What do you think about The Witcher 3 combat?

• 178 results
Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

The Witcher 3 is top-tier in terms of writing, world-building, presentation, graphics, voice acting, exploration, side quests, quests, music and most things that make a game great. However it has one major flaw for me. The combat. It's a critical component of the game as well. You're a Witcher who makes a living off killing monsters.

While I think the game is fantastic, I think it getting all sorts of accolades and praise sets a dangerous precedent. A game can have one major and prevalent flaw and still be lauded by critics as one of the best(and I've seen people call it the best) RPG's ever. It's not a minor inconvenience like a questionable save system or a component of the combat(weapons breaking too quickly). It's the entire combat system. It's nothing short of terrible.

With that I ask, what do you think of the combat system in The Witcher 3? How much did it impact your enjoyment of the game? What do you think about the fact that it seems to be treated as an afterthought mostly.

KMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 KMP
Member since 2017 • 380 Posts

I just came to get The Witcher 3 spoiled because of some arbitrary dumbass rule a dumbass made about when you can spoil the third in a series of longass RPGs.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

Not to go off topic, but The Witcher 3 is on sale right now on X1. 25 dollars for complete edition. Is it worth it?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I disagree. I think the combat system is better than most non-turn-based RPGs. There are much better games for combat out there from other genres, but I think it should be held up against its peers

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

The combat is the reason why I sold that trash game and used the money to get Arkam Knight.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

I don't think it's that bad tbh. I'm much more annoyed with the slow as molasses leveling system. I'm early in the game and I can't anything because levels are too low. Then it takes forever and a day to gain a damn level. I remember I had 969/1000 exp and I was trying to level up. I swam up onto a beach and it turned out to be occupied by a large pirate group. I fought and slaughtered like 30 pirates on that beach in a fierce battle while dodging crossbow bolts. By the time they were all dead I was at 984/100 smh

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Juub1990

@primorandomguy said:

Not to go off topic, but The Witcher 3 is on sale right now on X1. 25 dollars for complete edition. Is it worth it?

Yes

@xantufrog said:

I disagree. I think the combat system is better than most non-turn-based RPGs. There are much better games for combat out there from other genres, but I think it should be held up against its peers

Why would you even compare its combat turn-based RPG's? You best compare it to action RPG's like Kingdoms of Amalur, Darksiders, TES or Fallout.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Primorandomguy

@Juub1990: Ok, I think I'm going to buy it. See what all the fuss is about lol.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xantufrog  Moderator

@Juub1990: I didn't compare it to turn-based RPGs.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Primorandomguy

@Mercenary848: Arkham Knight is a shit game. :/

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

It was alright. A lot of the game is about knowing the enemy and adapting to fighting the enemy type in front of you. For instance how you fight a wraith was different than when I fought a golem or human opponent.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Juub1990

@xantufrog said:

@Juub1990: I didn't compare it to turn-based RPGs.

Sorry, missed the non turn-based part. I would argue it's worse than most decent action RPG's in terms of combat.

Kekistani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kekistani
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

I thought it was great half way through the game, then it got too easy at the end.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I absolutely hate the combat in The Witcher 3. It's terrible and I had to stop playing the game because of it.

Combat and movement controls are very important and while the game may do other things very well, I don't think it should be receiving the near perfect review scores that it received when the combat and movement controls are so terrible.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56082 Posts

I think the Combat System is okay, never had any issues with it really. People need to remember Witcher 3 isn't a hack-n-slash, it takes time when making a blow to your enemies and I like using spells but most of the times, I pretty much cast Igni, Quen, and Yrden for the most parts. When playing Witcher 3 on PC, I always use my Xbox Elite Controller and I can tell you it works really good and I feel it's best suited for this type of game since it's 3rd person.

Overall, I like the Combat in Witcher 3, I just learn to adapt within the games mechanics.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Saying the combat was average is an doing Witcher a favor.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#17 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Juub1990:

To me, it's a bad version of Fable 2's combat system.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

I enjoyed the combat....for an RPG, it's awesome.

In fact I enjoyed everything about the Witcher 3 and it might be my favorite game of all time.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Primorandomguy

I have another question. I've been hesitant getting Witcher 3 because I couldn't get into the Witcher 2 at all. Do you think there's a good chance I will enjoy Witcher 3 even though I couldn't get into 2?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaVillain  Moderator

@primorandomguy said:

I have another question. I've been hesitant getting Witcher 3 because I couldn't get into the Witcher 2 at all. Do you think there's a good chance I will enjoy Witcher 3 even though I couldn't get into 2?

I say get it cause Witcher 3 is a huge improvement over Witcher 2 to me that is. It is hard for me to go back playing Witcher 2 for me, that part I can say that.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Primorandomguy

@davillain-: Thanks. I'm going to go ahead and buy it.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Howmakewood  Online
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Should open same thread for quite a few games, it is interesting how Witcher grabs all the shit, but yes it is pretty mediocre, feels sluggish, there's not much sense of an impact, it's quite slow paced considering Geralt is a witcher whose speed is supposedly vastly superior to normal human's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#23  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

It was fine. It's not the best in the world and it very clearly is the weakest component of the game, but it never detracted from my enjoyment of the game.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Played it on Death March and absolutely loved it.

It had some small hitches, but the Souls series is the only sword and board 3rd person RPG series that has better combat. And, I don't know if I'd count Nioh, because it is basically the same as Souls combat.

Apparently, doing combat for 3rd person RPG games in a semi-realistic manner is difficult without making it a mindless button mashing hack and slash.

Honestly, though, if you never played the game on death march, then you probably don't know how good it is. It's actually a good challenge on death march, requiring actual strategy to beat most enemies.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xantufrog  Moderator

I like that it penalizes a hack-n-slash approach. You have to be willing to back off and circle your enemies, and use multiple tools strategically. Especially when fighting a group. I agree that the controls are a bit clumsy, but it's not much of an issue if you aren't trying to bulldoze your way through a mob. When I'm in the mood for DmC or something, I'll play that, but I really enjoy the more heavy and strategic combat of TW3 in its context. Reminds me of my time studying Kendo, when the realities of sword combat hit me (literally)

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#26 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts
@davillain- said:
@primorandomguy said:

I say get it cause Witcher 3 is a huge improvement over Witcher 2 to me that is. It is hard for me to go back playing Witcher 2 for me, that part I can say that.

Funny. I made a topic awhile ago asking if where I should start on the Witcher. Got mixed responses. But after playing the first 2 I have no interest in 3.

I assume if the combats anything like the first two it is absolute ass. Yeah we all wish we were Geralt and boobies and such. Much bravado. Pass.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24919 Posts

Worst combat ever in third person action game i have seen. and thats the reason why its one of the most overrated game of this gen.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Howmakewood  Online

@ghosts4ever said:

Worst combat ever in third person action game i have seen. and thats the reason why its one of the most overrated game of this gen.

that pretty much says how many third person games you have played

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I didn't have any problem with it. I liked the floaty nature of how Geralt moved. I know it's not the deepest combat system ever, but it's not that terrible. I never truly understood the hate.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

It's fine. Have I played better? Sure, but I really don't understand all of the bitching against it, and from this forum in particular.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

The combat is fine, I wish the normal movement controls would be a little tighter. Been a while since I played the game and had some problems with them, especially after beating Zelda with its tight controls.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xantufrog  Moderator

@DragonfireXZ95: I agree. I also didn't specify my playing situation: I was playing 60FPS with M&K - maybe it's a very different experience on consoles or other control schemes

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@primorandomguy said:

I couldn't enjoy The Witcher 2 either, but I got caught up in the hype for The Witcher 3 and I tried it hoping that it would fix the flaws that made me not like The Witcher 2 (namely the horrible combat and horrible movement mechanics), but it didn't. The combat and movement in The Witcher 3 is still horrible and therefore I couldn't enjoy this game either.

I don't understand why this developer that is so great at designing other aspects of the game is incapable of designing good combat or even something as basic and critical as movement.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

It's not good, the other aspects are just so great that outweigh that shortcoming for me, but it's understandable why one would opt to not play it due to that aspect being subpar, after all it's an important element of the game.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@DragonfireXZ95: I agree. I also didn't specify my playing situation: I was playing 60FPS with M&K - maybe it's a very different experience on consoles or other control schemes

Same. Was playing at 60 fps with mouse and keyboard. The initial movement controls were a little strange, but CD PR fixed that pretty quickly with the movement change in the options. Although they didn't really seem to affect combat that much, mostly just running around in the world normally.

I loved the difference between the dodge and roll key. The fact that when you dodge behind an enemy, Geralt spins in a 180 circle so he's facing them is so cool. And if you dodge away from them, he doesn't spin. I thought it was a unique twist in dodge controls.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

@howmakewood: you should know better than to reply to anything ghost write...

Anyway while the combat wasn't the greatest, people hugely exaggerates how bad it was...

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Howmakewood  Online

@djoffer: Oh I know, it's just fun to poke at him as he hates everything 3rd person

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38  Edited By khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

It's serviceable. It's got issues, but I didn't think any of them were pervasive enough to hamper the overall experience.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

Perfect combat. The blocking, dodging, parrying, requiring perfect timing. Can't ask for more in a game, and it's much better than stupid Arkham combat which it's all just two buttons spammed over and over. How anyone could even suggest that it's better is beyond reason. Wow.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58917 Posts

The gameplay has terrible design, but people have been conditioned to kiss CDP butt, even though they have generally always been low/med developer, just a very loud one that thinks it's better than it actually is.

Skyrim is an objectively better designed game. Funnily enough, yet that's the one that gets the hammering, while Witcher 3's (plainly) terrible gameplay is ignored.

It's a disgrace, really.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44144 Posts

I thought that it was ok, didn't really have any issues with it myself and it didn't detract any with the overall game which I found to be excellent. The only gripe I had with the game was that the underwater swimming felt awkward but that was a very minor gripe.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xantufrog  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

Skyrim is an objectively better designed game. Funnily enough, yet that's the one that gets the hammering, while Witcher 3's (plainly) terrible gameplay is ignored.

Skyrim has some of the most mindless point-and-click combat you can find. It's about as shallow as you can get

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

A few things:

• I hate the movement - even the alternate movement style is annoying. I know it looks more realistic, but it's a game.
  • I felt that the combat system just wasn't that fun until the late game when I had lots of skill points to invest (late game Combat + Alchemy was fun).
  • I think the quest design was better in the earlier Witcher games. Yes W3 is polished and streamlined, but I feel like it lost some of it's role playing. W3 is very much a follow-your-mini-map kind of game.

I enjoyed the game for the most part, but I did have to force myself to finish it.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

@primorandomguy: YES.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I like the combat when the game demands you use everything.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Had no issues with it at all, it's responsive enough and passable when compared to the majority of real time RPG's (it's far better than Skyrim). Besides eviscerating bandits never gets old.

FenderKiller17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FenderKiller17
Member since 2017 • 122 Posts

Personally, I found the combat system to be refreshing. It broke the mold of similar RPGs.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator

@Wasdie said:

I didn't have any problem with it. I liked the floaty nature of how Geralt moved. I know it's not the deepest combat system ever, but it's not that terrible. I never truly understood the hate.

Nether have I. I'm not saying it's the best combat in Witcher 3 but I never had any issues with it at all and it's what I expected a Witcher to do in a combat, take your time and don't treat it like a hack-n-slash game. Geralt's movement is just fine so I too never got the hate for the combat at all.

But I'll say this, I play this with my Xbox Elite Controller when it comes to any 3rd person views, I don't if the hate comes from using KB/M but I just think using a controller helps out in my case however.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I don't dislike it as much as other people. It certainly didn't ruin the experience for me.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

The combat was acceptably okay. I think it's highly disingenuous to say it's bad, and is the kind of thing contrarians say for the simple sake of shitting on what's popular.

It isn't combo heavy or complex as a control style, and yes it's not a big draw for the game, but there's enough enemy variety and passive designs you can build into that make it better than other mindless action button mashers or action-RPGS. And there's nothing particularly buggy or fundamentally busted about any of it either.