Welcome to the lowest stages of Hell. Nintendo Switch Hogwarts Legacy DF Analysis!

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

40362

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 40362 Posts

They felt so bad about this version, they decided to compare it to the Xbone S from 2013, a system that was released almost half a decade before the Switch was even available.

For portability, we ruin everything, and that is OK.

  1. Bunch of additional loading screens added to the game because the system can't handle 3D visuals. Loading screens can be over 40 seconds long.
  1. Completely featureless water texture that is on par with what we've seen during the 5th generation of consoles.
  1. Addional walls added to areas that shows demanding vistas because the system is simply incapable of compuiting polys on screen.
  1. 360-576p resolution with no AA, offering us the chunkiest and ugliest picture that is achievable by a gaming system.
  1. Average FPS is in the mid 20's with a ton of stutters. Portable gaming ftw!
  1. DF: "One of the most heavily downgraded Switch ports we've seen"

HOW CAN ONE EVEN CONSIDER MOBILE GAMING AS "GAMING"? Jesus Christ. Should be considered as eyes and brain torture.

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

17985

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 227

User Lists: 0

#2 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17985 Posts

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

11282

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11282 Posts

Oh Lord, ya'll MY EYES! What did they do?!

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

3769

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

That is indeed sickening.

Avatar image for eni232
ENI232

1007

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

You expected something better??? Just shows you how much Nintendo is overcharging for the switch.

Avatar image for nnoyinghusband
NNoyingHusband

1049

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1049 Posts

Does anyone care? The gaming industry already forgot about this game by snubbing it at the award shows.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

40362

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 40362 Posts

@eni232 said:

You expected something better??? Just shows you how much Nintendo is overcharging for the switch.

My expections for the Switch are in the negatives. What bothers me is that people have the audacity of even calling the Switch as a gaming system. What kind of respectable gaming system would even release games that run in the low to mid 20's fps at pretty much all time? Like, HELLO? Does anyone have standards out there? Or do they know that the massive majority of those using the system, are mostly children that wouldn't know any better, so they just yolo everything at sub 30fps? I mean, you look at the left side of the first picture above, and its real hard to distinguish these visuals to the original resident evil on the ps1.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

40362

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#8 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 40362 Posts

@nnoyinghusband said:

Does anyone care? The gaming industry already forgot about this game by snubbing it at the award shows.

Yes, this game in particular, i am sure that a ton of people care. Harry Potter is great for kids, and their experience might very well be traumatizing.

Avatar image for omegamaster
omegaMaster

3499

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3499 Posts

Looks terrible. 40 quid for that. No thank you.

Avatar image for kathaariancode
KathaarianCode

3546

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3546 Posts

Cool seeing all the changes.

Avatar image for robertos
Robertos

1071

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11 Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1071 Posts

lol Nintendo's only purpose seems to be releasing "Exclusives" for PC to emulate at 60-120fps 4K.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

16631

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16631 Posts

@hardwenzen: why are you hating on the switch version being worse than the Xbox one version?

The switch is on par with the Xbox 360, which is already known. It's a handheld afterall, and it was released in 2017. It's only warner bros fault for releasing the game on switch in the first place. Imagine being so greedy, you butcher your game by 2 generations, just to reach that 150 million switch owners. 💸 💰 💸

Warner Bros...for the share holders. Keep making your 🤡 threads though.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

40362

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 40362 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: why are you hating on the switch version being worse than the Xbox one version?

The switch is on par with the Xbox 360, which is already known. It's a handheld afterall, and it was released in 2017. It's only warner bros fault for releasing the game on switch in the first place. Imagine being so greedy, you butcher your game by 2 generations, just to reach that 150 million switch owners. 💸 💰 💸

Warner Bros...for the share holders. Keep making your 🤡 threads though.

And they're charging what, $350 for it? At the end of 2023?😂That should answer all your questions😂

Avatar image for ghostofgolden
GhostOfGolden

2723

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#14 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2723 Posts

It needs to be stressed that those comparisons are Switch vs Xbox One S not Series S. Holy hell lmao.

My wife plays the game on PS5. It looks and runs meh there. But nothing like this Switch monstrosity. If only I could get her on PC… 🤔

Avatar image for Willy105
Willy105

26128

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#15 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26128 Posts

Only part that really sticks out to me is the structural changes, such as separating the open world into separate segments with loading times inbetween.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

40362

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#16 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 40362 Posts

@ghostofgolden said:

It needs to be stressed that those comparisons are Switch vs Xbox One S not Series S. Holy hell lmao.

My wife plays the game on PS5. It looks and runs meh there. But nothing like this Switch monstrosity. If only I could get her on PC… 🤔

What's the issue? Just plug it into your tv, give her a controller, and its just a ps5 2.0.

Avatar image for SOedipus
SOedipus

14843

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#17 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14843 Posts

@ghostofgolden said:

It needs to be stressed that those comparisons are Switch vs Xbox One S not Series S. Holy hell lmao.

My wife plays the game on PS5. It looks and runs meh there. But nothing like this Switch monstrosity. If only I could get her on PC… 🤔

lmao

Avatar image for mesome713
Mesome713

7239

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#18 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7239 Posts

Its actually pretty impressive they got it to run so well on a CPU heavy game when Switch has such a low CPU. Even modern consoles struggle to run this game. Even high end computers pop in issues and screen stutters etc. This is a welcome port amoung some of the best to release on Switch.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

40362

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#19 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 40362 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Its actually pretty impressive they got it to run so well on a CPU heavy game when Switch has such a low CPU. Even modern consoles struggle to run this game. Even high end computers pop in issues and screen stutters etc. This is a welcome port amoung some of the best to release on Switch.

Who are you kidding exactly? I can't even tell what the **** is on the screen🤣This is worse than Pokemon and Bayo3😂

Please Nintendo, stick to 2D side scrollers.

Avatar image for silentchief
Silentchief

7194

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Silentchief  Online
Member since 2021 • 7194 Posts

I actually never really cared about this game because I was never a huge " Harry Potter" fan. My wife rarely plays games, however my wife loves " Harry Potter" so I thought about buying the game for her. She saw a trailer a few months ago and begged me to buy it.

I have my PS5/XSX and Switch in my game room but I didn't want to move my PS5 or XSX into our bedroom. So I asked her if she would want it on the Switch and showed her a comparison video against the PS5 version. She told me just to wait till I was willing to move the PS5 into the bedroom.

This is coming from a women who hasn't played a game outside of " Mario Kart" in probably 8 years.

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

19754

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19754 Posts

Looks like PS2 graphics.

Avatar image for osan0
osan0

17905

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#22 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17905 Posts

Just watched the DF video there and their summary is correct. The port itself is good given the constraints the developer is working under. They did a good job.

But it's a PS5 game being ported to a PS3. The switch is what it is: It's a portable PS3/360 basically. A bit more powerful but not much more so. The game is just a bridge too far.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

70899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#23 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70899 Posts

A game looking and performing worse on a weaker system? That is totally unexpected.🤭

Avatar image for mesome713
Mesome713

7239

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#24 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7239 Posts

@osan0: Yeah, all the analyzers have said the same thing, they were highly impressed by how well they ported it. The developer did an amazing job.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

40362

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#25 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 40362 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@osan0: Yeah, all the analyzers have said the same thing, they were highly impressed by how well they ported it. The developer did an amazing job.

Avatar image for mesome713
Mesome713

7239

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#26 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7239 Posts

@hardwenzen: Bro stop being a clown, that image hasn’t focused in cause the player is to far away to see it. It an amazing technique the developer used to get better textures and avoid Poppins that plague, all the other consoles, including high-end PCs

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

40362

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#27 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 40362 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Bro stop being a clown, that image hasn’t focused in cause the player is to far away to see it. It an amazing technique the developer used to get better textures and avoid Poppins that plague, all the other consoles, including high-end PCs

Its the ugliest game i have ever seen in my life. Lords of the Ring Gollum looks like an AAA in comparison.

Avatar image for silentchief
Silentchief

7194

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#28 Silentchief  Online
Member since 2021 • 7194 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Bro stop being a clown, that image hasn’t focused in cause the player is to far away to see it. It an amazing technique the developer used to get better textures and avoid Poppins that plague, all the other consoles, including high-end PCs

Better Textures then what? This looks horrible in comparison to the PS5/XSX versions.

Avatar image for pixievalerie
pixieValerie

372

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 5

#29 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 372 Posts

It looks pretty impressive with what they were able to accomplish. Probably something I might grab down the line in a sale.

Avatar image for The_Deepblue
The_Deepblue

1484

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#30 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Honestly, none of those screenshots look good, not even the Xbox ones.

And obviously, I would not play this game on Switch. The console has had a large share of excellently running, visually impressive games. Super Mario Bros. Wonder is its most recent eye candy. Switch is “underpowered” and has some age on it, but it doesn’t have anything to prove performance-wise in any way.

Avatar image for mesome713
Mesome713

7239

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7239 Posts

@silentchief: The nice textures don’t load till you get up close. This clown is posting unloaded textures on a 7 year old handheld, it’s embarrassing slander on the worlds greatest gaming device ever know to mankind.

We don’t call them Clown Cow for nothing.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

40362

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#32 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 40362 Posts

@The_Deepblue said:

Honestly, none of those screenshots look good, not even the Xbox ones.

And obviously, I would not play this game on Switch. The console has had a large share of excellently running, visually impressive games. Super Mario Bros. Wonder is its most recent eye candy. Switch is “underpowered” and has some age on it, but it doesn’t have anything to prove performance-wise in any way.

Because those are Xbone S screenshots. Why would it look good on a system that was a meme from day one, especially since we have the XboneX, Series S and Series X as an upgrade to it? From the Nintendo side, we have zero upgrades, and that's what's pathetic.

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

34860

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#33 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34860 Posts

Was designed for new hardware, then ported to hardware that has been weak since even before it released in 2017. They didn't make any form of changes to the visuals except downgrading everything/flat out removing shit to a playable state. It looks exactly as you'd think that would look.

They could've made it look good by changing the artstyle to something the Switch could handle with acceptable clarity and frame rate. Or they could've made a different game tailored for the hardware it's for, like developers often did in the past. But these things would take effort.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

70899

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#34 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70899 Posts

@Litchie said:

Was designed for new hardware, then ported to hardware that has been weak since even before it released in 2017. They didn't make any form of changes to the visuals except downgrading everything/flat out removing shit to a playable state. It looks exactly as you'd think that would look.

They could've made it look good by changing the artstyle to something the Switch could handle with acceptable clarity and frame rate. Or they could've made a different game tailored for the hardware it's for, like developers often did in the past. But these things would take effort.

Not sure if I am reading your implication correctly. Are you implying that this port didn't take effort?

Avatar image for SecretPolice
SecretPolice

44393

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44393 Posts

I can't believe they're still porting games to the N64. lol :P

Avatar image for davillain
DaVillain

56613

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#36 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56613 Posts

Jokes on you TC as I only purchase Switch exclusives and 3rd-party games aren't one of them. That's reserved for PC only hence Hogwarts Legacy looks freaking amazing on PC😉

@Jag85 said:

Looks like PS2 graphics.

Naaa, PS2 had way better graphics than that. Those pics are from the N64 graphics days.

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

17985

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 227

User Lists: 0

#37 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17985 Posts

Stop defending shit ports. This port should have never been made. Do not buy it or even attempt to play it. Accept that Switch has shit hardware and stick to potato games on the device.

Avatar image for davillain
DaVillain

56613

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#38 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56613 Posts

@BassMan said:

Stop defending shit ports. This port should have never been made. Do not buy it or even attempt to play it. Accept that Switch has shit hardware and stick to potato games on the device.

Nintendo Switch - Exclusives only.

3rd-party games - PC only.

This type of shit should have been on everyone's mind by now. Switch hardware is ancient as hell.

Avatar image for Heil68
Heil68

60724

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#39 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60724 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

I can't believe they're still porting games to the N64. lol :P

lol, poor Nintendo, laughing stock of industry..lol

Avatar image for rewgle
Rewgle

414

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#40 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 414 Posts
@davillain said:
@BassMan said:

Stop defending shit ports. This port should have never been made. Do not buy it or even attempt to play it. Accept that Switch has shit hardware and stick to potato games on the device.

Nintendo Switch - Exclusives only.

3rd-party games - PC only.

This type of shit should have been on everyone's mind by now. Switch hardware is ancient as hell.

That's a pretty fair rule of thumb. Except I would say 3rd-party games PC, XBox and PS. (I don't give a bone about PC gaming.)

The Switch does surprisingly good for what it is with system exclusives. That said, I really hope its successor is at least on par with the XBox One and PS4 in terms of power and graphics.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

40362

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#41 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 40362 Posts

@davillain said:
@BassMan said:

Stop defending shit ports. This port should have never been made. Do not buy it or even attempt to play it. Accept that Switch has shit hardware and stick to potato games on the device.

Nintendo Switch - Exclusives only.

3rd-party games - PC only.

This type of shit should have been on everyone's mind by now. Switch hardware is ancient as hell.

Why are you playing Nintendo exclusives in 17fps when you can emulate them?

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

44800

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#42  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44800 Posts

Doesn’t affect me one way or the other. 🤷‍♂️

Avatar image for loudheadphones
loudheadphones

1246

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#43 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1246 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
Loading Video...

They felt so bad about this version, they decided to compare it to the Xbone S from 2013, a system that was released almost half a decade before the Switch was even available.

For portability, we ruin everything, and that is OK.

  1. Bunch of additional loading screens added to the game because the system can't handle 3D visuals. Loading screens can be over 40 seconds long.
  1. Completely featureless water texture that is on par with what we've seen during the 5th generation of consoles.
  1. Addional walls added to areas that shows demanding vistas because the system is simply incapable of compuiting polys on screen.
  1. 360-576p resolution with no AA, offering us the chunkiest and ugliest picture that is achievable by a gaming system.
  1. Average FPS is in the mid 20's with a ton of stutters. Portable gaming ftw!
  1. DF: "One of the most heavily downgraded Switch ports we've seen"

HOW CAN ONE EVEN CONSIDER MOBILE GAMING AS "GAMING"? Jesus Christ. Should be considered as eyes and brain torture.

Naaah. This is an ugliest champion on Switch. And love the intro music from Jurassic Park. LOL

Loading Video...

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

40362

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#44 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 40362 Posts

@loudheadphones said:
@hardwenzen said:
Loading Video...

They felt so bad about this version, they decided to compare it to the Xbone S from 2013, a system that was released almost half a decade before the Switch was even available.

For portability, we ruin everything, and that is OK.

  1. Bunch of additional loading screens added to the game because the system can't handle 3D visuals. Loading screens can be over 40 seconds long.
  1. Completely featureless water texture that is on par with what we've seen during the 5th generation of consoles.
  1. Addional walls added to areas that shows demanding vistas because the system is simply incapable of compuiting polys on screen.
  1. 360-576p resolution with no AA, offering us the chunkiest and ugliest picture that is achievable by a gaming system.
  1. Average FPS is in the mid 20's with a ton of stutters. Portable gaming ftw!
  1. DF: "One of the most heavily downgraded Switch ports we've seen"

HOW CAN ONE EVEN CONSIDER MOBILE GAMING AS "GAMING"? Jesus Christ. Should be considered as eyes and brain torture.

Naaah. This is an ugliest champion on Switch. And love the intro music from Jurassic Park. LOL

Loading Video...

When it was first released, yes. But i've heard they've updated it the visuals by a good amount on the Switch.

Avatar image for davillain
DaVillain

56613

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#45 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56613 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Why are you playing Nintendo exclusives in 17fps when you can emulate them?

Cause I need time to burn during my launch break after all. What? Do you think I will waste my time playing Steam Deck when I have a high-end desktop PC with 4070/5900X/32 Ram too? I'll settle for Nintendo exclusives any day pal.

@rewgle said:

That's a pretty fair rule of thumb. Except I would say 3rd-party games PC, XBox and PS. (I don't give a bone about PC gaming.)

The Switch does surprisingly good for what it is with system exclusives. That said, I really hope its successor is at least on par with the XBox One and PS4 in terms of power and graphics.

Fair argument as gaming PC isn't for everyone. At least current-gens do offer performance mode.

Avatar image for nepu7supastar7
nepu7supastar7

6773

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#46 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@hardwenzen: It actually still looks pretty playable, with all things considered. I would give it a try with price drop though. I think Switch ports of PS5 gen games should be no more that $30. You know it's going to be butchered compared to the big systems so it doesn't make sense that you'd have to pay the exact, same price.