What console launch do you feel had the biggest excitement around it?

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 5974 Posts

Let's face it next gen consoles feel super anticlimactic due to the state of the world and a slow news drip. But what console do you remember having alot of buzz and excitement around it's launch?

For me I'm going to say the original Playstation. I remember reading my old gaming mags and seeing all the adverts and commercials for it. Nobody really knew if Sony could pull it off they where a unknown at that time in the console market which seems crazy now.

I also remember being hyped for a arcade perfect port of Mortal Kombat 3 it was not though but it was a huge step up from the 16 bit consoles especially the audio but loading times sucked.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 32120 Posts

I’d probably say the Wii felt like it had the most hype behind its launch.

The PlayStation 2 second and the 360 third.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 3373 Posts

Playstation 1. I was a lot younger and I remember my mom taking me to the store on launch day to grab one. Before launch I remember reading so many articles in magazines which discussed the advancements the console was making. I was also hyped for the 360. I camped out in the freezing cold to get that console. I was given a number while standing in line. Since then, I haven't been nearly as hyped for a console.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 5823 Posts

I’ve lined up for 2 consoles in my life. Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I’d go with the Xbox One with maybe the SNES second. The X1 had a great smooth launch with plenty to play and explore. The SNES has one of the best platformers in gaming history - but we didn’t know that at the time. It also launched Pilot Wings which was depressing.

I also enjoyed the Saturn launch. Daytona USA got a lot of play from me and Panzer Dragoon was fun.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 4570 Posts

Wii launch for sure

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#6  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 42983 Posts

Gamecube and Dreamcast were the most exciting at launch. Everything else pales in comparison for me.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 2

#7 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 4534 Posts

Xbox 360 in my opinion.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 25494 Posts

The threat of the PS2 being released killed the Dreamcast.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blamix
Member since 2006 • 1062 Posts

I only witnessed the PS4/XB1 and the Switch.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 9172 Posts

The PS2 release was quite an event.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 634 Posts

X360 launch was pretty hype, back when MS knew how to market their consoles. There were numerous hands on and full game demos running on actual hardware. Seeing Gears of War, Kameo, and Perfect Dark Zero really felt next gen. Now it seems we will have to wait until launch of SX to see games running on actual XSX that isn't labeled PC footage.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4020 Posts

I say Wii. Seemed like everyone and their monkey's uncle's former roommate's mechanic were talking about that thing. Even my grandma wanted to try it.

sleepnsurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sleepnsurf
Member since 2009 • 3544 Posts

Pretty simple guys, the intro to HD with call of duty 2 and the 360. Seeing it in Walmart sold me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 41780 Posts

Playstation 1 felt like a revolution in the medium.

Which it was.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 37407 Posts

If a Tickle-Me Elmo had a love child with a Furby, it would have been a Wii.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 3581 Posts

Most likely the 360.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Ant_17  Online
Member since 2005 • 13527 Posts

The ps2 cause it killed the dreamcast.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#19  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 602 Posts

I can’t narrow it down either Sega Genesis, Turbo Graphics 16, Neo Geo or PS2.

Hell, I’ll go with PS2 due to commercial success. Bundling SSX with PS2 at launch was also a genius idea.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 16005 Posts

Didnot liked any console ever since sega genesis.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 41780 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Very wise my freind, you got it when it peaked.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 16005 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Very wise my freind, you got it when it peaked.

when PS1 released it was the time when we reach 3D leap but the camera and controls were bad even for its time and PC was ahead of its time.

PS2 same problem. by the time PS3/360 generation arrive. consoles become watered down PC but they have to become dumbed down PC in order to camera and controls work better. now no point of owning a consoles at all.

sega genesis were simple plug and play console with no loading screen.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 35180 Posts

Nintendo 64 kid

Loading Video...

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 4459 Posts

Dreamcast never forget the day i finally got the chance to play sonic adventure and ready 2 rumble probably the biggest jump in graphics I've ever seen coming from ps1 and n64.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 36763 Posts

Genesis

3DO

Dreamcast

OG Xbox

PS2

SuperMighty XSX MonsterBox. :P

Magnum3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26 Magnum3000
Member since 2020 • 1240 Posts

Xbox 360. Remember Lindsay Lohan enjoying herself at Gears of War launch party.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 7922 Posts

Definitely the original PS. I remember being really excited for the Saturn before they both launched and was 100% going to buy one because of the absolute satisfaction I got from the Master System, Megadrive (best console ever) and MegaCD. But as the release drew closer the amount of hype behind the PS1 was too much to ignore and I was 50/50 when they released. I ended up having to wait 6 months after their release before I could get one and by then hardly anyone talked about the Saturn, it was practically ALL about the PS1.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

#28  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14974 Posts

Definitely the Wii, which had a ton of hype over its motion controls, which were touted to be revolutionary. The Wii sold at a record pace, but the motion control revolution ultimately failed. Although it did eventually pave the way for VR motion controls this gen.

Other than that, every PlayStation home console has had a ton of hype surrounding its launch, thanks to Sony's well-oiled marketing machine. Which includes misleading players with obvious exaggerations, e.g. PS1 pushing over 1 million polygons/sec, PS2 pushing over 70 million polygons/sec, PS2's Emotion Engine and PS3's Cell having the power of a supercomputer, etc. They've also marketed their consoles as media players, i.e. the PS1 as a CD player, PS2 as a DVD player, and PS3 as a Blu-ray player. Then there's the way they under-cut competitors, like the "299" moment that killed the Saturn at E3 1995 and the "399" moment that wrecked Xbone at E3 2013. And finally, "4 the Players" was an ingenious marketing campaign that made the PS4 look good and Xbone look bad.

Honourable mention to the Dreamcast. On the hardware side, it was the first time that a home console was able to pull off 3D graphics that rival the arcades, since it shared the same hardware as the Sega Naomi arcade system. And on the software side, it had the most high-quality games in any console's first year. But ultimately, the Dreamcast failed, thanks to the hype surrounding the PS2.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jag85

@pelvist said:

Definitely the original PS. I remember being really excited for the Saturn before they both launched and was 100% going to buy one because of the absolute satisfaction I got from the Master System, Megadrive (best console ever) and MegaCD. But as the release drew closer the amount of hype behind the PS1 was too much to ignore and I was 50/50 when they released. I ended up having to wait 6 months after their release before I could get one and by then hardly anyone talked about the Saturn, it was practically ALL about the PS1.

It's somewhat similar for me. I was a big fan of the Master System and Mega Drive (didn't really care for the Sega CD), so I was excited about the Saturn initially. But it was too expensive at launch, so I waited a year for the price to go down. But by then, the Saturn was dead in the water and the PS1 was the king, so I ended up abandoning Sega and getting the PS1 instead, becoming a Sony fanboy. Sega shot themselves in the foot by making the Saturn so expensive at launch. It wasn't until I got a Dreamcast, after it died out and was available for cheap on the second-hand market, that I became a Sega fan again.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 1035 Posts

I think this is an odd question to try to answer, because excitement doesn't necessarily mean a better console or a better bargain. Fanboys are rabid AF and beyond reason, and get excited, or not over some of the dumbest shit.

The biggest excitement I've actually had for a video game console was sitting in a classroom in 6th grade and seeing the very first television commercial for Nintendo 64. Like holy shit, panning that camera around a 3D Mario and the water like ripple when he jumps into a picture compared to the 2D stuff before was the biggest leap in video game history.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 1035 Posts
@Jag85 said:
@pelvist said:

It's somewhat similar for me. I was a big fan of the Master System and Mega Drive (didn't really care for the Sega CD), so I was excited about the Saturn initially. But it was too expensive at launch, so I waited a year for the price to go down. But by then, the Saturn was dead in the water and the PS1 was the king, so I ended up abandoning Sega and getting the PS1 instead, becoming a Sony fanboy. Sega shot themselves in the foot by making the Saturn so expensive at launch. It wasn't until I got a Dreamcast, after it died out and was available for cheap on the second-hand market, that I became a Sega fan again.

Similarly, I didn't buy a Sega Saturn because by time my family had the money to, the PS1 was already out and was already the more "adult" gaming console when compared to Nintendo, and Sega failed to do much advertising of the system at all. I cannot remember seeing a single commercial for the console, I barely even knew it existed and it just didn't have any exclusives to care about either. I think at that time a lot of us went with the PS1, and by time the Dreamcast came out, it was over, we weren't coming back. DC was a great system, but as I always say, the Saturn killed it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jag85

@eoten said:
@Jag85 said:
@pelvist said:

Similarly, I didn't buy a Sega Saturn because by time my family had the money to, the PS1 was already out and was already the more "adult" gaming console when compared to Nintendo, and Sega failed to do much advertising of the system at all. I cannot remember seeing a single commercial for the console, I barely even knew it existed and it just didn't have any exclusives to care about either. I think at that time a lot of us went with the PS1, and by time the Dreamcast came out, it was over, we weren't coming back. DC was a great system, but as I always say, the Saturn killed it.

The Saturn's exclusives initially didn't grab my attention either, apart from Virtua Fighter and Panzer Dragoon. A big reason was because Sega abandoned most of their established IPs from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras when the Saturn launched. There was no Sonic, Alex Kidd, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, OutRun, Space Harrier, After Burner, Phantasy Star, etc. Sega abandoned their previous established IPs that most Sega fans were familiar with, but instead introduced new IPs that most Sega fans were not familiar with. Which is a shame, because the Saturn actually did end up having a great library, but most of it was exclusive to Japan.