What do you expect Next gen for DX12/11.1, OpenGL, Physx, Havok and other APIs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NoodleFighter (10501 posts) -

Primarily PC gamers should be expecting since consoles can be developed more closely without the need of an API.

Since Direct X11.1 is coming with Windows 8 I feel their won't be any new Direct X anytime soon unless they'll release DirectX12 as an update not with the next OS.

I really think Microsoft should gather developers such as DICE, Epic Games, Crytek, id software, and other videogame technology leaders ask them advice on their DirectX API like to trim down unnecessary coding or ideas for new graphical features. Even have the indie guys come in and have their opinion on how to make the use of the API easier so they can take more advantage of hardware and graphical features.

OpenGL isn't as used much since Microsoft is able to encourage more to use DirectX and a few othe reasons, for sure they definately have the support of Mac and Linux users who want more games to support their prefered OS.

Nvidia has some nice stuff with physx but to ever actually see any of it in action they'll need to allow their competitor AMD to have it. I don't know what is going on between the two but I hope they come to an agreement to allow some form of GPU accelerated physx on AMD platform. As for CUDA and ATI stream or whatever it is called I really don't know to what to say to them interms of gaming.

Havok has the advantage on PC for physics since Nvdia GPU accelerated physx is limited to their cards, they should work on new destruction, unique object gravity, unqiue fragmentation, and what other stuff Physx is and isn't capable of. It makes feel sad to see all this CPU power go to waste on games except RTS. With Intels incredible work on CPU architectures and AMD well uh cramming in more cores. Not to mention coding for CPUs is a lot easier than GPUs.

#2 Posted by gamebreakerz__ (5120 posts) -
I would like to see devs actually utilize the latest tech, instead of going with the lowest common denominator (consoles).
#3 Posted by -Unreal- (24650 posts) -

I don't get why people compare Havok to PhysX. I don't think Havok has particle physics.

#4 Posted by rasengan2552 (4988 posts) -
DX11 isn't even an industry standard yet, why even worry about a new installment ?
#5 Posted by achilles614 (5310 posts) -
DX11 isn't even an industry standard yet, why even worry about a new installment ?rasengan2552
I guess so the lowest denominator gets brought up
#6 Posted by rasengan2552 (4988 posts) -
[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]DX11 isn't even an industry standard yet, why even worry about a new installment ?achilles614
I guess so the lowest denominator gets brought up

True.
#9 Posted by rasengan2552 (4988 posts) -

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]DX11 isn't even an industry standard yet, why even worry about a new installment ?SEANMCAD

kind of depends on what you mean by 'industry standard' doesnt it?

I mean, what is the industry currently using? DX9. I would call DX9 actually the 'industry standard' which to be frank is pretty sad

Yep. because devs are still trying to cater to consumers with outdated PCs. They need to go ahead and just cut off dx9 support, it's for the better.
#10 Posted by AzatiS (14969 posts) -
With next gen consoles ( theoritically ) being capable of DX 10 you expect massive DX 11.1 games? Naaah
#12 Posted by NoodleFighter (10501 posts) -

[QUOTE="SEANMCAD"]

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]DX11 isn't even an industry standard yet, why even worry about a new installment ?rasengan2552

kind of depends on what you mean by 'industry standard' doesnt it?

I mean, what is the industry currently using? DX9. I would call DX9 actually the 'industry standard' which to be frank is pretty sad

Yep. because devs are still trying to cater to consumers with outdated PCs. They need to go ahead and just cut off dx9 support, it's for the better.

Or outdated OS *cough XP*

#13 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

With next gen consoles ( theoritically ) being capable of DX 10 you expect massive DX 11.1 games? Naaah AzatiS

Why would they be dx10? They'll use whichever is the latest.

#15 Posted by Wasdie (53593 posts) -

I have no idea. DX11 was a huge upgrade to the rendering pipeline and added a ton of great features. I think we need to let DX11 mature a lot more and have games built from the ground up in DX11 before we start talking about DX12.

#16 Posted by Wasdie (53593 posts) -

[QUOTE="AzatiS"]With next gen consoles ( theoritically ) being capable of DX 10 you expect massive DX 11.1 games? Naaah edidili

Why would they be dx10? They'll use whichever is the latest.

Consoles don't use any DX version, they have their own APIs that are built for their hardware and are nothing like DX9.

Games like BF3 and Just Cause 2 show that you can have a multiplat game native in DX10/11. DX9 has had a lot of life and a lot of the engines that console games use were DX9 on the PC when they were developed. If you're making a console game, it's kind of pointless to upgrade the PC engine.

Now the Unreal 3.0 engine, CryEngine 3, and Frostbite 2.0 engine are all DX11 capable as well as a handful of others.

#18 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11690 posts) -
The Xbox 360 uses a custom built DirectX9 API. It has less overhead than it's PC counterpart and more focused on it's own hardware instead of being a universal standard.
#19 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I'd like to see games that looked like a few years old tech-demos for starters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-gEaDa8HWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K8masjDBrI

I don't see a point in moving to DX12 already when no DX11 game looks like the Samaritan demo.

But I think the consoles will get DX11 support and (hopefully) native 1080p support next-gen so we'll see more games utilizing it better (also hardware physics rendering/support on the consoles).

#20 Posted by NoodleFighter (10501 posts) -

I don't get why people compare Havok to PhysX. I don't think Havok has particle physics.

-Unreal-

Would this count as particle physics? This was all done on Havok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cLOLE9Tn-g