Watched 25 minute strike mission for Destiny 2 and it amazes me how little has changed.

• 71 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@svaubel said:
@MBirdy88 said:

Sad thing is this is the closest you will likely get to a good mmo on consoles...

no developer has even attempted to make a proper MMORPG for consoles... I find that bizare... make it abit more hack n slash, but operate similar to PC ones.. could have a winner...

but this is boring slow Halo gameplay with bullet sponge enemies and nothing else. terrible.

Elder Scrolls Online and Final Fantasy 14 are both on consoles and PC.

I am well aware of that.

But FF14 is slowed down considerably compared to PC-Centric MMOs, and elder scrolls bombed because its bad.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:
@Randoggy said:
@aroxx_ab said:
@k--m--k said:

Yep. Looks like a DLC. Same game, just different missions. I will not buy; millions will buy it though.

Destiny 2 only looks like Destiny, the same? That sounds great !!! PC gamers that never touched consoles have a great chance now, and FREE online:P

PC games finally get the chance to play a sub par game :P

Sub par compared to what? i play PC games and i cant find anything that plays and looks like Destiny on PC?

Have you heard of Warframe?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:
@aroxx_ab said:
@k--m--k said:

Yep. Looks like a DLC. Same game, just different missions. I will not buy; millions will buy it though.

Destiny 2 only looks like Destiny, the same? That sounds great !!! PC gamers that never touched consoles have a great chance now, and FREE online:P

This game will be a joke difficulty wise on PC...

Slow Halo mechanics with mouse and keyboard... will barely miss, always critical point/head shotting...

Activision dont even bother with cheat prevention....

This game will be dead on PC within a month... I Gaurentee it.

They make up for that by making the enemies take 50 shots to kill. Lol

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@aroxx_ab said:
@Randoggy said:
@aroxx_ab said:
@k--m--k said:

PC games finally get the chance to play a sub par game :P

Sub par compared to what? i play PC games and i cant find anything that plays and looks like Destiny on PC?

Have you heard of Warframe?

No

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts
@FrozenLiquid said:
@Vaasman said:

Most immediate thing is it doesn't look like they updated the graphics in the slightest. I mean cmon the first didn't look all that great and you guys didn't even try to make it better? No wonder people think it's the same game.

But aside from graphics I think the main issues with the first were things like limited customization, terrible progression, stupid chopped up story mode, spongey enemy design with little justification, and really unsatisfying endgame. These are all things that remain to be seen with this new title, and could turn out great if they haven't been tuning up the engine graphically. The core of combat and the gameplay loop felt fine, that much didn't need to change. So I won't dismiss D2 just yet, I want to see more of what it's content package will look like.

The first didn't look all that great? After Bungie's so-called underwhelming graphical prowess on the 360, Destiny reversed the trend and looked absolutely boss. The only complaint anyone gave was that it was a 30fps shooter in a 60fps era. Nevertheless, it's still one of the better looking games on consoles. Can't wait to see what it's like running at 4k60fps on PC.

So nobody complained about the graphics in Destiny (just the lack of 60fps, especially in Crucible). The major issues were the boring mission design, lack of content, and threadbare story.

Ehh I'm not saying I disagree completely. When I say "didn't look all that great" I still mean the 1st game looks pretty good. The art and skyboxes are the typical high quality of Bungie. However compared with other shooters that had come out by it's launch, I felt like it was only reaching the bar, not setting it. Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Shadowfall. All of them came out before and look just as good as Destiny, if not better thanks to PC resolution and framerate.

The other thing too is that Destiny didn't end up as open as it was supposed to be. It's levels were pretty constricted and most of the rendered area in certain levels couldn't be accessed or interacted with, which made the general technical aspects of it somewhat disappointing.

But regardless, it'll been 3 years between Destiny 1 launch and Destiny 2 launch. Lots and lots of better looking games have come out since then, yet it looks like they literally didn't even touch the engine. Where Destiny might've had good graphics, Destiny 2 is now looking decidedly mediocre.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

As long as they have matchmaking, integrated the team chat, don't make endgame grind revolve around an arbitrary stat that incentivizes you stacking up on gear that sucks for your class, and have about three or four times more content for the game at launch, things will go well for this game.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

I agree with the game looking like upgraded DLC. Disappointing.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yeah looks like more DLC, pretty lazy.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I think "2" is a strange title for an expansion. I wonder what it refers to.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#60 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

@Vaasman said:
@FrozenLiquid said:
@Vaasman said:

Most immediate thing is it doesn't look like they updated the graphics in the slightest. I mean cmon the first didn't look all that great and you guys didn't even try to make it better? No wonder people think it's the same game.

But aside from graphics I think the main issues with the first were things like limited customization, terrible progression, stupid chopped up story mode, spongey enemy design with little justification, and really unsatisfying endgame. These are all things that remain to be seen with this new title, and could turn out great if they haven't been tuning up the engine graphically. The core of combat and the gameplay loop felt fine, that much didn't need to change. So I won't dismiss D2 just yet, I want to see more of what it's content package will look like.

The first didn't look all that great? After Bungie's so-called underwhelming graphical prowess on the 360, Destiny reversed the trend and looked absolutely boss. The only complaint anyone gave was that it was a 30fps shooter in a 60fps era. Nevertheless, it's still one of the better looking games on consoles. Can't wait to see what it's like running at 4k60fps on PC.

So nobody complained about the graphics in Destiny (just the lack of 60fps, especially in Crucible). The major issues were the boring mission design, lack of content, and threadbare story.

Ehh I'm not saying I disagree completely. When I say "didn't look all that great" I still mean the 1st game looks pretty good. The art and skyboxes are the typical high quality of Bungie. However compared with other shooters that had come out by it's launch, I felt like it was only reaching the bar, not setting it. Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Shadowfall. All of them came out before and look just as good as Destiny, if not better thanks to PC resolution and framerate.

The other thing too is that Destiny didn't end up as open as it was supposed to be. It's levels were pretty constricted and most of the rendered area in certain levels couldn't be accessed or interacted with, which made the general technical aspects of it somewhat disappointing.

But regardless, it'll been 3 years between Destiny 1 launch and Destiny 2 launch. Lots and lots of better looking games have come out since then, yet it looks like they literally didn't even touch the engine. Where Destiny might've had good graphics, Destiny 2 is now looking decidedly mediocre.

"Thanks to PC resolution and framerate."

Well there you go, Destiny 2 will now have a PC resolution and framerate since it's being released on PC. It won't look decidedly mediocre at all, from your point of view?

I think it looks sublime for a console-based game, to be perfectly honest. It looks even comparable to some of those single-player FPSes like Dishonored 2, Prey, and Mankind Divided on the consoles, taking in account physics, effects, textures and polygon count.

I don't want to come off as a Destiny apologist, but the audio-visual package was the least of its worries, and I can't remember the last time anyone complained about the originals graphics, precisely because they were great.

I just really, really hope they pick up on content and mission design. It was a freakin no brainer. Should've shown 10 levels of Glass of Vault quality and the hype would've been through the roof.

But knowing Bungie, their "heavy on story" promise is going to be cutscenes galore of Nathan Fillion sci-fi wank, interspersed with repetitious "fill a level with bad guys while you run-n-gun" nonsense. If their gunplay wasn't virtual crack they wouldn't get away with it.

Prove me wrong guys. I used to defend the hell out of you.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:
@svaubel said:
@MBirdy88 said:

Sad thing is this is the closest you will likely get to a good mmo on consoles...

no developer has even attempted to make a proper MMORPG for consoles... I find that bizare... make it abit more hack n slash, but operate similar to PC ones.. could have a winner...

but this is boring slow Halo gameplay with bullet sponge enemies and nothing else. terrible.

Elder Scrolls Online and Final Fantasy 14 are both on consoles and PC.

I am well aware of that.

But FF14 is slowed down considerably compared to PC-Centric MMOs, and elder scrolls bombed because its bad.

Apparently Vicarious Visions, the guys handling the Destiny 2 PC port, are trying to make this feel as un-console like as possible. They know that Destiny 2 won't get away with feeling like a sluggish Halo-style shooter.

It remains to be seen just how much they can gloss over the fundamental pacing of the gameplay though, which will be set for consoles. I'm hoping they will change enemy movements and player movements to take into account that you have faster, and sharper precision than you do with a controller.

EDIT:

"That's impressive enough, but the most significant difference comes from the way Destiny 2 feels to play. Free from the limitations of pad thumbsticks, Guardians zip about the environment. This initially felt completely unworkable, so much so that I had to tune down the sensitivity of the mouse. Even then, being able to quickly move the reticule felt like a revelation. You think you've got the jump on me? Let's spin around to deal with that, shall we?

Even firing a weapon feels completely different. In Destiny on console, there's a recoil that comes with firing each and every weapon. This recoil is built into the feel of the game and the feel of the pad in your hands. You get used to it and compensate accordingly.

On PC, recoil simply wouldn't work in the same way, so for Destiny 2 on PC it's been rejigged. You can line up a headshot, click a mouse button and hit without the reticle moving all over the screen. I found that I was much more accurate with a mouse and keyboard compared to a pad, which is a not entirely surprising revelation. But in the context of my relationship with Destiny, it felt almost extra sensory.

On console, Destiny has a slight auto-aim. I didn't notice any auto-aim at all with the PC version of Destiny 2. This makes sense, too. It's kind of cheating, and in the world of PC, auto-aim is, generally, frowned upon."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-22-hands-on-with-the-impressive-pc-version-of-destiny-2

Ok that's brownie points right there.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

^ Dang... Color me impressed by that.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Unless they make it less grinding like and make the gameplay more intriguing I just can't see this game being that much better than the first. And they plan to release this on the PC.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

As long as they have matchmaking, integrated the team chat, don't make endgame grind revolve around an arbitrary stat that incentivizes you stacking up on gear that sucks for your class, and have about three or four times more content for the game at launch, things will go well for this game.

Matchmaking for everything (unless it is a single person mission) needs to happen. There just isn't an excuse not to have such a badly and much needed feature.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#65 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

You mean we are getting destiny but finished this time around?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I thought the sequel would have been different from the first game but ive seen the videos and im not impressed at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

A sequel looking like it's predecessors is pretty common. Look at the Dark Souls series. You could show me a screenshot for any of the 3 games and I would struggle to tell them apart. But I guess that's what the fans wanted, they didn't want a massive change.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@lifelessablaze said:

- The weapons look,sound, and shoot like they're from the first game

- The enemies look exactly the same and animate exactly the same

- The missions are the same

- Entirely reused animations for everything

Nothing about this is worthy of an actual sequel. Nothing has changed nor evolved. It's an expansion pack. I'm saying this as a big Destiny fan btw...I'm disappointed.

If that's 30 fps game with that level of graphics... it's inferior to Halo 5.

7700K + GTX 1080 Ti for 4k/60 fps with that level graphics.... I rather pick SW Battlefront 2.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22545 Posts

Can't imagine playing destiny 1, realizing the scam at play here, then getting back in line for more... I can't wrap my mind around it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45996 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Can't imagine playing destiny 1, realizing the scam at play here, then getting back in line for more... I can't wrap my mind around it.

And yet the media can't stop gushing about how amazing Destiny 2 is, how it plays exactly the same as the previous one while improving so much.

A lot of people just fall for that kind of hype, I mean look at No Man's Sky.

Activision's budget for this game is providing lots of press plays and getting lots of articles on big name sites, as they know that is what will sell their game.

Expect a lot more "Destiny 2 is amazing and you should play it" articles leading to launch.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#71 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@lifelessablaze:

Might as welll put Bungie on a coffin and seal it shut now.