Watch Dogs & "hacking" things

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Ok, so with this gen we saw the continuation of the "hacking" gimmick that's been in a lot of games. You know, press this, press that, move your stick, do it in a short period of time. It's been done to death already. So what I'm not getting here is why people are so excited about a game like Watch Dogs where the gameplay REVOLVES around hacking. Am I the only one that sees this as a boring idea? By the way, my perception is that people are really hyped for this game, I could be wrong. Just judging from what I read. 

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
wait hold on since when has hacking been "done to death"?
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

wait hold on since when has hacking been "done to death"?mrmusicman247

He's being a gta fanboy

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

Mostly hermits who can't play GTA V are excited for it.

NathanDrakeSwag
i could go out and buy the GTA V and PS3 bundle if I wanted to this weekend, but I am choosing to upgrade my computer instead. So I have all the means to play it, I just don't care for the game much.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Ok, so with this gen we saw the continuation of the "hacking" gimmick that's been in a lot of games. You know, press this, press that, move your stick, do it in a short period of time. It's been done to death already. So what I'm not getting here is why people are so excited about a game like Watch Dogs where the gameplay REVOLVES around hacking. Am I the only one that sees this as a boring idea? By the way, my perception is that people are really hyped for this game, I could be wrong. Just judging from what I read. 

mrintro

Can you give us examples of these "lots of games" that have employed some form of hacking game mechanics?

Off the top of my head, Deus Ex HR and Mass Effect come to mind. Maybe you can count Bioshock, though a pipes mini game doesn't seem that in line. Still hardly "lots".

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
I always liked Watch Dogs approach so I preordered that. Hopefully it comes through as a well rounded game.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

[QUOTE="mrintro"]

AdobeArtist

Can you give us examples of these "lots of games" that have employed some form of hacking game mechanics?

Off the top of my head, Deus Ex HR and Mass Effect come to mind. Maybe you can count Bioshock, though a pipes mini game doesn't seem that in line. Still hardly "lots".

Dead Space 2 and 3 has hacking as well, but only use it sparingly. I LOVED the hacking Deus Ex HR so if Watchdogs can even come close to that it would be amazing....I doubt it will because it seems a bit dumbed down.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrintro

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="mrintro"]

StrongBlackVine

Dead Space 2 and 3 has hacking as well, but only use it sparingly. I LOVED the hacking Deus Ex HR so if Watchdogs can even come close to that it would be amazing....I doubt it will because it seems a bit dumbed down.

In video games, "hacking" in comes different forms. It can be a puzzle, it can be trying to open something under a certain time, it can be trying to possess someone or something. It's really just the idea of pressing a certain combination of buttons, using QTE, using a certain power, etc. In Bioshock Infinite, you can hack the item machine just by using one of your powers. You can also possess an enemy. And this gimmick has been prevalent in many games, the oldest game I can think of off the top of my head is Ratchet and Clank from the PS2 era. Sly Cooper also had it during the PS2 era. Most recently, I can think of Killzone Mercenary, "hacking" is even one of the multiplayer modes. You have to hack a "node" without getting shot to earn points. In the Fallout games you can hack computers and security doors. Heck, one of your skills is the Science skill which can be used to hack better. Then there are games like Rage, where when you die you have to press the buttons at the same time to prevent death. Is that a form of "hacking"? Well, you can say it's QTE, but it's still the same idea. Press buttons at a certain time. The point that I was making is that this gameplay mechanic to me is not that exciting, and if this is being touted as the best thing about Watch_Dogs, then I'm not really interested. 

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Quite a lot of games i've played have had some kind of hacking ability or some kind of crappy minigame to hack a control panel or a door but nothing on that level, where its actually a main feature of the game.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

wait hold on since when has hacking been "done to death"?mrmusicman247
In pretty much every sci-fi/steampunk RPG, among others, and they almost always amount to pressing buttons at the right time or something like that. They're basically silly little minigames.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="mrintro"]

AdobeArtist

Sleeping Dogs is another. There are probably more... but its early. I wouldn't say its being overused, not yet anyhow. Besides Watchdogs seems to be taking the whole hacking thing to a whole other level. It's far more than just hacking your way into a chest or past a door.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]wait hold on since when has hacking been "done to death"?PernicioEnigma

In pretty much every sci-fi/steampunk RPG, among others, and they almost always amount to pressing buttons at the right time or something like that. They're basically silly little minigames.

how many of those games have there been in the last 10 years?
NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

I think people are excited about Watch Dogs only because it's a new IP marking the beginning of a next gen. And I also think some Hermits are ridding the hype wagon to hide the butthurt caused by GTA V not being availible on the PC.

But as far as the actual game is concerned, I'm not impressed. It looks like an average open world game, full of repetitive, menial tasks. Such padding is a trademark of Ubisoft open world games, ranging from AC to FC3.

The only thing the game had going for were the visuals, that E3 2012 showcase was awesome, but the visuals went through plenty of downgrades since then.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

mrintro

In video games, "hacking" in comes different forms. It can be a puzzle, it can be trying to open something under a certain time, it can be trying to possess someone or something. It's really just the idea of pressing a certain combination of buttons, using QTE, using a certain power, etc. In Bioshock Infinite, you can hack the item machine just by using one of your powers. You can also possess an enemy. And this gimmick has been prevalent in many games, the oldest game I can think of off the top of my head is Ratchet and Clank from the PS2 era. Sly Cooper also had it during the PS2 era. Most recently, I can think of Killzone Mercenary, "hacking" is even one of the multiplayer modes. You have to hack a "node" without getting shot to earn points. In the Fallout games you can hack computers and security doors. Heck, one of your skills is the Science skill which can be used to hack better. Then there are games like Rage, where when you die you have to press the buttons at the same time to prevent death. Is that a form of "hacking"? Well, you can say it's QTE, but it's still the same idea. Press buttons at a certain time. The point that I was making is that this gameplay mechanic to me is not that exciting, and if this is being touted as the best thing about Watch_Dogs, then I'm not really interested. 

That argument could be applied to anything. You might as well have said "stealing cars has been done to death", or anything like that for guns, shooting, puzzles, etc. etc. etc.... "hacking" as you call it (yet you refer to any puzzle involving button prompts AND hacking) hasn't been done any more than any other game mechanic.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Wow... I'm the only one not excited for this boring ass game?
mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrintro

[QUOTE="mrintro"]

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

_Matt_

That argument could be applied to anything. You might as well have said "stealing cars has been done to death", or anything like that for guns, shooting, puzzles, etc. etc. etc.... "hacking" as you call it (yet you refer to any puzzle involving button prompts AND hacking) hasn't been done any more than any other game mechanic.

The point is - what's so exciting about being able to hack everything? 

Dguy103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dguy103
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I'm really doubtful of how this can beat gtav
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

[QUOTE="mrintro"]

AdobeArtist

E.Y.E. is another one. Infact hacking has a big role in the game
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="mrintro"]

StrongBlackVine

same, i thought the hacking in Deus ex was amazingly well done.
L0mak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 L0mak
Member since 2012 • 179 Posts

"press X to hack" doesn't look all that compelling or fun, but I guess you can't blame them for appealing to the low standards that console players have set for themselves.