What does System Wars do for a living?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

You guys have some awesome careers! Currently still building my way towards a job in the future, will probably get some summer job hopefully.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Executive management, energy sector, large sized publicly traded

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#103 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

@ConanTheStoner:

That's hurts dude. Wavebird Wireless is one of the best controllers ever. If the damn thing only came with rumble. I'm tempted to crack one open and see if they reused regular gc pad circuits, then solder the rumble myself. Or mod a GC into a wavebird shell. Something about the form-factor just works for me.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#104 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

I am a warehouse worker and had been working at my current job for more than a year. I am currently looking for another job with better pay and less physical work.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Currently I am a Hardware Technician. I was a chef for 7 years before that and couldnt hack it anymore, that work is insane, well take away the ability to punish the chefs and workers below me and I lost all interest in the running of a kitchen. Chefs can be pricks and need to be constantly brought down to earth, take away the ability to do that and your left with a kicthen full of cocky people that back stab you at any chance. Still love cooking and cook at home when needed, the information and skills never leave.

Hardware tech is piss easy compared, Mon-Frid job, 8:30am-5pm, every public holiday off, fresh air. As a chef I was pulling in 18 hour days, 12 days a week haha, no crap. Pay as a chef was horrible as well, just not worth it, then comes the anger problems, the drinking, just to handle the job.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@Heil68 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Heil68 said:

I work in IT at a software company.

Are they hiring telecommuters? :)

hehehehe. I would wreck my stellar image on here to work with a SW user :P

Lol That's hilarious and messed up at the same time!

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Zero_epyon

@Salt_The_Fries said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

I teach English as a second language to a variety of students, both as a private tutor and in a language school as well as a state university. I teach students ranging from 5th graders to retired adults and everyone in-between. Moreover, I also write for a music-related web-magazine and for an Xbox website. Apart from that, I dabble in occasional translations. I also used to work as a customer office clerk and an IT consultant.

Not to mention I have another full-time job in taking care of this little cutie pie:

Cute kid! How old?

3 months in 4 days :)

Nice! First one I'm assuming?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#108 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

im an astronuaght..

typing this from my phone in space

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#109 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Clean stores.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#111 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Computer journalist. I mostly write features these days which pay a lot more than reviews and take a fraction of the time to put together.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#112 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@tormentos said:
@nyadc said:

Did you get in through a family member? That's not exactly a career you just fall into.

Yes my father was a longshoreman to is hard work and very dangerous but pays well and when you don't feel like working you just don't go and nothing happen.

@freedomfreak said:

@tormentos: I'd be okay with that job. Hard work for good pay.

Yep i don't really work much but for example i worked Tuesday,14 hours from 7 am to 11 pm,to go to my house sleep 5 hours and be back before 7am again Wednesday,until 11pm again and yesterday finish the ship in 5 more hours at 12pm,so basically i worked 33 hours in 2 and half days,i was totally beaten...hahaha

Is a cool job because most people are super fun so we are always cracking jokes and stuff like that because well the job is hard and is the only way you can get through it and make those hours fly.

Much respect to you. My grandfather did that work in NYC during the depression starting at 13 years old. We have big men in our family and he did well for his family at that until he went off to WW2.

On topic, I am a disabled veteran using my GI Bill to get my degree in AC/Rrefrigeration engineering.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#113 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Software development. On my off time, I'm looking into Windows Phone app development. The marketplace is barren and I want to make an application for myself.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Formerly a restaurant manager, currently a Paralegal

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@kingtito said:
@mems_1224 said:

Currently I'm a security guard but I'm already looking for something new. Don't get paid shit. I did meet Chuck Norris once so at least there is that. Lol.

So Chuck was protecting the security.

He's short lol. Im like 5'7/5'8ish and i was a little bit taller than him.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#116 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

Crane operator

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Zero_epyon

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Software development. On my off time, I'm looking into Windows Phone app development. The marketplace is barren and I want to make an application for myself.

nice. Have you looked into Xamarin?

Shibua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Shibua
Member since 2014 • 467 Posts

Play videogames

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#119 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

I'm a pawnbroker / I.T. guy at a Pawn Shop, currently going to school for a degree in Computer Science and I've had plenty of opportunities to practice things I've learned working their.

Great job if you like meeting people, networking, and learning different skill sets (customer service, sales, cashiering, jewelry, management, etc).

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'm chronically ill so in treatment most of the time, but I do odds and ends here and there when I feel up to it. Yardwork mostly, and some volunteering.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Right now I do a lot of server administration with vmware and tech support as well. Weirdly enough I got a degree in Biochemistry last year so news to me how I got to where I am. I guess I tend to learn very quickly and be very lucky.

I'm also learning programming on my own (mostly front end for now like JS but I got some knowledge of C) and know quite a bit about network router/switch configuration. May go for the ccna soon.

Sounded too braggy but I feel good at where I am right now I guess. :P

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#122 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

I'm an assistant manager at a group home, and a case manager at a drug rehabilitation program. Both can be stressful, but I'm motha fucking boss, though. So, it's all good... till a fight breaks out.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#123 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I'm the sole marketing guy for a non-profit. Work a lot of hours and it can be pretty stressful getting pulled to either work directly with large donors, work on all press materials and web content, do public relations, project manage visual designs, and... A whole bunch of other crap in between and outside the realm of my duties.

I have also done a lot of theatre and a bit of media production and dance work.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

Much respect to you. My grandfather did that work in NYC during the depression starting at 13 years old. We have big men in our family and he did well for his family at that until he went off to WW2.

On topic, I am a disabled veteran using my GI Bill to get my degree in AC/Rrefrigeration engineering.

Much respect to your grandfather those were very harsh days for the longshoreman,the condition were super bad expose to NY cold weather,long hours and days of works on those days most cargo was what we call lose cargo there were no containers,most of the work was done by hand,if he was part of NYC longshoreman is the same union i am in,since our union covers the east side of US.

I have a 73 year old supervisor,and he tell me how harsh everything was on those days,nothing but admiration i feel for those kind of man.

That cool man i hope you finish your degree i have a friend who is disable veteran as well he was shot in Irak one of its longs collapse and a grenade exploded close to him as well.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

It's been ages since I logged onto System Wars again, funny to see the usual suspects still hanging around. Hello!

I am a tutor and I grade scientific papers once in a while. Nothing that really can live off of but it can't be helped since I'm studying medicine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#126 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

A whole lot of part time jobs. None of them too exciting or particularly stable, but I get a whole lot of money, so I'm fine with it:

• Work with a digital publisher to design covers and write copies
  • Work at an after school daycare program with elementary school kids as a counselor
  • Work at a website covering video games hardware and software- this includes news, previews, reviews, and interviews. I get free game copies for review purposes, and I get to talk to game developers and publishers, which is awesome!
  • I am also a writer. I just completed my newest novel, which I am really proud of, but which I will not attempt to get published. I will soon begin work on my next project, which to my knowledge is something entirely new in literature. Previously, I've had a short story and a couple poems published in some literary journals.

So yeah, that's about it, really. Like I said, nothing exciting, nothing stable. But hey, I have fun, and I make enough money doing it, so I won't complain.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#127 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I get paid to learn and do math that theoretically has real-world economic applications. Theoretically I also learn how to do empirical economics lol

(I'm an econ grad student)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#128  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@DrTrafalgarLaw: Hey man! How you been, dude?

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@SUD123456 said:

Executive management, energy sector, large sized publicly traded

American I'm assuming? Where did you start?

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#130 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Professional NEET, I guess you could drop the first E though

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

Strength training

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#133 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@tormentos said:
@clyde46 said:

@tormentos: They come to us on trailers straight off the boats from Scandinavia. There only the little baby ones. We have two-three ton monster reels mostly. And pallets of paper. I took 3 ton to Nottingham today.

Yeah we get those i showed you from Canada and get other huge one to which are use to make boxes and paper bags as well.Thats cool man.

The dock that I run from is a Ro-Ro terminal. There are containers but most are trailers. From the boats they either go straight out or are taken to one of our 11 warehouses on the dock for splitting. I drive a rigid so I do multidrop groupage so I get all sorts of stuff. The other week I had a large pallet of 50 bags of malt destined for Sweden go over in my truck. I was not a happy bunny having to restack that in 25'C weather.

I actually don't have anything to do with the shipping part. Our company is split into two, Seaways and Logistics. I work on the Logistics side.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@charizard1605: Sounds like fun :). Wish I had any ounce of fun with my major tbh.

Kind of a waste of time for me which is why I switched so fast. Didn't like entry lab work and felt that I was kidding myself tbh. I've always been a guy of technology so my thoughts about it during my college years crept up on me around junior/senior year of college. Didn't start looking into it until around senior year though.

Didn't want to go back and get a cs degree so I thought I might have a rough time getting into IT or programming. Got extremely lucky/had good connections though and got something a few months ago. Been happier ever since and getting favorable remarks.

Sorry kind of went off on a tangent but I wish I would have liked what I studied for so long like you do.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Weather forecaster. I'm also taking up IT courses so I can expand into maintaining the weather servers.

Edit:

I twice turned down chances to move up to a more senior position because I wouldn't be forecasting or be around the workstations anymore. I prefer grunt work to sitting alone in an office, managing the people where I am now. I'm happy where I am. But, the issue seems to come up every year.

I also noticed those in their level are either balding or hairs graying with lots of stress lines on their faces. I think I'll stay put where I am. I like to keep my hair. ;-)

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I'm about to graduate with a Percussion Performance Degree.

I'll be moving back home to live with the rents for now. I'm moving my percussion studio out of the basement and into another property and getting some new instruments. I have some students already and hope to get quite a few more over the next few months. Already have 3 new ones about to start.

I am also going to be working with 2 local drumlines, taking a timpani audition for a local regional orchestra in a week, playing in a cover band duo, gigging with local music groups.

I'll be studying the piano pretty extensively for the next year, as well as sound and stage production with some colleagues that I am very blessed to know.

But what I really want to do is work with youth in a church setting. I'm doing this training and hunting for local jobs that want a worship pastor/music coordinator. If I haven't found a steady source of income or don't have enough students to make a living off of just the teaching I plan to go back to school in 2 years to study music education or youth ministry. Lot of we'll sees but God's got the plan!

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#137 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

I'm a logistic teamleader for a company that repairs consumer electronics. TV's + white goods.

It's a very interesting job, I have contacts with a large number people working for major brands (LG, Philips, Panasonic and Samsung), but it's also very hectic because we try to push our limits to the max for our customers.

mfachri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 mfachri
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Mayor of small city in South East Asia

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#139 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@tormentos said:
@cainetao11 said:

Much respect to your grandfather those were very harsh days for the longshoreman,the condition were super bad expose to NY cold weather,long hours and days of works on those days most cargo was what we call lose cargo there were no containers,most of the work was done by hand,if he was part of NYC longshoreman is the same union i am in,since our union covers the east side of US.

I have a 73 year old supervisor,and he tell me how harsh everything was on those days,nothing but admiration i feel for those kind of man.

That cool man i hope you finish your degree i have a friend who is disable veteran as well he was shot in Irak one of its longs collapse and a grenade exploded close to him as well.

Thanks dude, I'll keep working on it.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#140 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I do art-direction, strategy and concept at an internet agency.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#141 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

Web Site builder, HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, Support Team Manager, Development, etc... For a company who makes a CRM with dedicated sites and services for the real estate industry.
Been there 8 years..... Paid good, but not good enough as the company got bought out by Canadians as a side business, and we got to keep our jobs, but no health insurance. :(

SInce the bloody Canadians get it for free, they don't give a rats ass that we don't get shit here in the states so they don't give us any insurance.... and Screw Obamacare and its $500 a month +$7,000 deductable... who the hell can afford that? (without giving up everything else)?

Yeah I am biter.. I love my job, but can't stand the lack of certain benefits and the Pres who only helps the super poor or super rich... Leaving the middle class to take the brunt of everything!

Well you asked.... Back to gaming...

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

E-learning developer for a New England firm. We basically produce and host training materials/courses and testing/hiring modules for a variety of clients such as Bed Bath & Beyond, Bayer, Merck, Best Buy, Foxon Park Beverages to name some recent ones. It sounds all gravy but 80% of the time I'm just a glorified copy and paster. More often than not I basically take what an SME liaison from a client sends me (usually a huge power point file) and i turn it into a pretty online course for their employees. The bigger clients provide ALL of the content for their courses and i cannot stray or embellish which is extremely boring so i prefer the smaller contracts that allow us to author the content and look based on a general request including research. I primarily use Lectora, Captivate, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop for my duties. Shit can get so easy and monotonous sometimes that i watched all of House of Cards season 3 and Daredevil in a week and a half at work with rounds of hearthstone in between while working on my last project for example. Other times it is an energy sapping endeavor that requires my undivided attention and frequent coordination with multiple parties but not nearly as often as the former. Pay is decent for what i do i guess, i make about as much as my RN friend (she kills me on paid time off though easily tripling mine) and all she does is play hearthstone all day with some interruptions here and there to give old people pills and doctors charts. I want to drop this profession and devote myself to making mobile games or at the very least finish a project i've been dabbling with for the past two years (my personal attempt at a metroidvania with a twist).

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

I'm an independent financial adviser but employed by a bank. It bores the socks clean off me.

I have a degree in graphic design and basically I want to make that my career again. The money won't be as good but I love the work

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#144 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I'm a product designer, but also have an antique/second hand store.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#145 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44553 Posts
Loading Video...

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#146 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

electrician mainly working on construction sites on a family owned business which i like it alot but its been quite rough this last few years thanks to economic instability in my country my salary is almost halved

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

This is too humanizing...it's freaking me out

haha. this. i'm suddenly realizing we are a lot older than we seem when making stupid posts here on SW. myself included ofcourse.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@clyde46 said:

The dock that I run from is a Ro-Ro terminal. There are containers but most are trailers. From the boats they either go straight out or are taken to one of our 11 warehouses on the dock for splitting. I drive a rigid so I do multidrop groupage so I get all sorts of stuff. The other week I had a large pallet of 50 bags of malt destined for Sweden go over in my truck. I was not a happy bunny having to restack that in 25'C weather.

I actually don't have anything to do with the shipping part. Our company is split into two, Seaways and Logistics. I work on the Logistics side.

Oh i see nice.

I have actually work on a ro-ro ship here, man you have to suet your ass,you have to pull chains is a very physical work,most people use cordless impact wrench because is faster to lose the cargo from the safety chains,many of the merchandise end on a warehouse like that.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#149 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I work for a Data Storage company. I basically go out and fix broken equipment for customers. I like to tinker, and I pretty much set my own schedule, so it's a good job.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#150  Edited By coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

@tormentos:

Nice...I tried to get into that field when I was younger and I still lived in Baltimore, MD. I could never break into it though. You pretty much had to wait for someone to die, or retire. Even then you still had to be pretty well connected to even be considered.