We need more jrpg's this gen. YAY or NAY?

  • 86 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#51 Posted by jg4xchamp (61470 posts) -

Nay. While Nioh n Souls games are rad; the turn based stuff is historically shallow and Nier Auto Tomato hardly holds up as a Platinum game. Replaying Bayonetta a bunch has not done my Nier play through any favors. Let's be real one of the thing ruining action games are these stupid rpg mechanics. Especially jrpg compulsive shit.

I want more pure action or stealth games. No more filthy half-breeds

Avatar image for the_master_race
#52 Posted by the_master_race (4380 posts) -

we need better JRPGs

Avatar image for mjorh
#53 Posted by mjorh (6742 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

Nay. While Nioh n Souls games are rad; the turn based stuff is historically shallow and Nier Auto Tomato hardly holds up as a Platinum game. Replaying Bayonetta a bunch has not done my Nier play through any favors. Let's be real one of the thing ruining action games are these stupid rpg mechanics. Especially jrpg compulsive shit.

I want more pure action or stealth games. No more filthy half-breeds

Really? :( that's a bummer.

Avatar image for poe13
#54 Edited by poe13 (611 posts) -

I'm really trying to like jrpgs. I have soldiered through FF6, 7, 9, X, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Paper Mario 64, The thousand year door, and now I am making my way through Persona 5 (60 hrs in and I still have 3 palaces left, holy shit!).

So I am no stranger to the old traditional jrpg format. Yet, in each one of these games I get to a point where I just want to fuckin quit. I get so mad because I will have my team at what I would assume is a reasonably high level and yet somehow the enemies will overpower me and use confuse, fear, freeze, burn, despair, brainwash, etc... and my teammates will get destroyed. It will happen again and again until I either grind, buy more items at a shop, or just get the luck of the draw that the enemy won't use a certain element attack and I will squeeze by that breaking point fight with a sliver of health. I have had this moment in nearly all jrpgs, except Chrono Trigger, somehow that game had pretty balanced fighting and I was able to glide through that one easier than the other games.

Anyway, it always happens and it sours my overall feelings of the traditional turn-based jrpg. I hate watching my team just sit there as each member gets destroyed or overtaken by elements and it feels beyond my control. The enemy will just become OP at some point and it's all I can do not to take the disc out and smash it on the floor over and over just because I ran into an enemy where certain tactics don't work so I have to do something else. I understand this is the strategy of these games in this genre but I'm just running out of patience and frustration comes more often when I play a jrpg over any other game.

If we are talking action Jrpgs, then I am all for those because even though they are hard, Dark Souls and Bloodborne are some of my favorite games ever. I beat those games a few times and I love the combat in them, especially Bloodborne's fast fighting. Looking forward to Code Vein. But if we are talking traditional turn-based jrpgs then I'm afraid that is where I get off. I just don't overall have a fun experience with the enemy encounters at later levels.

Ugh, had to rant. Just got to the 5th palace in Persona 5 and it's fucking hard as hell. I'm not even having fun anymore. Just gotta soldier through it because I already spent 60 hrs in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
#55 Posted by deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6 (2638 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

I hate JRPG but we need them so fans of JRPG can enjoy.

respect brother.

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
#56 Posted by KungfuKitten (25071 posts) -

It feels like JRPG's have overtaken FPS as most crowded genre. At least there is a little more variety among them to offset that a little.

Avatar image for poe13
#57 Edited by poe13 (611 posts) -

I should also say that the traditional JRPGs have a certain charm about them that is absent in action/adventure games with regards to story/characters. As irritated as I get whenever I play one of them (towards the end usually), I can totally understand why Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and FF6 are usually towards the top of those "Best games of all time" lists. These characters all have different traits and backgrounds that open up as the game progresses and there is some dark subject matter in some of them. I am not being totally dismissive of this genre because at least the ones I listed previously all were written exceptionally well for me to like some/most of the characters and could get behind their motivations. Keep making these JRPGs, but I think I've had my fill of them personally.

Avatar image for cainetao11
#58 Posted by cainetao11 (33480 posts) -

Nay fvckin way

Avatar image for cainetao11
#59 Posted by cainetao11 (33480 posts) -

@rrjim1 said:

No, we need more WRPG, most JRPG just plain suck!

Booya kasha

Avatar image for Maroxad
#60 Edited by Maroxad (14692 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

Nay. While Nioh n Souls games are rad; the turn based stuff is historically shallow and Nier Auto Tomato hardly holds up as a Platinum game. Replaying Bayonetta a bunch has not done my Nier play through any favors. Let's be real one of the thing ruining action games are these stupid rpg mechanics. Especially jrpg compulsive shit.

I want more pure action or stealth games. No more filthy half-breeds

I would argue that Turn Based, at least the non-menu based stuff is the least shallow of all RPG types.

Also, you just summed up why Turn Based RPGs are the way to go ;)

Because Action RPGs are pretty much just shitty Action games. With the action elements being detrimental to the roleplaying and the "roleplaying" being detrimental to the action. More often than not they end up being button mashers rather than actual legit action games.

Avatar image for Maroxad
#61 Posted by Maroxad (14692 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac said:

I really dislike the direction most JRPGS have gone in these days. Back with turn based combat, we had complete control over all our party members and the strategy that went with that.

Please give control back to the player.

Now most JRPGs are action based and the other 3 members of your party are controlled by AI. I seriously can't stand that. Last time I tried that style of gameplay, it was Ni No Kuni and I just couldn't go through with it.

Most jRPGs didnt really have any strategy to them.

Unless you consider buff up->attack->heal when low on HP to be strategy.

I don't it doesnt require foresight and only emphasizes reacting to your current situation.

Avatar image for Boddicker
#62 Edited by Boddicker (4347 posts) -

Avatar image for WitIsWisdom
#63 Posted by WitIsWisdom (4784 posts) -

Yes, but good ones.. you know, unlike the crap we have been getting this gen.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
#64 Posted by drummerdave9099 (3439 posts) -

Dark Souls and Breath of the Wild is enough for me this gen!

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#65 Posted by jg4xchamp (61470 posts) -

@Maroxad said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Nay. While Nioh n Souls games are rad; the turn based stuff is historically shallow and Nier Auto Tomato hardly holds up as a Platinum game. Replaying Bayonetta a bunch has not done my Nier play through any favors. Let's be real one of the thing ruining action games are these stupid rpg mechanics. Especially jrpg compulsive shit.

I want more pure action or stealth games. No more filthy half-breeds

I would argue that Turn Based, at least the non-menu based stuff is the least shallow of all RPG types.

Also, you just summed up why Turn Based RPGs are the way to go ;)

Because Action RPGs are pretty much just shitty Action games. With the action elements being detrimental to the roleplaying and the "roleplaying" being detrimental to the action. More often than not they end up being button mashers rather than actual legit action games.

In terms of crpgs? Sure, no disagreement.

In terms of jrpgs? majority of the "good" ones are rubbish as hell. The actual good ones are rare as ****.

Japan is way better at action rpgs, the west is mega shit at em.

Avatar image for Maroxad
#66 Edited by Maroxad (14692 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:
@Maroxad said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Nay. While Nioh n Souls games are rad; the turn based stuff is historically shallow and Nier Auto Tomato hardly holds up as a Platinum game. Replaying Bayonetta a bunch has not done my Nier play through any favors. Let's be real one of the thing ruining action games are these stupid rpg mechanics. Especially jrpg compulsive shit.

I want more pure action or stealth games. No more filthy half-breeds

I would argue that Turn Based, at least the non-menu based stuff is the least shallow of all RPG types.

Also, you just summed up why Turn Based RPGs are the way to go ;)

Because Action RPGs are pretty much just shitty Action games. With the action elements being detrimental to the roleplaying and the "roleplaying" being detrimental to the action. More often than not they end up being button mashers rather than actual legit action games.

In terms of crpgs? Sure, no disagreement.

In terms of jrpgs? majority of the "good" ones are rubbish as hell. The actual good ones are rare as ****.

Japan is way better at action rpgs, the west is mega shit at em.

I agree.

Problem with most turn based jRPGs I see is that that most of them still play like a poor man's wizardry 1. Rather than adapting the gameplay to 21st century technology they still play like something that could have been designed in the 80s.

Avatar image for Jag85
#67 Posted by Jag85 (11369 posts) -

@poe13 said:

I should also say that the traditional JRPGs have a certain charm about them that is absent in action/adventure games with regards to story/characters. As irritated as I get whenever I play one of them (towards the end usually), I can totally understand why Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and FF6 are usually towards the top of those "Best games of all time" lists. These characters all have different traits and backgrounds that open up as the game progresses and there is some dark subject matter in some of them. I am not being totally dismissive of this genre because at least the ones I listed previously all were written exceptionally well for me to like some/most of the characters and could get behind their motivations. Keep making these JRPGs, but I think I've had my fill of them personally.

I kind of agree. Despite the cliched "saved the world" plots, the characters in some traditional JRPGs (e.g. Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FF6/FF7, Dragon Quest V, Lufia II) were well-written. Which wasn't easy to pull off when the scripts themselves were poorly translated, due to either technical limitations (e.g. SNES) or rushed jobs (e.g. FF7). Yet some of the characters were well-written enough that they managed to shine through the poor translations. And when Working Designs actually did a good job with the localizations, the writing was really good, like the witty dialogues of Lunar 1-2 or the stellar writing of Alundra (which still has some of the best video game storytelling to date).

Avatar image for frank_castle
#68 Posted by Frank_Castle (1982 posts) -

If by JRPG's you mean traditional titles like Chrono Trigger, Suikoden I & II, the Phantasy Star series, Shining Force, classic Final Fantasy....then you're goddamn right I want more of them.

Issue is modern JRPG's suck my scrotum

Avatar image for no_bo_dy_83
#69 Posted by No_bo_dy_83 (140 posts) -

We need more GOOD rpg.

Avatar image for Wasdie
#70 Posted by Wasdie (53500 posts) -

We really could use more games in all genres. No reason why genres should die.

Avatar image for valgaav_219
#71 Posted by Valgaav_219 (1446 posts) -

@Zensword said:

More please, I'm literally thirsty for jrpg on PS4.

^^This!^^

Avatar image for valgaav_219
#72 Posted by Valgaav_219 (1446 posts) -

@aigis said:

I need more Persona in my life

^^This too! Already wondering when they start development for Persona 6 or a Persona 3 Remake!^^

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#73 Posted by jg4xchamp (61470 posts) -
@Maroxad said:
@jg4xchamp said:

In terms of crpgs? Sure, no disagreement.

In terms of jrpgs? majority of the "good" ones are rubbish as hell. The actual good ones are rare as ****.

Japan is way better at action rpgs, the west is mega shit at em.

I agree.

Problem with most turn based jRPGs I see is that that most of them still play like a poor man's wizardry 1. Rather than adapting the gameplay to 21st century technology they still play like something that could have been designed in the 80s.

Mmhmm. The scenarios are lacking, the stat builds are so far out of the players control, and they are so far against punishing the player. Hell that's a good chunk of the reason SMT games are even enjoyable, what they can lack in depth, they at least make up for in keeping the player honest.

Avatar image for Star67
#74 Posted by Star67 (4229 posts) -

@Jag85 said:
@putaspongeon said:
@mmmwksil said:
@indzman said:

Jrpg's this gen are pretty much rocking in gameplay

No.

Nier Automata, Nioh, Dark SOuls 2/3, Bloodborne, Ni no Kuni 2, Yakuza 0, etc etc.

yeah.

And Persona 5, of course.

When people refer to JRPG do they refer to turn based or games made in Japan that are RPG's?

Because I don't consider Yakuza 0 or Bloodborne to be JRPG's since they aren't turn based. Or am I wrong on this?

Avatar image for glitch-
#75 Posted by Glitch- (245 posts) -

More RPGs are always a good thing.

Avatar image for drrollinstein
#76 Posted by DrRollinstein (1089 posts) -

Solid Yay. Either just japanese made ones or traditional Jrpgs.

Avatar image for Maroxad
#77 Posted by Maroxad (14692 posts) -

@Star67 said:

When people refer to JRPG do they refer to turn based or games made in Japan that are RPG's?

Because I don't consider Yakuza 0 or Bloodborne to be JRPG's since they aren't turn based. Or am I wrong on this?

Due to all the intermixing between styles as of late. The most objective criteria we have, and arguably the only objective criteria we have is to name them after country of origin.

Besides, turn based RPGs were done in the west a long time before they were done in japan. And jRPGs did both RTwP and action rpgs before the west did.

Avatar image for aigis
#78 Posted by aigis (7353 posts) -

@valgaav_219 said:
@aigis said:

I need more Persona in my life

^^This too! Already wondering when they start development for Persona 6 or a Persona 3 Remake!^^

Im not sure if P6 is happening anytime soon (probs some 5 spinoffs first), but I would really love a P3 remake

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
#79 Posted by REVOLUTIONfreak (18407 posts) -

I think there's just the right amount this when, actually. But Nier is a great example of an evolution of the genre I'd like to see more of. (Though I don't know if I'd called it a JRPG in the way people think of the term.)

Avatar image for Jag85
#80 Edited by Jag85 (11369 posts) -

@Star67 said:
@Jag85 said:
@putaspongeon said:
@mmmwksil said:

No.

Nier Automata, Nioh, Dark SOuls 2/3, Bloodborne, Ni no Kuni 2, Yakuza 0, etc etc.

yeah.

And Persona 5, of course.

When people refer to JRPG do they refer to turn based or games made in Japan that are RPG's?

Because I don't consider Yakuza 0 or Bloodborne to be JRPG's since they aren't turn based. Or am I wrong on this?

The former definition is very outdated, a relic of the SNES/PS1 eras. The latter definition is more contemporary, up-to-date with the times. Nowadays, the "traditional JRPG" (or more accurately, the "light RPG") is almost dead, with only Persona 5 keeping it alive. Nowadays, "modern JRPG" means contemporary games like Bloodborne, Souls, Yakuza, Nioh, Nier, FFXV, Monster Hunter, etc.

It makes no sense to only use "JRPG" in reference to an almost-dead genre (the "light RPG"). The definition of "JRPG" should be updated to reflect the kinds of RPGs that Japan is producing today, not the kinds of RPGs they were making one or two decades ago. If it makes it any easier, you could just use "traditional JRPG" to refer to the older styles of Japanese RPGs, while using "modern JRPG" to refer to the more contemporary RPGs coming out of Japan.

Avatar image for putaspongeon
#81 Posted by PutASpongeOn (4897 posts) -

@Star67 said:
@Jag85 said:
@putaspongeon said:
@mmmwksil said:
@indzman said:

Jrpg's this gen are pretty much rocking in gameplay

No.

Nier Automata, Nioh, Dark SOuls 2/3, Bloodborne, Ni no Kuni 2, Yakuza 0, etc etc.

yeah.

And Persona 5, of course.

When people refer to JRPG do they refer to turn based or games made in Japan that are RPG's?

Because I don't consider Yakuza 0 or Bloodborne to be JRPG's since they aren't turn based. Or am I wrong on this?

Well they are jrpg, they are japanese rpg games. It's like kpop, all pop from korea is kpop even if it doesn't sound like the most famous ones from 10 years ago.

You are wrong =w=

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#82 Edited by GoldenElementXL (1808 posts) -

Well Farpoint, a PSVR exclusive, just outsold Persona 5 in the NPDs. Anyone with business sense would stay away from JRPGs.

Avatar image for CTR360
#83 Posted by CTR360 (8528 posts) -

Yes easily

Avatar image for Jag85
#84 Posted by Jag85 (11369 posts) -
@putaspongeon said:
@Star67 said:
@Jag85 said:
@putaspongeon said:
@mmmwksil said:

No.

Nier Automata, Nioh, Dark SOuls 2/3, Bloodborne, Ni no Kuni 2, Yakuza 0, etc etc.

yeah.

And Persona 5, of course.

When people refer to JRPG do they refer to turn based or games made in Japan that are RPG's?

Because I don't consider Yakuza 0 or Bloodborne to be JRPG's since they aren't turn based. Or am I wrong on this?

Well they are jrpg, they are japanese rpg games. It's like kpop, all pop from korea is kpop even if it doesn't sound like the most famous ones from 10 years ago.

You are wrong =w=

Same goes for J-pop. The J-pop being produced today clearly doesn't sound like J-pop from the '80s or '90s.

Avatar image for smashed_pinata
#85 Posted by smashed_pinata (3747 posts) -

Oh god no.

They are the flat tire of the gaming industry

Avatar image for StormyJoe
#86 Posted by StormyJoe (7608 posts) -

@indzman: Nay.

Zero. Zero desire to play metrosexual JRPGs. They belong on PS2s.