Watch Dogs PC screenshots released (TURD!)

  • 160 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Avatar image for cfisher2833
#1 Edited by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

Link

To see all the options menu of the game, click here

And here is DSO Gaming's link to 4k screenshots of the game: link

Avatar image for freedomfreak
#2 Posted by freedomfreak (49799 posts) -

Something about the colors just seems off in this game. It has this bland-ish look.

I don't think it looks bad though. I bet it looks a lot better at night. Sleeping Dogs was the same.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#3 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

Don't forget to Upgrade everybody.

Avatar image for Krelian-co
#4 Edited by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

i watched the 4k screenshots, game look great, hopefully the graphics are backed by a great game.

Avatar image for lostrib
#5 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

Hmmmm, still deciding if I want to get this. Have a few more days to decide

Avatar image for ladyblue
#6 Posted by LadyBlue (4943 posts) -

Mosley Neesha, lol

Avatar image for spitfire-six
#7 Posted by Spitfire-Six (1377 posts) -

@freedomfreak: In video games we are used to seeing a type of cinematic lighting scheme. It appears for this game they chose a very natural lighting scheme. The colors are not very saturated are a close to what you will normally see in real life but because they are depicted through a 2d medium it makes them look flat or washed out. Some of the materials look a little off also. Like what is his coat? I thought it was leather it appears to not have the slight sheen that leather has. Or maybe its a dingy old leather coat.

Avatar image for cfisher2833
#8 Edited by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Something about the colors just seems off in this game. It has this bland-ish look.

I don't think it looks bad though. I bet it looks a lot better at night. Sleeping Dogs was the same.

Yeah, it seems like everything is out of focus--like theres a blurring effect over everything. That might be the TXAA, but I've never seen this sort of general blurriness in other games that use TXAA. And yeah, the night shots do look quite a bit better.

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
#9 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14291 posts) -

Looks better than Console versions (specially shadows) but not that good . Will wait for proper gameplay videos running at ultra settings before judging it .

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#10 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@spitfire-six said:

@freedomfreak: In video games we are used to seeing a type of cinematic lighting scheme. It appears for this game they chose a very natural lighting scheme. The colors are not very saturated are a close to what you will normally see in real life but because they are depicted through a 2d medium it makes them look flat or washed out. Some of the materials look a little off also. Like what is his coat? I thought it was leather it appears to not have the slight sheen that leather has. Or maybe its a dingy old leather coat.

This lighting scheme is anything but natural.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
#11 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

if they never showed all those bs videos at the reveal these screenshots wont look too bad but now this just looks complete shit compared to what it looked like before

Avatar image for silversix_
#12 Edited by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

Is this a joke? This is truly maxed settings? I don't believe it because this looks abysmal and what was shown with nvidia tech it looked great. In other words i hope this game fails and isn't the next boring ass creed yearly spam

Avatar image for I_can_haz
#13 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

Looks like crap. Downgrade confirmed.

Avatar image for freedomfreak
#14 Posted by freedomfreak (49799 posts) -
@spitfire-six said:

In video games we are used to seeing a type of cinematic lighting scheme. It appears for this game they chose a very natural lighting scheme. The colors are not very saturated are a close to what you will normally see in real life but because they are depicted through a 2d medium it makes them look flat or washed out. Some of the materials look a little off also. Like what is his coat? I thought it was leather it appears to not have the slight sheen that leather has. Or maybe its a dingy old leather coat.

Yeah, sounds about right.

His coat is probably hella old. He should get something new. Fella can hack an entire city, but doesn't go out of his way to buy a fancy coat.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#16 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

I told you guys not to get your hopes too high for this.

Ubisoft are bullshit artists.

Avatar image for spitfire-six
#17 Posted by Spitfire-Six (1377 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: They aren't using a 3 light setup. I don't see any rims lights in the scene. I also notice that its high contrast values with terminators in the shadows. It looks like how you would paint or light a natural setup. It also looks like an out doors scene light scheme for movies. What doesn't look natural about it to you ?

Avatar image for wis3boi
#18 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Something about the colors just seems off in this game. It has this bland-ish look.

I don't think it looks bad though. I bet it looks a lot better at night. Sleeping Dogs was the same.

ACIV was the same way, nothing sweetfx cant fix in 5sec though

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#19 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@spitfire-six said:

@ReadingRainbow4: They aren't using a 3 light setup. I don't see any rims lights in the scene. I also notice that its high contrast values with terminators in the shadows. It looks like how you would paint or light a natural setup. It also looks like an out doors scene light scheme for movies. What doesn't look natural about it to you ?

I dunno, when I'm outside even on a cloudy day the landscape isn't washed out, nothing about this looks natural.

The lighting engine is really off, it's clear this isn't anywhere close to what was advertised.

Avatar image for mems_1224
#20 Posted by mems_1224 (56914 posts) -

Yup, looks like they had to scale back the graphics due to the inferior "next gen" consoles. Thanks for nothing Sony.

Avatar image for spitfire-six
#21 Posted by Spitfire-Six (1377 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: We are talking about 2 different things my friend. Im talking about the art style and direction. Im not sure if the lighting engine is off, there is no way to tell that in a still image. Your colors don't look washed out in real life because your using your eyes and there is no filter between you and the natural hue of any item in the environment. Im saying they are trying to create a natural look to this game and you can't do that by over saturating the colors. If your basing it on his coat it could be a different type of material than you initially thought. Sunny days add a value and tint of yellow to everything when brings the chroma of colors down, on a overcast day colors that are warm have a brighter pop because the clouds act to diffuse the light from the sun and give everything a more gradual shadow and lower contrast. I think they achieved the look they are going for.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#22 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Yup, looks like they had to scale back the graphics due to the inferior "next gen" consoles. Thanks for nothing Sony.

Wouldn't that be thanks to Microsoft?

Avatar image for mems_1224
#23 Posted by mems_1224 (56914 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Yup, looks like they had to scale back the graphics due to the inferior "next gen" consoles. Thanks for nothing Sony.

Wouldn't that be thanks to Microsoft?

PS4 was the lead console. Thanks for playing.

Avatar image for cfisher2833
#24 Edited by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@spitfire-six said:

@freedomfreak: In video games we are used to seeing a type of cinematic lighting scheme. It appears for this game they chose a very natural lighting scheme. The colors are not very saturated are a close to what you will normally see in real life but because they are depicted through a 2d medium it makes them look flat or washed out. Some of the materials look a little off also. Like what is his coat? I thought it was leather it appears to not have the slight sheen that leather has. Or maybe its a dingy old leather coat.

This lighting scheme is anything but natural.

Yeah, Arma 3 has a very natural lighting scheme (here); this does not. Remember the excessive god ray photos we've seen?

@silversix_Yep, it's ultra. lmao

btw, Not all leather is shiny. I wear leather and suede sandals (Clarks ftw--the inside is lined with lamb skin!), and they don't the rays of a thousand suns.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#25 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@spitfire-six said:

@ReadingRainbow4: We are talking about 2 different things my friend. Im talking about the art style and direction. Im not sure if the lighting engine is off, there is no way to tell that in a still image. Your colors don't look washed out in real life because your using your eyes and there is no filter between you and the natural hue of any item in the environment. Im saying they are trying to create a natural look to this game and you can't do that by over saturating the colors. If your basing it on his coat it could be a different type of material than you initially thought. Sunny days add a value and tint of yellow to everything when brings the chroma of colors down, on a overcast day colors that are warm have a brighter pop because the clouds act to diffuse the light from the sun and give everything a more gradual shadow and lower contrast. I think they achieved the look they are going for.

I'm basing it on the overall image, not just aidens bath robe.

I can't imagine anyone thinking this is an accurate representation of real life lighting, it just looks so off. Especially how it interacts with the player and npcs.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#26 Posted by lundy86_4 (48569 posts) -

The daytime shots look like absolute balls, but from what i've seen of the nighttime gameplay (with rain) it looks pretty decent.

Avatar image for spitfire-six
#27 Edited by Spitfire-Six (1377 posts) -

@cfisher2833:

@cfisher2833 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@spitfire-six said:

@freedomfreak: In video games we are used to seeing a type of cinematic lighting scheme. It appears for this game they chose a very natural lighting scheme. The colors are not very saturated are a close to what you will normally see in real life but because they are depicted through a 2d medium it makes them look flat or washed out. Some of the materials look a little off also. Like what is his coat? I thought it was leather it appears to not have the slight sheen that leather has. Or maybe its a dingy old leather coat.

This lighting scheme is anything but natural.

Yeah, Arma 3 has a very natural lighting scheme (here); this does not. Remember the excessive god ray photos we've seen?

Your standing in a shadow, and thats a different time of day. Also lets not forget Arma comes from an actual simulation. You guys are just looking for something to be mad at which is cool you can be mad just don't make up reasons to be mad. "I don't think its natural because the way it interacts with NPC's?" What are you talking about? This doesn't even make sense could you be more specific please?

Avatar image for Dire_Weasel
#28 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16681 posts) -

Waiting for reviews, gameplay will make or break this one.

At this point no one is expecting a graphical powerhouse.

Avatar image for lostrib
#30 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

PC stream, max settings.

http://www.twitch.tv/cappercom

I'm supposed to believe he's playing at max settings with a GTS 450?

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#31 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

PC stream, max settings.

http://www.twitch.tv/cappercom

I'm supposed to believe he's playing at max settings with a GTS 450?

someone said he was, I deleted it dude.

Honestly not much difference from the ultra stream I saw tho :/

Avatar image for Ballroompirate
#34 Edited by Ballroompirate (25858 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Something about the colors just seems off in this game. It has this bland-ish look.

I don't think it looks bad though. I bet it looks a lot better at night. Sleeping Dogs was the same.

Dat rain in Sleeping Dogs was pretty dope

Avatar image for cfisher2833
#35 Edited by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

@spitfire-six said:

@cfisher2833:

@cfisher2833 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@spitfire-six said:

@freedomfreak: In video games we are used to seeing a type of cinematic lighting scheme. It appears for this game they chose a very natural lighting scheme. The colors are not very saturated are a close to what you will normally see in real life but because they are depicted through a 2d medium it makes them look flat or washed out. Some of the materials look a little off also. Like what is his coat? I thought it was leather it appears to not have the slight sheen that leather has. Or maybe its a dingy old leather coat.

This lighting scheme is anything but natural.

Yeah, Arma 3 has a very natural lighting scheme (here); this does not. Remember the excessive god ray photos we've seen?

Your standing in a shadow, and thats a different time of day. Also lets not forget Arma comes from an actual simulation. You guys are just looking for something to be mad at which is cool you can be mad just don't make up reasons to be mad. "I don't think its natural because the way it interacts with NPC's?" What are you talking about? This doesn't even make sense could you be more specific please?

I am not mad. I'll still probably pick up the game if it gets good reviews. But seriously, the lighting system is not trying to be realisitic. Just look at the absurd god rays in this vid

Avatar image for spitfire-six
#36 Posted by Spitfire-Six (1377 posts) -

@cfisher2833 said:

@spitfire-six said:

@cfisher2833:

@cfisher2833 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@spitfire-six said:

@freedomfreak: In video games we are used to seeing a type of cinematic lighting scheme. It appears for this game they chose a very natural lighting scheme. The colors are not very saturated are a close to what you will normally see in real life but because they are depicted through a 2d medium it makes them look flat or washed out. Some of the materials look a little off also. Like what is his coat? I thought it was leather it appears to not have the slight sheen that leather has. Or maybe its a dingy old leather coat.

This lighting scheme is anything but natural.

Yeah, Arma 3 has a very natural lighting scheme (here); this does not. Remember the excessive god ray photos we've seen?

Your standing in a shadow, and thats a different time of day. Also lets not forget Arma comes from an actual simulation. You guys are just looking for something to be mad at which is cool you can be mad just don't make up reasons to be mad. "I don't think its natural because the way it interacts with NPC's?" What are you talking about? This doesn't even make sense could you be more specific please?

I am not mad. I'll still probably pick up the game if it gets good reviews. But seriously, the lighting system is not trying to be realisitic. Just look at the absurd god rays in this vid

I was speaking on purely the art directors approach to lighting. I was not speaking about the actual tech behind it, the way they are lighting the scenes is similar to the way the film industry recreates natural lighting. I was originally explaining why it looked bland specifically referring to the images in this thread no additional videos. That said, that video appears to be more of a tech demo we will see when the actual game is released and someone post videos. Also take into account the time of day. Twilight, Night time are considerably more interesting times of day to paint/ or film a scene even though it presents more problems. They always show this game at night, raining, and twilight because thats when it looks the best. Thats when the lighting and colors and everything is more interesting. The screen shots above look almost high noon.

Avatar image for Ben-Buja
#37 Edited by Ben-Buja (2809 posts) -

Let's compare to some other open world games on PC

GTA IV modded (2008 released, icenhancer came out in 2011)

Sleeping Dogs (2012)

Mafia 2 (2010)

Just Cause 2 (2010)

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#38 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

Sleeping dogs was ahead of it's time according to ubisoft.

Avatar image for Ballroompirate
#39 Edited by Ballroompirate (25858 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Sleeping dogs was ahead of it's time according to ubisoft.

Avatar image for lunar1122
#40 Posted by lunar1122 (779 posts) -

hmmmmmmm this is disappointing. Ubisoft is pissing me off so much lately. So much bullshots.. So much downgrades. Far Cry 3 was a classic example.. If anyone is expecting "the division" to look like its reveal.. Think againnnnnnn.. That new assassins creed trailer? Dont fall for the hoax..

Avatar image for jhonMalcovich
#41 Posted by jhonMalcovich (7090 posts) -

It looks like those shots have been made from youtube footage. They don't look legit at all.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#42 Edited by uninspiredcup (24933 posts) -

Still looks alright imo. But yea, disappointing compared to something like Black Flag, which looks amazing. It's obviously consoles fault. Master race is always trying to push while consoles pull, always pulling.

Avatar image for lostrib
#43 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Still looks alright imo. But yea, disappointing compared to something like Black Flag, which looks amazing. It's obviously consoles fault. Master race is always trying to push while consoles pull, always pulling.

Wait, I thought you were a console gamer?

Avatar image for o0squishy0o
#44 Posted by o0squishy0o (2792 posts) -

Those ones posted look compressed by quite a bit. Compression can't distort the obvious "meh" lighting going on however, its a bit of a shame as this was a game that everyone seemed to hyped for, now its almost a dont want to know situation. Real shame.

Avatar image for NFJSupreme
#45 Posted by NFJSupreme (6488 posts) -

So this is what watchdogs is supposed to look like. I can dig it.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#46 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@NFJSupreme said:

So this is what watchdogs is supposed to look like. I can dig it.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#47 Edited by uninspiredcup (24933 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Still looks alright imo. But yea, disappointing compared to something like Black Flag, which looks amazing. It's obviously consoles fault. Master race is always trying to push while consoles pull, always pulling.

Wait, I thought you were a console gamer?

Always respected you the most.

Avatar image for musicalmac
#48 Posted by musicalmac (24890 posts) -

Extra triangles cannot thrill anymore.

Avatar image for kraken2109
#49 Edited by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

It seems to look much better at night than in daylight

Loading Video...

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#50 Posted by uninspiredcup (24933 posts) -

@Ben-Buja said:

Let's compare to some other open world games on PC

GTA IV modded (2008 released, icenhancer came out in 2011)


Speaking of mods, it would be interesting to see just how moddable Watchdogs is. It's Ubisoft, so, it obviously wont get support.