We've failed to establish Wii U as a "worthy" Wii successor

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@david61983 said:

Looks like another Dreamcast unfortunately so I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole no matter how big of a Nintendo fan you are.

If it would be another Dreamcast, why the hell wouldn't you touch it?

Cause they ignant.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

The fact that anyone at Nintendo even thought that the Wii U could be a huge success is disturbing. At this point their best bet would be to ditch the tablet and replace with a pro controller. Then market it as a cheap machine that plays Nintendo exclusives and indies. Do that and they might sell a good amount otherwise it's Gamecube numbers at best.

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts

Why is NIntendo worried? They have Wayne Brady! The presence of this man alone will turn Wii U around into the megaton of all megatons. This will go down in history as Nintendo's greatest decision ever.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I think the key titles are really the ones in 2014. Namely, Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

Anyway, Iwata is quite hard on himself. The Wii U is a great platform. It's failing in sales, but as a platform itself, it's really unique and using it is a lot of fun. Hopefully things pick up for them in sales.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@Lumpy311 said:

Go third party and make some actual fucking new IPs, Metroid, Mario and Zelda are good, but nostalgia isn't gonna carry Nintendo.

Yeah just like Xbox...although they don't really have any good IPs...

Nah Xbox should just leave.

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

@Lucianu said:

@david61983 said:

Looks like another Dreamcast unfortunately so I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole no matter how big of a Nintendo fan you are.

If it would be another Dreamcast, why the hell wouldn't you touch it?

Cause they ignant.

It's looking like the Dreamcast in that it will soon be discontinued unless a miracle happens and sales pick up dramatically. Why would anyone pay $300 for a system that may soon be discontinued? It's far too risky. Also, the Dreamcast had a ton of good games unlike the Wii U. I bought a Dreamcast from KB Toys on launch day and spent hundreds of hours playing Crazy Taxi, Soul Caliber, NFL2k and the like so I know what the Dreamcast was.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#57 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@TheKingIAm said:

@Lucianu: Bcuz it would be discontinued in a year

The number of good games the Dreamcast managed to gather in 2 years (in NA) usually take any other console 5 - 7 years.

Soul Calibur, Shenmue I & II, Sonic Adventure I & II, Project Justice, Tech Romancer, Plasma Sword, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, Sword of The Berserk, Jet Set Radio, Daytona USA 2001, NBA 2k1, 2k2, Virtua Tennis, 2k2, Samba de Amigo, Phantasy Star Online, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2, Metropolis Street Racer, Power Stone 1 & 2, Bangai-O, F355 Challenge, SEGA GT, House of The Dead II, Street Fighter III 3rd Strike, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Bomberman Online, Capcom vs. SNK 1 & 2, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1 & 2, Mars Matrix, Border Down, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Elemental Gimmick Gear, Cannon Spike, Zero Gunner 2, Giga Wing 2, Space Channel 5, Dead or Alive 2, Under Defeat...

Shit, i can still go on.. The Typing of the Dead, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, ChuChu Rocket, Rez, Ikaruga, 4-Wheel Thunder, Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram, Super Magnetic Neo, Toy Commander, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, the best versions of Hydro Thunder, San Francisco Rush 2049, Street Fighter Alpha 3, King of Fighters 99 Dream Match, Rayman 2, ..

2 years in NA.

It's overrated now, sure, some have aged aswell and most have been ported to other systems. But just think about back then wen these games were either exclusive or vastly superior on the Dreamcast alone.

That's why a lot of people love the Dreamcast. It was the greatest console ever made in it's short 2 year lifespan, and never before have we seen such incredible graphics.

If the WiiU turns out to be yet another Dreamcast situation, i'll fucking welcome that with open arms. I couldn't care less if it only lasts one year more if it manages to gather even half of what the Dreamcast managed.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts

@Lucianu: If the wii eww gets dreamcasted, most of it's good exclusives would be ported to the other consoles

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Nintendo deserves this lesson learned the hard way. The Wii was a fad gimmick console that almost ruined gaming. To think they could coast on the coat tales of that success is hilarious. This is what happens when you use non gamers to sell your system.

They won't be around for the next one cause they never cared to begin with. They wanted the latest IT toy and wii sports for when friends came over.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

The titles and games been have been hoping for the like the past 2 years is not going to happen.
Hardware is way out of date.

Casuals have moved on, such as iOS and Android.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

my 2 cents.

Nintendo's main problems where always these. 1) needed to be more robust console in specs and should of had a higher price point or the same price point as originally had but Nintendo taking a small loss on each console. 2) Had Game droughts for months on end. 3) Advertising was poor. 4) Concentrated more on the WiiU than 3DS. 5) Not pushing 3rd parties to make games for the console, Nintendo should of at least paid for ports of Games like GTA, Bioshock, MGS revengence. 6) Paid several 3rd parties to make exclusives in the way they did with Platinum Games.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The name argument is one I have strong reservations against when using it as a reason the Wii U isn't doing well. Many systems have used titles awkwardly similar to their predecessors and they have done well. The difference here is that Nintendo felt it was up to the consumer to differentiate between the Wii and Wii U rather than using a proper advertising blitz which would eliminate any possible confusion. You just don't see many commercials for this system. I don't believe I've seen any.

The library argument is another fallacy. Plenty of top notch titles are available to play yet you rarely see any advertisements for them. Going along with that, it is hard to find certain titles in B&M stores. One, the Wii and Wii U titles are mixed together as if they were randomly pulled out of a hat and then placed on the shelves. Two, some of the big name stores have a difficult time stocking new releases. Third, there is not enough of a separation between the old and new system.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#63 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

He messed up. Might as well own up to it.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#64 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

the problem with the wii-u really is that they don't have the software to backup that system I cant name anything released at this point that would make me want one and the lackluster online integration is a turnoff. playing brawl with no communication and lag made me sell me wii

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#65  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@kemar7856 said:

the problem with the wii-u really is that they don't have the software to backup that system I cant name anything released at this point that would make me want one and the lackluster online integration is a turnoff. playing brawl with no communication and lag made me sell me wii

The Wii U online system is actually really nice. Nintendo has come a long way from their old WFC network.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

Its OK Nintendo, its just the 3rd console curse hitting you (Color TV Game barely counts as a console). Yeah it resets after the 3rd console, and now this is your second round. They had it with N64, and now its with Wii U. Sony's got 1 more console after the PS4, then BAM! PS6 gets hit with the 3rd console curse. MS is just getting hit for the first time.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@HaRmLeSS_RaGe said:

The fact that anyone at Nintendo even thought that the Wii U could be a huge success is disturbing. At this point their best bet would be to ditch the tablet and replace with a pro controller. Then market it as a cheap machine that plays Nintendo exclusives and indies. Do that and they might sell a good amount otherwise it's Gamecube numbers at best.

I agree 100%. They still have time to save the console, but they need to drop the tablet gimmick and lower the price to $199 asap...

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#68  Edited By Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts

For the sake of gaming I hope nintendo go third party soon, My lips are wet at the prospect of playing a true next gen metroid game.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

they didn't fail at anything because Wii was as pathetic as it gets. Crap system follows its big brother Master Crap System. Sure Wii was a success, success for them, not gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

A modest 4GB DDR3 of Ram, plus enough HDD space at 500GB would have at least lured more developers on to the platform, early on. Plus a clear explanation of what Nintendo wants for the WiiU would also helped.

Developers may have had the opportunity to squeeze out every ounce of power from WiiU to create modest looking games running at 1080p, and essentially, more gamers may have taken noticed.