What affects your system preference?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ptolemaueus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Ptolemaueus
Member since 2006 • 947 Posts

What affects your preference in system?  Is it graphics/horsepower?  Extra features and design (the design of the console itself and the design of the controller?  Games?  The company (will you not buy a certain console because it's made by a certain company or will you only buy a certain console because it's made by a certain company?)  All of the above?

For me, it's about the games.  A console could have the best graphics in the world, but if it has crappy games I won't buy it.  I like a certain type of videogames, which is why I go with Nintendo consoles and Xboxes; I like action adventures, shooters of all types, and platformers.

What do you guys think?

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#2 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
Games take up most of my decision but I also have to look at everything else.  Company is probably the least important to me because I know they're just here to make money, not to care about me or other consumers but I take into consideration which companies I've had trouble with in the past.
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 project343
Member since 2005 • 14106 Posts
The location of BioWare's home platform. :D (in this case, the Xbox 360)
Ptolemaueus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ptolemaueus

Games take up most of my decision but I also have to look at everything else.  Company is probably the least important to me because I know they're just here to make money, not to care about me or other consumers but I take into consideration which companies I've had trouble with in the past.Tiefster

Yeah, same here.  I look at everything, but most of it's games.

On a side note, people who vote in the poll: please post in order to keep the thread alive!

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts
Games, nothing more, the other crap is a bonus.
Ptolemaueus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ptolemaueus

The location of BioWare's home platform. :D (in this case, the Xbox 360)project343

Heck yeah!  Bioware's awesome.

Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts

[QUOTE="project343"]The location of BioWare's home platform. :D (in this case, the Xbox 360)Ptolemaueus

Heck yeah!  Bioware's awesome.

They sure are. So games is my answer, with Bioware's games being some of the most important.
FearlessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 FearlessSpirit
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
To sum up:

Graphics/Power
Large amount of great games
Great online
Achievements

Yeah, I just really had to list achievements. It has now become the main reason that is keeping me from getting a Wii.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#9 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

[QUOTE="project343"]The location of BioWare's home platform. :D (in this case, the Xbox 360)Ptolemaueus

Heck yeah! Bioware's awesome.

I like Bioware games on PC moreso than on consoles.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
Games, controller, support, price, and durability.
Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts
I put all of the above, though the main thing is the games. I love action/'adventure, so its psWii for me. I need my Zelda, Jak, and Mario. :P
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#12 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

It's most definitely the games that make the decision of which console I like.  And last generation I jumped around so much whenever I was playing a game, that all 3 (PS2, Xbox and GC) were awesome.  PS2 had Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid, Xbox had Halo and Fable, and the GC had Zelda and Metroid. 

Games are also the reason I have not bought a current-gen system yet.  Not because there aren't any good games for the systems, but because there are an equal amount of games for each of them that I want so I can't decide which I would be better off with getting.  I'm swaying towards the PS3 at the moment because of FFvsXIII and MGS4, but the 360 will have Halo 3, Fable 2, and Mass Effect, and the Wii will have SSBB. (note there are more games for each of those systems, just listed a few.)

hikari33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 hikari33
Member since 2005 • 753 Posts

games for sure

I like rpg,FPS, and strategy games

thats why i own a ps2 and a pc

i prefer the pc for FPS's over the x-box 360 anyday and same with playing online

ssbfalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ssbfalco
Member since 2005 • 1970 Posts
Games games games games games games and games... Did I mention Games? However, Cost is the deciding factor of which system I get first... Hence, I have a Wii now... I would have had a 360 already but ever since I heard that an imba model is going to be released soon, I decided to wait and not get shafted like with my laptop... Been playing both consoles of a while now... love them all... PS3 obviously will be the last to be gotten... I'm having so much fun with the Wii and 360 (despite not owning one yet...) that I'm not sure I'll even need a PS3...
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Most of the time it is the games.
ozma523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ozma523
Member since 2006 • 350 Posts
games thats why i dont play my psp anymore
ssbfalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ssbfalco
Member since 2005 • 1970 Posts
games thats why i dont play my psp anymoreozma523
Comeon... you got Metal Gear Solid Acid... That's a great game... I borrowed a friend's PSP just to play that...
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rashpal
Member since 2004 • 3781 Posts

What affects your preference in system?  Is it graphics/horsepower?  Extra features and design (the design of the console itself and the design of the controller?  Games?  The company (will you not buy a certain console because it's made by a certain company or will you only buy a certain console because it's made by a certain company?)  All of the above?

For me, it's about the games.  A console could have the best graphics in the world, but if it has crappy games I won't buy it.  I like a certain type of videogames, which is why I go with Nintendo consoles and Xboxes; I like action adventures, shooters of all types, and platformers.

What do you guys think?

Ptolemaueus
My console of choice decision making has changed over the years. Last gen I had all four. The gen before that I was very much a fanboy and so only bought hardware by the particular manufacturer I was interested in. This gen it's changed again. I imagine I'll eventually own all three currently contending the top spot, but to begin with it's very much about technology and the philosphy behind that technology. Lets get real here; not one of us realistically believes the three won't be able to deliver on the games and it's with that in mind that I've been more interested in where the various manfacturers want to take us with their products. It's in that regard I feel Microsoft is the least appealing. Yes they have a fantastic console that currently delivers a solid gaming experience for the dedicated gamer. Yes the online aspect of their service is also appealing and clearly they have aspirations to expand beyond that, but I don't feel their hardware is best suited to meet their high ambitions. The harddrive for example isn't an ideal solution for their HD movie download service. Nor is the lack of HDMI for the impending HDCP protect on HDDVD discs. Then of course there's the impression that Microsoft's product is a little too focused on the hardcore to branch out to a mainstream market. There is the argument the it's about the games and yes that is true: with a year to find it's feet Microsoft are finally delivering the content to justify the investment in their console, but that appeal is predominately focused towards and clear to the gamer. To a wider less dedicated and more mainstream market those virtues may be less apparent. That's what I believe differentiates Ninty and Sony from Microsoft. Both japanese manufacturers have a solid philosophy to further expand and broaden gaming's appeal supported by hardware to make that possible. So in the end it's none of the above. For me it's about technology and the philosophy behind it.