What are some of your favorite video game stories?

• 56 results
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14741 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Jag85 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Classic Tomb Raider was an attempt to adapt the 2D Prince of Persia formula into 3D. Classic TR had well-designed puzzles, levels, and platforming, but was let down by issues like slow pacing, tank controls and weak combat. Issues which were eventually resolved by the true 3D POP successor, Sands of Time, which made classic TR obsolete.

More recent games you could compare Prince of Persia to are games that it influenced, e.g Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham, Uncharted, God of War, Spider-Man, Mirror's Edge, etc. These games have borrowed mechanics from Prince of Persia, e.g. its parkour platforming mechanics and melee combat system. For example, the so-called "Batman Arkham" melee combat system originated from Sands of Time. However, POP's core puzzle-platforming gameplay is still unique. Which is probably more comparable to Portal 2.

The Sands of Time doesn't really need a remake. It's still a great game today. Unless you mean a HD remaster. In which case, there was a HD version for the PS3, and the PC version can already be played in HD.

Sands of Time is on sale for $3 and change on GOG. Can't go wrong at that price lol. I picked it up.

That's a sweet offer.

@xantufrog said:

One issue I have is the distinction between good story and good storytelling. Some of my votes are more about one or the other, not necessarily both, and I could probably write a looong list if it's a matter of appreciating storytelling mechanics regardless of whether the story itself is noteworthy (e.g., I didn't love the Pillars of Eternity story, but the game had a thoughtful way of delivering it)

I'd add a third category: characterization.

Maybe it could fall under storytelling, but I'd class it as its own thing. I'd argue that the characterization is the most important part of a story and/or storytelling.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 20951 Posts
  • Ace Attorney 1-3, 6
  • Yakuza 0, 2, 6, Ishin, Kenzan, Dead Souls
  • Judgement
  • Shenmue I & II
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Steins; Gate
  • Witcher 3
  • Persona 3 & 5
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Nier: Automata
  • KOTOR
  • Chrono Trigger
IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#53 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 3624 Posts

Ocarina of Time will always hold a place from a nostalgia standpoint.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was a hot pile of incredible nonsense.

Last of Us is great.

Bioshock.

Despite the many, many overambitious flaws, Bioshock: Infinite was interesting and engaging up until the end.

Grand Theft Auto IV

Mass Effect 2

Titanfall 2: Pour one out for BT

Halo 3: Wake me, when you need me.

And the best video game storytelling has ever been: Portal 2.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 3624 Posts
@xantufrog said:

One issue I have is the distinction between good story and good storytelling. Some of my votes are more about one or the other, not necessarily both, and I could probably write a looong list if it's a matter of appreciating storytelling mechanics regardless of whether the story itself is noteworthy (e.g., I didn't love the Pillars of Eternity story, but the game had a thoughtful way of delivering it)

Planescape Torment

TLOU

Detroit Become Human

The Last Guardian

Chrono Trigger

Grim Fandango

the Myst series

Zork graphical games (e.g., Grand Inquisitor and Nemesis)

Dude. I totally forgot about Myst. What a bananas time in gaming that was.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

#55  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14741 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: I knew I was forgetting something! Phoenix Wright is definitely one of my top 10 favourite video game stories.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#56 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 13093 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: I love those games - I'm actually playing through Myst 3 right now because GoG had it for dirt cheap.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#57 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 29872 Posts

What Remains of Edith Finch is brilliant.