- Konami - this company went from giving us Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, Silent Hill, and so much more, to practically nothing. They cancelled Silent Hills and fired Hideo Kojima. Wtf is this company doing lol. I hope they make a comeback ala Capcom, but if they really don't care, they should just sell their franchises. So sad!
- Playstation Vita - Sony's best handheld, hardware wise. Heck, maybe the best handheld hardware ever. The Vita was made fun of by SW quite a lot back in its launch, especially for "lack of games", but the Vita actually had some decent support in the beginning. But it was Sony's failure to adapt that led to its demise. Smartphones/Tablets became a big thing around this time, and mobile gaming was exploding. Even Nintendo, who sold 150 million units of the original Nintendo DS, managed to sell less of half of that with the 3DS. Then Sony decided to market the Vita as a peripheral for the PS4.. so dumb lol. Nowadays Vita is seen as a cult classic. I just recently sold mine after 8 years of ownership. It was time. lol.
- Wii U - terrible marketing, and a huge flop considering not only sales, but market dominance. The original Wii sold 100+ million units! It was a phenomenon for its time. And then we got the Wii U, which we got some decent first party games for, but that was it. It still managed to sell millions of copies of its big franchises like Smash Bros, but not nearly as good as the Switch. The Switch is the right direction for Nintendo in my opinion.
- Xbox One launch - Talk about arrogance.. MS tried to force DRM and Kinect down your throat just because they wanted to. When asked what should gamers do if they want an offline console, Don Mattrick recommended getting an Xbox 360. Way to sell your console there lol. But anyway, the launch was a disaster for MS, and ultimately gave Sony the edge very early on to win the console race. But MS has learned its lesson since then, becoming very pro-consumer.
- Halo Infinite Reveal - this game was supposed to be the big Xbox launch title of next gen. It's been 5 years since the last game came out, and Xbox had gamers hyped on the power of the XSX. What gamers got was an underwhelming reveal trailer which became a meme that we will all remember lol. Since then, the game has been delayed. But make no mistake, MS was going to launch this thing up until that reveal. Even Monster Energy drink had a promotion that they're still going run this holiday even though the game is coming out next year https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/31/21408720/halo-infinite-weapon-skins-343-industries-monster-energy
So yea, those are my top 5 flops of the gen. What are yours, SW?