Wasteland 2 WAS built with console in mind

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

My friends, having claimed for some time now, that Wasteland 2 was very much (from the start) clearly built with consoles in mind, reality has now re-confirmed this fact.

"I loved Wasteland 2. Sure, it was rough around the edges, the combat was at times a tad basic and, as a result, eventually mindless."

"As for combat, Firaxis' wonderful XCOM reboot is a clear inspiration. In fact it's an inspiration for the entire Wasteland 2 console project. Firaxis took turn-based combat and made it easy to play with a console controller."

"The parallels are clear: Firaxis rebooted an old-school PC series for PC and console. InXile is doing the same,"

/www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-27-channeling-xcom-porting-wasteland-2-to-ps4-and-xbox-one

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I want Xcom 2, can i have Xcom 2 running on something like UE4 with full destruction and much more hazardous elements like gasses and poisons? Im waiting, give me dis!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Never play Wasteland.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@davillain- said:

Never play Wasteland.

do what I want

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Okay..... good......

Too bad its got Stats ! :(

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I don't understand how any of that invalidated Wasteland 2 from being a good game. Sure it was nothing spectacular, but it was still a mostly enjoyable crpg.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

I actually thought Wasteland 2's combat UI was better than Divinity OS's, even if the combat itself wasn't nearly as good. Didn't really feel compromised at all for M + K. In fact I'd say the inventory system is decidedly controller-unfriendly.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Since you're primarily a console gamer, you should be happy

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup

Personally I think he's abit of a hypocrite.

Recall watching the kickstarter video with him criticizing and mocking publishers for changing Fallout 3 into an FPS adopted for consoles. Part of the pitch was essentially "this is an old school RPG".

While text wise, you can argue it is. The combat itself is a shitty simplstic console game, and on a whole, the game suffers massively because of it.

Mr Fargo, is just as guilty as Bethesda and basically took steps in the early development akin to exactly what he was criticizing, changing aspects for modern game consoles.

El Hypocritico.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

I don't understand how any of that invalidated Wasteland 2 from being a good game. Sure it was nothing spectacular, but it was still a mostly enjoyable crpg.

TC logic.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#12 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I didn't play Wasteland 2 yet but after watching some gameplay videos, I thought it was more "hardcore" and old school than Divinity: OS, which took old school formulas and executed them in modern way.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

well tc lacks logic.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Lol..no. The game was clearly made with only PC in mind. Has the OP ever played a turn-based cRPG before? Those games always have a lot simplier combat than tactical turn based strategy games. They would be unplayable otherwise. The combat wasn't any different than a lot of classics. If this is what constitutes as "made for consoles" then I guess the original Fallout was also made for consoles.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Cloud_imperium said:

I didn't play Wasteland 2 yet but after watching some gameplay videos, I thought it was more "hardcore" and old school than Divinity: OS, which took old school formulas and executed them in modern way.

Nope, combat is incredibly simplstic repetitive big time Chicago pizza style. In fact, it's very much like Chicago Pizza, advertized as American, but made in Ireland.

When I see pc gamers make out the combat for this, or Witcher 2/3 are somehow pc games, it kinda shows how happily they will through away a legacy and dignity, for honey'd words.

Both Brain Fargo and CDP are full of shit.

It's worth noting as well, Torement: Tides Of Numanuma is being moved over to the same engine as Wasteland 2, Unity 5, I predict this is also (in the games development) pampering it for consoles. On launch, or 6 months most, you can expect that on consoles.

At least Pillars Of Eternity is delivering, it softens the disgusting angry making hypocrisy on display.

Much like when someone runs into the toilet after someones done desperately spraying lynx, the rooms evilness is subsided. Pillars is that can of Lynx, Wasteland 2 was that horrible smell.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It's worth noting as well, Torement: Tides Of Numanuma is being moved over to the same engine as Wasteland 2, Unity 5, I predict this is also (in the games development) pampering it for consoles. On launch, or 6 months most, you can expect that on consoles.

If Torment's combat will be important enough to make or break the game then InXile will fail anyway. Even if it's the very best combat system ever made, it will still be complete failure as Planescap Torment successor.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts
@AdrianWerner said:

@uninspiredcup said:

If Torment's combat will be important enough to make or break the game then InXile will fail anyway. Even if it's the very best combat system ever made, it will still be complete failure as Planescap Torment successor.

During the kickstarter they claimed combat encounters would be few in number and hand crafted, hopefully they'll keep the promise. Biggest problems with Wasteland 2's combat IMO was the uninspired at best encounter design, poor AI, and sheer amount. Perhaps these are what TC considers consolized.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

El Hypocritico.

pot, kettle

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#19  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

"As for combat, Firaxis' wonderful XCOM reboot is a clear inspiration. In fact it's an inspiration for the entire Wasteland 2 console project. Firaxis took turn-based combat and made it easy to play with a console controller."

From that quote, it sounds like they are inspired by Xcom EU's way of handling controller controls; so they will rework the control scheme for the console port. Doesn't sound like it was originally built with consoles in mind. I guess it comes down how you want to interpret it.