What company/platform has shown the most creativity (in your opinion)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tarzanell
Member since 2006 • 1503 Posts

What do you guys think? Over the years, standards have been set, milked, and invented, and re-invented...but who do you think has shown the most unadulterated creativity of all? Anything from gameplay to presentation is taken into consideration, and although it's of course entirely subjective, I'd be interested to see your opinions.

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts
nintendo but recently not much.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Creativity in hardware, Nintendo.

Creativity in software, Sony, with Microsoft trying hard to make up the difference.

astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 astiop
Member since 2005 • 3582 Posts
Nintendo, but that doesn't mean I like what they come up with :/
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts

An italian plumber who has to save a princess by defeating a giant evil turtle and jumping on mushrooms and smaller turtles. Nintendo, duh. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Nintendo.
MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts
I terms of systems, Nintendo made a lot of stuff that's mainstream. Analog, rumble, more than two player support just to name a few. Hell, gaming is mainstream because of Nintendo.
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
Nintendo
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
man this question is unfair.
tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tarzanell
Member since 2006 • 1503 Posts
Interesting! I put in a vote for Nintendo, myself....but thinking about it, Sega's Dreamcast showcased some astounding ideas. Rez's beat-focused shooting and Shenmue's interactive movie style are a couple of examples of a seriously groundbreaking system.
Stabby2486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Stabby2486
Member since 2006 • 6688 Posts
Atlus for Trauma Center.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
Nintendo, but not a whole lot in recent years.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SpruceCaboose

The Dreamcast was innovative. The VMU was a great idea, and the system was quite good.

Too bad Sega had burned so many bridges with the Saturn that no developers wanted to make anything for the Dreamcast...

Sooshy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Sooshy
Member since 2007 • 1723 Posts
If you're talking ever, than Sega. Right now, Nintendo.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

The Dreamcast was innovative. The VMU was a great idea, and the system was quite good.

Too bad Sega had burned so many bridges with the Saturn that no developers wanted to make anything for the Dreamcast...

SpruceCaboose
remember the whole chao VMU thing from Sonic adventure. Good times man.
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

I think Nintendo have easily shown the most creativity of the three companies. Sure, Sony has LittleBigPlanet, but they only gained that by paying the developer, Media Molecule, for their work.. Nintendo however have come up with innovative hardware designs without any outsider help, like the Wiimote and Wii Fit balance board, and are also working towards more accessible games. "Casual-ising" in some people's eyes, but I think stuff like Brain Training, Wii Fit and Nintendogs is creative.

Infamously

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Infamously
Member since 2007 • 168 Posts
Sony with Home and LBP!
king_bobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 king_bobo
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts
Probably Nintendo, but the games haven't all been that creative...
By which I mean they've been kind of samey...
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpruceCaboose

I think Nintendo have easily shown the most creativity of the three companies. Sure, Sony has LittleBigPlanet, but they only gained that by paying the developer, Media Molecule, for their work.. Nintendo however have come up with innovative hardware designs without any outsider help, like the Wiimote and Wii Fit balance board, and are also working towards more accessible games. "Casual-ising" in some people's eyes, but I think stuff like Brain Training, Wii Fit and Nintendogs is creative.

-Spock-

I went system as a whole, not just things that the Big 3 are personally responsible for. Nintendo makes innovative hardware, but Sony has always been more friendly to developers trying new things on their systems, and they actively try to get diverse software out to the masses, a la Guitar Hero, Katamari, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Jaks, Metal Gear, etc and so on and so forth.

And it appears that Microsoft is trying to follow that lead by getting developers support to make games from all different genres, with games like Katamari and Guitar Hero making it to the 360, Mass Effect and Fable, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonnata, and Lost Odyssey, Halo 3 and Gears of War, Viva Pinata and XBLA, and Bioshock...etc.

kai5o4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kai5o4
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts
nintendo of course!!!! They innovated the way we all think about games and the way some of us play it. You can hate the Wii for all I care, but at least they tried to change things so that maybe developers could actually have some fun making games. I always hear how developers talk about how excited they are to develope games for the Wii. Wii makes the developers think and that is good to me. They also came out with Nintendogs and the DS. If those aren't innovating then I don't know what is!!!!
sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sparkypants
Member since 2007 • 2609 Posts
Im probably gonna get flamed for this but I feel Sony is the most creative. Yes Nintendo has the controller but Sony has these really intersting and new games. Withgames like HOME(ok not a game but instead a giant MMO universe), little big planet, and EYE OF JUDGMENT its hard to say Sony is not creative....but of course everyones gonna say Nintendo :(
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Spock-
[QUOTE="-Spock-"]

SpruceCaboose

I went system as a whole, not just things that the Big 3 are personally responsible for. Nintendo makes innovative hardware, but Sony has always been more friendly to developers trying new things on their systems, and they actively try to get diverse software out to the masses, a la Guitar Hero, Katamari, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Jaks, Metal Gear, etc and so on and so forth.

And it appears that Microsoft is trying to follow that lead by getting developers support to make games from all different genres, with games like Katamari and Guitar Hero making it to the 360, Mass Effect and Fable, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonnata, and Lost Odyssey, Halo 3 and Gears of War, Viva Pinata and XBLA, and Bioshock...etc.

Attracting creative developers =/= being creative. Example: just because I buy the paintings doesn't mean I actually painted them. A lot of what Nintendo do is in-house, first-party. Understand?

sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sparkypants
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="-Spock-"]

-Spock-

Attracting creative developers =/= being creative. Example: just because I buy the paintings doesn't mean I actually painted them. A lot of what Nintendo do is in-house, first-party. Understand?

so Im guessing you never played Shadow of Colossus. That WAS made by Sony and its one of the most creative games Iv ever played

Izzy12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Izzy12345
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts

I say both Nintendo and Sony.

Nintendo: Well, it's pretty simple to see that with the Wii, for example. Alot of people make fun of it and dismiss it as a party game console, however, they fail to see that in going with solid gameplay rather than full super HDthey made a smash hit just look at the money they are raking in as a case in point. Also they constantly put out solid titles on all they're platforms and while some people may say that Mario, Pokemon, Metroid, etc... are repetitive and the same you can say that of many franchises however the fact that they have been around and continue to be refreshed and improved rather than just stagnate relly shows Nintendo's creativity.

Sony: The hardware is impressive and its potential is there as indictated by Sony and many other devs. However its creativity comes from their willingness to try and give new franchises and experiences a chance. An example of this is a recent interview with the PSN America Director who chooses the content for PSN America and he said that he likes to choose new and cretive games from indie studios ratherthanjust updates of old arcade games.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

-Spock-

I understand your point, but I have read many a developer comment about how Nintendo is too strict on what can and cannot be done on their system, and what features a game can and cannot have. They even refused to let some 3rd party developers do online play on the Wii so far this generation.

And Sony has many 1st party creativity and diverity.

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Spock-
so Im guessing you never played Shadow of Colossus. That WAS made by Sony and its one of the most creative games Iv ever playedsparkypants

I own it. As a whole though, I would still say that Nintendo do much more creative first-party stuff.

sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sparkypants
[QUOTE="sparkypants"]so Im guessing you never played Shadow of Colossus. That WAS made by Sony and its one of the most creative games Iv ever played-Spock-

I own it. As a whole though, I would still say that Nintendo do much more creative first-party stuff.

sure but as a whole Sony has more creative 3rd AND first party games :D

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts

Nintnedo

manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts

An italian plumber who has to save a princess by defeating a giant evil turtle and jumping on mushrooms and smaller turtles. Nintendo, duh. :P

sexy_chimp

Well when you put it like that the concept just doesn't sound realistic.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="sparkypants"]so Im guessing you never played Shadow of Colossus. That WAS made by Sony and its one of the most creative games Iv ever played-Spock-

In the past, I would have agreed. However, lately, Nintendo is churning out more and more of the same. Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Soccer, etc, sequel after sequel to all the franchises, mini-game collections galore, so many different Nintendogs I cannot count them.

I would say Nintendo needs to do more to make "new" games, but this strategy of give them more of the same seems to work for them, so maybe they are on to something.

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Spock-
I understand your point, but I have read many a developer comment about how Nintendo is too strict on what can and cannot be done on their system, and what features a game can and cannot have. They even refused to let some3rd party developers do online play on the Wii so far this generation.

And Sony has many 1st party creativity and diverity. SpruceCaboose

Isn't that because the Wii online component is, quite frankly, a joke? Nintendo can pretend all they like, but the online matchmaking interface is dreadful and still needs a lot of work. Of course they wouldn't allow some third-party developers to have online play: it's just not ready yet. As for Sony having much first-party creativity and diversity, I agree, but as a whole I think Nintendo just does more.

snorlaxmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 snorlaxmaster
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts

Creativity in software, Sony, with Microsoft trying hard to make up the difference.

SpruceCaboose
I agree. But i think the Dreamcast should be on that list. It really made a whole new dimension to gaming. ;)
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Spock-
[QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="sparkypants"]so Im guessing you never played Shadow of Colossus. That WAS made by Sony and its one of the most creative games Iv ever playedsparkypants

sure but as a whole Sony has more creative 3rd AND first party games :D

Of course, I can't argue that Sony have the much better third-party support... it's the reason why I bought a PS3 over the competition. Games like MGS4, White Knight Story and LittleBigPlanet are very creative. That third-party support -- as a whole, and when combined with Sony's first-party -- is undoubtedly more innovative than just Nintendo on their own. But the topic was about choosing only one first-party, so i'd still have to stick by my decision that Nintendo are the best in their league.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

snorlaxmaster

I agree. But i think the Dreamcast should be on that list. It really made a whole new dimension to gaming. ;)

Sega is, for better or worse, dead in the console market. So I no longer include them in a discussion, unless its a discussion about retro gaming.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

snorlaxmaster

Hardware.... sure, Nintendo.

But software for Sony? Absolutely not. That should go to Microsoft for Xbox Live alone. The dashboard is a first on consoles. Media streaming, messaging, achievements, video-on-demand.... they've practically redefined what it means to be online with a console.

omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts

Nintendo obviously...

But chocolate coverd bacon doesn't necsessarily have too taste good just because its new..

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -Spock-
[QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="sparkypants"]so Im guessing you never played Shadow of Colossus. That WAS made by Sony and its one of the most creative games Iv ever playedSpruceCaboose

In the past, I would have agreed. However, lately, Nintendo is churning out more and more of the same. Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Soccer, etc, sequel after sequel to all the franchises, mini-game collections galore, so many different Nintendogs I cannot count them.

I would say Nintendo needs to do more to make "new" games, but this strategy of give them more of the same seems to work for them, so maybe they are on to something.

All companies do this to keep their business alive. When you create a new IP, you have good foundations on which to stretch it out and make it an established franchise. Make no mistake, Nintendo have definitely created the new stuff like Brain Training, Wii Fit, Nintendogs, Pikmin etc. But it's only natural to make sequels and expansions so that they gain more money to make more new IPs..

omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts

Well... I suppose more creativity has gone into the PC as a whole.... lol...

But I don't really count that.. Because thats so much overkill vs the other 3 that it isn't even fun...

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="sparkypants"]so Im guessing you never played Shadow of Colossus. That WAS made by Sony and its one of the most creative games Iv ever played-Spock-

All companies do this to keep their business alive. When you create a new IP, you have good foundations on which to stretch it out and make it an established franchise. Make no mistake, Nintendo have definitely created the new stuff like Brain Training, Wii Fit, Nintendogs, Pikmin etc. But it's only natural to make sequels and expansions so that they gain more money to make more new IPs..

See, I refuse to c1assify activities like Brain Training, Wii Fit, and Nintendogs as "games". I would like them to make more IPs like Pikmin. I know that those others sell well, but I don't see them as games, and if that is the path gaming goes down, gaming will be dead to me.

gmw1082

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gmw1082
Member since 2003 • 673 Posts

I have to go with Nintendo on this one. They revitalized console gaming with the NES and dominated hand-held gaming with the Gameboy. For better or worse they have have tried to forge their own path in the gaming industry with innovative hardware. Virtual boy was a big failure but the DS and Wii are very successful so far.
Paul_Phoenicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Paul_Phoenicks
Member since 2002 • 1015 Posts
[QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="sparkypants"]so Im guessing you never played Shadow of Colossus. That WAS made by Sony and its one of the most creative games Iv ever playedSpruceCaboose

See, I refuse to c1assify activities like Brain Training, Wii Fit, and Nintendogs as "games". I would like them to make more IPs like Pikmin. I know that those others sell well, but I don't see them as games, and if that is the path gaming goes down, gaming will be dead to me.

Then you'd better find a new hobby. There's no question that Nintendo is the correct answer.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SpruceCaboose

Then you'd better find a new hobby. There's no question that Nintendo is the correct answer.Paul_Phoenicks

There is no correct answer to an opinion question. And you mean to tell me that if the industry moved behind things like Brain Training and Wii Fit as the standard "game", you would still play "games"?

I play games to be taken to a different world, to be presented with problems and work out solutions inside of a fantasy world. I don't game to take care of a pet, to workout, or to study. Those are things that I do in the real world.

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
nintendo. that's a no brainer. anyone who sais otherwise hasn't played nes