What does System Wars do for a living?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NyaDC (8006 posts) -

Currently working for my local power utility as a lead insulator working on state funded prevailing wage contracts, this is my office.

#2 Posted by Heil68 (57942 posts) -

I work in IT at a software company.

#3 Posted by DaVillain- (28424 posts) -

Don't care if it's not SW related thread. I'm just a gamer who likes to well, discuss whatever the subject it is. Oh and likes to see ProtossX threads making a fool out of himself.

#4 Posted by NyaDC (8006 posts) -

@davillain- said:

Don't care if it's not SW related thread. I'm just a gamer who likes to well, discuss whatever the subject it is. Oh and likes to see ProtossX threads making a fool out of himself.

Well SW is its own little world and this relates to this subforum and the people within, I find it relevant, I don't care about GameSpot outside of this place.

#5 Posted by freedomfreak (50214 posts) -

Move boxes.

#6 Posted by Moistcarrot (838 posts) -

Play video games.

#7 Posted by NyaDC (8006 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Move boxes.

Warehouse job?

#8 Posted by freedomfreak (50214 posts) -
@nyadc said:

Warehouse job?

Kinda. I take care of stuff coming in, and make sure they end up on the shelves. It's a simple job, but it pays enough.

#9 Posted by jg4xchamp (61470 posts) -

Accountant.

#10 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12480 posts) -

I teach English as a second language to a variety of students, both as a private tutor and in a language school as well as a state university. I teach students ranging from 5th graders to retired adults and everyone in-between. Moreover, I also write for a music-related web-magazine and for an Xbox website. Apart from that, I dabble in occasional translations. I also used to work as a customer office clerk and an IT consultant.

Not to mention I have another full-time job in taking care of this little cutie pie:

#11 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12480 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

Accountant.

Do you work on SAP by any chance?

#12 Posted by Zethrickk382 (480 posts) -

Centrifuge Technician, currently in the oil and gas industry. "ClosedLoop Operations"

#13 Posted by iambatman7986 (2556 posts) -

Currently in commercial flooring sales, but I'm in college for software development and computer science so hopefully I'll be making a career shift soon.

#14 Posted by tormentos (26719 posts) -

Longshoreman.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
#15 Edited by chikenfriedrice (13561 posts) -

Commercial floor covering estimator

#16 Posted by NyaDC (8006 posts) -

@tormentos said:

Longshoreman.

Did you get in through a family member? That's not exactly a career you just fall into.

#17 Posted by DaVillain- (28424 posts) -

Sorry I forgot to answer your question. [I was helping GS test there new comment section on the articles] I'm a Nurse Practitioner for almost 2 years now and I like my career. Then again, I'm sick of working with Doctors bad attitudes but hey, the money is good.

#18 Posted by freedomfreak (50214 posts) -

@tormentos: I'd be okay with that job. Hard work for good pay.

#19 Edited by raugutcon (5313 posts) -

Veterinary Surgeon, I own a small veterinary hospital.

#20 Posted by Zero_epyon (12125 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Are they hiring telecommuters? :)

#21 Posted by demacabre (361 posts) -

Art Director in Advertising and Freelance Artist.

#22 Posted by clyde46 (49050 posts) -

Lorry driver.

#23 Edited by Zero_epyon (12125 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I teach English as a second language to a variety of students, both as a private tutor and in a language school as well as a state university. I teach students ranging from 5th graders to retired adults and everyone in-between. Moreover, I also write for a music-related web-magazine and for an Xbox website. Apart from that, I dabble in occasional translations. I also used to work as a customer office clerk and an IT consultant.

Not to mention I have another full-time job in taking care of this little cutie pie:

Cute kid! How old?

#24 Edited by commonfate (13320 posts) -

I play a flight simulator

#25 Posted by FinalFighters (2782 posts) -

I'm a Butcher at a supermarket.

#26 Posted by freedomfreak (50214 posts) -

@davillain-: That's cool. I assume you're a male? You are. Your love for boobs and ass give it away, but I admire that. You got any aspirations to go beyond that?

#27 Posted by Heil68 (57942 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:
@Heil68 said:

Are they hiring telecommuters? :)

hehehehe. I would wreck my stellar image on here to work with a SW user :P

#28 Posted by tormentos (26719 posts) -

@nyadc said:

Did you get in through a family member? That's not exactly a career you just fall into.

Yes my father was a longshoreman to is hard work and very dangerous but pays well and when you don't feel like working you just don't go and nothing happen.

@freedomfreak said:

@tormentos: I'd be okay with that job. Hard work for good pay.

Yep i don't really work much but for example i worked Tuesday,14 hours from 7 am to 11 pm,to go to my house sleep 5 hours and be back before 7am again Wednesday,until 11pm again and yesterday finish the ship in 5 more hours at 12pm,so basically i worked 33 hours in 2 and half days,i was totally beaten...hahaha

Is a cool job because most people are super fun so we are always cracking jokes and stuff like that because well the job is hard and is the only way you can get through it and make those hours fly.

#29 Posted by locopatho (23176 posts) -

Software engineer. Been working for a financial software company for around 3 years now. Enjoy my programming but finance bores me. Trying to get into a "shinier" job making modern mobile apps and customer facing websites, rather than maintaining decades old bank systems. Btw Americans be thankful for me, I've fixed a bunch of bugs in Bank Of America's systems :p

#30 Posted by freedomfreak (50214 posts) -
@tormentos said:

Yep i don't really work much but for example i worked Tuesday,14 hours from 7 am to 11 pm,to go to my house sleep 5 hours and be back before 7am again Wednesday,until 11pm again and yesterday finish the ship in 5 more hours at 12pm,so basically i worked 33 hours in 2 and half days,i was totally beaten...hahaha

Is a cool job because most people are super fun so we are always cracking jokes and stuff like that because well the job is hard and is the only way you can get through it and make those hours fly.

That sounds great to me. Great co-workers on the job is probably my most important factor when looking for a job. They can make a job so much easier to perform, because you're all on the same level. Good shit.

#31 Edited by gamecubepad (7738 posts) -

I'm a manager at walgreens and back in school working towards a degree in software engineering.

*edit* ^funny timing I want your job locopatho.

#32 Posted by jg4xchamp (61470 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Accountant.

Do you work on SAP by any chance?

The insurance stuff or the software?

If it's software, we don't use Sap at this place (old job yeah), we use something that is pretty much the same thing. Actual job stuff we're a big firm so we do a little of everything if you aren't set to one department from basic book keeping, to being called to do audits, to tax stuff, etc

#33 Edited by naz99 (2835 posts) -

I'm a Chef, been doing it 16 years next month, before that I used to do antique furniture restoration.

#34 Posted by freedomfreak (50214 posts) -

@naz99: What kind of food? Being a chef can't be easy, but I assume you worked yourself to that position?

#35 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17370 posts) -

Freelance 3D "Artist"... don't really consider myself an artist, but that's the job title. I mainly do modeling, digital sculpting and texture work for games, movies, marketing, simulation, etc, etc,. Basically anything that calls for a 3d model or some texture work, I'm in.

That's the main bulk of it anyways. Occasionally I'll do image editing and on rare occasion, video editing. Depends on the pay, but usually the 3d stuff snags me a higher rate.

Thinking about expanding into rigging an animation as well, the more skill sets, the better.

It's pretty awesome though. I get to sit at home in my boxers, screwing with you bros on SW while making money on my other monitor. Really can't complain about that.

#36 Posted by Gamerno6666 (5294 posts) -

Android Developer at a local firm in my country.

#37 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12480 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Cute kid! How old?

3 months in 4 days :)

#38 Edited by freedomfreak (50214 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries: What's the little fella's name?

#39 Posted by DaVillain- (28424 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@davillain-: That's cool. I assume you're a male? You are. Your love for boobs and ass give it away, but I admire that. You got any aspirations to go beyond that?

Sorry to disappoint but yes, I'm a boy/man whatever you wanna call it. Sure I'm a Hentai guy but I am one of those who has no shame.

#40 Posted by Chutebox (43474 posts) -

Male gigolo

#41 Posted by freedomfreak (50214 posts) -
@davillain- said:

Sorry to disappoint but yes, I'm a boy/man whatever you wanna call it. Sure I'm a Hentai guy but I am one of those who has no shame.

I'm a-okay with that. I'm playing Lightning Warrior Princess 2 here. Look that up, and see.

#42 Edited by gamecubepad (7738 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner:

So do you sculpt in zbrush? I've tried for year to wrap my head around that but I haven't gotten very far. I'm pretty good with Maya and my skills with UDK/UE are rapidly expanding.

I envy your lifestyle, teach me your ways. lol.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
#43 Posted by chikenfriedrice (13561 posts) -

This is too humanizing...it's freaking me out

#44 Posted by freedomfreak (50214 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice: Really?

"Can't work with lemmings" is on my motivation letter.

#45 Posted by tormentos (26719 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Lorry driver.

Funny enough..hahahaa

They get carry on what we call mules here,which is like a truck but slimmer and smaller,i have several friend who also do that.

#46 Edited by IgGy621985 (5455 posts) -

Journalist and PR manager.

Trying to get into Android programming too.

Also @clyde46 your job is freaking awesome.

#47 Posted by DaVillain- (28424 posts) -

@Gamerno6666: I didn't know you work as a Android Developer. Must be a cool job huh? But I do wish they give you a raise.

@locopatho said:

Software engineer. Been working for a financial software company for around 3 years now. Enjoy my programming but finance bores me. Trying to get into a "shinier" job making modern mobile apps and customer facing websites, rather than maintaining decades old bank systems. Btw Americans be thankful for me, I've fixed a bunch of bugs in Bank Of America's systems :p

And as an American, let me be the one to say Thank you for your hard work :D

#48 Edited by demacabre (361 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

This is too humanizing...it's freaking me out

Ha! Right? It's kind of nice to be grounded back into reality before returning to the regularly scheduled berating each other over their plastic encased circuit boards of choice.

#49 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17370 posts) -

@gamecubepad said:

@ConanTheStoner:

So do you sculpt in zbrush? I've tried for year to wrap my head around that but I haven't gotten very far. I'm pretty good with Maya and my skills with UDK/UE are rapidly expanding.

I envy your lifestyle, teach me your ways. lol.

Yep, Zbrush for the sculpting. And yes it is a nightmare. The interface is balls and the entire logic of the program flies in the face of every other 3d program. I bet they found that shit at Area 51, it's like nothing else out there.

Maya is a good one to stick to man, it's the most widely used. I cut my teeth on 3DS Max, but I'm using Modo these days. It's the best modeling program I've found and being a freelancer I needed an affordable license.

Just find an aspect of this stuff that you enjoy and stick to it man!

I kind of "lucked out" in the most ass backwards way. I was on probation for 3 years with a 5 year prison sentence looming over my head if I fucked up. I quit my crazy lifestyle and spent those years on the computer learning as much as I could haha.

Anybody can do this stuff, but it takes a major time investment.

#50 Posted by tormentos (26719 posts) -

@naz99 said:

I'm a Chef, been doing it 16 years next month, before that I used to do antique furniture restoration.

Damn i love cooking i am still thinking about taking classes at my age,i am pretty good to well at least when it comes to traditional food here,and some other plates.

@freedomfreak said:

That sounds great to me. Great co-workers on the job is probably my most important factor when looking for a job. They can make a job so much easier to perform, because you're all on the same level. Good shit.

Yeah man they are and we are a certain group mostly like 6 to 9 which always messing around,most days we all eat together to,you would see my minivan full we have such a blast,some times is like escape from the every day life hahahahaa..