What are the reasons for your platform preference?

• 79 results
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Many wars here are fought over stuff that not all gamers care for.

Some people here are defending games like uncharted or forza but never play those games. Sure it is defenitely system wars material and a reason for debate but I was wondering what the personal reasons are for your platform of preference.

Like in my case, I preferred the xbox this gen mainly for the controller and fifa legends. But after I bought it there were other reasons to stick with it. The last Magic duels version is one of favourite games and it never came to the playstation. The pc version lacks multiplayer/chat options.

I also got world of tanks earlier, and recently fight night champion became backwards compatible. I love boxing games and when I sold my x360 in 2015 I was under the impression this gen would get a boxing game, sadly it didn't. But fight night champion, especially after the bc release is still very active.

So the xbox has been the best platform for me through this gen. What has been your platform of preference this gen and why?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Options and control.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

I grew up on PC.

It's a manly platform.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7221 Posts

Simply because of my preference for shooters and racing games its been Xbox. I like the way PS4 have released a mixed bag of genres this gen though.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

All comes down to quality and versatility. Consoles don't even come close to PC.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

PC and i favor PS4 big time because of Sonys mentality to keep releasing exclusives after exclusives after exclusives. I knew Wii U wouldnt end well, i even warned sheep about it .. X1 just shoot itself before its release, i did a lengthy analysis few days after its release and made things even worse when they decided to let system go without exclusives, something i didnt expect.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7221 Posts

I agree with you in terms of resolution and price. My brother has had a gaming pc for 4 years and hasn't had to upgrade once. I've already upgraded from of xbox to the s now thinking of an X. Pretty crazy really.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@BassMan: can’t find a game like god of war, uncharted, bloodborne, hzd, etc on pc. I love gaming with my gtx 1080 but those AAA games are missing. I do agree that quality is superior on pc, but it’s the first party titles I mentioned that are missing for me.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#9 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

@pdogg93: Most good games are multiplats. So, PC is the best way to play them and is the best primary platform. I own the consoles for exclusives only. However, even the exclusives that you mentioned have similar games on PC. Tomb Raider if you like Uncharted, Dark Souls if you like Bloodborne, etc..

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I love the blue ps4 logo and the greatness awaits and for the players taglines

also platinum trophies are funner to do than just getting some points

the controller is cooler and doesn't use AA batteries

the japanese support is huge on ps4 which are my fav games i could care less about last of us and uncharted just give me my japanese games

yeah and I like sony's policies better they were like this is how you trade a game and said xbox one wasa gonna spy on people with kinect camera's

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

I'm tempted to get either the PS4/Pro or Nintendo's Switch for gaming content. PC has disappointed me as of late with so many games being an after thought upon their release on consoles. They're not even by the original studios, but porting houses... The few of them which are developed from the ground up for PC are amazing, but low performing MMO RPG and MOBA are more abundant, not to mention the newest friendly competitive FPS. Besides, I want to rest and invest on social interaction at home, so the PS4/Pro and Switch will do.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

PC only for all common reasons people give for PC

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

PC just for the sake of exclusives and modding. Tons of games that never came out on consoles or are severely gimped versions like PUBG, Escape from Tarkov, The Forest and Hunt:Showdown make the PC a great place to be. Then with modding, games like The Witcher 3 can look and run twofold over the console versions.

I did get a 360 last gen for a bit and I have a PS3. I probably would have picked up a PS4, but due to lack of funds it just hasn't been an option. I don't feel like I'm missing out on a ton, though; the only games I want to play are Bloodborne and God of War. Uncharted 2 was crap, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on any of the new ones.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#14  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

Top 5 reasons I still a PC-only gamer:

5. This is a new one for me: it's the best platform to play Warframe, which is updated insanely frequently on PC. Consoles have to wait for certification, which means they get patches about once a month, tops. Meanwhile, PC gets a patch every week, plus hotfixes - sometimes multiple in a single day. In just two weeks, consoles will be at least half a dozen patches behind, often more.

4. Mouse & Keyboard. Just love the speed and precision in shooters. I must have my flying headshots.

3. Mods. I still can't fathom how console players can play Skyrim without them. Sure, they have some mods now, but it's highly restricted, and they still don't have SKSE or utilities like TES5Edit.

2. Strategy games. Turn-based ones like Age of Wonders. Real-time ones like Total War. Grew up with C&C and Total Annihilation. Still love them.

1. This might sound paradoxical, but I'm just more casual and relaxed about my gaming now. Quite simply, PC just meets all my gaming needs these days. I'm happy with that and don't need any more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

PS4: Only because of exclusives. Otherwise I would have no reason to own one.

PC: I don't need to even justify it.

Mobile iOS: Cuz why not.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

PS4 is my platform of gaming as of right now. Most Japanese games are on the system. I dislike digital copies, so PC is not an option. Part of the reason I prefer physical copies is that I have bad internet connection, so downloading the games would take ages.

I also really like Sony's first party games. Uncharted, Horizon, GOW, Ratchet, and Infamous so that's another reason. And Yakuza is only on PS4.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

With PC I like having a 30+ year library of games. With console I like some of the exclusives and the simplicity however in recent years the exclusives aren't to my liking and the PC today is just as simple as a console if you set it up to be like that. I can have a console sized system hoooked to my TV, no longer restrained to a monitor and desk with a huge tower that sounds like it's about to liftoff into space.

Although you guys love to argue that exclusives give identity to hardware, I still say hardware should need no identity as it's a price to performance ratio because exclusives are not good for customers but you're all just so well programmed by the corporations to think it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The Nintendo Switch is my favorite console of this generation. My two favorite types of games to play are party games that can generate fun and laughs while playing with my friends/GF and platformers that can deliver a fun challenge for me to overcome. These are two types of games that Nintendo consoles nearly always excel at better than the competition and the Nintendo Switch has already proven to be no exception, so that is probably the biggest reason why the Nintendo Switch is my favorite.

My opinion on the other platforms are:

Xbox One: As much as I love Nintendo, they tend to be weak in the areas of 3rd party support and online gaming which is why I think that Nintendo and Xbox consoles complement each other so well. Xbox gets most multiplat games that Nintendo consoles miss out on and I prefer playing multiplats on Xbox over Playstation since the Xbox has a far better controller and overall better features than Playstation. I also highly value Xbox Live since as an adult, my friends and I can't get together under the same roof to play games as often as we did when we were younger and Xbox Live gives us a way to continue to easily play games together on a regular basis on the best online gaming service around.

Playstation 4: Sony has never been my favorite console maker in any generation, but I have bought all of their consoles and I really enjoyed the PS1 and the PS2 since they provided a variety of fun games that I could not get on any of my other consoles. I have a much lower opinion of the PS3 and the PS4. As I mentioned previously, I think that Xbox is the better console for multiplats this generation and every other generation since they entered the market, so Sony doesn't get any points for multiplats from me. However, that would be fine as long as they delivered a variety of fun exclusives like they did on the PS1 and the PS2, but they have failed to do that on the PS4 for my tastes. I feel that Sony started to get obsessed with movie-games on the PS3 and then they double-downed on movie-games even more with the PS4. I hate movie-games so this has made me very disappointed with the PS4 and unless Sony impresses me with some real games during their E3 showing, I'm planning to put my PS4 on eBay next week.

PC: I'm a console guy; always have been, always will be. Playing games on a PC just doesn't feel right to me since I primarily associate a PC with work and I spend all day working on a PC so when I want to relax with a game, I need to get away from the PC. As a physical media fan, I also don't like that physical media is pretty much dead on PC. There is one exception that I have made over the past few years and that is for virtual reality. Consoles just can't deliver a great VR experience yet so this is the one area that I turn to my PC for, and when I'm walking around my room with a VR headset on, it doesn't feel like I'm on a PC so the work associations that I have with PC doesn't bother me as much as when trying to play a traditional game on a PC.

And lastly, I miss Sega and wish that they would return to making consoles. :(

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

PC, it's the only option.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22631 Posts

I switch emphasis on different companies almost every generation...

This gen I went ps4, but the last two were xbox emphasis and before that, Nintendo... Now im Back to using switch more than ps4.

If you select a console to start tee gen off with and then finish the generation on the one you've avoided, usually you can jump in pretty cheap with a huge library ready to go... I've done that in every gen since the snores /genesis days.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Currently my platform of choice is the Xbox One because of the following preferences of mine are:

- the controller

- the online experience

- the interface and ecosystem

- the achievement system

- backwards compatibility support

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Mine is pretty obvious

PS4 because... exclusives

RiverboatRon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RiverboatRon
Member since 2016 • 71 Posts

@Valkeerie: yea i have a gaming PC and I'm getting really bored/dissapointed with steams cataloge. Keeping my PC, but I think I'm going to get a Switch and Ps4 this year and have them be my primary gaming machines.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

PS4 cause i grew up with Playstation.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

PS4, exclusives and controller. Pretty simple.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I got an NES when I was younger because it was THE system. I didn't even know about the Sega Master System.

I got a Genesis because of Sonic. My bud bought a Genesis and I got to try out Sonic and loved it. It's also the reason I got my Game Gear. Sonic on the go was amazing. Obviously many other games on the golden age of Sega were also amazing.

From there, I went with Playstation. I read up on the PS1, Saturn and N64 and after seeing the CGi of Oddworld in a magazine plus the controller, I decided to go with Playstation over Saturn. A great decision as there were so many incredible games on it.

The next gen, I bought all four at one point. I was just out of high school and had lots of expendable income from my job. I only owned the Xbox for a month though. PS2 became the favorite platform; no surprise.

Playstation had two incredible runs so I kept with Playstation for PS3. The first year sucked but games like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed released shortly after and kept me happy. I also got a Wii later as a gift and it ruined me on Nintendo until the Switch.

I preordered PS4 this gen because Sony kept delivering great games. I got a Switch last year for the family but PS4 is still my main and will be until PS5. They just keep delivering great games. I can't complain.

I did try PC gaming around 2002-2006 and while I loved Unreal Tournament 2004 and Warcraft 3, I still mostly played on my PS2 and didn't care about upgrading the PC which was mostly used for college.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#27 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

PS4 has the games I want and the controller is pretty fantastic.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

Pc for its online.

PlayStation for all the titles itd brought me since I was a child during the 90s.

Nintendo for the nostalgia

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9815 Posts

@BassMan: Agreed. They're streets ahead.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 commander

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

PC just for the sake of exclusives and modding. Tons of games that never came out on consoles or are severely gimped versions like PUBG, Escape from Tarkov, The Forest and Hunt:Showdown make the PC a great place to be. Then with modding, games like The Witcher 3 can look and run twofold over the console versions.

I did get a 360 last gen for a bit and I have a PS3. I probably would have picked up a PS4, but due to lack of funds it just hasn't been an option. I don't feel like I'm missing out on a ton, though; the only games I want to play are Bloodborne and God of War. Uncharted 2 was crap, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on any of the new ones.

I played the witcher 3 on console and now I have a gtx 1070 for my vr and I tried it on that, there's defenitely a major difference.

Bloodborne is defenitely up there with the greatest, I only played it for a short amount of time, but if you're into the souls games and you want more, you should really get bloodborne, no shield though, this is kinda dodge and weave kinda play.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By commander

@madrocketeer said:

Top 5 reasons I still a PC-only gamer:

5. This is a new one for me: it's the best platform to play Warframe, which is updated insanely frequently on PC. Consoles have to wait for certification, which means they get patches about once a month, tops. Meanwhile, PC gets a patch every week, plus hotfixes - sometimes multiple in a single day. In just two weeks, consoles will be at least half a dozen patches behind, often more.

4. Mouse & Keyboard. Just love the speed and precision in shooters. I must have my flying headshots.

3. Mods. I still can't fathom how console players can play Skyrim without them. Sure, they have some mods now, but it's highly restricted, and they still don't have SKSE or utilities like TES5Edit.

2. Strategy games. Turn-based ones like Age of Wonders. Real-time ones like Total War. Grew up with C&C and Total Annihilation. Still love them.

1. This might sound paradoxical, but I'm just more casual and relaxed about my gaming now. Quite simply, PC just meets all my gaming needs these days. I'm happy with that and don't need any more.

You warframe comment is a good example how the difference in platforms are way bigger than most people think.

As for skyrim modding, I have skyrim vr, but haven't really touch mods yet, it does look amazing even without mods. But if I would install a mod, what mod should I certainly get? I didn't really use mods when I played the pancake version either.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

PC for all the usual reasons. The only reason my PS4 is infrequently used is due to exclusives.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 commander

@TheEroica said:

I switch emphasis on different companies almost every generation...

This gen I went ps4, but the last two were xbox emphasis and before that, Nintendo... Now im Back to using switch more than ps4.

If you select a console to start tee gen off with and then finish the generation on the one you've avoided, usually you can jump in pretty cheap with a huge library ready to go... I've done that in every gen since the snores /genesis days.

This might not be ideal for multiplayer games though, by the time you get into a multiplayer game, it will be past its prime, and you'll mostly run into die hard experts that couldn't put the game down. Not to mention it will be a lot less active.

Even with single player games I feel this could damage the experience. There's a lot of times I wanted to play a single player game but I postpone it so long that by the time I played it, it looks outdated.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 commander

@storm_of_swords said:

The Nintendo Switch is my favorite console of this generation. My two favorite types of games to play are party games that can generate fun and laughs while playing with my friends/GF and platformers that can deliver a fun challenge for me to overcome. These are two types of games that Nintendo consoles nearly always excel at better than the competition and the Nintendo Switch has already proven to be no exception, so that is probably the biggest reason why the Nintendo Switch is my favorite.

My opinion on the other platforms are:

Xbox One: As much as I love Nintendo, they tend to be weak in the areas of 3rd party support and online gaming which is why I think that Nintendo and Xbox consoles complement each other so well. Xbox gets most multiplat games that Nintendo consoles miss out on and I prefer playing multiplats on Xbox over Playstation since the Xbox has a far better controller and overall better features than Playstation. I also highly value Xbox Live since as an adult, my friends and I can't get together under the same roof to play games as often as we did when we were younger and Xbox Live gives us a way to continue to easily play games together on a regular basis on the best online gaming service around.

Playstation 4: Sony has never been my favorite console maker in any generation, but I have bought all of their consoles and I really enjoyed the PS1 and the PS2 since they provided a variety of fun games that I could not get on any of my other consoles. I have a much lower opinion of the PS3 and the PS4. As I mentioned previously, I think that Xbox is the better console for multiplats this generation and every other generation since they entered the market, so Sony doesn't get any points for multiplats from me. However, that would be fine as long as they delivered a variety of fun exclusives like they did on the PS1 and the PS2, but they have failed to do that on the PS4 for my tastes. I feel that Sony started to get obsessed with movie-games on the PS3 and then they double-downed on movie-games even more with the PS4. I hate movie-games so this has made me very disappointed with the PS4 and unless Sony impresses me with some real games during their E3 showing, I'm planning to put my PS4 on eBay next week.

PC: I'm a console guy; always have been, always will be. Playing games on a PC just doesn't feel right to me since I primarily associate a PC with work and I spend all day working on a PC so when I want to relax with a game, I need to get away from the PC. As a physical media fan, I also don't like that physical media is pretty much dead on PC. There is one exception that I have made over the past few years and that is for virtual reality. Consoles just can't deliver a great VR experience yet so this is the one area that I turn to my PC for, and when I'm walking around my room with a VR headset on, it doesn't feel like I'm on a PC so the work associations that I have with PC doesn't bother me as much as when trying to play a traditional game on a PC.

And lastly, I miss Sega and wish that they would return to making consoles. :(

Virtual reality is the sole reason I got myself a gaming pc again, and it's the most expensive I ever had. There a 500 euro graphics card in there, while in the past I never spend more than 200 ish.

I did like the pc in the past though, during the end nineties and early 2000's, because you had certain games that simply couldn't run on the consoles, halflife for instance.

I miss sega too, but that's mostly because nintendo isn't really making a system than competes with the others in terms of power.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 commander

@Telekill said:

I got an NES when I was younger because it was THE system. I didn't even know about the Sega Master System.

I got a Genesis because of Sonic. My bud bought a Genesis and I got to try out Sonic and loved it. It's also the reason I got my Game Gear. Sonic on the go was amazing. Obviously many other games on the golden age of Sega were also amazing.

From there, I went with Playstation. I read up on the PS1, Saturn and N64 and after seeing the CGi of Oddworld in a magazine plus the controller, I decided to go with Playstation over Saturn. A great decision as there were so many incredible games on it.

The next gen, I bought all four at one point. I was just out of high school and had lots of expendable income from my job. I only owned the Xbox for a month though. PS2 became the favorite platform; no surprise.

Playstation had two incredible runs so I kept with Playstation for PS3. The first year sucked but games like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed released shortly after and kept me happy. I also got a Wii later as a gift and it ruined me on Nintendo until the Switch.

I preordered PS4 this gen because Sony kept delivering great games. I got a Switch last year for the family but PS4 is still my main and will be until PS5. They just keep delivering great games. I can't complain.

I did try PC gaming around 2002-2006 and while I loved Unreal Tournament 2004 and Warcraft 3, I still mostly played on my PS2 and didn't care about upgrading the PC which was mostly used for college.

I bought three wii's and I regretted every purchase.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I started on home computers back in the 80s and I moved on from there. I like the freedom.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10417 Posts

i've always got a pc on the go but as far as consoles go it was xbox last gen, but then the disastrous xbox one announcement - always online, mandatory kinect, can't trade or lend games to friends, no back compatibility etc. was a huge factor in me going ps4, despite the backtracking that came soon after. it showed they'd lost touch with what was important (although i did eventually pick up a x one).

plus there were only two marquee exclusive franchises that i really liked - gears and halo - and both had been bought out by ms. after the iffy halo 4 by 343 and the forgettable gears judgement i didn't hold out any hope that these franchises could return to former glories, which proved to be a good shout. gears 4 in particular was gash.

meanwhile, sony had a great ps4 reveal, had the more powerful console at the time, i really wanted to play the last of us and i had more interest in sony exclusives than xbox ones like forza and dead rising

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Games, games and games everything else is a plus, but that about it!!!

I've always had all systems, now that i'm a family man, had to make some choices.

End up with a Ps4 and a Pc...more games than i can chew :p

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

i prefer xbox, controller, ui, runs straight out of the box, runs all media, exploreris decent and sit somewhere more comfy, then pc games are cheapest, then ps4, dont like the ui or the controller

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11054 Posts

PC - Customization of EVERYthing. Mods, controls, graphics. Can swap out parts any time I want. Haven for up and coming game development

PS4 - Best of eastern and western exclusive development in one box. Enjoy a good chunk of Sony's IPs

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

PC - Already been explained to death, it is THE gaming machine.

PS4 - the occasional weekend blockbuster rental

Switch - Portability, and fantastic range of exclusives that focus on gameplay.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

PlayStation has the best games every gen. Simple as that. Best first party and all the 3rd party.

Microsoft only has 3rd party games.

Nintendo has absolutely nothing. Pure garbage. This myth their delusional fanboys continue to push of “amazing games” baffles me.

I will never understand why people like trash like zelda, Mario etc. Same games since N64. Nintendo is so far behind the rest of the industry it is sad. But their fanbase loves old games and cardboard...so whatever. You do you LOL

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#43  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts
@commander said:

You warframe comment is a good example how the difference in platforms are way bigger than most people think.

As for skyrim modding, I have skyrim vr, but haven't really touch mods yet, it does look amazing even without mods. But if I would install a mod, what mod should I certainly get? I didn't really use mods when I played the pancake version either.

I'm not sure how mods work on the VR version - or even if they work at all.

For me personally, on the base non-VR versions, I usually start with the Unofficial Patches, and then fire up TES5Edit to clean up the archives. Seriously, it turned out Bethesda made a lot of editing errors to their game (especially Dawnguard), which resulted in a bunch of weirdness - such as Nirya following me around the College and such - and once I learned to clean them up with TES5Edit, the weirdness disappeared completely.

SkyUI is popular, and for good reason. I personally don't use it because I like to "make do." One thing I did appreciate was the clock widget that shows the in-game time of day. Very useful for Better Vampires mod below. This requires SKSE.

What I do use is DynDoLOD, which generates new LOD objects for the game and makes the far landscape look much better. This also requires SKSE.

And then I get to the gameplay stuff. Better Vampires add so much to the vampire gameplay, such as reverse progression, sun damage, and making your own blood potions. I don't play a vampire character without it. Speaking of vampires, I also use "Dawnguard No Vampire Attacks" to stop those annoying Vampire attacks in cities. I'll do the Dawnguard quest at my own time, thank you very much.

And of course, items, weapons, gear, cool stuff. I do use a body mod, but only because many armours and clothing are designed for custom bodies now. I use UNP, which I find more conservatively-shaped, instead of the more well-known CBBE. I'm pretty sure I use a few more mods than those, but that's all I can think off the top of my head for now. YMMV, of course.

Sorry, no links. There are two versions (standard and Special Edition) for many of these mods, so I can't be bothered looking them all up. Go to Nexus Mods and search for them youself.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

While the Xbox One is my preferred system to game on for the reasons that I previously stated I do pick up and enjoy the other systems.

- Sony for their first party and other third party exclusives

- Nintendo for their fantastic first party games along with the Switch’s portability factor

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

XB1 - mainly because of the superior controller and Halo/Gears/Forza. And backward compatibility has become very important to me too, and Gamepass will be important to me in the future.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By commander

@madrocketeer said:
@commander said:

I'm not sure how mods work on the VR version - or even if they work at all.

For me personally, on the base non-VR versions, I usually start with the Unofficial Patches, and then fire up TES5Edit to clean up the archives. Seriously, it turned out Bethesda made a lot of editing errors to their game (especially Dawnguard), which resulted in a bunch of weirdness - such as Nirya following me around the College and such - and once I learned to clean them up with TES5Edit, the weirdness disappeared completely.

SkyUI is popular, and for good reason. I personally don't use it because I like to "make do." One thing I did appreciate was the clock widget that shows the in-game time of day. Very useful for Better Vampires mod below. This requires SKSE.

What I do use is DynDoLOD, which generates new LOD objects for the game and makes the far landscape look much better. This also requires SKSE.

And then I get to the gameplay stuff. Better Vampires add so much to the vampire gameplay, such as reverse progression, sun damage, and making your own blood potions. I don't play a vampire character without it. Speaking of vampires, I also use "Dawnguard No Vampire Attacks" to stop those annoying Vampire attacks in cities. I'll do the Dawnguard quest at my own time, thank you very much.

And of course, items, weapons, gear, cool stuff. I do use a body mod, but only because many armours and clothing are designed for custom bodies now. I use UNP, which I find more conservatively-shaped, instead of the more well-known CBBE. I'm pretty sure I use a few more mods than those, but that's all I can think off the top of my head for now. YMMV, of course.

Sorry, no links. There are two versions (standard and Special Edition) for many of these mods, so I can't be bothered looking them all up. Go to Nexus Mods and search for them youself.

well pretty much all special edition mods work for vr. The vr version is pretty much the special edition.

I should have mentioned I was more looking for a graphical mod. That dynolod mod defenitely sounds interesting. Never heard of it, mostly people talk about skyrim textures, better water, majestic mountains and stuff like that.

Armor mods are not really that interesting, since you can't see yourself in vr, which is kind of a bummer. Allthough I think there might be a mod for that.

A gore mod would be great, fallout 4 vr is in that regard defenitely better than skyrim.

Also, if you like skyrim that much, you should defenitely try the vr version. It's pretty much the best I've ever played. and that is with head and shoulders above anything else I've ever played.

It might require some fitness though, the cave with the alik'r was an epic sword fight that made me sore for a couple of days. I do play on expert though, and I wasn't really that high level when I entered that cave.

Still, it's an epic experience, getting down on your knees and looking around anxiously if no one sees you when you're going to pick a lock really makes you feel sorry for anyone that doesn't have a decent vr setup.

motion sickness isn't really an excuse, I am very sensitive to it but teleport and good enough hardware nullifies it. Besides, teleport and battlemage, or vampire for that matter is a match made in heaven.

Avatar image for masonshoemocker
masonshoemocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By masonshoemocker
Member since 2003 • 740 Posts

Xbox

Controller, Xbox Live, OS, User Interface. Also, I think I'm one of the few out there that think having AA batteries is a good thing. You get some rechargeable eneloops and your set. Back in the game just like that. With the Playstation, you need to go wired and/or have a backup controller. I also prefer to play most multiplayer shooters on console due to cheaters on PC unless it has a good anti-cheater/ban system then I'll play it on PC such as Overwatch & Fortnite. Not as many cheaters in those two games.

PC

For the most part, if I can get the game on PC, I buy it here because it's the best version other than shooters. So like the Fallout series, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, etc. I got a GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid. I gotta put that thing to use.

Playstation

First Party Exclusives!

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

PC is by far my favorite. More games, cheaper games, free online, best BC, mods, customization, upgradability, control choice, better graphics, detail and framerates. I grew up a console gamer, built a PC last year, have never settled for less since unless console exclusive

Next is Sony for their console exclusive games that I like

Then Nintendo for the same reason

Lastly is Microsoft, they have a decent controller, online, and some features, ill give them that. However, I have never cared for any of their games except Halo way back in the day. IMO, Playstation has pretty much caught up with their controller and online (btw u can easily use a xbone controller on ps4 or get a 3rd party with same stick layout) and ive always liked PS games more. Also, xbox games are going to PC now so i literally have no reason to buy another Xbox so they are dead last for me

Avatar image for logicallizard07
logicallizard07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 logicallizard07
Member since 2015 • 325 Posts

Ever since I have had kids, Nintendo has had the go to console. The other consoles have very few couch coop or even kid friendly games.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

Jumped ship to the PC because MS are pricks this gen. Wasted a load of money on the Xbox One, then cut my loses and got rid of it the day after e3 2016 when MS said they were going multiplat with their games.

I already had a PC which was decent, just needed a few minor upgrades and a graphics card. I chose the GTX 750 Ti, just so I could get a taste for PC gaming without blowing my wallet, and it blew me away. So many cheap games and 60fps gaming on most games. And honestly, it's a myth that you need an expensive graphics card for PC gaming. The GTX 750 Ti, was able to max a lot of games out at 60fps on a single monitor.