976 posts) -

FFXV. I buy all things Final Fantasy so of course I had to buy it. This was no $60 purchase, though, because I bought a PS4 just to play FFXV. Luckily I got Uncharted 4 for free for buying the system then all was well once I bought The Witcher 3 & Horizon Zero Dawn.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#11 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2411 posts) -

I changed for a bit. Sold off the PS4 Pro, PSVR, a ton of games I don't play etc. I started to go all PC/Switch for the most part, and then that damn $199 PS4 deal happened. I've played 30 minutes of Spider-Man, none of Detroit or God of War, and really have no intention on playing any of them anytime soon. (and I went over my 1TB data limit thanks to those massive downloads) I've been playing PC/Switch like usual while playing a little Fortnite/COD with the wife on the Xbox One's. Maybe I can show a little constraint next gen...

#12 Posted by tjandmia (1055 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption 2. A horse riding simulator masquerading as an open-world adventure. I am finished with open-world nonsense.

#13 Edited by uninspiredcup (29205 posts) -

As a fan of both Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear, I remember a couple of years back seeing Rainbow 6: Vegas getting even better reviews with footage that looked very next-gen.

Then I played it. No tactical planning. No slow methodical pacing. It was an Americanized action game that had absolutely no DNA from the original titles. Completely bastardized. Essentially a cynically re-skinned Gears Of War.

This game served to highlight the dangers of pandering to cons ole gamers, Ubisoft as being a piece of shit and never ever taking gaming journalist seriously.

#14 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (24712 posts) -

Far Cry 2. It stopped me from pre-ordering every single big game that looks interesting. Lol

#15 Posted by warmblur (1111 posts) -

None I know what I like and what I don't.

#16 Edited by Ibacai (13706 posts) -

None, I eat the money if a game is bad and I buy it day one. I know the risk but it’s part of the fun.

#17 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42382 posts) -

For the most part I have stopped pre-ordering after learning how companies basically bank on pre-orders for most of their profit.

I feel a game should succeed based on how good it is, not how well marketed it is.

#18 Posted by xantufrog (10081 posts) -

@Archangel3371: same here - I've almost always been satisfied with my games purchases

#19 Posted by ReCloud (4423 posts) -

None, aside from a game here and there, I only buy games on sales or when i have no backlog anymore.

These days, the day one version of the games most likely sucks and its not worth playing after three months or more of patches.

#20 Edited by Mandzilla (2133 posts) -

The Sims. I wasn't able to let them live their lives to the fullest as the complete DLC costs a bomb. Might revisit it when a steam sale drops.

#21 Posted by WitIsWisdom (5038 posts) -

I doubt I will ever learn... the only thing I have learned in recent memory about games is that most AAA games suck ass these days, and that crowdfunded/indie games are about the only bastion of pure gaming left. PC allowed these small devs a chance and consoles help them thrive. Don't like m/kb so I wait for console and play with the bigger base of players.

#22 Edited by nintendoboy16 (35465 posts) -

EA's SimCity 2013. Have not personally bought an EA game since (though I did play Andromeda when family bought that game and... yeah).

#23 Posted by TheEroica (17866 posts) -

2014... Every game I bought that year disippointed me. Destiny revealed itself as robbery, Ass creed unity was literally broken.. Watchdogs was terribly boring and so unnecessary. The definition of derivitive. Far cry 4 was just an expansion of far cry 3 and drive club was simply trash.

2014 grabbed me by the throat and screamed... STOP BUYING DAY 1 YOU EFFING DOLT!"

#24 Edited by Vaidream45 (1434 posts) -

Star Wars Battlefront 1 from EA really woke me up. I haven’t purchased a AAA game close to release since and have waited for thr GOTY versions in order to get all DLC and pay less than half of the price. At this point if you preorder a AAA game and are disappointed with it I think you should blame yourself for rewarding the bad AAA behavior instead of waiting 24 hours for the reviews to come out before purchase. EA really messed things up bad. To be clear though I never purchased SWBF1 it’s just the game that taught me how evil some companies have become.

#25 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4473 posts) -

I don't know, but I hope it comes soon. I'm starting to feel bloated.

#26 Posted by Yams1980 (3036 posts) -

i learned lessons long ago. Back in 1999, pre-ordered Ultima 9 which is a buggy broken EA flop game. Never again, since that time i never pre-order and look at every thing i buy with more caution. Especially anything EA puts its name to, i trust nothing they say and nothing they make.

#27 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8230 posts) -

There's really no need to be impatient and pre-order these days. All games are readily available in most stores or online downloadable.

Pre-ordering was mainly useful in the Playstation/N64 generation. I remember Goldeneye being quite hard to get at one point.

#28 Posted by djoffer (892 posts) -

Fallout 4, I somehow always end up getting the ES games and FO day one or close to, despite never really enjoying then that much! But no more, FO4 was so abysmal bad that I am done buying Bethesda own production! I hope....

#29 Edited by That_Old_Guy (674 posts) -

None.

Games are all different and tgerefore I don’t treat all games the same bc of one game in history.

Have I bought or even preordered piles of horse shit? Yes.

I’ve also had more positive experiences...this year is a great example.

#30 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29521 posts) -

Basically any Activision game.

Buying from Activision makes me feel gross, and I need to take a shower to cleanse myself.

#31 Edited by StormyJoe (7692 posts) -

@MarkoftheSivak: Fallout 76. The more I played it, the more I hated it. What a POS that game is. Because of that, I will probably never pre-order a game again.

I liked Andromeda, BTW. :-p

#32 Posted by jeezers (1956 posts) -

@vaidream45 said:

Star Wars Battlefront 1 from EA really woke me up. I haven’t purchased a AAA game close to release since and have waited for thr GOTY versions in order to get all DLC and pay less than half of the price. At this point if you preorder a AAA game and are disappointed with it I think you should blame yourself for rewarding the bad AAA behavior instead of waiting 24 hours for the reviews to come out before purchase. EA really messed things up bad. To be clear though I never purchased SWBF1 it’s just the game that taught me how evil some companies have become.

I was going to say battlefront 1 but you summed it up perfectly, 60 dollar game and then 60 dollars of dlc, ruined it. Sadly i did buy it and traded it in once i saw what they were charging for a few maps.

Another one for me was tony hawk pro skater 5, i bought it on release lol my roomate at the time kept saying dont do it dont do it, its a buggy broken mess, i thought how bad could it be, it was trash lol took it back the day i got it. that one was all on me, no one to blame but myself, i just fooled my self with nostalgia

#33 Posted by Zidaneski (8731 posts) -

Final fantasy NT. You'd think after destiny, division, FFXV, SFV, Battleborn, Battlefront, and destiny 2 that I would of learned but it was NT that broke the camel's back. NT has so little content I barely spent ten hours on it. So many things were stripped down, I should of known better.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#34 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (27395 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

I changed for a bit. Sold off the PS4 Pro, PSVR, a ton of games I don't play etc. I started to go all PC/Switch for the most part, and then that damn $199 PS4 deal happened. I've played 30 minutes of Spider-Man, none of Detroit or God of War, and really have no intention on playing any of them anytime soon. (and I went over my 1TB data limit thanks to those massive downloads) I've been playing PC/Switch like usual while playing a little Fortnite/COD with the wife on the Xbox One's. Maybe I can show a little constraint next gen...

Thy name is impulse lol.

Yeah man, those sony titles are a total snooze if you're into gameplay.

But hey, if you wanna cry, or feel like a dad, they're perfect.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#35 Edited by Blackhairedhero (2351 posts) -

Destiny...

Im not buying your game 5 times.

#36 Posted by The-A-Baum (1017 posts) -

One thing I have changed on in the last few years is always buying games new (not always day 1, just not used) or digital. Game Devs have a hard enough gig and hate to see them screwed by the secondary market.

Other than that I just have learned over the years things I don't like in games, Turn based combat, Dungeon Crawlers, etc.

#37 Posted by XVision84 (14460 posts) -

None, I always do a lot of research into it and know if I'll like it. The only games that disappointed me was Ni No Kuni 2 and Assassin's Creed 3. Other than that it's been smooth sailing.

#38 Posted by JustPlainLucas (78837 posts) -

After being very disappointed in Batman: Arkham Origins, I became very wary of WB, and for good reason. Arkham Knight turned out to be very problematic and I never did buy the game, and after really enjoying Shadow of Mordor, red flags popped up all the place for Shadow of War, another game I'm glad I avoided.

#39 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24537 posts) -

I've had it with DVD media for installing games. To me, it's X-Plane 9. It required ~78 GB and 6 DVD discs for a full install......this back in 2009.

I ate the crow meat and started to like digital downloads. ;)

#40 Posted by cainetao11 (35689 posts) -

SF4. I got caught up in the hype and disregarded the fact that I’m not a fighting game fan.

#41 Posted by Metallic_Blade (506 posts) -

Any games that are digital downloads... which is basically all of them these days for PC. I have to be 100%+ Ultra sure if it is what I want. Sucks that you can't re-sell the games anymore if you get buyers remorse. And that 2-hour refund policy from Steam is a joke on its own.

#42 Posted by Robbie23 (110 posts) -

Evolve. I purchased this game on day one and instantly regretted it.

#43 Edited by Vatusus (8941 posts) -

Destiny franchise

It only gets good after the third expansion so from now on I'll just wait for the complete editions and play all the content while only paying once

#44 Posted by KungfuKitten (25967 posts) -

I think it was Elder Scrolls Online that made me question spending over $50 on a game. Sometimes I do $60 but I am extremely hesitant to pay more because maybe you won't end up playing it much.

#45 Posted by PimpHand_Gamer (2804 posts) -

I don't even feel like gaming anymore. Nothing interests me and I have no more motivation to even turn my PC on. If I ever do it will probably have to run for hours just to update everything. My Rift collects dust, my Xbox 1 gamepad probably needs new batteries by now. I was a backer for the Pimax 8k so whenever it arrives it will collect dust too. I got scammed selling something on ebay once so I'm never selling anything online ever again. Bastard swapped out a broken PS4 into the package I sold him then said it didn't work, I ended up losing out on that one thanks to Ebay's BS so I can't really sell the Pimax or anything else because no one I know games or is just a console gamer unwilling to spend more than $20 for anything...losers.

#46 Posted by lilhurk1985187 (376 posts) -

WO4

DBFZ

Destiny

#47 Posted by kenshiro3948 (371 posts) -

Destiny.

Bought that trash early this gen and swore off pre-ordering games based on hype and studio history. I was expecting a campaign on par with Halo or better when I preordered that game and got something much worse sprinkled with shitty co-op loot grind. That game is the biggest disappointment for me this gen and it changed my purchasing habits.

#48 Posted by BigBadBully (2018 posts) -

Gamepass, no need to worry about buying into games. Just download n play.

#49 Edited by pelvist (7195 posts) -

NGS4 and KZ2 made me stop buying into gaming media hype and ultimately made me realize that I can do without consoles. I havent bought a console for myself since the 360/PS3. Those two games have saved me a lot of money.

#50 Posted by npiet1 (1305 posts) -

Duke Nukem forever. I was so excited when it got a proper announcement since I was a huge fan of 3d but we all know how that turned out.