Was Kirby's Epic Yarn originally intended to be a Yoshi game...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

For years Kirby has been about sucking up enemies and taking on their powers.Yoshi has been about using your tongue to eat enemies and fire them out, as well as grab onto things with you tongue and interact with them. Yoshi games have also always had unique visual styles from Yoshi's Island crayon look to Yoshi's story stitched look in some of the levels, whereas Kirby has usually just looked like a traditional platformer (usually).

Now look at this video of the new Kirby game notice how it really does look like the gameplay and unique visual design would be better suited to Yoshi. Pay attention to Kirby's main method of attack for example, and consider how it really does seem very similar in use to Yohsi's tongue and signature move. Notice how he also transforms into different vehicles and stuff, just like Yoshi did in Yoshi's Island. Notice on the final boss how he uses his, whatever it is (would have been Yoshi's tongue), to grab the rocket and throw it back at the boss just like Yoshi does in SMG2. Also, notice when Kriby grabs the first zip that it actually sounds like he shouts Yoshi as he does so:http://uk.wii.ign.com/dor/objects/853826/kirby-/videos/e310_kirbyey_trl_061510.html

I actually have a feeling this probably started out as a Yoshi game but Nintendo decided to switch out Yoshi for Kirby because they were aware that everyone was asking for a new Kirby game, and since they already put Yoshi in a couple of recent Mario games I suspect they just decided to replace Yohsi with Kirby to put out a game that would appease all the people asking for Kirby out there.

Basically, I'm saying it doesn't look like a proper Kirby game. It looks good but I think they would have been better putting Yoshi in that game personally because everything I have seen fits Yoshi better and they should have focused on creating a Kirby game that retained the gameplay we have all come to relate to Kirby over the years, and let's face it, the gameplay we were all expecting when we constantly shouted about bringing us a new Kirby game.

Now this game however, well, that was clearly always intended to be a Donkey Kong game:http://uk.wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14354707/donkey-kong-country-returns/videos/e310_dkong_trl_061510.html;jsessionid=274qo5wtbnr7c

At least the new Donkey Kong game is exactly what I would have hoped for based on what I have seen and funnily enough it looks to have bettered the New Super Mario Bros Wii game in relation to what I though they were going to do with NSMBWii and how I would have like to have seen it presented.

Still, regardless of all that, it's actually great to see so many "traditional" platform games coming to the Wii. I have always preferred the 2D gameplay of the more traditional platformers over the new 3D ones and this is great for gamers like me.

I just feel like Nintendo might be pulling the wool over our eyes a little bit with this one (see what I did there).

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Why does it matter? Even if it did, it still looks good?
Oonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Oonga
Member since 2010 • 633 Posts

Interesting, but i doubt it. I just dont see Sakurai working on a Mario game (new yoshi island) and hes been on this project from day 1. It looks like nothing more than a graphical inspiration and an evolution of the franchise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Kirby still has powers though.
88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

possibly, i think what's really appealing to people is the gameplay and art style, if it had been Yoshi's Epic Yarn people would probably be just as interested

either that, or the Yoshi team made the Kirby game, which is always a possibility

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 amaneuvering

Why does it matter? Even if it did, it still looks good?mrmusicman247

Well it definitely looks like a cool game but as soon as I saw it just felt slightly off for some reason and I think it's because it probably is a Yoshi game with Kirby shoehorned in rather than a true Kirby game.

To be blunt, I obviously want great games but I also want them to make relative sense and I don't want Nintendo to just take games that fit something else better and were probably being developed as another franchise originally and slap on another character just so the fanboys can feel like they got what they asked for, which is what I think is the case here.

I mean if we are being very honest here then I think it's fair to say we still haven't got the true Kirby game we have been asking for and I think that is kind of my point.

Still, another cool Yoshi game is all good by me, even if Yoshi has undergone some kind of radical appearance altering surgery or something...

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 amaneuvering

possibly, i think what's really appealing to people is the gameplay and art style, if it had been Yoshi's Epic Yarn people would probably be just as interested

either that, or the Yoshi team made the Kirby game, which is always a possibility

88mphSlayer

Yeah, something like that could be possible too.

All I know is that to me it definitely looks more like a Yoshi game but with the original characters substituted for Kirby. The only thing that makes me doubt it in the slightest is the fact that one of the original adverts for Kirby back in day used this exact visual look too, so it could be they were just inspired by that original ad. Still, that being the case, I don't see why they couldn't have had a traditionally playing Kirby game, where he sucks up his enemies and adsorbs their power, with that same wool look.

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

[QUOTE="88mphSlayer"]

amaneuvering

All I know is that to me it definitely looks more like a Yoshi game but with the original characters substituted for Kirby. The only thing that makes me doubt it in the slightest is the fact that one of the original adverts for Kirby back in day used this exact visual look too, so it could be they were just inspired by that original ad. Still, that being the case, I don't see why they couldn't have had a traditionally playing Kirby game, where he sucks up his enemies and adsorbs their power, with that same wool look.

that would've been over the top if when Kirby sucked stuff up you saw it floating around inside his body, still - can't wait to play this

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="88mphSlayer"]

88mphSlayer

that would've been over the top if when Kirby sucked stuff up you saw it floating around inside his body, still - can't wait to play this

That would have been very cool lol
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Looks like it fit Kirby perfectly to me. I know this bears some resemblance to Yoshi's Story from the 64 days, but that game was actually very underwhelming, with very few interesting mechanics. This looks quite the opposite.

Of course, there is always something to be critical about. A beautiful looking game with some interesting gameplay just has to have some flaws.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 amaneuvering

Looks like it fit Kirby perfectly to me. I know this bears some resemblance to Yoshi's Story from the 64 days, but that game was actually very underwhelming, with very few interesting mechanics. This looks quite the opposite.

Of course, there is always something to be critical about. A beautiful looking game with some interesting gameplay just has to have some flaws.

jimkabrhel

Let me describe a game to you...

This game has a colourful hand stitched look to the graphics. The main character can use his (long thing he shoots out from his body) to grab onto objects in the environment and then swing from them, or pull buttons/switches/strings to affect the level, or grab projectiles and bombs which he can then fire back at the enemies, or pick up enemies and throw them, or even grab another player and throw them. He can transform into various vehicles that have aspects of his visual design incorporated into them. It's a family friendly game with a cute main character that yips and yelps cute little sounds as he jumps around. It even sounds like he says Yoshi when he grabs and pulls a zip.It's subtitle is Epic Yarn (a yarn is another word for story).He can float or hover slightly after jumping. It's a platform game involving lots of collecting jems and stars and flowers.

I didn't say the game was crap in any way.

Now, please tell me if I'm somehow being completely unreasonable here when I say that looks and sounds like a Yohsi game to me.

All I'm saying is that it looks and sounds and plays like a Yoshi game that has had Kirby stuck on top, or that's what I'm clearly seeing in these videos anyway, and personally I think Nintendo should have just left it as a Yoshi game and made a separate Kirby that actually uses Kirby's pretty well defined and long standing gameplay mechanics and game design.

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts

yoshi and kirby have very similar game mechanics

yoshi has his tongue, kirby has his vacuum ability

yoshi has his flutter jump, kirby has his infinite baloon flight

kirby has the additional ability to copy enemies and yoshi can lay and shoot eggs but outside of that they are very similar gameplaywise

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 amaneuvering

kirby has the additional ability to copy enemies and yoshi can lay and shoot eggs but outside of that they are very similar gameplaywise

farnham

And even more so now.

Maybe they could have made it a joint game where one player plays as Yoshi and the other as Kirby. Since it already has a two player mode.

Now that would have made perfect sense based on what the game has become and it would have been something very special and indeed Epic.

Kirby's and Yoshi's Epic Yarn.

darkshadow64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darkshadow64
Member since 2004 • 6744 Posts
Well I've been a fan of Kirby since Superstar on the SNES (one of my favourite games of all time) but as more Kirby games came out, it all became too much of the same. With the new look and gameplay mechanics, Kirby's caught my interest again.
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts

[QUOTE="farnham"]

amaneuvering

And even more so now.

Maybe they could have made it a joint game where one player plays as Yoshi and the other as Kirby. Since it already has a two player mode.

Now that would have made perfect sense based on what the game has become and it would have been something very special and indeed Epic.

Kirby's and Yoshi's Epic Yarn.

id like to see a seperate yoshi game though. yoshi island 2 on ds was already superb so maybe artoon could do another one
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

amaneuvering

Let me describe a game to you...

This game has a colourful hand stitched look to the graphics. The main character can use his (long thing he shoots out from his body) to grab onto objects in the environment and then swing from them, or pull buttons/switches/strings to affect the level, or grab projectiles and bombs which he can then fire back at the enemies, or pick up enemies and throw them, or even grab another player and throw them. He can transform into various vehicles that have aspects of his visual design incorporated into them. It's a family friendly game with a cute main character that yips and yelps cute little sounds as he jumps around. It even sounds like he says Yoshi when he grabs and pulls a zip.It's subtitle is Epic Yarn (a yarn is another word for story).He can float or hover slightly after jumping. It's a platform game involving lots of collecting jems and stars and flowers.

I didn't say the game was crap in any way.

Now, please tell me if I'm somehow being completely unreasonable here when I say that looks and sounds like a Yohsi game to me.

All I'm saying is that it looks and sounds and plays like a Yoshi game that has had Kirby stuck on top, or that's what I'm clearly seeing in these videos anyway, and personally I think Nintendo should have just left it as a Yoshi game and made a separate Kirby that actually uses Kirby's pretty well defined and long standing gameplay mechanics and game design.

I have seen Epic Yarn videos and have played many games with Yoshi in it. The game mechanics are similar, to be sure, but I see no reason that Epic Yarn would be better in any way with Yoshi instead of Kirby. It doesn't at all seem to me that this was developed with Yoshi in mind, then changed to have Kirby instead.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

It matters not, the game looks great either way.

edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 edo-tensei
Member since 2007 • 4581 Posts

Don't know, but i love the art style of this game.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's very probable, but remember, this kind of thing happens in gaming all the time, we just don't even notice.

As long as it's good...but still, I thank you for that interesting hypothesis, TC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
I don't know, I'd say it's a needless conspiracy theory, in fact. Just enjoy the game for what it is, as opposed to wondering what it was MEANT to be. As we all know, SMG2 was meant to be an expansion pack for the original, ad look how THAT turned out.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#21 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Or maybe you know Nintendo wanted to change the way Kirby plays?

though don't you think it would be weird to see Yoshi change into a car instantly without hitting a box of some sort?

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#22 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

They did the right thing, because **** Yoshi.

I've never seen Yoshi transform into anything anyway, except in Galaxy 2 I guess.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

I don't want Nintendo to just take games that fit something else better and were probably being developed as another franchise originally and slap on another character just so the fanboys can feel like they got what they asked for, which is what I think is the case here.

amaneuvering
Even though Yoshi is a more popular character than Kirby? I guess Nintendo does want less money so yes I agree with you.
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

Does it matter?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
I doubt it. Mecha Kirby makes a lot more sense than Mecha Yoshi.  Rawr.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#26 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

They did the right thing, because blank Yoshi.

I've never seen Yoshi transform into anything anyway, except in Galaxy 2 I guess.

Cherokee_Jack

Helicopter Yoshi

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I doubt it but it doesn't really matter either way since the game looks awesome.
BurninBluber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BurninBluber
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts
Ya, now that you mention it, it does look more like a yoshi game, but ether way im not getting this game!