What feature would make you pay more than $250 for a 3DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

I would personally pay 100$ more to get a region-free 3DS. This is probably the thing that irritates me the most regarding the system.

I've imported several games from the US and Japan this generation.

Etrian Odyssey 2,3
Izuna 2
Trauma Center 2
Atelier Annie
Theresia
Strange Journey
Devil Survivor
Knight in the Nightmare
Dark Spire

Basically a ton of great games that never released in EU.

It pains me that Nintendo have choosen to kill this for me with the 3DS.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
i think a cart will come out that will unlock the system and allow you to play imported games and will probably be really cheap. i think the 3DS is fine as it is, i think they designed it well. A longer battery maybe, but every single modern electronic device is fairly poor in the battery department because they are so powerful.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The ability to plug my NES/SNES/N64 carts into the device and "load" the games onto it. Other than that, I'd have no interest. The PSP2 is probably going to be my handheld of choice, because it isn't focusing on a cheap visual gimmick.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

Nothing really, i'm pumped for the 3DS, but there is no way i pay that much for it.

milsvaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 milsvaard
Member since 2003 • 1928 Posts

I was really excited about the 3DS but I've decided to save that money for the NGP.

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

Wouldn't waste my money on it.

Probably about 3 other versions of it will come out.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 madsnakehhh

fusionhunter

Agree, why pay for it now if there will be better and probably cheaper versions in the next couple of years? if by any chance this versions never arrive, then i'll just grab the 3DS which by that time, will be at least $50 cheaper, at least.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

[QUOTE="fusionhunter"]

madsnakehhh

Agree, why pay for it now if there will be better and probably cheaper versions in the next couple of years? if by any chance this versions never arrive, then i'll just grab the 3DS which by that time, will be at least $50 cheaper, at least.

i honestly doubt nintendo will do what they have done with the DS, at most they will make a 3DSXL, but most people who want a portable machine will prefer the original model. They won't make it smaller, as it is already smaller than all the DS models.

It doesn't seem like there is any more to take off without gimping the screen and making it smaller, which will ruin the 3D effect.

it has cameras, gyro, touchscreen, nub, ar cards, online store etc. i just can't see an upgraded model in the future that is like the dsi or ds lite.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#9 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts

I've got news for you, TC. You can still play import DS games on the region-locked 3DS, probably not what you expected, but you have to admit that's a start.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 foxhound_fox

i honestly doubt nintendo will do what they have done with the DS, at most they will make a 3DSXL, but most people who want a portable machine will prefer the original model. They won't make it smaller, as it is already smaller than all the DS models.

It doesn't seem like there is any more to take off without gimping the screen and making it smaller, which will ruin the 3D effect.

it has cameras, gyro, touchscreen, nub, ar cards, online store etc. i just can't see an upgraded model in the future that is like the dsi or ds lite.

APiranhaAteMyVa

I agree with this. I also don't see any price drops for a long time. Much like the Wii. It'll sell, and keep selling... so Nintendo will have no reason to drop the price.

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

I think its up to the Dev's like how some 360 games are region free, I import all my DS games from the US and just got Radiant Historia which dosen't even have a release date for europe, so I hope not every game will be region locked, also the only chance of getting Ni No Kuni on Ds is from japan but I reckon a US release might happen, but europe not a chance

Nintendo suck for doing this, also I hate the clear plastic case they us for europe DS game, the US black case's are smaller and look a lot better

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

The ability to plug my NES/SNES/N64 carts into the device and "load" the games onto it. Other than that, I'd have no interest. The PSP2 is probably going to be my handheld of choice, because it isn't focusing on a cheap visual gimmick.

foxhound_fox

Because being a portable PS3 isn't a visual gimmick? Maybe not cheap, but still a visual gimmick. I mean, if your product doesn't focus on some gimmick than they are doing it wrong.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#13 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Another analog.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 foxhound_fox

Because being a portable PS3 isn't a visual gimmick? Maybe not cheap, but still a visual gimmick. I mean, if your product doesn't focus on some gimmick than they are doing it wrong.

darth-pyschosis

Increase in hardware power isn't a gimmick. 3D has yet to prove itself as an innovation for either movies or games yet. And what gimmick did the PSP have? Besides being a portable multi-media device (before they were popular)? Nintendo focuses on gimmicks. I find it amazing how Sony actually hasn't tried any fancy gimmick with the PSP2.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

darth-pyschosis

Dual analogs help control for once, the two touch surfaces add something that could be interesting as well. Other than 3D, which I hate and have no interest in, other than a graphical update, all the 3DS has is tilt, which the PSP2 also has. Add in all the extra multimedia features, and actually having a screen big enough that you don't need to squint to see the finer details, and it seems more worthwhile overall. This is purely from a hardware perspective, its too early to say anything software wise. But it seems the same way PSP suffered from a lot of handheld versions of console games, the 3DS might be getting a lot of 3D versions of existing games.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 madsnakehhh

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

[QUOTE="fusionhunter"]

APiranhaAteMyVa

There is always room for improvement, so we just have to wait and see, and like i said, even if this newer versions never come, i doubt the console stay $250 for years to come.

shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

I agree with JLF1 although i wouldnt pay more for it. Im just gonna buy a Japanese 3DS when im there later this year. DS games are still region free so thats good atleast.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

A touch screen that stays perfect after much usage (or easy to replace)

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

$50-100 for no region coding, going to have to wait for the 3DS to price drop and import one because of Nintendo.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
if it could transform into a psp2
XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

Another analog stick. Oh wait, that should have been in at 250 dollars.

TigerWars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TigerWars
Member since 2011 • 427 Posts
Yeah well it pains me to know you've imported all those games and didn't import Jump! Ultimate Stars...The greatest handheld fighter ever...sexy sexy game
Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts
A bigger library of games. Still, $250 is a pretty steep price for a handheld. I may honestly wait until the first pricedrop for both the 3DS and the PSP2. Power to anyone who is getting it at launch, but I'm growing less and less interested.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#24 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
free games for life
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

foxhound_fox

Increase in hardware power isn't a gimmick. 3D has yet to prove itself as an innovation for either movies or games yet. And what gimmick did the PSP have? Besides being a portable multi-media device (before they were popular)? Nintendo focuses on gimmicks. I find it amazing how Sony actually hasn't tried any fancy gimmick with the PSP2.

Increased hardware is the gimmick. It is for every new console. The PSP was a portable PS2, it played mobile Home Console games. That was its gimmick

The NGP seems to be doing the same thing, except replace the ps2 with the ps3.

And I'm pretty sure the iPod was gaining popularity about the time the PSP launched.

Why else does anyone buy a new console but for new hardware and new gimmicks?

It is not a bad thing to have a gimmick, its just having a unique one that is best. Being the portable version of something else didn't work for the PSP, or at least as well as Sony may have hoped (its no walkman of the 21st century) Unless Sony focuses on establishing a terrific identity for the NGP that is completely independant of the PS3, I can't see it succeeding much more than the PSP. Not that 60 million is bad or nothing to be proud of, but a distant 2nd place is certainly not anyone's goal

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

nothing would make me pay 250 dollars for a 3ds let alone more then that.

Noj_Leakim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Noj_Leakim
Member since 2004 • 459 Posts

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

foxhound_fox

What exactly do you call touch screens on the front AND back. I could understand it if the only touchscreen was on the front because that is pretty much the portable standard, but the back touch screen absolutley screams gimmick. From what Ive seen they arent even using the touch screens in any new ways. The PSP2 didn't need to copy the DS, and Ipod, it was it's own thing, and it had it's own place in the market, and I was happy with where it was at.

starmetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 starmetroid
Member since 2007 • 5000 Posts
Longer Battery life, I'd fork out an extra $100 for ten more hours of play time per charge
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yeah region-free would be worth paying more for, also I'd pay more for free replacement insurance for life.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21705 Posts

Nothing. I'm not wasting more than $250 for a handheld, sorry.