Was aiming the DualShock 4 at children a mistake?

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

While it's a definite improvement over the DS3, the design is still very inadequate for the serious gamer. It's still too small, has poor stick placement and useless gimmicks like sixaxis and a tiny touchpad. Plus they have now felt the need to have pretty coloured lights on it :roll:

The X1 pad on the other hand takes the greatest gamepad of all time and makes it even better. An achievement of epic proportions that some said was impossible :shock:

So have $ony missed a trick by targeting kids instead of serious gamers who want precision and comfort from their controller?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts
DUALSHOCK®4 features new innovations to deliver more immersive gaming experiences, including a highly sensitive six-axis sensor as well as a touch pad located on the top of the controller, which offers gamers completely new ways to play and interact with games. The new Share button puts video streaming and sharing a tap away. Enjoy high-fidelity sound effects of games from both the TV and also from the controller. Chat with friends playing online with the bundled headset. Improved ergonomics means its more comfortable to hold, while improved analog sticks and buttons mean more precise control. Multiple vibration motors give games a greater degree of expression and heighten the sense of immersion for players. awww yeahhhhh Advantage=Sony Thank you Sony.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
sorry im not a sasquatch like you who has asymmetric thumbs.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
How long will the battery last with all these pads and lights is what I'm wondering. X1 pad destroys it in every way
Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Dualshock 4

playstation_4_dualshock_4.jpg

Features:

Multifunction Trackpad for browsing and selection

Classic Analog placement with concave architecture for improved grip

Proper D-Pad for fighters

Improved Trigger placement and grip

LEDD for identification and tracking

IMproved grip

Does NOT use AA batteries

Share button

and Sexy

:cool:

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
I know that people tend to prefer the Xbox gamepad, but I've been using Playstation gamepads ever since the original Playstation came out and I've never had any complaints about them. *shrugs* If people hated the Playstation game pads that much then they probably would have been fixed by now.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
Have you seen their fanbase? Heck just read SW for awhile and the child avenue is a good choice for Sony.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Dualshock 4

Features:

IMproved grip

Share button

and Sexy

Douevenlift_bro
Indeed, I may just have to pick up an additional 3 of them at launch.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RR360DD

Dualshock 4

Features:

Multifunction Trackpad for browsing and selection Gimmick

Classic Analog placement with concave architecture for improved grip Copying Xbox? ;)

Proper D-Pad for fighters lol its 2013

Improved Trigger placement and grip Still inferior to Xbox's

LEDD for identification and tracking Gimmick

IMproved grip Inferior to Xbox's

Does NOT use AA batteries How long will the battery last? Dualshock 3s lasts half the time my 360 one does

Share button LOL

and Sexy

Douevenlift_bro

Thought I'd put you in your place :P

Oh, and you forgot to mention the mini speaker gimmick :lol: Worked out great on the Wii Mote

IamAdorable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 IamAdorable
Member since 2013 • 407 Posts
Never had problems with the Dualshock. This one looks ugly though, but that's fine as long as it's comfortable.
Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

[QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"]

Dualshock 4

Features:

Multifunction Trackpad for browsing and selection Gimmick - If MS had this you'd support it like the Cloud ;)

Classic Analog placement with concave architecture for improved grip Copying Xbox? ;) - MS Controller is from Dreamcast ;)

Proper D-Pad for fighters lol its 2013 - So all you play are shooters and racers and television? Got it ;)

Improved Trigger placement and grip Still inferior to Xbox's - Based on what? You're just saying that.

LEDD for identification and tracking Gimmick - Kinect tracking me is also a gimmick in that case ;)

IMproved grip Inferior to Xbox's - Based on what again? Opinion..

Does NOT use AA batteries How long will the battery last? Dualshock 3s lasts half the time my 360 one does - When it dies, I'll pliug it while you run to the store :)

Share button LOL - MS may end up copying this aswell you might wanna hush your "LOL's" ;)

and Sexy

RR360DD

Oh, and you forgot to mention the mini speaker gimmick :lol: Worked out great on the Wii Mote

Have a seat boy. You have much to learn.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

the-dualshock-4-has-a-wii-esque-system-tlooks good to me.

sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sweeten16
Member since 2005 • 2872 Posts
the controller is passable for casual gaming but for anything requiring serious play like fps's online it's so poor.
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Kaz,Yoshida and Cerny-The masters of gaming-have joined forces to open up the pathway of love that leads to gaming nirvana and can end the system wars.

Armed with Eight Gigabytes of GODR5 RAM® ,Top-of-the-Line Gaming Hardware® and SONY's Secret Supercharger Sauce® ,the PS4 is the Bugatti Veyron that will tread on this majestical highway built by the gamers and for the gamers.

Only one device is capable of handling this much power-The Mighty Dualshock 4®.

Thank you SONY!

sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sweeten16
Cows preaching statements from Sony OH GOD!!
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

While it's a definite improvement over the DS3, the design is still very inadequate for the serious gamer. It's still too small, has poor stick placement and useless gimmicks like sixaxis and a tiny touchpad. Plus they have now felt the need to have pretty coloured lights on it :roll:

The X1 pad on the other hand takes the greatest gamepad of all time and makes it even better. An achievement of epic proportions that some said was impossible :shock:

So have $ony missed a trick by targeting kids instead of serious gamers who want precision and comfort from their controller?

HaRmLeSS_RaGe
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AmazonTreeBoa

[QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"]

Dualshock 4

Features:

Multifunction Trackpad for browsing and selection Gimmick

Classic Analog placement with concave architecture for improved grip Copying Xbox? ;)

Proper D-Pad for fighters lol its 2013

Improved Trigger placement and grip Still inferior to Xbox's

LEDD for identification and tracking Gimmick

IMproved grip Inferior to Xbox's

Does NOT use AA batteries How long will the battery last? Dualshock 3s lasts half the time my 360 one does

Share button LOL

and Sexy

RR360DD

AlphaJX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AlphaJX
Member since 2013 • 221 Posts

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Sorry, but outside of FPS games, Dualshock 4 will be the undisputedly best pad. With the improvements, it may even be best for FPS. Not everyone wants asymetrical sticks. Just because Xbox has them doesn't mean all competitors have to. With PS3 outselling 360, its obvious Sony's pad is more popular. Sorry Lem, but youll just have to deal with it.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

the controller is passable for casual gaming but for anything requiring serious play like fps's online it's so poor.sweeten16

That's exactly what I mean. People take competitive multiplayer seriously these days and the X1 controller is leagues ahead of the DS4 in that regard.

All the big multi platform console games will do better on the X1 because it doesn't have a gimped controller. $ony have shot themselves in the foot again :?

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Nobody has even held it yet, I'm going to reserve judgment until I've actually used one for a while.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

Have you seen their fanbase? Heck just read SW for awhile and the child avenue is a good choice for Sony.CanYouDiglt

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

While it's a definite improvement over the DS3, the design is still very inadequate for the serious gamer.It's still too small, has poor stick placement and useless gimmicks like sixaxis and a tiny touchpad. Plus they have now felt the need to have pretty coloured lights on it :roll:

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Red= I much prefer the Dual shock and I can almost guarantee I am more of a serious gamer then just about any Xbox fanboy you can throw at me. If it wasn't for my family and work obligations I would have joined a major league gaming circuit years ago.

Blue= I am 6'3 and have large hands and I prefer the feel of the PS controller much more. It may take more skill to operate or be a beast on the sticks, but that is something that differintiates the good players from the mediocre. Also the sticks not being offest allow for reaching all the buttons much easier. I personally can not stand offset sticks.

Green= This feature has it's uses. Although under utilized. On some games like the SOCOM francise this feature helped good players be great.

Orange= yeah.... not so sure how I feel about this either.

Purple=Hopefully this will not be distracting while playing in a dimly lie room or a room with the lights off. If it doesn't... I don't care.

Light Blue= Opinion

Olive= It seems X1 is targeting kids not the PS4. DS controllers are more precise the more skilled you are... also, I find them much more comfortable then Xbox controllers. Once again... Opinion.

AlphaJX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AlphaJX

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Have you seen their fanbase? Heck just read SW for awhile and the child avenue is a good choice for Sony.SecretPolice

Both of you are dumbasses. You have to be delusional to say Sonys fanbase is any worse than MS. At least Sony fans don't excuse being ripped off with XBL and make excuses for having to always be online, having very little exclusives.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AmazonTreeBoa

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Have you seen their fanbase? Heck just read SW for awhile and the child avenue is a good choice for Sony.AlphaJX

Both of you are dumbasses. You have to be delusional to say Sonys fanbase is any worse than MS. At least Sony fans don't excuse being ripped off with XBL and make excuses for having to always be online, having very little exclusives.

You'll have a better conversation talking to a wall.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WitIsWisdom

sorry im not a sasquatch like you who has asymmetric thumbs.campzor

lol... exactly.

sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sweeten16
Justifying the poor stick placement by saying it takes more skill to use it HAHA Classic!
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Have you seen their fanbase? Heck just read SW for awhile and the child avenue is a good choice for Sony.AlphaJX

Hey ban dodger how could a Playstation user excuse being ripped off with XBL and if they are paying for XBL on the Playstation they should complain.
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts
Too much gets made out of "controller wars". I'll agree the 360 pad beats the DS3, but I put very little consideration into controller when choosing a system last gen, and most people don't use it as a factor. If they were competing on the same system I'd see the point but as it is this is just like Forza v GT: people just use the one for the system they own.
AlphaJX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AlphaJX

[QUOTE="AlphaJX"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

CanYouDiglt

Hey ban dodger how could a Playstation user excuse being ripped off with XBL and if they are paying for XBL on the Playstation they should complain.

What youre talking about is irrelevant. My point still stands that Xbox fans are by far the worst, they enable MS to be lazy and focus on ads instead of games. All while making excuses for them.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
Dual shock 4 looks very ugly and still has poor stick placement but I give Sony props for improving on the dual shock 3's bad triggers. The x1 controller looks amazing, but what good is the controller is the console your playing it on is just a TV-sports box? (Plus x1 controller needs batteries lol) I rather adapt to a poor controller than to make do with a shitty console.
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

PS4 owners are gonna be paying for gimmicks they don't really want or need.  They love getting milked to death.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Have you seen their fanbase? Heck just read SW for awhile and the child avenue is a good choice for Sony.SecretPolice

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
You have used the new DS4 to make these claims?
AlphaJX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AlphaJX

PS4 owners are gonna be paying for gimmicks they don't really want or need. They love getting milked to death.

jimmypsn

Kinda like Lems will be paying for a TV Tuner, not to mention the always online requirement. Get lost troll.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RR360DD

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

PS4 owners are gonna be paying for gimmicks they don't really want or need. They love getting milked to death.

AlphaJX

Kinda like Lems will be paying for a TV Tuner, not to mention the always online requirement. Get lost troll.

There is no TV tuner :lol:
AlphaJX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AlphaJX

Dual shock 4 looks very ugly and still has poor stick placement but I give Sony props for improving on the dual shock 3's bad triggers. The x1 controller looks amazing, but what good is the controller is the console your playing it on is just a TV-sports box? (Plus x1 controller needs batteries lol) I rather adapt to a poor controller than to make do with a shitty console.Ghost120x

How is the stick placement poor? Dualshock predates the Xbox pad and people have been using it for years with no problem well before Xbox existed. The Dualshock is sexy, the blue light, the shape, material, and triggers. Looks much better than the X1 pad.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jimmypsn

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

AlphaJX

There's no TV tuner in the ONE. lol. Idiot.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WitIsWisdom

Justifying the poor stick placement by saying it takes more skill to use it HAHA Classic!sweeten16

If this is in reply to what I said, not only is it true, but the placement is not poor for competitive game players. It allows a player to reach all the buttons on the controller much easier and allows much more flexibility for left handed players and/or ambidextrous players. I am left handed and I learned to play games from the start using all sorts of controllers, so it does not really effect me... however, your point about poor stick placement makes absolutely no sense anyways, because it is all about preference. Also, just in case you didn't know, there is nothing stopping people from using a MS controller on a PS or a PS controller on a MS console. These are LEGAL gaming mods. I don't really give a shit which you prefer, and that is why opinions are such a beautiful thing. You did realize that you will be able to use MS's new controller on the PS4 right....? It's whatever floats your boat.

AlphaJX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AlphaJX

[QUOTE="AlphaJX"]

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

RR360DD

There is no TV tuner :lol:

Paying for the ability to add TV into the UI if you want to be technical. Lems are the last faction that should bring up anyone having to pay for things.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jimmypsn

The dual shock 4 is hideous.  Looks like a mish mash rip off from parts of the 360 controller.  Terrible controller.  Sony should feel bad.

AlphaJX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AlphaJX

[QUOTE="AlphaJX"]

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

jimmypsn

There's no TV tuner in the ONE. lol. Idiot.

Read my post above dumbass.

sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sweeten16

[QUOTE="sweeten16"]Justifying the poor stick placement by saying it takes more skill to use it HAHA Classic!WitIsWisdom

If this is in reply to what I said, not only is it true, but the placement is not poor for competitive game players. It allows a player to reach all the buttons on the controller much easier and allows much more flexibility for left handed players and/or ambidextrous players. I am left handed and I learned to play games from the start using all sorts of controllers, so it does not really effect me... however, your point about poor stick placement makes absolutely no sense anyways, because it is all about preference. Also, just in case you didn't know, there is nothing stopping people from using a MS controller on a PS or a PS controller on a MS console. These are LEGAL gaming mods. I don't really give a shit which you prefer, and that is why opinions are such a beautiful thing. You did realize that you will be able to use MS's new controller on the PS4 right....? It's whatever floats your boat.

I am one of those left handed/ambidextrous as well, left handed for writing, tennis, pool but right handed for darts, basketball or using my touchpad on laptop. I don't see how the DC makes things easier for people like me though. Yes it might take more skill to use it but that's because it is more difficult to use in the first place :P I was looking into using my 360 controller on my PS3 but im sure you can't use a headset with it if you do it (amongst other things).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

Dualshock 4

Features:

IMproved grip

Share button

and Sexy

Douevenlift_bro

That controller looks so amazing

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I would say it's hardly made for kids. If you cannot hold a Dualshock 3 right then that's not Sony's fault.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jimmypsn

What is that stupid touchpad even used for?  Seems so ridiculous.  It's gonna be like Vita where you help character move across the screen by swiping.  It's dumb.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
XBOX ONE still looks like the D pad is not what I want, which is the traditional SNES and PS style d pad.
Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

I would say it's hardly made for kids. If you cannot hold a Dualshock 3 right then that's not Sony's fault.

Wasdie

This

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

the controller is passable for casual gaming but for anything requiring serious play like fps's online it's so poor.sweeten16

Lulz! Gaming is teh seriouz buziness! Want to play seriously? Here you go.

mouse

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
Too small? Are you over weight?. I find the xbox controller to big for my averaged sized hands.
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

DS4 looks pretty good to me. Share button is dumb, but it looks like a solid improvement. 

I would give the XB1 the edge in the controller department though. Force feedback triggers is cool.Â