What could make Gears of War very relevant again?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) 3 years, 5 months ago

Poll: What could make Gears of War very relevant again? (35 votes)

Being more tactical 17%
Having sandbox elements 0%
Having more horror elements 14%
Having more, and varied gameplay mechanics 14%
All of the above 34%
Other (specify) 17%

Hello, my fellow System Warriors, the claim of Cliff Bleszinski coming out of self-proclaimed retirement made me think about the future of Gears of War somehow, even if he won't be involved in it.

Gears of War used to be a beloved franchise which somehow has been progressively losing its reputation with each subsequent iteration (whereas Uncharted franchise arguably has always delivered more of the same and somehow has gotten more and more attention with each new installment). The nail in the coffin was its spin-off, Judgement (which I hadn't played). What do you think would make GeoW a top franchise and a top game again?

Would it be more tactical options, like customizable weapons with huge selection of armory as well as some squad commands?

Would it be maybe sandbox elements which would encourage exploration process?

Or maybe the expansion of the atmospheric, horror-like elements (Kryll) most prominent in the first GeoW and present in the second one as well? You know, when you had to avoid shadows and using lights to progress through certain sections. I thought the games were more atmospheric during such sections than anything from Resident Evil 4 onwards. I saw immense potential in these sections, I thought they were brilliant.

Or maybe the reinvention of the core mechanics, adding some new moves, like jumping and stuff, and thus make the gameplay more varied and involved more planes?

#1 Edited by Chutebox (43117 posts) -

Nothing to me. Played the first two and if it's possible to have below zero interest in something, I have it for Gears.

Love the whining about Uncharted btw.

#2 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

A new IP instead of Gears 4

#3 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) -

Do you know as I typed this, I spotted a bargain Gears of War 2 copy in very good condition for 6 bucks (along with shipping) and couldn't help but buy it?

#4 Posted by lawlessx (48753 posts) -

the series overstayed its welcome after gears 2..we don't need more

#5 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -

It was never relevant in first place.

#6 Edited by lamprey263 (34415 posts) -

Horde mode to me has always been my favorite thing for Gears since the second game, get a few friends together and we can spend all night dealing with wave after wave, I liked the Gears 2 Horde mode better than Gear 3's, I really don't care for the Lambent at all.

Gears of War Judgement, I never got it because for starters my friends weren't interested when it came out and then I moved and got rid of my Xbox and its games when I did so. But from videos I've seen the campaign gameplay looks a lot more challenging, the campaign appears to progress like a series of challenges. I realize that that upset some people but personally that'd be right up my alley if I ever pick up a 360 again and can get my friends to get the game.

One thing from the looks of it that People Can Fly did with the game was try to pack as much action and enemies onto the field of battle and really make the game challenging. That's what I'd want out of a Gears game, after the action and excitement of Horde mode in Gears 2 I really found no satisfaction in playing the Gears of War campaigns after that, I found the campaigns too easy and more story driven and not as gameplay driven, and playing in co-op just made things too easy IMO. I like the gritty moments Gears 2 Horde where cutting down in coming enemies is crucial not to get overrun, and having to find the perfect point to hold the line. In campaign I found that players are often in competition to kill to easily and everyone just rushes the campaign.

So, if I want anything in a Gears campaign, I want greater challenge and a need in co-op for cooperation. I like the idea of making the game more challenging to increase the number of enemies to overwhelm the player, rather than the cheap and lazy difficulty options that simply increase enemy damage output and health while decreasing player health and damage output.

#7 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

It's the only successful arena shooter in years. Quake 4 and UT 3 flopped.

#8 Edited by handssss (1907 posts) -
  • all gametypes people actually played need to come back. (includes horde mode and maybe beast mode)
  • TDM goes back to 15 lives per team instead of just requiring both teams to reach a set number of kills
  • controls need to revert to gears 1-3 style.
  • this also means people need to spawn with their choice of rifle, the gnasher, a pistol, and smoke grenades. exactly like 1-3 and NOT like Judgment.
  • DON'T split playlists up too many times (ranked and unranked is fine and just privately sort those who have map packs. Judgment colossally fucked up with too many map packs.)
  • no on disc dlc (especially for weapon and armor skins if they return. that shit needs to be completely unlockable through in-game achievement, not randomized reward boxes)
  • NO humans vs humans.
  • Need at least 12 competitive MP maps AT LAUNCH. Judgment had like 4 (technically 8, but 4 were only for 1 special gametype)
  • DBNO needs to be back across the board
  • No retro, sawed off, or overpowered rifles
  • Boomshot needs 2 shots
  • SYMMETRICAL MAPS
  • Dedicated Servers
  • make the gnasher work, but don't give it ridiculous range
  • no healing grenades.
  • no concussion grenades
  • campaign like 1-3 with 4 player co-op. MAYBE include modifiers like declassified did (but need to have far more variation)
  • no stopping power
  • let dead players on both teams (in non-respawn gametypes) talk to each other, not to their own teammates.
  • disable party chat in MP matches
  • consult the goddamn fanbase instead of doing other dumb shit to casualize the franchise in a sad, pathetic attempt to lure in COD players.

Can probably think of plenty of more things later, but seriously just go to the suggestion board on wherever the hell the new official forum is. Most of those people know what this new dev needs to do because they tried to guide Epic every time the company fucked up (which happened a lot since Gears 2 released)

#9 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@system-reboot said:

Gears is arena shooter? thats new to me

#10 Posted by handssss (1907 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

@Cranler said:

@system-reboot said:

Gears is arena shooter? thats new to me

it has the spirit of one, but it's unique. power weapons on map and speed and intensity. that's the thing. It was all a mistake. Epic tried too hard for too long to force players to play slower like they have to in campaign mode when really MP is about running all over the map, shotgun battles, and power weapon control. Judgment saw Epic **** up the balance of maps and ruin other various things. It was fast-paced, but it was no longer Gears and it just wasn't fun.

#11 Edited by R4gn4r0k (26934 posts) -

Change the name, change the gameplay entirely.... basically:

@lostrib said:

#12 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) -

I'm more of a guy who favours true skill over twitch reactions in MP games.

#13 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

#14 Posted by navyguy21 (14698 posts) -

Better story

Better characters

Better voice acting

More scripted events

Raid some tombs

#15 Posted by getyeryayasout (11449 posts) -

Chainsaw with a gun on the end.

#16 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14291 posts) -

@lostrib said:

#17 Edited by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

I overdosed Gears 1 and since Gears 2 its only been fuckload of disappointment. That is years of disappointment now they've lost me forever. Don't think ever will make me care about Gears again, they shouldn't have messedup with gears 2 as much as they did.

#18 Edited by OhSnapitz (19260 posts) -

Gears of War has run it's course. I loved the series before pt 3 and had no interest in any installments thereafter. Never played Judgement.. and never intend on playing.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
#19 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

it was only ever relevant because of 3 factors

graphics - which have now been bettered by other franchises

cover mechanics - which some other franchises do just as well now

multiplayer -unparalleled experience, nothing like gears of war

they need to take the multiplayer back to what it was in gears 1/3, judgement is shit

#20 Posted by hiphops_savior (8430 posts) -

In terms of settings, deconstruct the entire universe. Question the laws of the Gears universe. Question and test, even better, ridicule the bro dude culture.

#21 Posted by freedomfreak (49790 posts) -

Graphics.

Seems to work for Uncharted.

#22 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Graphics.

Seems to work for Uncharted.

yeah just watch all those awesome high rated games crytek produces.... oh wait

maybe naughty dogs actually know how to make games.

#23 Posted by Alcapello (1396 posts) -

Another try.

Maybe enough exposure will do.

#24 Posted by freedomfreak (49790 posts) -
@Krelian-co said:

That's Crytek being an incompetent studio. I never claimed ND was incompetent, but you try and deny that people won't lose their shit when they see the next shiny game popping up.

I also like how what you said has nothing to do with my post. We're talking about pushing IPs for another installment. Not the umpteenth pretty Crytek game.

#25 Edited by pelvist (6647 posts) -

Well all they need do to bring it back into the spotlight is re-release the original 360 games in HD for the One and say the magic word "exclusive!" and it will suddenly be one of the best game announcements of 2014. As a result GeOW will be relevant again and they can then announce the *next gen* GeOW give it the Titanfall hype and sell a couple of million copies. XBoners will say its amazing because its not on PS4 and GeOW is back for this console cycle.

#26 Edited by Macutchi (5657 posts) -

loved 1-3 but thought the quality fell off a cliff with judgement.

new ip > force another instalment. they should learn from judgement. wasn't the same without marcus

#27 Posted by nethernova (5460 posts) -

It handles splitscreen co-op so perfectly. It's a shame that Gears 3 sucked. I'd probably give it another chance though.

#28 Posted by sts106mat (24167 posts) -

@nethernova said:

It handles splitscreen co-op so perfectly. It's a shame that Gears 3 sucked. I'd probably give it another chance though.

Gears 3 was superb, easily the best in the series IMO.

Judgement shouldn't have been given the green light.

I am not sure what they can do with the IP now.

sometimes enough is enough.

#29 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Do you know as I typed this, I spotted a bargain Gears of War 2 copy in very good condition for 6 bucks (along with shipping) and couldn't help but buy it?

You don't already own Gears 2?

As for Gears 4, it needs to me more open world, better tactics, better weapons (with upgrades), some new gameplay, an epic story, a unique multiplayer mode and a longer single player campaign.

#30 Posted by Jebus213 (10011 posts) -

Probably one of the most overrated games I've ever seen.

Let it stay dead.

#31 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

You don't already own Gears 2?

As for Gears 4, it needs to me more open world, better tactics, better weapons (with upgrades), some new gameplay, an epic story, a unique multiplayer mode and a longer single player campaign.

I owned Gears 2 in the past but I got rid of it. Same for Gears 3 which I traded in.

@sts106mat said:

@nethernova said:

Gears 3 was superb, easily the best in the series IMO.

Judgement shouldn't have been given the green light.

I am not sure what they can do with the IP now.

sometimes enough is enough.

I agree that Gears 3 was superb and had most fleshed-out campaign out of the three.

#32 Posted by MonsieurX (36744 posts) -

More broguns

#33 Posted by VERTIGO47 (6919 posts) -

1st and 4th Choice

#34 Posted by cainetao11 (32432 posts) -

Interested to see what they do with it. I liked Judgement albeit a drop from the originals. It was like Arkham Origins imo. Fun, good game. No where near great though. Gears 3 was awesome, but it still needs to evolve from there. If I knew the answers I might be making games at a high industry level rather than arm chair QBing with people on forums.

#35 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:
@Krelian-co said:

That's Crytek being an incompetent studio. I never claimed ND was incompetent, but you try and deny that people won't lose their shit when they see the next shiny game popping up.

I also like how what you said has nothing to do with my post. We're talking about pushing IPs for another installment. Not the umpteenth pretty Crytek game.

Well we already saw that with the UC4 trailer

#36 Posted by mems_1224 (56914 posts) -

I hope nothing will because other than 3 those games suck

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#37 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

I think the series has pretty much run it's course.

I'd like to see the focus on something new instead.

#38 Edited by blackace (23576 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

We don't need anymore Dark Souls, FF, Uncharted, Halo, GT, Mario, Zelda or Forza games either, they are all coming. lol!!

@system-reboot said:

Like your comments.

#39 Posted by uninspiredcup (24911 posts) -

Calling it MDK and making it good?

#40 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I think the series has pretty much run it's course.

I'd like to see the focus on something new instead.

Tell that to Polyphony Digital and Kojima Studios. Please... lol!!

#41 Posted by PyratRum (778 posts) -

By pretending Judgement didn't happen and go back to Gears 3, the peak of the series.

#42 Posted by thehig1 (6180 posts) -

@lostrib said:

this!!!

Gears has served its purpose lets move on

#43 Posted by PyratRum (778 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

Along with Call of Duty, it's arguably the most influential franchise during of the 7th generation.

#44 Edited by blackace (23576 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

By pretending Judgement didn't happen and go back to Gears 3, the peak of the series.

Judgement was developed by "People Can Fly" and not Epic. Cliffy B. had no involvment in GoW: Judgement and you can easily tell when you play it.

#45 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

@system-reboot said:

Along with Call of Duty, it's arguably the most influential franchise during of the 7th generation.

in a bad way

#46 Posted by intotheminx (2579 posts) -

I had a blast with the GoW games, but it started slipping during the 3rd installment. The only way to save the franchise is to get the OG team back, but that isn't going to happen.

#47 Posted by foxhound_fox (96695 posts) -

Locust campaign would have me buying it. Since the first game I thought the human side was lame and they technically are the invading alien force.

That and some more variety in the MP (i.e. More than just team deathmatch/cover shooting).

#48 Edited by Speak_Low (2248 posts) -

Why are there Sheep in here? They were laughing and agreeing with Miyamoto that the industry has too many shooters and "dudebros" crap and now they say they might play Gears 4 (which means they played the entire trilogy already AND probably Judgment). So they hate shooters but plays lots of them every year. LOL

And I hope Black Tusk Studios just completely forgets about Gears of War: Judgment. The maps, the movements and some of the changed rules in MP all felt off, and the SP campaign was not that interesting. I know that Epic actually did work on the MP portion (the game wasn't all done by People Can Fly), but you can tell they were trying to cater to a new COD audience by emphasizing high kills/high spawning rates and less teamwork and strategy (and those tense fights to secure areas and Power weapons and those cool "Last-Man Standing moments" we used to love were gone). And the zany MP customization and unlocks went too far. Everyone was glowing neon guns and outfits. Made matches seem like a joke or that it was Halloween time.

It's a good thing lead director Rod Fergusson is back in charge of Gears, and he even mentioned recently the importance of retaining a majority of the best elements from previous games. He didn't outright say it, but it sounded like he knew that Judgment was a huge fan disappointment and went too far from what we loved about Gears of War. Experimentation is okay but you can't go too far, negligently "diluting" the core qualities that made the trilogy (both SP and MP) so popular. He said he was going to be more careful in keeping that delicate balance and listening to the communities.

For Gears 4 and beyond, they could probably keep that over-the-top Michael Bay-esque "summertime rollercoaster ride" as Cliffy B described these games, but they could also deepen the story a bit more. There were certain moments in Gears 2 and 3 that could almost be called surprisingly emotional for this type of game. It doesn't have to be a weepy tearjerker but if they can layer in some more emotion and a bit more depth, Gears 4 would satisfy both the casual and diehard camps. There would be enough fun with some actual substance, a long-lasting MP segment and enough anticipation built up for a Gears 5. $60 well spent and sales would be excellent again.

Let's hope they hit the right marks and the Gears of War series has continued life over at Black Tusk Studios and doesn't just become a pale shadow of Epic Games' original work. For some of the flaws in parts of Gears 2 and 3, it was still a very satisfying and well-made trilogy.

#49 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) -

I think narratively they could learn a lot from Yager Entertainment and Spec Ops: The Line. I think that creative usage of environment (such as using sand to bury your enemies, etc., etc.) both for combat purposes as well as hindrance for players to navigate through, as well as random weather events changing the game flow dramatically could be good inclusions.

#50 Edited by R3FURBISHED (12351 posts) -

Gears of War has always had sublime gameplay and mechanisms (a big reason why all TPS games emulated Gears gameplay) so I think if they add a compelling narrative and well told story -- that would easily make the next Gears something special.

___

How about this: A small group of COG soldiers are tasked in the evacuation of citizens of Sera from "City X". You explore much larger environments (possibly open world or an environment akin to Halo 3: ODST) in an attempt to locate groups of survivors who are being forced to relocate their hiding spots due to E-Holes the Locust are creating around the city.

Have a day/night cycle (in order to incorporate Locust such as the Kryll). The powerful story and compelling narrative can come from exploring the city and seeing the pain and destruction the Locust have caused to the formerly peaceful city and it inhabitants.