Was Microsoft's acquisition of Rare worth it in hindsight?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts

Rare was a big deal back in the 90s and early 2000s. Donkey Kong, Banjo Kazooie, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, all great classics. Since the acquisition in 2002, the only Rare game I can think of that's been fairly successful was Sea of Thieves. I did enjoy Killer Instinct for X1 for what it was..but overall, would you say Microsoft's acquisition of Rare worth it in hindsight, SW?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38832 Posts

They killed the studio. Killer Instrict was the only very high quality title from them.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

Do we really need to have several Microsoft acquisitition-related threads?

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@onesiphorus: copium, bitterness pretty much sums it up

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

For me it was. I really enjoyed Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Piñata, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Also their back catalogue has been well treated and made available to play on current gen systems. I love Nintendo but there’s no telling how things would have turned out there, especially when it comes to how their back catalogue of games would have been treated.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Sea Of Thieves is one of Microsoft's biggest and most successful IP's to date. We'll have to wait and see what Rare does next.

Killer Instinct on the Xbox One wasn't developed by Rare.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Sea of Thieves has certainly grown into something, adds to the value of their subscription service, not to mention everything under the Rare Replay umbrella, and the studio's IPs.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69431 Posts

Finally, the first copium thread. I know it was coming. 😂

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blaznwiipspman1  Online
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Yes, it was. Just for the ip alone, banjo, conkers, perfect dark. These have potential, and it's up to MS to develop them. But if they did, there would be a bunch of nintendo fans interested.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

I think, other than the avatar stuff, Rare has been great. I have enjoyed their games, even Nuts and Bolts

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8198 Posts

Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Piñata, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts sea of thieves killer instinct

The motion shit MS tried to do was a bust tho

They got some decent games out of rare, could be better tho

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blaznwiipspman1  Online

@sargentd: the cows just don't understand how big rare was back in the day. They literally invented the entire console fps genre with golden eye and perfect dark. People call halo the game that put fps on consoles on the map. And that would be true. But when golden eye released back in 1997, at the time it was being called the greatest fps game of all time, not just on console but across all platforms. There was nothing that could match up to Golden eye or perfect dark in it's peak. The fact MS has access to both IPs is a huge win for them.

To this day, there's a bunch of people salty about nintendo selling off rare to MS. And yes it's true that while they haven't lived up to expectations, rare was a great pickup for MS.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: comparing Rare under Nintendo vs Rare under Xbox, it's not even close.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SargentD

@blaznwiipspman1: golden eye was my childhood , it was the game I got with my N64. Best 4 player split screen at the time, everybody loved that game.

I heard a new golden eye might be getting worked on now. If they do it, it's gotta have that arcadey 4 player splitscreen and online.

I'm a big fan of platformers and Banjo kazooi with Mario 64 was cream of the crop. Rare is solid.

I still haven't tried sea of theves but I've heard they added alot of good stuff, might check it out on GP

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@thedork_knight said:

@onesiphorus: copium, bitterness pretty much sums it up

Sony kids are so mad today. Love it. They cry about exclusives being anti-gamer, but then you ask them for Demon Souls or Spider-Man on XBOX and they cry more.

Hypocrites.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

We had R.C. Pro AM Battletoads Donkey Kong Country 1-3 Golden Eye Perfect Dark

NOW LOOK AT MICROSOFTS RARE bunch of crap viva pinata crap crap

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blaznwiipspman1  Online

@SolidGame_basic: thats definitely true, but MS has the IP, and they just need some competent studio to work on it alongside rare. Which they have plenty of.

I personally MS should divert resources from activision to build up more of these games. We really don't need a COD every single year.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blaznwiipspman1  Online

@sargentd: yep golden eye was my childhood too haha. 4 player split screen would definitely be cool to see again on a goldeneye.

As for sea of thieves, I heard it sucked at the start but rare kept working on it and now its a solid game with a decent sized community.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SargentD

@zerothehero: but Protos, you said this

"The Xbox brand needs FF to survive imo without it its a crap brand filled with shooters"

How we supposed to take you seriously

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

I have no clue of how much money Rare's games have given MS, so I can't answer.

Personally though, I think Rare is a good studio, that sadly went from "fucking awesome" with Nintendo to just "good" with MS. Sea of Thieves is good, but could've been much better. Killer Instinct is really good, but I personally think it's sabotaged with the addition of auto combos. Seriously. Auto combos? In a fighting game? The **** is the point of playing then?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#22 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Probably not. It was a very different Microsoft back then.

Having said that, it's a very different Rare today as well, even though they're doing relatively better these days.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7230 Posts

In opinion it hasn't worked as ms hoped they brought a shell of the company it was. There is some promise with the ongoing work on sea of thieves.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46254 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: you should check out Kameo at 60fps on XSX

It's one of the main reasons I want an XSX

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

Sea of Thieves remains as my go-to chill out game of choice, and Rare have done a great job producing a fun, unique experience. Other games they’ve made under MS have been good, but SOT is my favourite Rare game. Yes, it was worth buying Rare.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56081 Posts

Rare was already a sunken ship before they join MS many years ago and there's a reason why Nintendo didn't want them at all when Rare pleaded help to buy them out but Rare had poor management issues and Nintendo abandon them for that. MS just happened to somewhat finish the job and everything you see Rare is a shadow of it's former-self. Sea of Thieves is now better than it was on launch day but nowhere near as good now as No Man's Sky.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

With Rare's awesome 360 offerings and now with Sea of mofo Thieves becoming a yuuuuge success I'd have to say it was a match made in gaming heaven for both MS/Rare. :P

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#28 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

MS-era Rare is a different company from Nintendo-era Rare. Much of the staff from Nintendo-era Rare left in the MS era. It's not the same company anymore. The old Rare died after MS acquired it.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Nope, couldn't finish any of their X360 offerings and later on their games got even worse.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#30  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

The last game I liked from Rare was Kameo: Elements of Power. So, the Rare acquisition was definitely a bust.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8852 Posts

Sea of Thieves is one of the biggest games on XBL. Some of the games that Rare has created while part of MSGS include:

• Perfect Dark Zero
  • Kameo
  • Viva Pinata
  • multiple Kinect projects

The problem with Rare is that they were put on Kinect projects last gen. While their Kinect games were good, no one wanted the Kinect (yet another MS blunder in the XBO days), and the Kinect itself was garbage. So, they didn't "kill the studio", they were just making games that were not talked about in SW.

Rare is now at over 200 devs, MS has increased the size of the company every year for the past 5 years.

• @SolidGame_basic said:

Rare was a big deal back in the 90s and early 2000s. Donkey Kong, Banjo Kazooie, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, all great classics. Since the acquisition in 2002, the only Rare game I can think of that's been fairly successful was Sea of Thieves. I did enjoy Killer Instinct for X1 for what it was..but overall, would you say Microsoft's acquisition of Rare worth it in hindsight, SW?

@hardwenzen said:

They killed the studio. Killer Instrict was the only very high quality title from them.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 910 Posts

Yes

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

@dabear:

Yup, Rare rocked on 360, all those games scored GS 8.0's and were some of the most unique games offered that gen.

MS buying Rare was some of the most saltiest times in VG history and as you can likely tell it remains much the same even to this day.

lol :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#35 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69431 Posts

Rare games are overrated.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8852 Posts

@Pedro said:

Rare games are overrated.

I don't think Sea of Thieves is overrated. It's an 8/10 game (for me), and has gotten better and better since launch.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7230 Posts

My problem with rare is they take so long releasing games everwild probably 4 years out.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Rare really should have made BK3 instead of Nuts & Bolts, but they didn't.

Seems like they finally got a hit with Sea of Thieves tho. That game seems to be fairly popular.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

No they didn't, the original team left a long time ago. Rare is only worth their IPs now.

The latest Killer Instinct isn't a RARE game, they only consulted. Another developer made the latest Killer Instinct game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

No they didn't, the original team left a long time ago. Rare is only worth their IPs now.

The latest Killer Instinct isn't a RARE game, they only consulted. Another developer made the latest Killer Instinct game.

Then explain to me how is it that they didn't make anything worthwhile the first few years after they were acquired? I mean, they were in charge of creating Avatar's clothing lol

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#42 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

Yup. I watched sea of thieves grow into a blast to play with others. Game is so fun with a crew of friends or making new ones.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

sea of thieves was by and far the best new IP last gen and is still going strong as a GAAS with new content and events and a large playerbase. They are also working on a new IP everwilds. people liked killer instinct as well and gave them a launch title but i'm not into fighting games. excited about everwilds though

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

Then explain to me how is it that they didn't make anything worthwhile the first few years after they were acquired? I mean, they were in charge of creating Avatar's clothing lol

Okay, I will explain it to you. They actually started making poor games BEFORE they were acquired.

What were they doing on the GameCube that was so great? Star Fox Adventures?

The N64 was their golden era, but they struggled ever since. MS got them right at the end of their use.

They did make a few good games early on the Xbox 360, up until 2007. What happened then? The Stamper brothers left gaming completely.

A developers is only as good as their staff. What is Nintendo without Miyamoto and others like him?

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Classic Rare isn't that great IMO. So they are kind of at the same spot. There was a phase when MS gave very little creative freedom to their teams and that hurt them no doubt. But they seem to be doing fine with SoT.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hardwenzen

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

Okay, I will explain it to you. They actually started making poor games BEFORE they were acquired.

What were they doing on the GameCube that was so great? Star Fox Adventures?

The N64 was their golden era, but they struggled ever since. MS got them right at the end of their use.

They did make a few good games early on the Xbox 360, up until 2007. What happened then? The Stamper brothers left gaming completely.

A developers is only as good as their staff. What is Nintendo without Miyamoto and others like him?

So MS purchased a pointless developer? Interesting.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7200 Posts

@hardwenzen: They only purchased half, Nintendo gave them the other half for free. Microsoft promised to put Sony out of business and Nintendo agreed. The deal will soon pay off.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: They only purchased half, Nintendo gave them the other half for free. Microsoft promised to put Sony out of business and Nintendo agreed. The deal will soon pay off.

What's your opinion about it?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#49 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

I mean, it eviscerated one of it's competition in gen six. But... that's about it.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12946 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Rare is great. Sea of Thieves is their most successful game to date. Viva Piñata was huge and had a cartoon for Saturday mornings too.