Was Titanfall A Failure?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll Was Titanfall A Failure? (248 votes)

Yes 60%
No 40%

This is, I suppose, an interesting question. Titanfall came out earlier this year amidst much hype, and then... it disappeared. Completely. Literally, no one talks about it, not even to criticize it. Its mindshare was absolutely zero.

Was Titanfall a failure? Let's consider the question from various parameters:

• Review scores: Titanfall seems to have done well here, with an overall Metascore of 86, which includes a 9/10 on this very site. This wasn't any world breaking success or anything on this front- and compared, especially, to Zampella and West's last major game (Modern Warfare/2), is a dramatic step down, but it's a reasonable success here.
  • Sales: Things get much messier here. Six months since its initial release, we have no numbers whatsoever for this game. We know that it sold 900,000 in the US on the Xbox One... and that's it. Microsoft won't give us numbers, EA won't give us numbers, Respawn won't give us numbers, third party agencies like NPD won't give us numbers. There is a distinct lack of any commentary on this game's sales performance, apart from various representatives from EA saying 'it did well,' which, if it did, where are the receipts? Why hide the numbers?
  • Online population: Amusingly enough, the game, which can only be played online, seems to have dwindled out as far as the online population goes. To be specific: on PC, the game is a ghost town. You can't find any games without much difficulty, and this is in spite of some major and aggressive Origin sales for the game (at least two in six months) as well as free weekends (also at least two in six months). It's slightly better on Xbox One and Xbox 360, but it's not even the most popular, or the second most popular, shooter on those systems- Call of Duty and Battlefield are both ranked higher.
  • Did it help the Xbox One? This was supposed to be one of this game's primary functions. EA and Microsoft both positioned Titanfall as a major system seller for the Xbox One. When the Xbox One began to fall clearly behind the PS4 right after its launch, people pointed to Titanfall as the game that would reverse (or at least stall) the trend, and help the Xbox One regain momentum. And yet... this did not happen. There was no noticeable increase in Xbox One sales once Titanfall launched. In fact, Xbox One sales fell after the launch of Titanfall in the US (which is the game's and the console's strongest territory), and this was in spite of some aggressive bundling, pricing, and promotions of the game and the console.
  • The biggest game of this year: This ties directly into its sales performance, I guess, but Microsoft billed Titanfall as 'the biggest game of this year' in its press releases leading up to the game's launch. By any metric- review scores, sales, online population, hardware boosts- the game failed at living up to its billing. It is clear that a game like Destiny, for example, or even Smash Bros. 4, will easily beat this game on all of those fronts. Even Mario Kart 8 beat Titanfall on all of those fronts. What was supposed to be the biggest game of this year became barely a blip that didn't even leave any lasting mark on the gaming landscape.
  • The intangibles: There are three intangibles to consider- this game, the next game from the makers of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, was supposed to be one of those games that would reinvent the FPS genre, reconceptualize how we approach shooters. This game, like Halo with FPSs, and Gears of Wars with TPSs, was Microsoft's bid to go for three out of three as far as defining shooter titles being exclusive to the Xbox goes. And finally, this game was supposed to earn the Xbox One (and itself) some major, major mindshare. People would keep talking about the Xbox One, because Titanfall would be the big thing in gaming, and hey, that was only on Xbox One. Each would help the other grow. Except... again, it failed on all these three 'intangible' parameters as well. The game's mindshare, as mentioned above, was absolutely zero. The game changed nothing as far as first person shooters go. And certainly, it being the defining shooter of its generation, or being exclusive to Xbox One, are both laughable notions as far as this game goes. It seems to have, then, failed with the intangible parameters as well.

In my estimation, then, Titanfall was a resounding failure. It may have been a modest sales and reviews success (just barely, at that), but on the whole, on any scale, tangible or intangible, absolute or relative, the game seems to have failed. I don't know what EA, Respawn, or Microsoft expected from Titanfall, but what ultimately happened to it was certainly not it, I am assuming.

What do you think? Did the game fail?

• 
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#1 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

The game is fantastic, too bad it had lackluster sales. :( the only thing I didn't like about was, of course, lack of single player.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Seemed like a good game.

Problems that I can immediately point out: It seems to be a PC friendly shooter, but it isn't Battlefield and it isn't on Steam, so that's a huge mistake from EA.

They didn't market it enough past release. when DLC gets released for CoD I will know about it even though I don't give a shit about CoD. And yet I completely forgot about Titanfall after just a few months, even though I was somewhat interested in it.

CrossFire245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By CrossFire245
Member since 2007 • 1085 Posts

Honestly, I love Titanfall's gameplay. The issue with the game is the lack of replayability (IMO). The lack of guns in a MP-only FPS hurt it a lot.

I own the game and I've found it's one of those games I enjoy in small bunches...meaning I go on and play somewhere from 3-5 games, then stop. It's not like Halo 3 or COD4 where I would play for hours on end.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

No. It was a really fun game and great first step for a new IP. People just had ridiculous unrealistic expectations for the game for some reason.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

No. It was a really fun game and great first step for a new IP. People just had ridiculous unrealistic expectations for the game for some reason.

If by people you mean Microsoft and EA, then yes, I think I agree with you.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

I have to argue about stressing the exclusiveness of the game. This was a game that, long before release, we knew was coming to both the PC and Xbox 360. I would say the majority of gamers in America probably already owned a system capable of playing Titanfall.

It's true that it was "Not on Playstation", but there's no way a multiplatform game that comes out on PC at the exact same time and plays better on it could define the Xbox One.

While Halo 1 and Gears 1 did eventually appear on PC, it wasn't until an entire year+ after release. At the time Gears of War was released, a lot of gamers thought "this is next-gen, only on Xbox 360." Even PC gamers temporarily ceded that a console game had been the most technically and graphically impressive game of 2006, and of course it revolutionized cover mechanics in third person shooters. Titanfall could never hold that level of intangible mindshare no matter how good it was simply because it was multiplatform at launch.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

All PS4 and Wii U owners vote as failure

Gamers who owns many system, played Titanfall knows it´s not failure.

TOTALLY WORTHLESS TOPIC. WE ALL KNOW IT´S NOT FAILURE. NO NEED TO TALK HOW IT FAILED WHEN YOU NOT EVEN PLAYED THIS GAME(LIKE MOST SAYS IT HAS BAD GAMEPLAY, AND YET THAT PERSON NEVER EVEN PLAYED THIS GAME)

in fact Titanfall is best selling Xbox One game. Titanfall outsold Call of Duty, Forza, Battlefield, Dead Rising 3.

Titanfall on Xbox One alone has outsold Killzone Shadow Fall so far

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@FreedomFreeLife said:

TOTALLY WORTHLESS TOPIC. WE ALL KNOW IT´S NOT FAILURE. NO NEED TO TALK HOW IT FAILED WHEN YOU NOT EVEN PLAYED THIS GAME(LIKE MOST SAYS IT HAS BAD GAMEPLAY, AND YET THAT PERSON NEVER EVEN PLAYED THIS GAME)

This post is, somehow, even dumber than the post you made in that other thread. My mind is just boggled right now, your Gamespot account is a monument to what humanity can achieve if it just stops trying, really.

@SakusEnvoy said:

I have to argue about stressing the exclusiveness of the game. This was a game that, long before release, we knew was coming to both the PC and Xbox 360. I would say the majority of gamers in America probably already owned a system capable of playing Titanfall.

It's true that it was "Not on Playstation", but there's no way a multiplatform game that comes out on PC at the exact same time and plays better on it could define the Xbox One.

While Halo 1 and Gears 1 did eventually appear on PC, it wasn't until an entire year+ after release. At the time Gears of War was released, a lot of gamers thought "this is next-gen, only on Xbox 360." Even PC gamers temporarily ceded that a console game had been the most technically and graphically impressive game of 2006, and of course it revolutionized cover mechanics in third person shooters. Titanfall could never hold that level of intangible mindshare no matter how good it was simply because it was multiplatform at launch.

Definitely, I agree with you. And yet that was somehow what EA and Microsoft intended- they wanted to have their cake and eat it too, they wanted a game with that kind of mindshare, but they didn't want to take the risk by not putting it on a platform with a built in large install base. Ironically, the game not being exclusive may have hurt it more than pure exclusivity would have.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Don't think it failed. Think it just did well

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lostrib

@FreedomFreeLife said:

in fact Titanfall is best selling Xbox One game. Titanfall outsold Call of Duty, Forza, Battlefield, Dead Rising 3.

Titanfall on Xbox One alone has outsold Killzone Shadow Fall so far

No one cares about your worthless opinion. Stop putting your bullshit in caps, it doesn't make your bullshit any better

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Does anyone else find it a bit odd how PvZ Garden Warfare's PC player population seems to absolutely dwarf Titanfalls player population? I'm going on conjecture here, I don't have actual numbers.

This raises a rather interesting question. Why?

People say Titanfall didn't sell well or retain players because of no SP campaign. PvZ makes even less of an attempt to have a story or real SP component.

People say Titanfall didn't sell well or retain players on PC because it is Origin exclusive... but PvZ is also Origin exclusive...

So, why? Is PvZ actually a better shooter? Are people just sick of modern/future shooters? Does PvZ's free DLC actually count for *THAT* much?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Yes and no

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lostrib

@PraetorianMan said:

Does anyone else find it a bit odd how PvZ Garden Warfare's PC player population seems to absolutely dwarf Titanfalls player population?

People say Titanfall didn't sell well because of no SP campaign. PvZ makes even less of an attempt to have a story or real SP component.

People say Titanfall didn't sell well on PC because it is Origin exclusive... but PvZ is also Origin exclusive...

So, why? Is PvZ actually a better shooter? Are people just sick of modern/future shooters?

where are the stats on PVZ population vs TitanFall population?

And remember PVZ is more recent, and for the past week or more you could play PVZ free for a limited time with Origin Game Time

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

As for Titanfall itself?

It was NOT A failure for Respawn.
It was NOT a failure for EA

It WAS a failure for Microsoft.

Respawn is a small studio that just created a new IP, as far as they are probably concerned it did fabulously well.

EA got a bag full of cash from Microsoft, so whether or not the game actually sold well is probably of little importance to them. Whatever copies that they do sell is just gravy to them.

Microsoft seems to have invested a huge amount of money into the game's exclusivity, marketing, and hype. They put a LOT into the game and were counting on it to be a system seller... and it wasn't. It was a failure for them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@PraetorianMan said:

Does anyone else find it a bit odd how PvZ Garden Warfare's PC player population seems to absolutely dwarf Titanfalls player population? I'm going on conjecture here, I don't have actual numbers.

People say Titanfall didn't sell well because of no SP campaign. PvZ makes even less of an attempt to have a story or real SP component.

People say Titanfall didn't sell well on PC because it is Origin exclusive... but PvZ is also Origin exclusive...

So, why? Is PvZ actually a better shooter? Are people just sick of modern/future shooters? Does PvZ's free DLC actually count for *THAT* much?

PvZ actually managed to appeal to a market without much competition- the casual, family friendly shooter market, a market where there is literally nothing else as of right now. Titanfall? Titanfall was entering the military-sci/fi shooter market, a market with Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Gears of War, Killzone, Resistance, and on and on and on. It was always going to have a harder time.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

They should do a Steam release, and put it on half price.....bound to make them tons of cash not joking.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@PraetorianMan said:

As for Titanfall itself?

It was NOT A failure for Respawn.

It was NOT a failure for EA

It WAS a failure for Microsoft.

Respawn is a small studio that just created a new IP, as far as they are probably concerned it did fabulously well.

EA got a bag full of cash from Microsoft, so whether or not the game actually sold well is probably of little importance to them. Whatever copies that they do sell is just gravy to them.

Microsoft seems to have invested a huge amount of money into the game's exclusivity, marketing, and hype. They put a LOT into the game and were counting on it to be a system seller... and it wasn't. It was a failure for them.

Yep. It sold 3 million copies and the dev budget couldn't have been very high without a campaign. MS probably handled a lot of the marketing. I doubt Titanfall needed to sell 5-6 million like Tombraider needed to be a success.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cranler

@RoboCopISJesus said:

They should do a Steam release, and put it on half price.....bound to make them tons of cash not joking.

EA didn't spend millions on Origin to continue using steam as a sales partner.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Best selling game on Xbox One. Titanfall sold 925,000 physical units in it's first month

I don't see how the game could be considered a failure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@R3FURBISHED said:

Best selling game on Xbox One. Titanfall sold 925,000 physical units in it's first month

I don't see how the game could be considered a failure.

Well, I outline multiple parameters by which it is a failure in the OP, and then detail them. At the same time, I also acknowledge that it was a modest sales success.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mems_1224

@charizard1605 said:

@mems_1224 said:

I mean, they marketed the shit out of that game but Titanfall got a ton of unwarranted hate for not revolutionizing the FPS genre which is a bullshit thing to hold against any game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mems_1224 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@mems_1224 said:

I mean, they marketed the shit out of that game but Titanfall got a ton of unwarranted hate for not revolutionizing the FPS genre which is a bullshit thing to hold against any game.

The issue is, that is what they marketed the game as. The next Halo. The next Gears of War. The next Modern Warfare. The savior of the Xbox One. The biggest game of the year. At one point or another, all of these monikers were at the very least implicitly associated with the game, but it was none of them.

Was it a good game? I guess it played well, even though it had a shocking absence of content considering the price it went for. Did it do reasonably well for a new IP, judged in a vacuum? Sure, why not. Did it do well within context, by any measure? No, it did not.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

Just another failed attempt on "killing CoD" by EA.

I am sure the game itself is fun.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Failure in what way? For itself as a title or to give MS the needed boost it never got?

Was it a fun MP game... I didn't play it, but from friends who had and other people on here I'd say they made a fun game and were a success on that end.

Did it help boost the Xbox One to greater success? No, but it gave it a momentary uptick but nothing sustained. But, whose to say earlier buyers of the X1 wouldn't have done so if they didn't anticipate Titanfall on the horizon.

Now, not like I'm holding onto a thread or anything, but the Japanese did respond favorably to the game when presented to them, because they love that mech stuff. And, we have the X1 releasing in Japan in about a week. It'd be interesting to see what kind of impact the game has on their market, if any. Who knows, maybe Psycho-Pass game or Crimson Dragon might have a bigger impact. Doubt it'll break much ground, but it'll be interesting to see how they receive it nonetheless.

Considering Respawn is starting from the group up after the fiasco at Activision and Infinity Ward, I'd say it's a decent first step, especially since it's hard work making a game from scratch. People follow IPs and not the talent that makes them. VG Chartz says over 3 million in sales on both Xbox systems, wonder how it did on PC (though digital numbers are kept hush hush). I'd say Respawn is off to a good start with a first game, once it goes multiplat I imagine it'll have a big fanbase waiting on the PS4.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

In my opinion, it was a failure, maybe not as big as some people claim, but yes, it wasn't this gen's Halo nor Gears, and let's face it, that was MS goal with Titanfall, and it does look kind of fun, at least much more than CoD multiplayer which i totally hate, sadly i think this game just fell in a oversaturated market in the worst possible time.

-and i'm agree with Char on something, this was forgotten so fast, that there was a time when i was like "what the hell happened to Titanfall, did they cancel it? wait wut?, it was released a few months ago"

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mems_1224

@charizard1605 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@mems_1224 said:

The issue is, that is what they marketed the game as. The next Halo. The next Gears of War. The next Modern Warfare. The savior of the Xbox One. The biggest game of the year. At one point or another, all of these monikers were at the very least implicitly associated with the game, but it was none of them.

Was it a good game? I guess it played well, even though it had a shocking absence of content considering the price it went for. Did it do reasonably well for a new IP, judged in a vacuum? Sure, why not. Did it do well within context, by any measure? No, it did not.

Journalists hyped it as the biggest game of the year and why would they not capitalize on that with their marketing? And the way this year is shaking up it might just be the biggest release this year.

Again, saying a game failed because it didn't revolutionize the industry is a terrible complaint. Gears, Halo and MW all changed the industry. Are we going to hold it against Destiny if it doesn't revolutionize the video game industry? Will that game be considered a failure as well? Because thats essentially what you're saying about Titanfall.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mems_1224 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Journalists hyped it as the biggest game of the year and why would they not capitalize on that with their marketing? And the way this year is shaking up it might just be the biggest release this year.

Again, saying a game failed because it didn't revolutionize the industry is a terrible complaint. Gears, Halo and MW all changed the industry. Are we going to hold it against Destiny if it doesn't revolutionize the video game industry? Will that game be considered a failure as well? Because thats essentially what you're saying about Titanfall.

I'm already saying, in a vacuum, judged for what it was, it was at least a modest success if nothing else. The problem is, games (like everything else) are judged in context, and in context, Titanfall was a failure. Was that unfair to it? Probably, I guess, but that does go both ways.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Definitely a fail for microsoft.. The hype was fabricated. The actual buzz never matched all the press awards the game got and it didn't move consoles

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

The game is extremely fun. I still play it almost daily. The only downfall would be the lack of content.

The foundation is there, so they've really set themselves up for something special with Titanfall 2. So no, I don't think its a failure.

And I've never had an issue in finding online games on Xbox One. Ever.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Did they market it as that though? Or was it something the press was doing on their own?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@topgunmv said:

@charizard1605 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Did they market it as that though? Or was it something the press was doing on their own?

Implicitly, all of those statements were attached to the game. Especially the 'biggest game of the year' and the 'savior of Xbox One' statements, those were pretty explicit. The others were implicitly attached to the game.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

No it's still the best new first person shooter to date. Matches are always full since online is still very active. A new studio creating a new game that became successful so now it will be a new franchise. I bought this game digitally so since there's no data on that, I'm not sure how that factors in the real total sales for this successful game. New content should have came quicker though.

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

There just wasnt enough content to keep me coming back... there is pretty much 2 guns worth using out of the whole game and it just started to feel stale.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Not the point. They'd make cash doing what I stated.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

TF came out of the oven half-baked. The game is five months old and already the buzz is gone. I remember when new IP GeoW released, that buzz lasted years as did Halo, Halo 2, and Halo 3.

It sold good, but it could have been a Megablockbuster super title if EA and Respawn didn't release it as they did. Of course, word of mouth spread and sales slowed.

It was a fun game for two weeks and then I realized how shallow the game was and I never turned it on again. I bought it with a dozen friends and none of us play it now. I still own TF, but I've moved on. It sold a lot, so it's not a failure, but it's certainly not the game it could have been with more thought, care, and development time.

As I said ages ago, after playing it TF2 is hopefully the game TF should have been. Hopefully Respawn can avoid rushing it out in some sort deal and make the game I feel they could have created with enough time. Maybe my faith in them is higher than their current talent, but when I compare their previous works like COD2, COD4: MW1, or COD6: MW2...It's hard the same guys behind those games created such a content-weak, shallow game considering their previous experience.

They had a good idea with TitanFall, but then it's like they wanted to rely on that idea and just didn't have time to flesh it out. It reminds me of early games that devs cook up and you get to play it and see what they are doing and think, that's fun, but you know the game is two years away and they have plenty of time to fix and polish the rough but fun gameplay of the demo. TF didn't have that dev time.

TF came out of the oven too early (probably to help move consoles).

In other news, Respawn said they are winding down support TF after five months! That was a headline today at GS.

Another headline:

Also, Respawn, the Titanfall Developer, is Thinking About Free-To-Play.

Respawn discusses its plans for the future, such as moving into the free-to-play space. It's nice to know TF will possibly be F2P in the future after they got their money selling it at full retail price.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I think it's a failure as far as EA's expectations are concerned, it just kinda fizzled out and very soon after release.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Ye pretty much, I barely hear about it apart from an odd thread like this one and if Origin is doing a sale/promotion for it.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cranler

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Not the point. They'd make cash doing what I stated.

They would be shooting themselves in the foot by going back to steam.

Does the extra profit per sale and getting more exposure to the Origin store offset the cost of running Origin and not being on steam? Only EA can answer that but they're in it for the long game.

Also notice how BF 4 has more players than every steam required CoD combined.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

The premise of this thread is that a game is a failure if it fails to live up to a literal interpretation of it's hype? That is just weird. The word comes from the hyperbole spouted by people promoting a product. If living up to a literal interpretation of the hype was a requirement for avoiding failure, no game with a multimillion dollar advertizing campaign would ever succeed.

Titanfall is a brand new IP that sold pretty well in an industry where betting on a new IP can cause a studio to fold. Twisting that into a failure by juxtaposing it with the media blitz is pretty disingenuous. On the other hand, hypeless launches would be all kinds of comical.

Last of Us super HD definitive Oscar edition: Almost as good as a Netflix original series. !WARNING! contains mild gameplay elements.

Beyond Earth: Look no one believes the "one more turn before bed line." Why don't you just shoot for trying not to drool when your eyes glaze over. That is a much more realistic goal. Pre-order bonus includes boss yelling over how late you are.

Star Citizen: Yeah, we all know you will move on long before the game is "finished" but we are going to keep accepting donations until our stretch goals are mapped out to 2019.

Sunset Overdrive: Coming to Games with Gold 2015.

Evolve: Communication is going to be super important in this game, so get ready to listen to a doof squeal about how you are doing it all wrong.

Haloed Gears of Battleduty's Honor XVII: Got to pay for more stripperpult ammo somehow.

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts

yup it's the biggest failure in gaming history. it's the most overhyped and most advertised game and yet only achieved relatively mediocre sale number result

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I loved it while it lasted. I don't really game with my friends online these days and that's where this game shines.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Without a proper context for failure, the thread is abit stupid.

Score whise, it's a sucess, with 86 MC. Sales and profit wise, depends on which party. MS, EA or Respawn?

And even then, which of these do you mean?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Great game that people that haven't played it are still salty.

Lastly, The One doesn't and didn't need saving.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

The gameplay was fantastic..... sadly though the level of content and variety was not and I believe that was its downfall.

You cant make a game in the same genre as CoD and not have competitive level unlocks/variety.... even if your gameplay is 10x better.

I loved it on release.... prestige 5 in less than 2 weeks.... the speed takes you back to when arena shooters were actual GOOD and not moonwalkers like Halo.

Maybe Titanfall 2 will correct this.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Did well for a new IP

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

I look forward to give it a whirl when I get The One. I've heard nothing but good things about the game and certainly at this point there's nothing like it on The Bore so w/e. :P

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Considering how this game was hyped to be the be all end all of FPS it failed quite hard.

It has 86 on meta.

It failed to spark xbox one sales over the PS4.

and failed to make great sales as well.

One of the biggest failures in years,compare with the hype and money spent on it promoting it.