What classic/older games, even if you play today, are still good?

• 59 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

I would say some games from the PS2 era still hold up. Shadow of the Colossus is one. Amazes me how 20 years later this game still offers a unique gameplay experience and story. Another game that comes to mind is Viewtiful Joe. Played some earlier this year and it's still fun. How about you, SW? What classic/older games, even if you play today, are still good?

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8848 Posts

Skyrim, Halo, most RTSs, Dragon Age Origins.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50547 Posts

Turn based Final Fantasy games and souls games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

A whole hell of a lot. I can easily go back and play some NES games and they’re still plenty good.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I would say some games from the PS2 era still hold up. Shadow of the Colossus is one. Amazes me how 20 years later this game still offers a unique gameplay experience and story. Another game that comes to mind is Viewtiful Joe. Played some earlier this year and it's still fun. How about you, SW? What classic/older games, even if you play today, are still good?

• SSX tricky and SSX 3
  • Burnout Takedown and Revenge
  • Max Payne 2 PC version
  • Def Jam Fight for NY
  • Some WWE games like No Mercy, HCTP, SVR
  • Medal of Honor Allied Assault especially the MP that's where the real skill is at.
  • Tony Hawk 2, 3 4, underground

There's a ton more.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

As always, too many to list. I'll try to stick mostly with 90s games, nothing past 2005.

-

DOOM 1 n 2

Mario platformers in general. SMB1, SMB3, SMW, Yoshis Island, SM64, SMS

Streets of Rage series

Sonic 3 & K

Quake series

Unreal Tournament series

Tribes

Super Metroid, Fusion, Prime 1 n 2

MGS 1, 2 n 3

Thief TDP

Chaos Theory

DMC3

NGB

Starcraft

Gunstar Heroes.

Contra, Super C, Hard Corps, Alien Wars

Street Fighters 2, 3, and Alpha (various versions)

Tekken series

King of Fighters series

Zelda 1, A Link to the Past

Punchout

Phantasy Star 4

Chrono Trigger

Chrono Cross

Terranigma

Final Fantasies 4, 6, 7, 9, Tactics, 10

Super Mario RPG

Castlevanias 1, 3, 4, Symphony of the Night, Bloodlines, Lament of Innosence

Shinobi III

Mega Man and X series.

Resident Evil series

Do Don Pachi

-

Aaaaand that doesn't even begin to cover it.

@Archangel3371 said:

A whole hell of a lot. I can easily go back and play some NES games and they’re still plenty good.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Ace Combat 5 for sure.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AcidTango  Online
Member since 2013 • 3217 Posts

So many old school games are still amazing to play.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: It’s just too much indeed. 😅

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3047 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Haha, I feel like we just did this ☺️ You should remake this and ask what old games don't hold up.

I still love:

Halo CE LANs

StarCraft

Diablo 2

Super Mario World

Super Metroid

LttP

Alone in the Dark

Galaga

Need For Speed Underground

Etc

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Most old 2d games hold up. It's mainly 3d ps1 games from before the analog sticks that don't hold up that well. Early 3d games can be painful to play at times these days, but I still go play Mario 3, Zelda, Super Metroid, Golden Sun 1 and 2, and many more with no problems at all.

Man i miss Golden Sun. Such a great jrpg.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

This game right here. Getting a 1 credit complete, or even more extreme -- a no-miss run, is true test for any gamer that overshadows the challenges of many modern games. A gem from the PS2 that stands strong today, and one of the many reasons it really was the greatest era.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 2 popped in my head.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

Good games don't age. Whether it is Shadow of the Colossus, Super Mario 64, StarCraft or the original Halo trilogy.

If a game has aged, it probably is a sign the game wasnt that good in the first place (see Uncharted).

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15986 Posts

Geometry Wars. It's a shoot 'em up in which you pilot a small space ship and you shoot various shapes that come at you. It'll never get old.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

lol, what? All the good ones. Way too many to list.

What do you mean "even if you play today"? Would they be worse if you still played them today? I play some of them even today, and yeah. Still good.

Weird thread.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

Interesting to see this topic.

I just recently completed a play through of Ravenloft: Strahd’s Possession and put up a playlist on YouTube of the story and NPC highlights. Took me about 40 hours to complete.

I just started Ravenloft: Stone Prophet and I’m doing the same. I may do Menzoberranzan after that.

All three games are great, and you can see how SSI got better and improved their new 3D engine with each game and made better use of the 2nd Edition D&D Ruleset. The Ravenloft games have excellent stories, and although the combat in Strahd is a little rough, they really improved it with Stone Prophet and by Menzoberranzan it was sweet tactical goodness.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@Litchie said:

What do you mean "even if you play today"? Would they be worse if you still played them today? I play some of them even today, and yeah. Still good.

Weird thread.

A lot of people seem to think that if a game's graphics or technology has aged, that the game is no longer playable or worth bothering with.

Half Life 2's graphics have aged, but ever since it released I haven't seen an FPS do the genre better than it managed to do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@AcidTango said:

Not only that but they are better than most modern games and that isn't just nostalgia talking F.E.A.R. is a good example of that no other game has come close to it's A.I.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

I preface this by saying I consider myself a retro gamer first. Like, I can't list the old games I play, because old games is pretty much mostly what I play.

"I would say some games from the PS2 era still hold up."

Unfortunately the PS2 controller doesn't. I have various 2D controllers to replace it for the 2D games and a Brooks converter to allow me to use other controllers on it including the PS4 controller.

Also picked a Logitech Cordless controller to replace the official one.

As for PS2 games... There isn't as many 2D retro games as I would have liked. It's clear at the time, the industry considered 2D old and thought that with 3D, no one would go back. These days so many 2D games are released.

As a system for retro gaming, I'm not fond of the PS2. I like even older systems just fine but this compared with the competition... I've noticed games are not fast. Any racing game I've tried on it lacks a sense of speed. Even Wipeout and Extreme G. I don't get it. Any racing game I've played on the GameCube and Original Xbox was pretty fast. I was expecting Wipeout to be a bit like F-Zero GX, it's no where near as good or fast.

I did find Motorstorm Arctic Edge quite fun though.

But outside of a few 3D games, it's not a system which stands the test of time for me.

The Dreamcast fascinates because of Sega's arcade style at the time. The Gamecube was powerful enough and easy on developers that I think more games are playable for me now. The Original Xbox is still more than playable for me now. It was powerful enough that it did the games it had justice.

As a retro gamer instead of listing the systems I like, I'll say PS2 is the one I get on with the least, I'm trying, I have one set up.

I personally don't consider 7th gen onwards as retro.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#22 sakaiXx  Online
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

Personally games from GBA aged beautifully.

OmegaBlueUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 OmegaBlueUp
Member since 2006 • 500 Posts

The classic game I keep going back to is Castlevania Symphony of the Night. The art style and especially the music still holds up wonderfully. My only problem is that the more recent ports of this game (Vita, PS4, Xbox1) does not keep the epically cheesey dialogue from the original PS1 version.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 910 Posts

Right now I view anything as Gamecube/PS2/Xbox gen as old, but that alone is subjective. Too many individual games to name but here are some of my fav franchises:

Mario

Castlevania

Megaman

Zelda

Metroid

Halo

Banjo Kazooie

Goldeneye/Perfect Dark

Donkey Kong

Final Fantasy

Earthbound

Mario RPG/Paper Mario

Mario Kart

Smash Bros

Sonic

Streets of Rage

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Castlevania Symphony of the night still holds up to this day.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@Litchie said:

Weird thread.

This is true, and lol, but also, think of it this way: if pressed to pick, would you rather play Super Mario Galaxy or Mario 64?

I would definitely pick SMG.

Some of the games we go back to because they just do things better than modern games, while some of them we go back to were influential and game-changing for their time, but have been expanded upon and improved in newer titles. Like you said, though, it doesn't mean they're suddenly bad games though. They're still excellent.

Also realizing that technically SMG is a retro game now. Makes me feel old.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Most of the old Nintendo stuff still holds up well... also games like Half-Life 2, which I still play every know and then on XSX.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AcidTango  Online
Member since 2013 • 3217 Posts

@warmblur said:
@AcidTango said:

Not only that but they are better than most modern games and that isn't just nostalgia talking F.E.A.R. is a good example of that no other game has come close to it's A.I.

So many fps from the 90s and 2000s were so amazing back then. I recently finished playing Quake 1/2, Unreal 1, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom 1/2/3 and right now I'm playing Soldier of Fortune and No One Lives Forever again.

And yeah F.E.A.R. 1 is still in my top list of best fps for me. The gameplay and A.I is still incredible to this day. It still shocks me of how disappointing FEAR 2 was. I'm really hoping that the upcoming game Trepang2 will be FEAR's true successor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@AcidTango said:
@warmblur said:
@AcidTango said:

So many fps from the 90s and 2000s were so amazing back then. I recently finished playing Quake 1/2, Unreal 1, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom 1/2/3 and right now I'm playing Soldier of Fortune and No One Lives Forever again.

And yeah F.E.A.R. 1 is still in my top list of best fps for me. The gameplay and A.I is still incredible to this day. It still shocks me of how disappointing FEAR 2 was. I'm really hoping that the upcoming game Trepang2 will be FEAR's true successor.

Tell me about it for me it's the most disappointing sequel of all time it's hard to believe it was developed by Monolith because it feels like a dollar store F.E.A.R. clone. Almost everything about it was downgraded from the first game I like to imagine in a parallel universe that a true sequel came out.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

This is true, and lol, but also, think of it this way: if pressed to pick, would you rather play Super Mario Galaxy or Mario 64?

I would definitely pick SMG.

Fair, but even in that it's not like SMG is a linear improvement (the pun is really not intended).

SM64 has a whole hell of a lot more mechanical flex, put to work in stages that provide for a platforming sandbox. And has a much more enduring community for higher level play because of it. The player just has so much more agency in 64.

That's Nintendos pattern with 3d Mario. The more open games let the player go wild with their mechanics (SM64, SMS, SMO), whereas the the more linear obstacle course games reel those mechanics way back (SMG, SMG2, SM3DW). SM3DW arguably going too far. Still a good game, but relative to the rest, player can't really do shit lol.

Nothing wrong with preferring SMG. I fucking love SMG2, great game. Naturally there will be preferences for the obstacle course over the sandbox and vice versa. Just saying it's more lateral in this case, improving in some areas at the expense of others.

If pressed, many would also opt for SM64 instead, strictly for gameplay reasons.

-

Think a better comparison would be something like MGS1 to MGS2. Yeah, yeah, people hate Raiden, prefer MGS1s atmosphere and story, etc.

But looking at those games mechanics, systems, and level design, MGS2 is clearly a linear evolution of MGS1 in every way. Could prefer the relative simplicity of MGS1s play I suppose, but it's obvious that MGS2 is a direct improvement.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38717 Posts

I played gow2 from the remastered trilogy today (first time). Holy shit is it a bad game or what? From now on, every single person that says that the trilogy was better than the reboot, i will consider them as the biggest trolls on SW. Its so bad in comparison that if a person is dead serious about what they're saying, its as if they don't understand what makes a game good and memorable. Older gow titles are nothing but brainless qte spam in generic looking environments. God damn it was bad.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#32 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

I played gow2 from the remastered trilogy today (first time). Holy shit is it a bad game or what? From now on, every single person that says that the trilogy was better than the reboot, i will consider them as the biggest trolls on SW. Its so bad in comparison that if a person is dead serious about what they're saying, its as if they don't understand what makes a game good and memorable. Older gow titles are nothing but brainless qte spam in generic looking environments. God damn it was bad.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
@BassMan said:
@hardwenzen said:

Without even memeing, i had less fun during those two or so hours in gow2 than most of my 174h in BF2042. It was attrocious.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BassMan

@hardwenzen: GoW 2 is an epic adventure with excellent pacing and variety. Keep playing.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen  Online

@BassMan said:

@hardwenzen: GoW 2 is an epic adventure with excellent pacing and variety. Keep playing.

Not my copy, was at a boddies house. Playing the game, i had no interest of seeing what happens next in the story, what's the upcoming boss fight or area, it felt so shallow and fogettable. Best way i could describe it, is that it felt cheap, Kickstarter cheap. The evolution between the older gow games and the current ones might very well be the biggest improvement i have ever seen in gaming. Absolute holy shit moment.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BassMan
@hardwenzen said:
@BassMan said:

Not my copy, was at a boddies house. Playing the game, i had no interest of seeing what happens next in the story, what's the upcoming boss fight or area, it felt so shallow and fogettable. Best way i could describe it, is that it felt cheap, Kickstarter cheap. The evolution between the older gow games and the current ones might very well be the biggest improvement i have ever seen in gaming. Absolute holy shit moment.

They are different kind of games. I enjoy both the old style and new style, but I prefer the old style for GoW. I can see how you would like the new style as it lends itself more towards the Souls formula which you are obsessed with. GoW 2 is a very old game from the PS2 era. It was absolutely epic back in the day when it came out. Since this is the first time you have played the game, I am guessing you are quite a bit younger than me and don't fully comprehend and appreciate the impact certain games had back in the day and how they influenced future games. GoW 2 may not be a looker by today's standards, but it still holds up fairly well as an overall package.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

Prob the most obv one is Ultimate Doom.

Game can just jump in and play for 10-20 minutes or hours.

Not just original content either, to this day, people make content.

Outside of that Quake 1/2, Duke3d etc...etc..

Honestly most of the games playing now are old. Think I just hate modern times.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BassMan
@uninspiredcup said:

Prob the most obv one if Ultimate Doom.

Most of the games you play now are old because your PC looks something like this.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

This is true. Won't be able to pay £4000 to watch The Last Of Us people walk slowly and pickup ladders. Or the God Of War man have a woman instruct him how to wipe his ass.

Tis' a curse.

@BassMan said:

Most of the games you play now are old because your PC looks something like this.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen  Online

@BassMan said:
@hardwenzen said:
@BassMan said:

They are different kind of games. I enjoy both the old style and new style, but I prefer the old style for GoW. I can see how you would like the new style as it lends itself more towards the Souls formula which you are obsessed with. GoW 2 is a very old game from the PS2 era. It was absolutely epic back in the day when it came out. Since this is the first time you have played the game, I am guessing you are quite a bit younger than me and don't fully comprehend and appreciate the impact certain games had back in the day and how they influenced future games. GoW 2 may not be a looker by today's standards, but it still holds up fairly well as an overall package.

lol i wasn't a kid when the game came out, but its only with gow3 release that i had any interest in trying one of these (which i liked). And while it is true that there's is some souls inspiration in the reboot, i just can't enjoy a game that looks so bland. Muh immersion is broken when every room looks the same. The combat system doesn't feel satisfying either.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BassMan

@hardwenzen: It seems like you are half-ass cow if you have not played all the GoW games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@BassMan said:

@hardwenzen: It seems like you are half-ass cow if you have not played all the GoW games.

lmao my kind had a lot of shovelware i couldn't care less about during the ps2 era.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BassMan
@hardwenzen said:

lmao my kind had a lot of shovelware i couldn't care less about during the ps2 era.

A lot of good Sony games on PS2. GoW 1&2, GT 3&4, Jak series, R&C series, Sly Cooper series, Ico, SotC, Twisted Metal Black, etc..

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Halo 1-3

Rust

Day Z

GTAV

Half-Life 1-2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@uninspiredcup said:

Prob the most obv one is Ultimate Doom.

You and me both I'm seeing all these game trailers release for the VGA's and wish I had a new hobby. The gaming that I use to enjoy is pretty much dead they don't make them like they use to everything is 95 percent trash or mid at best.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts
@warmblur said:

You and me both I'm seeing all these game trailers release for the VGA's and wish I had a new hobby.

Did we watch same show? its been a long time since new game reveal are good in any show.

Space marine 2, Jedi survivor, Judas, Atomic heart (more of) are all fantastic reveal.

OT: none of PS1/PS2 game actually age well today. only PC games are but PS2 games donot age well and they suffer from bad controls and camera. thats why remaking them is necesserily so they work properly with KB/M.

stuff like Half life, Half life 2, Max Payne, Splinter cell still feel good. the old Doom and Quake are outdated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@phantoms3ternal said:
@warmblur said:

The gaming that I use to enjoy is pretty much dead they don't make them like they use to everything is 95 percent trash or mid at best.

@warmblur said:
  • SSX tricky and SSX 3
  • Burnout Takedown and Revenge
  • Max Payne 2 PC version
  • Def Jam Fight for NY
  • Some WWE games like No Mercy, HCTP, SVR
  • Medal of Honor Allied Assault especially the MP that's where the real skill is at.
  • Tony Hawk 2, 3 4, underground

There's a ton more.

My friend this doesnot make sense. 95 percent of your list is trash or mid at best. The industry still make bad games for you to play.

Rejoice.

My friend? Ghost alt account lol anyways I'm glad you enjoyed my list.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

@warmblur: Guess it's a joke account.

"Phantoms3ternal" instead of Ghosts4ever.
"My friend".
Immersive sims sig.

I want to see some threads from this guy.