What do you want to see for First party support on PS5?

Avatar image for TheMisterManGuy
TheMisterManGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheMisterManGuy
Member since 2011 • 254 Posts

We're getting closer to the next generation of games as the 2010s wind down. One key component of Next gen systems will be more important than ever before, First party content from the platform holders. With Nintendo fully flexing the muscle of its Entertainment Planning and Development Division (EPD) on the Switch, and Microsoft doing its best to rebuild Xbox Game Studios in time for Scarlett, That just leaves Sony, and its Worldwide Studios to speculate about for the PlayStation 5. The company recently made some key changes to its First party software management. Shawn Layden recently departed from his position as WWS chairman, long-time PlayStation alumni, Shuei Yoshida is being moved out of WWS, and Gurrella Games Studio Head, Herman Hulst, had just been given the keys to Sony's entire First Party Empire.

With all these changes made, what do you want or hope to see in terms of First Party games from Sony and their army of 14 development subsidiaries and independent collaborators? Here's a few things I want to see next gen

1.) Continue to embrace big budget projects - One of PlayStation's strengths is that it's not afraid to go all out with the production values of its games. As much as the "PlayStation Exclusive Template" formula bothers some people, it's a formula that works, and more importantly, sells PlayStation hardware en mass. People like big games, and Sony delivers some of the best in the business, so continue to allow developers the unlimited budget afforded by the nature of being a platform holder. That being said...

2.) Try to green-light more niche, and smaller titles too - One of the best things about being a Platform holder, is that the budget you have from the various revenue streams (System-Selling franchises, Third Party license fees, Online Services, Hardware profits, etc.) allows you to finance and produce games that otherwise wouldn't see the light of day under most third party publishers. Even if the game has no real sales potential, it's still good to have these niche, less profitable games in order to bolster your content lineup and make your box stand out from the others. Sony recently has kind of pulled back on these types of games for the later PS4 years, and it's a bit disappointing, especially since these types of games used to be all over the PS2 and even the PS3. With the PS5, I think Sony should encourage some of their lower tier studios like PixelOpus and Japan Studio to experiment with smaller, more medium scale projects that focus on ideas rather than just set-pieces. Give them budgets bigger than an indie studio, but not as large as the ones from Sony's higher class developers like Naughty Dog or Insomniac. I want more games like Concrete Genie and Dreams, in between the AAA cinematic games.

3.) Add a bit more variety to the lineup - I said before that the "PlayStation Exclusive" formula should be kept as it's Sony's key weapon for selling systems. But that doesn't mean those are the only games that Sony should be publishing on the PS5. I'd like to see a bit more variety added to the lineup next gen, that isn't just regulated to PS VR titles. Add some RPGs, Fighting games, Arcade style games, Platformers (Bring back Jack & Daxter you bastards!), and other games.

4.) Try to revive forgotten PlayStation series - Let's be honest, each of the big three has their share of franchise graveyards in their skeleton closets. I know its not financially realistic to support every IP, but a little more effort would be nice from all of them. As for where Sony stands, they fall somewhere between Microsoft (worst) and Nintendo (best, but still far from perfect). They have a few series that lasted for more than 2 generations like GoW, Ratchet & Clank, and Gran Turismo, but there's a ton of IPs that Sony rarely supports beyond like, 3 games. Now I'm not saying you need to go on a complete reboot spree, but some love for your past would be appreciated. How about a new Ape Escape game? There's a ton of cool stuff you can do with the DualShock 5 in that game. What about Jack & Daxter? Maybe a new Ecochrome, LocoRoco, Parrappa The Rapper, Sly Cooper. Just bring back a few PlayStation series that fans really want to see return.

So that's basically what I want from Worldwide Studios next gen. Sony has done a great job with its first party lineup this gen, possibly the best its ever been. But I still think it could be even better with the PS5.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54325 Posts

I think you summed up the breadth of what anybody could possibly want lol.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 36438 Posts

Japanese stuff would interest me, their movie games are of 0 interest.

Not expecting much from next-gen other than shitty ways to ween more money out of you.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 127

#4  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 11007 Posts

An option to play games at 60fps. Even if it is only 1080p. I only play exclusives on PS4 and almost all of them run at 30fps. Terrible. The developers need to optimize and adjust the scope of the games to meet the 60fps target because we don't have the option to play them on PC like MS first party and multiplats.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36289 Posts

Wipeout and Motorstorm, unlikely since Psygnosis and Evolution are gone, but maybe other studios might be up to the task of rebooting these IPs one day. Oh, I'd like to see Guerrilla do another Killzone game, though wouldn't be surprised if they chase the success of Horizon instead, I'd personally rather have a new Killzone game. Since Sony now owns Insomniac and Insomniac retained control of Sunset Overdrive IP, hopefully another one of those at some point, though they'd probably want to focus on the success they've had with the Spider-Man game, on that end I'd like to see a Spider-Man game go for that same style and setting as the Spider-Verse movie, might be a good idea if Sony makes more of these movies.

Sony's Japan Studios offerings should be interesting now that the Vita isn't around anymore. I would like to see more Siren games. Curious if Ueda will attempt another game since The Last Guardian took so long, but would be good news if he's making another game. But at very least I'd take a definitive collection of his games. Hopefully next gen we either get a Patapon collection or new Patapon game designed for PS5.

Oh, and a God of War game for sure.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lundy86_4

@BassMan: If that were the case, i'd probably have a dedicated 1080p screen.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BassMan

@lundy86_4 said:

@BassMan: If that were the case, i'd probably have a dedicated 1080p screen.

Most of the good 4K TVs do a good job of displaying 1080p content. Their scalers are usually quite a bit better than a traditional PC monitor.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6509 Posts

Scrap whatever From is doing and make Bloodborne 2.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lundy86_4

@BassMan: Not terrible, but I do see it. I wish I hadn't given my 1080p 55" Sammy to my bro when I upgraded to the Q8.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BassMan

@lundy86_4: I may be upgrading to an LG C9 soon. So, I will most likely move my LG B6 to my bedroom and sell the 60" 1080p Sony I have in there. The B6 does well at 1080p. So, no need to keep the Sony.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58270 Posts

A continuation of the barn busting number of world class games, like the PS4 enjoys.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 4488 Posts

They have already stated there will be less exclusives, next gen is irrelevant for me in that regard. For people who only play consoles for those games, there is no incentive to buy the console for two or three games.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2761 Posts

I would like PS5's library to go back to the diverse appeal that was the PS2's library.

The PS3 and PS4 generations have narrowed the offerings down considerably so, and while there have certainly been heavy-AAA-hitters on the PS4, we need to go back to taking greater risks in the medium so the AAA market can feel less of a cookie-cutter standard for specific types of games.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
MclarenMaster18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#14  Edited By MclarenMaster18
Member since 2014 • 2000 Posts

The only 2 party IPs I want to see are Gran Turismo and Motorstorm.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19537 Posts

Some variety would be nice.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 1363 Posts

Anything besides what they've been doing

TheMisterManGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheMisterManGuy
@Random_Matt said:

They have already stated there will be less exclusives, next gen is irrelevant for me in that regard. For people who only play consoles for those games, there is no incentive to buy the console for two or three games.

Layden said he wanted fewer but bigger games. But that may not be the case now that he's gone. This is Hulst's WWS now, so we're probably going to see a different mindset regarding what games get made.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28985 Posts

I’d love to see them bring back Legend of Dragoon with either a remaster/remake of the first, a sequel, or even both.

SaltSlasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SaltSlasher
Member since 2015 • 1391 Posts

Who even plans to buy a PS5? The PS4 is dead weight, and don't need another paper weight.

Subspecies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 936 Posts

Rule of Rose sequel.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 20766 Posts

More niche stuff like a Gravity Rush 3 and an Omega Boost remake or sequel.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5428 Posts

Uncharted, Last of Us, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Motorstorm, Resistance, Killzone, PS Allstars, Gran Turismo, Infamous and of course new IPs

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 13547 Posts

I'm surprised no one said games that are not best watched on YouTube.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 5438 Posts

Start with Gravity Rush 3. Make a console version of Soul Sacrifice with the help of From Software.

Stop following in Nintendo’s footsteps. Fund a traditional PlayStation cross over fighting game developed by Capcom or Arc rather than a smash clone.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14669 Posts

@TheMisterManGuy said:

We're getting closer to the next generation of games as the 2010s wind down.

Mister,

Don't know what happened to your other thread, but I got a notification for it but when I click on it I get a 404 Not Found. Didn't get to read your reply unfortunately. Was the thread deleted? I can't find it.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 25734 Posts

@BassMan said:

An option to play games at 60fps. Even if it is only 1080p. I only play exclusives on PS4 and almost all of them run at 30fps. Terrible. The developers need to optimize and adjust the scope of the games to meet the 60fps target because we don't have the option to play them on PC like MS first party and multiplats.

Or just put all of their first party games on PC, too! Lol

TheMisterManGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheMisterManGuy
@MirkoS77 said:
@TheMisterManGuy said:

Mister,

Don't know what happened to your other thread, but I got a notification for it but when I click on it I get a 404 Not Found. Didn't get to read your reply unfortunately. Was the thread deleted? I can't find it.

Yeah, I deleted it, sorry about that. In the end, I felt it was a pointless thread to make, so I took it down.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14669 Posts

@TheMisterManGuy said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@TheMisterManGuy said:

Mister,

Yeah, I deleted it, sorry about that. In the end, I felt it was a pointless thread to make, so I took it down.

Ah ok, no worries.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#30 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79545 Posts

SUNSET. OVERDRIVE. 2.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BassMan

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@BassMan said:

Or just put all of their first party games on PC, too! Lol

That is the dream, but Sony are greedy cunts that are too focused on their console business. So, that is not going to happen any time soon.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25863 Posts

-Strategy games, be it turn based or RTS

-Arcade racers

-More Ratchet, more than one per gen

-Syphon Filter ya cunts

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Some variety would be nice.

I agree.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 8778 Posts

the getaway 3 resistance 4 sly cooper game jack and daxter 4 syphon filter socom

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#36  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2586 Posts

Less movie games, more online first party MP. More variety, first party RPG, FPS, Racing...

Remake/Remaster of classics since no imagination anymore. Syphon Filter, SOCOM, Killzone... how about Vagrant Story Remake?? Legacy of Kain, Legend of Dragoon, Nightmare Creatures..

What people rather play... Dad of War 2: The Movie / Horizon 2: Feminism of Dawn or what i mention up there... yeah lol

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 5476 Posts

The three biggest things I want are.

1. SOCOM 5 (a new SOCOM game or at least SOCOM Confrontation 2)

2. An Early Access program.

3. More games in the mid tier range and lesser known PC type games given a chance on console. More survival and MMO type games.

Honorable mentions and/or things I would like to see SONY do with the PS5:

1. Enough with the remakes... instead of rehashing the same game again why not try a little different route? Make a direct sequel or prequel of a beloved game and give it very similar or even the SAME controls and menus. I think people would love that.. I know I would. Can you imagine just out of the blue getting more of your favorite games, but with new storylines, characters, and gameplay? That would be awesome.. I truly hope the industry moves in this direction. May be my only chance of ever getting a real sequel to Breath of Fire III.. since everything after it went a different direction and sucked ass.

2. I sure hope the no loading times, or very small loading time rumors are true.

3. Completely backward compatible including PS3 without mandatory downloads? I mean fully native?

4. Easier cloud saves to pick up and play on your account across multiple PS5's.

5. A bigger push for online multiplayer.

6. Menus that don't hang or lag.

7. Access to Hulu Live and other live streaming services.

8. Bring back college (NCAA) sports games.

9. Block use of cheating devices, and keep pushing cross play.. however give people the choice of being matched with similar peripherals.

10. More options and sliders. They want to push cross play then give us FOV sliders, shadow control, etc. as well.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24823 Posts

Not as many casual 30 fps 3rd person action games with a lot of cinematics and lots of gameplay parts that are just walking or climbing walls. I don't even play them, and I'm bored of them.

Sony's offerings have always been stale and boring compared to Nintendo's, and I doubt it'll change. But one can hope.

sleepnsurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sleepnsurf
Member since 2009 • 3243 Posts

@Litchie said:

Not as many casual 30 fps 3rd person action games with a lot of cinematics and lots of gameplay parts that are just walking or climbing walls. I don't even play them, and I'm bored of them.

Sony's offerings have always been stale and boring compared to Nintendo's, and I doubt it'll change. But one can hope.

This here. The only games I thought were great were Ratchet and Clank, TLOU and Until Dawn. The rest of the games all played the exact same with different skins. Boring af!

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#40 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6176 Posts

PlayStation needs more IPs, They heavily focused on the 3rd person view adventure games this gen. Its time for more exclusive 2 D platformers, puzzle games, RPGs & beat em ups. Dig in the vaults of history and bring some old genres back.