What exactly do people see in a Zelda game to get so hyped?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

@Cheleman said:

i don't get it either. the game is like a dark souls without story. only dungeon crawling for 5 year olds. while looking like an irish work girl on Halloween night trying to save an even bigger work girl from her pimp. I tell ya brehs, this level of storytelling is whats killing the gaming industry. not journalism. not piracy. this shit right here. people pirate because of games like this. people hate journalism because of games like this. games that get a free pass and slapped with a 9/10 because nostagia.

>"oh my gut this game brought back so many childhood memories from like 2 years ago, I must give it a perfect score now ;_; "

>9/10

> because Nintedorks can't count to 10. they're still in Elementary School hue

#Essays4Dumbledore

LOL. I love this shit!

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

because this is going to be the best Zelda to date

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#103 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's brand loyalty. Hell I know and I don't really care. Zelda games are just amazingly good fun so I'm always excited for a new Zelda game.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#104 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts
@lightleggy said:

I actually did played Skyward sword, Or should I say ocarina of sword?

You shouldn't say that. lol

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#105 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Cheleman said:

i don't get it either. the game is like a dark souls without story. only dungeon crawling for 5 year olds. while looking like an irish work girl on Halloween night trying to save an even bigger work girl from her pimp. I tell ya brehs, this level of storytelling is whats killing the gaming industry. not journalism. not piracy. this shit right here. people pirate because of games like this. people hate journalism because of games like this. games that get a free pass and slapped with a 9/10 because nostagia.

>"oh my gut this game brought back so many childhood memories from like 2 years ago, I must give it a perfect score now ;_; "

>9/10

#Essays4Dumbledore

lolololol

man you're killing me!

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#106 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@Cheleman said:

>9/10

#Essays4Dumbledore

lolololol

man you're killing me!

You are easily amused.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

I have a question for you nostalgia guys though. Maybe you can help clear up some confusion for me.

It seems that you guys are saying that nostalgia alone can carry a series through the decades and keep it relevant.

Personally, there are a lot of series I enjoyed back in the day that are still going now that I won't even touch.

I loved the Sonic games way back when... why is it that nostalgia doesn't keep me interested now?

I was a big fan of the Mortal Kombat games back in the day... why is it that until MK9 the series was pretty much dead to me?

The Final Fantasy series is probably the most nostalgia inducing series I can think of... yet it's completely dead to me now.

I could go on, but I guess you get the idea. How exactly does nostalgia work then? How is it that Zelda can maintain such a major following and still be a very relevant series today if it's all about the nostalgia?

Yes exactly! Franchises can't keep running based on only nostalgia. Impossible. Old Nintendo franchises for ex are still made because their games are still highly acclaimed and wanted. The nostalgia argument is really bad.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

@Cheleman said:

>9/10

#Essays4Dumbledore

Ok...... you almost got me. -__-'

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#109 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@m_machine024 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

I have a question for you nostalgia guys though. Maybe you can help clear up some confusion for me.

It seems that you guys are saying that nostalgia alone can carry a series through the decades and keep it relevant.

Personally, there are a lot of series I enjoyed back in the day that are still going now that I won't even touch.

I loved the Sonic games way back when... why is it that nostalgia doesn't keep me interested now?

I was a big fan of the Mortal Kombat games back in the day... why is it that until MK9 the series was pretty much dead to me?

The Final Fantasy series is probably the most nostalgia inducing series I can think of... yet it's completely dead to me now.

I could go on, but I guess you get the idea. How exactly does nostalgia work then? How is it that Zelda can maintain such a major following and still be a very relevant series today if it's all about the nostalgia?

Yes exactly! Franchises can't keep running based on only nostalgia. Impossible. Old Nintendo franchises for ex are still made because their games are still highly acclaimed and wanted. The nostalgia argument is really bad.

Nostalgia is an argument for people who are too immature to accept that other people have different opinions.

A mature person who doesn't care for Zelda will acknowledge that people have different tastes and opinions on what is good.

An immature person will claim nostalgia because they can't mentally deal with the fact that a franchise they don't like gets a lot of praise, so they use the nostalgia card to explain it to themselves.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@monson21502 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

The Last of Us really was a fantastic game. Easily one of the best games of 2013 and among the best of last gen.

i just dont see the point of remastering it. or buying it for ps4. why not put the money into a new last of us? if it was so great u would think at least 90% has at least rented it and beat it. are people really gonna pay 60 bucks again just for updated graphics? we the gamers need to not support devs that are doing this, this is just a cheap money maker and it will make the devs lazy

It does seem ridiculous, but we have to remember that not all platforms have games like the Wii U does. Those PS4 owners are so starved for greatness that they will gladly pay $60 for a fantastic game they just played less than a year ago. It's just smart business on Sony's part.

thats true i guess. but if they stop buying these sony will stop putting them out there. i wouldnt mind some ps1 or early ps2 remakes being remastered

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts
@ristactionjakso said:

but I feel they have learned from their mistakes on Skyward Sword.

Good observation. I noticed that ever since Skyward Sword (and the literally on rails trainwreck Spirit Tracks), Zelda has started embracing non linearity quite a bit.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#112  Edited By Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

That being said, the games are fun, pretty to look at, well rounded packages.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#113  Edited By svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@lightleggy: What exactly do people see in Call of Duty or Battlefield to get so hyped when its been the same game for a decade?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Because Zelda has always been when Nintendo traditionally comes out in top form, though I won't say that about SS which I found to be an abysmal entry in the franchise and one of the worst Zeldas yet. But they're always usually quality games. Fun when hitting all the right notes, and very polished. I will say I really hope they fix the pacing and hand holding in this upcoming one and kick up the difficulty, as those are the flaws that are destroying this series more than anything else. ALBW was better in this though, so there's promise.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#115 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
@lightleggy said:

Zelda gameplay has literally not evolved 1 bit since OoT (over 15 years ago) and as far as adventure genre goes, it's possibly the most shallow game of the genre.

Lol. Stop making threads please.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@NoirLamia777 said:

They are fun games, even if it's mostly nostalgia. I don't think I've played a Zelda game I didn't enjoy.

Did you try Spirit Tracks?

jay_Z_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By jay_Z_100
Member since 2003 • 590 Posts

You say Zelda hasn't changed but then list SKYRIM as a game that has changed?

Skyrim is 90% the same thing as Oblivion which was 99% the same thing as Morrowind but with less content. The only thing that has changed in that series is the graphics have got better in the same style but they never bother fixing the combat.

While if you look at Zelda all of them have different graphic styles and different core systems. The only consistent thing about them is they have dungeons which are all unique instead of the copy paste stuff in Skyrim.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#118 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@ristactionjakso said:

Good observation. I noticed that ever since Skyward Sword (and the literally on rails trainwreck Spirit Tracks), Zelda has started embracing non linearity quite a bit.

well, that's how the first zelda game was. They are just going back to the root.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

What exactly do people see in any game to get so hyped? Oh look, the same stupid question can be asked for any game, what a shock.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

I get where you are coming from its not for everyone, personally I adore The legend of Zelda and usually only purchase nintendo consoles for it specifically. But again I get where you are coming from, its not for everyone

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#121 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Zelda games are exciting because of the world to explore and new dungeons. Puzzle solving and exploration are two of the big things to get excited about with Zelda. One can also look forward to the boss battles(Majora's Mask had AWESOME bosses). With an open world, the potential to enhance the two points increases. Zelda is not everyone's cup of tea, as it apparently doesn't appeal much to you, and that's fine.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#122 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

The game looks great . Level design is non linear and most importantly , it is going to have actual gameplay .

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#123 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

seriously? it a cool world you get to explore by unlocking sections when you get new items and find secrets and stuff. obviously. Plus dungeons and bosses in Zelda games are usually badass.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

Not sure, last 2 games flopped.

A Link Between Worlds flopped? News to me, I thought it was GotY here last year, beating out competition like GTA5 and TLOU.

Last 2 console games flopped, better?

Twilight Princess

95 on GR

95 on MC

Skyward Sword

93 on GR

93 on MC

Try harder...

My favorite game series is Zelda, but I gotta agree with Heil, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword both had their flaws, SS had more than TP imo.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

Agree for a part.

Zelda is just a very solid and good adventure game...but that's it.

There are better franchises than Zelda, although most fans are blinded by nostalgia to accept this fact.

What adventure genres are better than Zelda?

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#126 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@ristactionjakso said:

My point exactly. This Zelda will be a great one.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#127 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

More than anything, the Zelda series quality comes from exceptional level design. The games have a wonderful array of clever puzzles that evolve as you gain a greater selection of items to interact with the world. The Souls and elder scrolls series completely lack that aspect.

P.S. I will not address your apparent lack of knowledge of the Legend of Zelda franchise. It would take too long.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#128 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@Maroxad said:
@ristactionjakso said:

well, that's how the first zelda game was. They are just going back to the root.

Skyward Sword wasnt a bad game, and something different from time to time was actually welcomed. But its time for Zelda to backtrack now, go more the route of OoT or the open world type, like they are doing now.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#129  Edited By brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6083 Posts

@svaubel said:

@lightleggy: What exactly do people see in Call of Duty or Battlefield to get so hyped when its been the same game for a decade?

Good point.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#130 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6083 Posts

To be honest,I have not played a Zelda game since the day's of the Super Nintendo.Am I missing anything.Do tell please.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Comparing Zelda to Dark Souls is as dumb as system wars could possibly get.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Mainly the series past, although the last two games were gash. Mainly due to the crappy gameplay mechanics, weak AI and just generally outdated feel, which as you said was because it felt too much like OOT.

I think the 7 dished out for skyward was about right, they are still fun and polished games, but feel a bit dated at this point. you still get a decent amount of playtime and content, so while I would pick the game up if I had a Wii U, I wouldn't go out and buy one like I did with the Wii and Twilight at launch.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#133 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Same reason I still like Metroid games not named Other M, and keep playing NSMB even though they are really old as dirt despite shiny graphics and new powerups. Pure game mechanics. years ago Nintendo figured out how to make games based purely on certain mechanics and perfected them. Sometimes I like to throw out my innovation, cynicism , and search for something new to play something I know I will enjoy before I even open the box.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#134 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

I'd say the same thing about Uncharted.

With the difference that Uncharted is 1 generation old and Zelda ... well you know how to count. Theres a difference there if you get what i mean.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#135 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@AzatiS said:

@foxhound_fox said:

With the difference that Uncharted is 1 generation old and Zelda ... well you know how to count. Theres a difference there if you get what i mean.

Yeah, amazing how so few console Zelda's have come out over the past decade (since 2004 there has been two, TP and SS) and there is already a 4th console Uncharted lined up for year 8.

Uncharted is getting a lot older in terms of iterations than things like Zelda. Hell, in 25 years, there has only been 8 console Zelda games (LoZ, LA, ALTTP, OOT, MM, WW, TP, SS). That's one every 3 and 1/8th years.

I don't know what point you were trying to make, but it's not working.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

@Sphensen said:

We hear this every time a new Zelda game comes out, and then half the fandom always ends up complaining a year later about what a huge step backwards it was for the franchise compared to the previous game.

To a degree I agree with the TC. People always get excited about new Zelda games because they have so many unmet hopes and dreams about what the franchise could be, and whenever Nintendo announces a new game everyone is secretly hoping that "this one will be the one that finally makes the series amazing again." Compared to other modern games though, Skyward Sword was lacking, and Twilight Princess came out after I had already played Oblivion, and Oblivion made Twilight Princess feel empty and primitive by comparison. The new Zelda is going to be Nintendo's first open-world Zelda game, which is a bold step forward for the series, but at the same time it probably should have happened last gen, but it couldn't due to the Wii's outdated hardware not being up for the task.

Nintendo seems to have an issue of constantly being behind the curve, and I know I will be chastised for saying this, but this series is getting close to 30 years old and they still haven't added something as basic as voice acting. And don't give me the "it would be like the CDi games all over again", because that's bollocks. If Link talking is a dealbreaker, there are plenty of voice acted games that have silent protagonists, so I will not even entertain the idea that the two things are somehow mutually exclusive. Kid Icarus Uprising actually had voice overs and they were perfectly decent. In 2014 we are well past voice overs being this scary new untested thing that is too dangerous to use in a beloved franchise like Zelda.

On a more relevant note to what was actually in Nintendo's presentation though, I am worried that we are going to end up with another Twilight Princess in that I am not sure if Nintendo really knows how to fill a big open world with enough content to keep players happy. Other devs have been doing open world games long enough that they've gotten this aspect down to a science, but the last "traditional" console Zelda game Nintendo made (Twilight Princess), despite being a game confined by doors and invisible walls still was a very large world with relatively little content. Hyrule felt like a hub connecting the different areas, and that hub just happened to be extremely big. With the new game being open-world, that world is going to be even bigger, and I am not confident that Nintendo is up to the challenge of being able to find enough content to fill it with.

I know I may sound like I'm being cranky and ungrateful, but with all of the deafening excitement the internet at large has been expressing about this game, I feel the need to temper it with some realistic expectations. This series has not been on the cutting edge for a fair while now, and just because it's Zelda does not mean that we should hold it to a lower standard than the other games we play.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#137 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Timstuff said:

[...] this series is getting close to 30 years old and they still haven't added something as basic as voice acting. [...]

I'd rather read text then listen to the same 7 people voice every NPC throughout the whole length of the game (i.e. Oblivion).

I don't mean to cut your point down, but this really struck me, personally, as a non-issue. Unless they invest millions in high-grade voice actors, and a specific one to do each and every role (or someone talented enough to handle different kinds of voices), then it won't be worth it. In an game with a serious tone, the kind of voice acting that high budget games like Oblivion used just ruins the experience and immersion.

It would ruin Zelda as well. CDi Zelda is just funny by comparison these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

It is a good question, and you are right they are very dated.... and challengless.

Its odd really.....

Nostalgia is that powerful.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Well... I have'nt played a Zelda game, which was'nt good....

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Timstuff

@foxhound_fox said:

@Timstuff said:

[...] this series is getting close to 30 years old and they still haven't added something as basic as voice acting. [...]

I'd rather read text then listen to the same 7 people voice every NPC throughout the whole length of the game (i.e. Oblivion).

I don't mean to cut your point down, but this really struck me, personally, as a non-issue. Unless they invest millions in high-grade voice actors, and a specific one to do each and every role (or someone talented enough to handle different kinds of voices), then it won't be worth it. In an game with a serious tone, the kind of voice acting that high budget games like Oblivion used just ruins the experience and immersion.

It would ruin Zelda as well. CDi Zelda is just funny by comparison these days.

There are plenty of games that do not need to have every single random NPC have voice acting. Unimportant characters and conversations can still use text, but the important characters and conversations should be voice acted. This has been a convention in Japanese RPGs for ages.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Timstuff

@MBirdy88 said:

It is a good question, and you are right they are very dated.... and challengless.

Its odd really.....

Nostalgia is that powerful.

I literally only died 4 times in Twilight Princess. The original Zelda for NES is infinitely more challenging than any Zelda game to come out in the last few years. It was Dark Souls hard, whereas aside from an annoying boss or two, the recent Zelda games have been hand-holding easy. Perhaps therein lies the secret to Dark Souls' success, and the reason so many gamers have become jaded and cynical towards Nintendo. The phrase used to be "game X is Nintendo hard," but now it's "game X is Dark Souls hard."

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

I like the items and puzzle solving. People looking for difficulty from the combat are barking up the wrong tree.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Timstuff
@Renegade_Fury said:

I like the items and puzzle solving. People looking for difficulty from the combat are barking up the wrong tree.

The puzzles are not terribly exciting anymore either. There is the occasional head scratcher, but the dungeons have gotten predictable and formulaic over the years. Also, I would like to point out that in the original Zelda, survival was an equal part of the challenge to solving the game's mysteries. To this day it's a game that I find myself returning to because I enjoy how challenging it is, whereas with the 3D zeldas, combat feels more like a chore than anything else, and it feels like the only reason the game even has combat anymore is out of tradition.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@AzatiS said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Yeah, amazing how so few console Zelda's have come out over the past decade (since 2004 there has been two, TP and SS) and there is already a 4th console Uncharted lined up for year 8.

Uncharted is getting a lot older in terms of iterations than things like Zelda. Hell, in 25 years, there has only been 8 console Zelda games (LoZ, LA, ALTTP, OOT, MM, WW, TP, SS). That's one every 3 and 1/8th years.

It doesnt matter how many games you releasing each gen , the main concept is to provide something great and way better than before. TP and SS failed to do that.The one was worse than the other. Period. Not bad games but nothing major in the series.

Biggest example , SMG ! SMG was great and SMG 2 expanded that great platforming even further. I dont think you would say NO to an ypothetically SMG 3 or even SMG 4. Lets not be hypocrites.

So dont sound like 3 UCs in 8 years ( PS3 cycle) is a bad thing when every single one was better than the one before it. Its not for no reason the serie praised from developers , gamers and everyone in gaming industry with countless awards in such short time with it being a NEW IP which means its success didnt come from nostalgia and hype alone to win everyone in gaming industry like Zelda does for many years now ( or other N titles )

So you wanna get hyped ? Do so , i did also with Zelda because of the looks . But to ask why someone to be hyped about UC4 when UC delivered epicness with UC2/3 unlike TP/SS ...well something is wrong then if you say you dont know what my point is or if its working or not.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

@Timstuff said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

The puzzles are not terribly exciting anymore either. There is the occasional head scratcher, but the dungeons have gotten predictable and formulaic over the years.The puzzles are not terribly exciting anymore either. There is the occasional head scratcher, but the dungeons have gotten predictable and formulaic over the years.

They've always been easy (unless you want to count archaic and cryptic third gen level design), but I still find them well thought out, and most importantly, fun, hence why I am always looking forward to the next Zelda.

edit: oh, i guess you do want to count archaic game design. Yeah, that difficulty has to do with poor gameplay design of the era, not as the intent of being challenging. Zelda has always revolved around simplistic combat, even in those games.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

not a lower standard, but a different standard, if you want a game like Dark Souls then go play Dark Souls, This is Zelda, and I'm going to jam the hell out of it

@Timstuff said:

@Sphensen said:

just because it's Zelda does not mean that we should hold it to a lower standard than the other games we play.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@AzatiS said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@AzatiS said:

@foxhound_fox said:

It doesnt matter how many games you releasing each gen , the main concept is to provide something great and way better than before. TP and SS failed to do that.The one was worse than the other. Period. Not bad games but nothing major in the series.

Biggest example , SMG ! SMG was great and SMG 2 expanded that great platforming even further. I dont think you would say NO to an ypothetically SMG 3 or even SMG 4. Lets not be hypocrites.

So dont sound like 3 UCs in 8 years ( PS3 cycle) is a bad thing when every single one was better than the one before it. Its not for no reason the serie praised from developers , gamers and everyone in gaming industry with countless awards in such short time with it being a NEW IP which means its success didnt come from nostalgia and hype alone to win everyone in gaming industry like Zelda does for many years now ( or other N titles )

So you wanna get hyped ? Do so , i did also with Zelda because of the looks . But to ask why someone to be hyped about UC4 when UC delivered epicness with UC2/3 unlike TP/SS ...well something is wrong then if you say you dont know what my point is or if its working or not.

Wat? UC3 sucked especially compared to UC2.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Timstuff

@Sphensen said:

not a lower standard, but a different standard, if you want a game like Dark Souls then go play Dark Souls, This is Zelda, and I'm going to jam the hell out of it

@Timstuff said:

@Sphensen said:

just because it's Zelda does not mean that we should hold it to a lower standard than the other games we play.

Recent Zelda games tend to have clunky combat, predictable puzzles, and an overall lack of polish. Dark Souls is in a different genre (RPG, as opposed to Zelda which is Adventure) so it's not entirely fair to compare them directly, but in Dark Souls the combat has roughly the same concept as Zelda: you lock on to an enemy, and use strikes from different angles and with differing amounts of power to defeat your enemy, in combination with perfect timing. The combat is one place where these two games are directly comparable, and the Zelda games are inferior in this regard, even though Ocarina of Time was an ancestor of Dark Souls' combat.

Dark Souls had everything I could have wanted from the sword combat in a 3D Zelda game, whereas Twilight Princess just felt like Ocarina of Time with better animations, and Skyward Sword just felt like a floaty mess. Zelda may not have Dark Souls' complex RPG gamplay, and Dark Souls may not have Zelda's grand adventures and puzzles, but combat is a big element for both games, and Zelda does not compare favorably.