What are the best games you can beat in a day?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 32538 Posts

I'm going with just about any Metal Gear Solid game except for 5 lol.. but if I had to pick one, it's the original. Still one of the best games ever, and the story will have you hooked from beginning to end. If you skip cut scenes, you can probably beat it in like 4-5 hours. With cut scenes, it's maybe 8 or 9 hours. But if this is your first time playing, maybe add an hour or two. So that's my recommendation. What's yours?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 20804 Posts

So many great 8 and 16 bit games to consider.

But first game that comes to mind is Bayo 2, can comfortably clear that game in a day. Games like Bayo 1 or NGB would have to rush it.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner: what up, Conan! Bayonetta 2.. I thought that was longer than the first game.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 7675 Posts

Mirror's Edge

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 20937 Posts

The most recent ones that come to mind are Katana Zero & Ape Out... great games with awesome gameplay.

Also What Remains of Edith Finch & Gone Home.

faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 faponte13
Member since 2013 • 212 Posts

Super hot vr

Furi

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

A good chunk of my favorite games are older 8 bit and 16 bit games that can be beat in less than an hour.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 16581 Posts

Like others have said, many of the 8 and 16 bit favorites. I guess it's technically true that 10 hour+ games still qualify, but there's no way in hell I'd do that any more, who I'd highlight Indies that are more bitesized. Plowed through a round with Into The Breach this morning. Every minute is worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: MGS was average dude, and yes I played it on my PS1 and beat it, only after the power went out and I had to do the last boss again :(

You're shilling of MGS is almost as bad as casual4ever and his shilling of Doom.

My all time favourite game you could beat in a day would have to be Streets of Rage 2, a game where I beat at least 100 times.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 35564 Posts

Many SNES and arcade games come to mind such as:

• Sparkster
  • Contra III
  • Final Fight games
  • Mega Man and Mega Man X games
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games

If a game takes longer the 6 hours It’ll probably take me more then a day to play through it, comfortably at least.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 12422 Posts

Probably Game Dev Story. Idk I just really loved replaying that game. For a game from way back 1998 it surprisingly holds up well.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 7635 Posts

I would say over 90% are from generations long past. I'm talking NES, SNES, MS, GEN and other consoles and games during that time.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 20804 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@ConanTheStoner: what up, Conan! Bayonetta 2.. I thought that was longer than the first game.

Sup bro! Yeah, not absolutely sure, just seems the 2nd game is shorter by a couple of hrs.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WitIsWisdom
@doomnukem3d said:

A good chunk of my favorite games are older 8 bit and 16 bit games that can be beat in less than an hour.

Kind of like your avatar. Great franchise and I've beaten a few of the games 100's of times. As a matter of fact, I have old video of myself beating Contra and Super C with one life each with the controller upside down and backwards behind my back... you could say I played those games a few times. I've beaten Contra III more times than I can remember as well, but I'm not so sure I've ever beat the game with one life, and never attempted the tricks I used on the other 2..

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Day of the tentacle can be beaten in 15 minutes if you know all the steps, but for first time players expect 6 hrs or so. One of my most favorite games.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DoomNukem3D

@i_p_daily: Does he normally shill MGS or are you just going at him for praising the game too much? Also Doom is fantastic. Personally I really wanted to like Streets of rage 2 but I dont get the praise though I've played arcade beat em ups on mame like the original Final Fight and Cadliacs and Dinosaurs and enjoyed those a lot more.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DoomNukem3D

@WitIsWisdom: Lol I love all those games but damn I'm nowhere near that good. Contra III in particular kicks my ass especially once I make it to that wall robot boss.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WitIsWisdom

@doomnukem3d said:

@WitIsWisdom: Lol I love all those games but damn I'm nowhere near that good. Contra III in particular kicks my ass especially once I make it to that wall robot boss.

Those games mean a lot to me because other than RBI Baseball they were a couple of the only games that my dad would occasionally play with me. Even my sister had the end sequences memorized once the words popped up at the end of the games... lol. I haven't beat any other games nearly as much as those two or attempted such crazy things with.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DoomNukem3D

@WitIsWisdom: Yeah they're awesome! I wish I owned them as a kid but I actually got into them really late. It's a shame because they've really become some of my favorite games, just always fun and challenging to play. Wish I grew up with them. Had an nes but theirs several big classics we surprisingly didnt own.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Super hot is a few hours long and I have beaten that several times in one sitting! Great game:)

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WitIsWisdom

@doomnukem3d said:

@WitIsWisdom: Yeah they're awesome! I wish I owned them as a kid but I actually got into them really late. It's a shame because they've really become some of my favorite games, just always fun and challenging to play. Wish I grew up with them. Had an nes but theirs several big classics we surprisingly didnt own.

That's cool man. Like I always tell my kids, wife, and other collectors, it doesn't matter when you play a game, it you have never played it it's NEW to YOU and can become on of your favorite games regardless of when you first played it.

I grew up during the end of the Atari 2600 and start of the NES into the SNES. I remember one day as a kid I counted with a buddy of mine that I owned over 100 NES games and around 60 SNES games.

I have grown that collection today to over half of each respective library.

I got injured in Iraq in 2007 and a doctor I talked to suggested that I get a hobby... since I collected as a kid and enjoyed gaming so much I started collecting seriously around that time. My parents had held onto all my old games and gave them to me when I returned after retiring from the USMC, and I have made it a goal to collect since then. I didn't really look at is as collecting when I was a kid, it was just all about the games. Hell, it's still the same now, but now I also enjoy the thrill of the hunt. For those reasons I have never ran into a game that I truly despise, and can find worthwhile features in every game I have ever played, even if it's only because they made me laugh out of the bad design or controls.

It's also why I am what people call a manitcore around these parts and own, play, and collect for all platforms.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@doomnukem3d said:

@i_p_daily: Does he normally shill MGS or are you just going at him for praising the game too much? Also Doom is fantastic. Personally I really wanted to like Streets of rage 2 but I dont get the praise though I've played arcade beat em ups on mame like the original Final Fight and Cadliacs and Dinosaurs and enjoyed those a lot more.

Its one of his favourite games and when he makes topics about games from the past he brings it up when he gets the chance (he's has another MGS franchise thread up lol) and its an average game at best.

As for Final Fight, well it was ok but just felt boring to play, I finished it and was done with it. Never played Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (what a weird name) but from what I saw it looks as bad as something like Two Crude Dudes lol.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3346 Posts

RE2 Remake.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 46372 Posts

Most of the original Shinobi games.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidGame_basic

@i_p_daily: you're just mad that MGS doesn't have a racing mode

Cybuster_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26 Cybuster_88
Member since 2019 • 63 Posts

The original Link's Awakening, Metroid Fusion, Mega Man Zero 3 or 4.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 1750 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: OXENFREE!

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 8009 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Metal Gear Solid 4 - best game ever made :)

but beating it in a day... Not really possible unless you skip the 9 hours of cut-scenes. I think I average around 12-15 hours per playthrough with about 6 being a rush.

Then there's The Last of Us - takes about 13-15 hours but I think my fastest run through is 9 hours.