Watch Dogs for PC Looks Like E3 Footage Now!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#401 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

But what you seem to have missed is that the console version of that Crysis 3 image has all the same assets exactly. The PC version has better resolution, AA, textures, shadow detail, lighting, reflections, tessellated objects here and there. These are all added on top of the 360 game mesh. Also, I'd argue that TLOU PS3 is better graphics than Crysis 3 PS3. Naughty Dog really took the PS3 places. Many effects handled by the SPU's where as Crytek did across the board optimizations for all three platforms. Crytek aren't known for their optimization algorithms. They are more comfortable with Direct X on PC where most of the work is done for you. Watch this video and you will see that the assets are the same on Crysis 3 PC as the console version. Apart from the engine related effects and image quality, which does make a huge difference to the end user, but it's not equivalent to a 'generation ahead' of the console version.

Yes, Naughty Dog can do wonders with the 'limited' hardware. And so can Guerilla... all their games and NDs on PS3 looked amazing to me.

But by the time U3 and TLOU came out there were already more spectacular PC games out there, so they didn't wow me. Which, you know, is not a requirement, still great games, just talking about graphics you know :P

Did you notice how ND thanked Guerilla in the credits of most of their games ? I'm pretty sure ND and Guerilla worked together to achieve some of those graphics on PS3.

@scottpsfan14 said:

Watch this video and you will see that the assets are the same on Crysis 3 PC as the console version. Apart from the engine related effects and image quality, which does make a huge difference to the end user, but it's not equivalent to a 'generation ahead' of the console version.

That's not for me to decide. Thing is, I was blown away when playing Crysis 1, 2 and 3 on PC and there was nothing on console close.

Sure, you could say they look the same. But there is a massive difference. I don't need to look at a badly compressed youtube video to notice it. Again, PC was lead platform for C3, and I can even spot the difference between PC and console version when the port was given barely any effort...

Coming back to the generation ahead statement: so I was playing these games when it was still last gen and no talk about new consoles. And then the new consoles come around, I see Shadow Fall (a next generation game) and it barely looks better than Crysis 3 on PC.

To me that is a case of the PC not working with gens and already doing textures/resolutions/effects that the PS3 could not, but the PS4 can.

Just because Crysis 3 runs on PS3 and 360 besides PC and Shadow Fall runs on PS4 does not mean Shadow Fall is a gen ahead in graphics, because it isn't.

Just like Infamous SS is not a gen ahead of Watch_dogs when it comes to graphics.

@scottpsfan14 said:

Crysis 3 does indeed feature a lot of next gen quality effects. Cry Engine 3 is amazing for sure. But it's still using last gen character models, animations, AI, and level geometry. As all of these are exactly the same on PC as on the PS3/360. You can clearly see this on the video. For you to say TLOU graphics are not that good is opinion. It looks very nice in my opinion however, and I can only imagine that the PS4 version will look a lot better. But, not as good as a full fledged next gen game like Uncharted 4. And you say that UC4 looks nice but downplay it by saying 'by then, PC games will look better'.

It doesn't though. Crysis 3 PC character models are not the same as on 360/PS3

So, again, shadow fall has 'next gen' character models... yet they barely beat or come close to Crysis 3s ... How does that work ?

Play Crysis 3 on 360, than play it on PC. You'll see the difference. Dunno what you want from a badly compressed video ? Dunno how that proves your point when everyone knows youtube compression can make a PS4 game look like a PS2 game.... Heck people use youtube compressed gifs on this site daily to show of the bad graphics of a game, when in actuality it's just down to the compression.

No, I did not say that TLOU graphics were not good. Please read that again.

I hate having to correct you again, and so soon, but again, I did not say:

"And you say that UC4 looks nice but downplay it by saying 'by then, PC games will look better'."

You use quote chains but why exactly ? Why are you doing that when you are not even going to copy exactly what I said

Your version: 'by then, PC games will look better'

My version: 'by then there might be even better looking games on PC...'

Pretty big difference if you ask me. Might or will have two entirely different meanings.

@scottpsfan14 said:

Well I wasn't talking about the PC being worse or better, I didn't mention that, this proves you are insecure and think I am digging at the PC platform.

That's a shame man, we had this great discussion going on and now you have to resort to name calling.

What would I be insecure about ?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#402 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@R4gn4r0k y u feed alt accounts D:

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#403  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@R4gn4r0k y u feed alt accounts D:

Because I'm right

and that's what matter :D

Lol, but seriously though, I'm done

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#404 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Nvidia and AMD are due to relase there next generation cards soon and by the time UC4 is released another generation of cards would of been released.

So in lamens terms we will have 2 sets of next generation PC GPU releases before UC4 hits, the gap between PC and console then will be HUGE.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#405 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@scottpsfan14: Probably, but how could you possibly top Watch Dog's rainy weather with mods?? Would take quite a while.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#406 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@topgunmv: Yeeep, just looks like normal ol' tesselation that was always there :P

The only noticeable difference to water is the fact that rain is more dense with this mod so the rain dripping on the water looks AMAZING.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

you dont even need to mention tessellation. crysis 3 uses so little of it i wonder why its even there to begin with. i couldnt find 1 area of the game in practice where turning it on and off in the console did anything i would call noticeable. i welcome someone to show me where to look.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409  Edited By scatteh316

@scottpsfan14: All you do is post the same screens, it's as if there's a few good looking ones and I suppose you find this impressive?

What's so special about the rock walls and lighting exactly???

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#410  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@m3dude1: Start playing it on max graphics and you will see the difference. Your doctored shots are in no way credible anyways.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#411  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

you dont even need to mention tessellation. crysis 3 uses so little of it i wonder why its even there to begin with. i couldnt find 1 area of the game in practice where turning it on and off in the console did anything i would call noticeable. i welcome someone to show me where to look.

Pretty noticeable to me. Maybe you didn't know what to look for. (not trying to sound like a jerk here.)

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412 scatteh316

@donalbane said:

@m3dude1 said:

Pretty noticeable to me. Maybe you didn't know what to look for. (not trying to sound like a jerk here.)

That's not tessellation....atleast he knows the difference.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413  Edited By m3dude1

@donalbane said:

@m3dude1 said:

screens from the game, not a tech trailer. im pretty sure i found that tree, and the same effect looks very different in game. and even then it might be the only thing you can find throughout the entire game

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415 scatteh316

@m3dude1 said:

@donalbane said:

@m3dude1 said:

screens from the game, not a tech trailer. im pretty sure i found that tree, and the same effect looks very different in game. and even then it might be the only thing you can find throughout the entire game

That tree is damn easy to find in the game but it's not using tessellation, it's using displacement mapping which is completely different.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417 scatteh316

@scottpsfan14 said:
@scatteh316 said:

@m3dude1 said:

@donalbane said:

@m3dude1 said:

That tree is damn easy to find in the game but it's not using tessellation, it's using displacement mapping which is completely different.

Displacement mapping educes tessellation. That is what people reffer to when they say 'tessellated geometry'. Shows what you know..

Displacement mapping is nothing more then a fancy shader trick that gives the appearance of extra geometry without actually adding any.

Tessellation actually adds geometry.

Crytek actually shown a wireframe version of that iirc and there was no added geometry at all.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418  Edited By m3dude1

@scatteh316 said:

@m3dude1 said:

@donalbane said:

@m3dude1 said:

i know what PADM is, im sure you however dont

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419 scatteh316

@scottpsfan14 said:
@scatteh316 said:

@scottpsfan14: All you do is post the same screens, it's as if there's a few good looking ones and I suppose you find this impressive?

What's so special about the rock walls and lighting exactly???

How something 'looks' to you or me is subjective. I'm talking of advancements that 8th gen games will bring to all platforms. Fundamental advancements.

There's is literally nothing in that shot that's above 7th gen game engines at all.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Jesus, so what we now have three total threads comparing Crysis 3 and KZSF.

FFS

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422 scatteh316

@scottpsfan14 said:
@scatteh316 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@scatteh316 said:

@m3dude1 said:

@donalbane said:

@m3dude1 said:

Displacement mapping educes tessellation. That is what people reffer to when they say 'tessellated geometry'. Shows what you know..

Displacement mapping is nothing more then a fancy shader trick that gives the appearance of extra geometry without actually adding any.

Crytek actually shown a wireframe version of that iirc and there was no added geometry at all.

Displacement mapping calculates a surface and adds actual micro polygons to the shape of the texture. If you have a tree texture, they will add displacement mapping and it will turn the textures into real polygons like you see in games. When a brick is tessellated in Crysis 2, it is based on displacement mapping and the underlying texture. This is why textures always look distorted on tessellated geometry. However, you can add tessellation to any given object in a game that isn't based off of a texture map. Like a round object with blocky base geometry that has added tessellation (micro polygons) to make it round. It is done by sub-dividing the geometry and multiplying the triangles.

I know how it works but Cryteks PADM doesn't work that way, it's all shader based and does not involve adding geometry using tessellation.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423 m3dude1

its cryteks replacement for parallax occlusion mapping. there is no extra geometry generated

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425  Edited By m3dude1

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426  Edited By scatteh316

@scottpsfan14 said:
@scatteh316 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@scatteh316 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@scatteh316 said:

@m3dude1 said:

@donalbane said:

@m3dude1 said:

Displacement mapping calculates a surface and adds actual micro polygons to the shape of the texture. If you have a tree texture, they will add displacement mapping and it will turn the textures into real polygons like you see in games. When a brick is tessellated in Crysis 2, it is based on displacement mapping and the underlying texture. This is why textures always look distorted on tessellated geometry. However, you can add tessellation to any given object in a game that isn't based off of a texture map. Like a round object with blocky base geometry that has added tessellation (micro polygons) to make it round. It is done by sub-dividing the geometry and multiplying the triangles.

I know how it works but Cryteks PADM doesn't work that way, it's all shader based and does not involve adding geometry using tessellation.

You clearly don't. Because that tree in the tech trailer has added geometry. You can see it with your eyes. Displacement mapping adds polygons using hardware tessellation used in DX11 GPU's since 2010. To clear things up. Download Cry Engine SDK and turn on wireframe mode and see for yourself.

You clearly don't know your stuff...

"Without the need for tessellation" and "Display wireframe mode to demonstrate that no tessellation is being applied to the asset"

It's nothing more then a shader trick.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429 scatteh316

@scottpsfan14 said:
@m3dude1 said:

its cryteks replacement for parallax occlusion mapping. there is no extra geometry generated

I thought that. But it seems that it is another way of displacing polygons. It does use tessellation.

Crytek says it doesn't use tessellation so you were incorrect in this instance but displacement mapping generally is related to geometry generation. Just not in this case.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431 m3dude1

crysis 2 use of tessellation was an abomination

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432  Edited By scatteh316

@scottpsfan14 said:
@scatteh316 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@m3dude1 said:

I thought that. But it seems that it is another way of displacing polygons. It does use tessellation.

Crytek says it doesn't use tessellation so you were incorrect in this instance but displacement mapping generally is related to geometry generation. Just not in this case.

It's a clever effect then. All I know is that Crysis 2 used displacement mapping with tessellation on bricks etc.

They changed the whole geometry system as the tessellation implementation in Crysis 2 was very primitive and killed performance.

They introduced PADM to create the fine details as that had a lower performance hit then using tessellation on such small details ( Micro polygons are a bitch when it comes to performance hit ) and then used Adaptive Tessellation on the bigger things as that would allow for more geometric detail without killing performance.

And that's not Killzone: Shadow Fall ;)

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#435  Edited By scatteh316

@scottpsfan14 said:
@scatteh316 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@scatteh316 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@m3dude1 said:

It's a clever effect then. All I know is that Crysis 2 used displacement mapping with tessellation on bricks etc.

They changed the whole geometry system as the tessellation implementation in Crysis 2 was very primitive and killed performance.

They introduced PADM to create the fine details as that had a lower performance hit then using tessellation on such small details ( Micro polygons are a bitch when it comes to performance hit ) and then used Adaptive Tessellation on the bigger things as that would allow for more geometric detail without killing performance.

And that's not Killzone: Shadow Fall ;)

Yeah you can tell that isn't Killzone SF. I was literally trying to find that area in the game lol. Was that just all a troll attempt then?

It was an experiment to see if people could tell the difference and it's funny that no one actually did, that's a user made Killzone MOD running on CryEngine 3.

Aside from some textures not being the same it holds up to the real thing pretty damn well if you ask me, not bad for a MOD made by a single person.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436 m3dude1

or we barely even looked at it and just assumed it was a typical cherry picked bad screen., tho it being a cryengine mod make perfect sense

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437 SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

But what you seem to have missed is that the console version of that Crysis 3 image has all the same assets exactly. The PC version has better resolution, AA, textures, shadow detail, lighting, reflections, tessellated objects here and there. These are all added on top of the 360 game mesh. Also, I'd argue that TLOU PS3 is better graphics than Crysis 3 PS3. Naughty Dog really took the PS3 places. Many effects handled by the SPU's where as Crytek did across the board optimizations for all three platforms. Crytek aren't known for their optimization algorithms. They are more comfortable with Direct X on PC where most of the work is done for you. Watch this video and you will see that the assets are the same on Crysis 3 PC as the console version. Apart from the engine related effects and image quality, which does make a huge difference to the end user, but it's not equivalent to a 'generation ahead' of the console version.

Yes, Naughty Dog can do wonders with the 'limited' hardware. And so can Guerilla... all their games and NDs on PS3 looked amazing to me.

But by the time U3 and TLOU came out there were already more spectacular PC games out there, so they didn't wow me. Which, you know, is not a requirement, still great games, just talking about graphics you know :P

Did you notice how ND thanked Guerilla in the credits of most of their games ? I'm pretty sure ND and Guerilla worked together to achieve some of those graphics on PS3.

@scottpsfan14 said:

Watch this video and you will see that the assets are the same on Crysis 3 PC as the console version. Apart from the engine related effects and image quality, which does make a huge difference to the end user, but it's not equivalent to a 'generation ahead' of the console version.

That's not for me to decide. Thing is, I was blown away when playing Crysis 1, 2 and 3 on PC and there was nothing on console close.

Sure, you could say they look the same. But there is a massive difference. I don't need to look at a badly compressed youtube video to notice it. Again, PC was lead platform for C3, and I can even spot the difference between PC and console version when the port was given barely any effort...

Coming back to the generation ahead statement: so I was playing these games when it was still last gen and no talk about new consoles. And then the new consoles come around, I see Shadow Fall (a next generation game) and it barely looks better than Crysis 3 on PC.

To me that is a case of the PC not working with gens and already doing textures/resolutions/effects that the PS3 could not, but the PS4 can.

Just because Crysis 3 runs on PS3 and 360 besides PC and Shadow Fall runs on PS4 does not mean Shadow Fall is a gen ahead in graphics, because it isn't.

Just like Infamous SS is not a gen ahead of Watch_dogs when it comes to graphics.

@scottpsfan14 said:

Crysis 3 does indeed feature a lot of next gen quality effects. Cry Engine 3 is amazing for sure. But it's still using last gen character models, animations, AI, and level geometry. As all of these are exactly the same on PC as on the PS3/360. You can clearly see this on the video. For you to say TLOU graphics are not that good is opinion. It looks very nice in my opinion however, and I can only imagine that the PS4 version will look a lot better. But, not as good as a full fledged next gen game like Uncharted 4. And you say that UC4 looks nice but downplay it by saying 'by then, PC games will look better'.

It doesn't though. Crysis 3 PC character models are not the same as on 360/PS3

So, again, shadow fall has 'next gen' character models... yet they barely beat or come close to Crysis 3s ... How does that work ?

Play Crysis 3 on 360, than play it on PC. You'll see the difference. Dunno what you want from a badly compressed video ? Dunno how that proves your point when everyone knows youtube compression can make a PS4 game look like a PS2 game.... Heck people use youtube compressed gifs on this site daily to show of the bad graphics of a game, when in actuality it's just down to the compression.

No, I did not say that TLOU graphics were not good. Please read that again.

I hate having to correct you again, and so soon, but again, I did not say:

"And you say that UC4 looks nice but downplay it by saying 'by then, PC games will look better'."

You use quote chains but why exactly ? Why are you doing that when you are not even going to copy exactly what I said

Your version: 'by then, PC games will look better'

My version: 'by then there might be even better looking games on PC...'

Pretty big difference if you ask me. Might or will have two entirely different meanings.

@scottpsfan14 said:

Well I wasn't talking about the PC being worse or better, I didn't mention that, this proves you are insecure and think I am digging at the PC platform.

That's a shame man, we had this great discussion going on and now you have to resort to name calling.

What would I be insecure about ?

You simply aren't understanding what I am trying to say. Yes, there is a massive difference between the console version of Crysis 3 and PC version on max. But that difference is in textures, resolution, AA, and engine effects. Not in assets and code. And that is the core fundamentals of a game. All the former is just things Crytek added on to the PC version to enhance visuals. And don't get me wrong, it does a fine job of that indeed.

What you need to understand about multiplat games, and this includes Crysis 3, is that they have to work with the lowest common denominator. In Crysis 3's case, it was the PS3/360. Now what does that mean to the PC version of the game you may be wondering? It means that they had to create baseline assets for those consoles in mind. They were tethered to them. They couldn't go all out and create the Psycho model with 40,000 polygons and full body motion simulation like what Killzone SF has because that could not be synthesized on last gen consoles. So Crytek had to make do with limitations of this nature. They had to work with what they had for the PC version. And they did a fine job at that. And not only in character models were they limited, but in base line geometry of assets, props, and levels. Cevat Yerli, Crytek CEO says this..

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/cryteks-ceo-admits-that-crysis-3-was-limited-by-current-generation-consoles/

“The consoles are eight year old devices. Of course, in one way or another, they will limit you. It’s impossible not to limited by a limited console. By definition it’s the case. So if it were PC only, could we have done more things? Certainly, yes.”
“Could we have afforded a budge to make a game like Crysis 3 PC only? No. People have to understand that this is a journey of give and take.”

Obviously the last gen consoles didn't limit Crysis 3 in engine effects, it was assets...

As you can see from those images, the PC version is indeed better in terms of draw distance, textures, skin maps, and lighting, but you will see they are using the same amount of geometry for every object in view. The character models, as I said, are composed of the exact same set of polygons. Just over 20,000 polygons used for Psycho model. The skin maps and textures on his clothes are better on PC by far, but it's the same assets. This is an example of how last gen consoles were limiting the game. With Killzone, they were able to go all out with every asset on the game. So NPC's were composed of twice as many polygons and had full body and face motion simulation like the image below. There are more simulated jaw muscles etc. This motion seen below could not be done on a PS3. You will also see if you watched that comparison video that the animations on the PC version are also the exact same as the console version. Just because Crytek added a high quality skin map to Psycho does not mean that it is a better character model than the one seen below.

"Play Crysis 3 on 360, than play it on PC. You'll see the difference. Dunno what you want from a badly compressed video ? Dunno how that proves your point when everyone knows youtube compression can make a PS4 game look like a PS2 game.... Heck people use youtube compressed gifs on this site daily to show of the bad graphics of a game, when in actuality it's just down to the compression."

Yes, I do notice a massive difference in image quality and effects in use. A huge huge difference for sure. But it is still a 7th gen game at it's core. It lacks PBR, geometric detail, and motion simulation that 8th gen games such as Killzone SF has. You might prefer how Crysis 3 looks, but the fact of the matter is, in assets, Crysis 1 beats Crysis 3. As it was also not limited by the last gen consoles. The level density is very high in that game.

To put it firmly, Crysis 3 PC is a beautiful looking game, it showcases engine effects that are in fact next gen quality. But it will also become apparent that it is a last gen game when you see Cryteks next big FPS offering that uses up to date assets not limited by PS3/360. You can already see what a difference it has made to Assassins Creed, The Witcher, Batman Arkham games etc. If you can't see it, then you're blind. Here is some developer insight on how next gen consoles will affect real-time graphics..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-metro-last-light

Digital Foundry:"Once it's financially viable to let go of Xbox 360 and PS3, what rendering advancements do you hope to see in next-gen gaming?"

Oles Shishkovstov:"It seems that personally we will jump to next-gen rather sooner than later. We are currently focused on another important aspect of our games - characters. I mean we are not only working on believable appearance/visualisation, but also are in deep research on believable motion and animation. In a nutshell that's full-time physical simulation of the entire body with generated animations based on a "style" model learned from motion capture. That's a really compute-intensive process, but the one greatly suited to a GPU Compute model.

That's just one example. The whole industry was held back with current-gen consoles, because they are a very important source of revenue. Now the lowest common denominator will be 10x higher, and that's incredible. We can expect some form of GI to become common, it will be rare stuff to see a shadow without umbra/penumbra, every model will be properly tessellated and displaced, the OIT will be commonplace (for games who needs it badly), we will forget forever about smoke not casting shadow onto itself, etc, etc - great times really.

I am not saying that we'll solve all the problems at once and the result will be available in every game onto every console, but a 10x more powerful baseline will spawn all types of research and resulting advancements will translate into many games, [and] not only console ones - the PC graphics will get a huge improvement as a result as well."

You don't know how many times I've posted this trying to explain to hermit after hermit about how console generations do in fact affect PC graphics. Also another little talk by Cevat Yerli of Crytek on next generation consoles and what they will do for game graphics across all platforms.

Cevat Yerli:"Going forward, as we have announced at Gamescom, we've dropped the numbers from CryEngine and will keep providing the engine as a frequently updated service for developers. CryEngine will always evolve and improve. There are many research directions besides fully physical-based rendering and shading, and we still have quite some work before we reach a cinematic/photo-realistic world that's consistent in every area. Character animation, for example, has a long, long way to go before hitting realistic and believable quality on all fronts.

The future will not be just about realism though, but also about new kinds of artistic expressions. The next few years will be great times for the PC community and console gamers. In a talk I gave about the future of computer graphics in 2008, I said that the next-gen consoles would arrive in 2012/2013, and that we'd receive CG-quality rendering of games. These consoles will provide us a baseline to not just deliver that, but over the years to go beyond it. We will close the gap more and more between CG animation that people see and CG-quality games that they can play."

This subject tends to hit a raw nerve with hermits. Some say that PC's don't have anything to do with consoles. Some deny that PC multiplats are the same game as their console counterpart. But this new baseline developers are speaking of is in assets. Like Characters and over all geometric detail. Of course expect more modern engine effects to become the standard too. What was considered high end PC lighting will become the standard in next gen for instance. Forget the days when shadows had a serrated edge to them. And other things of this nature. An example of KZSF and it's polygon budget and at the beginning of the generation remember..

Notice the rock geometry and how there is very little blocky edges. This is baseline geometry and uses no hardware tessellation. This is a result of not being tethered to last gen consoles. And it's only the beginning of the generation. Remember, you wouldn't use Killzone 2 as the defining 7th gen graphics FPS would you. Expect it to only get better and better, on every platform.

I'd first like to apologize to everyone for copying this incredibly long chain of quotes, but I digress...

My problem is with that GIF that I've seen multiple times - of the girl from KZ (can't remember her name, beat the campaign the week it came out and haven't really played it again). I personally do not find that impressive, especially when being compared with Crysis 3 character models. Is it just me or does she look unnatural as ****? I'm not a console hater by any means, I went out and got a PS4 on day one and played every major game on the 360 and PS3. BUT...There are several PC games that look way better than Killzone. When playing the campaign, my first thought when I saw the girl talking was "wow, that doesn't look very next-gen, she looks really weird." Crysis 3's character models and lip-syncing are way better and more natural. Hell, even Half Life 2's lip-syncing is still better than Killzone's.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

why do cows think that chick with the red hood on is some how good graphics? You guys post that picture or a gif of her every time and I don't get. It's pretty f'ing bad.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441  Edited By m3dude1

shes suppose to look weird, shes a vektan. the animation of her face is so far beyond any pc game.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

I get all that but if the end result is the image looking like that then what's the point. It's like how technically a lot of games look better than the uncharted series but aesthetically it looks better than a lot of games that look better on paper. It's not the paint brush that makes an artist an artist. I do like the shadows on her face though.

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443 sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

shes suppose to look weird, shes a vektan. the animation of her face is so far beyond any pc game.

Lol

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#444 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

For those who missed it, Ubisoft responded to hidden options activated by the mod:

The dev team is completely dedicated to getting the most out of each platform, so the notion that we would actively downgrade quality is contrary to everything we've set out to achieve. We test and optimize our games for each platform on which they're released, striving for the best possible quality. The PC version does indeed contain some old, unused render settings that were deactivated for a variety of reasons, including possible impacts on visual fidelity, stability, performance and overall gameplay quality. Modders are usually creative and passionate players, and while we appreciate their enthusiasm, the mod in question (which uses those old settings) subjectively enhances the game's visual fidelity in certain situations but also can have various negative impacts. Those could range from performance issues, to difficulty in reading the environment in order to appreciate the gameplay, to potentially making the game less enjoyable or even unstable.

Link.

Just lol

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445  Edited By m3dude1

the DOF is flat out horrid, the bloom looks bad as well. the headlight shadows i dunno. they dont quite fit in because every other shadow in the game is soft and then u have these doom 3 style stencil shadows. i definitely see why they werent included. i think the headlight shadows are the only thing i can understand some people preferring.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Testing out the DoF in the mod. It's actually controllable. It gets clearer the closer to ground level when viewing.

Ripsaw1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#447 Ripsaw1994
Member since 2013 • 196 Posts

Hasn't been a year and the consoles are already holding back this gen.