What are the top 5 flops of this gen in your opinion?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts
  • Konami - this company went from giving us Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, Silent Hill, and so much more, to practically nothing. They cancelled Silent Hills and fired Hideo Kojima. Wtf is this company doing lol. I hope they make a comeback ala Capcom, but if they really don't care, they should just sell their franchises. So sad!
  • Playstation Vita - Sony's best handheld, hardware wise. Heck, maybe the best handheld hardware ever. The Vita was made fun of by SW quite a lot back in its launch, especially for "lack of games", but the Vita actually had some decent support in the beginning. But it was Sony's failure to adapt that led to its demise. Smartphones/Tablets became a big thing around this time, and mobile gaming was exploding. Even Nintendo, who sold 150 million units of the original Nintendo DS, managed to sell less of half of that with the 3DS. Then Sony decided to market the Vita as a peripheral for the PS4.. so dumb lol. Nowadays Vita is seen as a cult classic. I just recently sold mine after 8 years of ownership. It was time. lol.
  • Wii U - terrible marketing, and a huge flop considering not only sales, but market dominance. The original Wii sold 100+ million units! It was a phenomenon for its time. And then we got the Wii U, which we got some decent first party games for, but that was it. It still managed to sell millions of copies of its big franchises like Smash Bros, but not nearly as good as the Switch. The Switch is the right direction for Nintendo in my opinion.
  • Xbox One launch - Talk about arrogance.. MS tried to force DRM and Kinect down your throat just because they wanted to. When asked what should gamers do if they want an offline console, Don Mattrick recommended getting an Xbox 360. Way to sell your console there lol. But anyway, the launch was a disaster for MS, and ultimately gave Sony the edge very early on to win the console race. But MS has learned its lesson since then, becoming very pro-consumer.
  • Halo Infinite Reveal - this game was supposed to be the big Xbox launch title of next gen. It's been 5 years since the last game came out, and Xbox had gamers hyped on the power of the XSX. What gamers got was an underwhelming reveal trailer which became a meme that we will all remember lol. Since then, the game has been delayed. But make no mistake, MS was going to launch this thing up until that reveal. Even Monster Energy drink had a promotion that they're still going run this holiday even though the game is coming out next year https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/31/21408720/halo-infinite-weapon-skins-343-industries-monster-energy

So yea, those are my top 5 flops of the gen. What are yours, SW?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46255 Posts

Wii U and Switch

elitegaming313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 elitegaming313
Member since 2020 • 6 Posts

In my opinion, PlayStation Vita was a total flop. The only portable device Sony successfully sold was the PSP which was awesome (anyone play GTA vice city will know). But yh those are my thoughts, tho ofc, Wii U also was a major disaster

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I’m going to simply say EA, because outside of earnings, the publisher has been hollowed out of meaningful gaming content.

Stadia. Wii U (which I liked, generally speaking). And you can’t dismiss how poorly Vita performed, even though I really enjoyed the device and still play it occasionally.

We are also quick to forget, 3DS was a disaster until Nintendo subsidized the cost in order to avoid sharing the same sticker price as the Vita.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46255 Posts

@elitegaming313: Rockstar even pledged support for the Vita.

A game like Liberty City or Vice City Stories could've been so cool...

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

Yeah, Vita was about the biggest flop ever known. Also Sony phones.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Yeah, Vita was about the biggest flop ever known. Also Sony phones.

True.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

The Vita had so much wasted potential.

It could have been the Switch before the Switch.

I had been saying for years that SOMEONE needed to partner with AMD or Nvidia to put one of their low powered APUs into a handheld for ease of development but every one of them had proprietary hardware and development tools

Vita would've been amazing with the Tegra 3 or K1 APUs

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I agree with most of those but can Halo Infinite be counted as current gen?

Vita would be my top spot of the flop list. Great hardware turned into a shit stain because not even Sony would support the f**king thing. Two years of ok to good games on the system was not worth the price of admission and due to Vita, I'll never buy another handheld for me again or from Sony, ever.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#10 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

I think it has to be the Wii U, with the Vita being a close 2nd

Think about it, The Wii U was following Nintendo's most successful home console ever, one of the most successful consoles of all time even, and the Wii U barely sold more than the Dreamcast.

That's pretty bad

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidGame_basic  Online

@Telekill said:

I agree with most of those but can Halo Infinite be counted as current gen?

Vita would be my top spot of the flop list. Great hardware turned into a shit stain because not even Sony would support the f**king thing. Two years of ok to good games on the system was not worth the price of admission and due to Vita, I'll never buy another handheld for me again or from Sony, ever.

I guess I was thinking it happened this gen, but you have a point lol.

@Star67 said:

I think it has to be the Wii U, with the Vita being a close 2nd

Think about it, The Wii U was following Nintendo's most successful home console ever, one of the most successful consoles of all time even, and the Wii U barely sold more than the Dreamcast.

That's pretty bad

Yea, to me, Wii U is the bigger failure. Nintendo was killing it in 7th gen. They fell so hard, lost so much of the market.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yeah, the WiiU.

Still, had two of my favorite games this gen as well as a handful of others that I liked a lot. Come to think of it, wtf? I actually got more use out of it than any other console this gen lol.

Luckily almost all of those have been ported.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Stadia

Vita

Wii U

X1 forcing Kinect then ditching it and the terrible messaging from the pr team early on.

EA games

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem are maybe the biggest disappointments since Colonial Marines.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#15 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Wii U- Nuff said.

PS4- While PS3 is one of my most used and favorite consoles ever at the time, the PS4 is the least used console Ive owned. Ended up selling it. Also hated the controller.

Stadia- I honestly keep forgetting it exists until a youtuber brings it up.

Xbone- Used it a good deal more than the PS4, but still an overall unimpressive library especially given Gamepass on PC makes the console pointless.

Big publishers- EA, Ubisoft, Activision turning alot of games into live service cash grabs.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3053 Posts

I am confused by what constitutes "this gen"...at least based upon your answers.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Your list is very thorough, and I agree with it completely. May I add that the biggest flop revolving around the xbox one was the watch-tv-on-it-feature. What an insult to us gamers. Had Microsoft just stated that the xbox could be used as a media player, youtube etc. it wouldn't have been as bad, but TV? Oh dear.

As for Konami, what happened to their heavy hitters such as Castlevania and Silent Hill? Did they fall asleep?

But the top of the flop is still the WiiU. That oversized gamepad and underpowered hardware told me from the beginning that the console would flop, but some gamers, especially on IGN, kept defending it. I got so tired of hearing how fantastic the WiiU was, because clearly it wasn't.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#18 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

The order 1886

Sea of thieves

TLOU2

X1

WiiU

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#19 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

PS Vita

Wii U

Steam Machine

Stadia

Oculus Rift

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Kinect (Unsupported force bundled trash)

Crackdown 3 (Overhyped Cloud Tech)

Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Broken Online Matchmaking)

ScaleBound (Huge Game promised canceled)

X-Series X Launch Lineup (Phil says its the best ever...I think it could be the worst of all time)

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@pmanden said:

@SolidGame_basic: Your list is very thorough, and I agree with it completely. May I add that the biggest flop revolving around the xbox one was the watch-tv-on-it-feature. What an insult to us gamers. Had Microsoft just stated that the xbox could be used as a media player, youtube etc. it wouldn't have been as bad, but TV? Oh dear.

As for Konami, what happened to their heavy hitters such as Castlevania and Silent Hill? Did they fall asleep?

But the top of the flop is still the WiiU. That oversized gamepad and underpowered hardware told me from the beginning that the console would flop, but some gamers, especially on IGN, kept defending it. I got so tired of hearing how fantastic the WiiU was, because clearly it wasn't.

Thanks, man. It's nice to know that there are people that read my posts haha. I remember the TV thing. I remember them flipping the channels at the wave of their hand. Yes, Konami.. I just don't know what to say lol.. Especially now with COVID, the pachinko business must be hurting hard. Hopefully they come to their senses and start making games again. But if they do, it better be good lol. As for the Wii U, it's one giant WTF in Nintendo history lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
  • No man's Sky
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Stadia
  • Wii U
  • Xbox one
  • Lawbreakers
  • Knack
  • Battlefield 5
  • Valve’s Artifact
pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Dragon Age Inquisition

When it comes to disappointment, BioWare does not.... disappoint?

Also Stadia - Solely due to the pricing model, the service itself actually works well.