Wait, was Halflife 2's AI really bad? I mean, really?

• 51 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 36149 Posts

Hello, see many people repeatedly to this day say Halflife 2 had bad AI. Especially compared to Halflife 1 and other FPS.

• AI will avoid grenades
  • AI will take cover when weapon is changed
  • AI will retreat to squad
  • AI will lob grenades
  • AI will take cover to reload
  • AI will pick up health kits
  • AI will take over when another enemy AI has been killed on a turret
  • AI will change to melee at close range
  • AI will interact with what the player holds
  • Larger enemies (Striders) will change height according to player depth
  • AI will track and counter players projectile weapons
  • AI will throw up utility weapons (man-hacks)
  • AI will verbally situationalul communicate with the player and likewise with enemies interacting with each other

Original Halflife use auto-lock on, certainly more challenging, but more intelligent?

What modern AI also do all this and more? Far Cry 3/4 AI worse. Doom not as good. Killzone not as good. Halo not as good. Call Of Duty outright terrible in comparison.

Yet, AI horrible? What?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19469 Posts

I played HL2 again recently on XB1 (for what has to be the 10th time), and I think the AI holds up well (like most of the game for that matter). Like you said, it's probably better than most new games.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3  Edited By bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I played the Orange Box version and I thought the AI was pretty good.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 13730 Posts

Ai was pretty solid, just like the great gunplay. Haters just like bashing the game.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Vaasman  Online
Member since 2008 • 14048 Posts

I mean if that video is supposed to show that it's a good AI system it certainly failed. The first AI just wandered in circles in one room to avoid grenades, the ones in the zombie area just stood there motionlessly shooting, and the friendly AI got themselves all killed by flopping around in circles by an open door where a bunch of explosions are going off.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10931 Posts

It's a classic, genre defining game for many reasons.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 commander
Member since 2010 • 15386 Posts

@uninspiredcup: AI was good but I thought far cry's ai was better.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By poe13
Member since 2005 • 728 Posts

F.E.A.R. 1 had the best AI of any video game I've ever played.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25254 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Hello, see many people repeatedly to this day say Halflife 2 had bad AI. Especially compared to Halflife 1 and other FPS.

To me? The AI in HL2 was decent. My main gripe with the game was some levels were snorefests, particularly the sections where I had to drive a boat and buggy. When Steam (in its early days) trashed all my HL2 saves, the thought of having to go through the long boring levels again turned me off from replaying. Hence, it was years before I finally finished the game.

I'm leery of Steam sometimes. It trashed my original HL2 saves. It did it again with Metro Last Light in 2013. Pissed me off. I did a rage-induced uninstall and only finished MLL in 2016 even though it was a short game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 uninspiredcup

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@uninspiredcup said:

To me? The AI in HL2 was decent. My main gripe with the game was some levels were snorefests, particularly the sections where I had to drive a boat and buggy. When Steam (in its early days) trashed all my HL2 saves, the thought of having to go through the long boring levels again turned me off from replaying. Hence, it was years before I finally finished the game.

I'm leery of Steam sometimes. It trashed my original HL2 saves. It did it again with Metro Last Light in 2013. Pissed me off. I did a rage-induced uninstall and only finished MLL in 2016 even though it was a short game.

Odd. I find the first half or so, up until the end of Nova Prospect to be the better sections. Once it hits the points of the game were you are running around with insurgents and what not, it losses much of immersion and a few sections turn into combat slogs with little cool down. Running around with Barney to bring the suppression field down is probably the weakest section imo.

Prior to this (the first Half) you have a section were you're waking manhacks, getting chased by a helicopter unable to shootback until showdown, running around zombie town messing around with a gravity gun, storming a beach, fighting two gunships with a pack of ant lions then playing tower defense with turrets.

Aside from the Striders and the final section were you're running around the most overpowered weapon in history, alot of the second half is simply Combine after Combine. Not to say it's bad, it just lacks the creativity of the first half.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 11014 Posts

Half life 1 has best AI untill it was surpassed by FEAR

Half life 2 has excellent AI. especially compare to modern games where enemy only take cover. in HL2 they dont take cover. they are clever.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@poe13 said:

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jun_aka_pekto
@uninspiredcup said:

Odd. I find the first half or so, up until the end of Nova Prospect to be the better sections. Once it hits the points of the game were you are running around with insurgents and what not, it losses much of immersion and a few sections turn into combat slogs with little cool down. Running around with Barney to bring the suppression field down is probably the weakest section imo.

I didn't like the gunship parts until near the end of that level when my mud skipper got armed. When I play a shooter, I expect to be able to shoot back. If Valve shortened the running away part and made the armed part longer, I'd have no complaints.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 31959 Posts

It doesn't really matter that Half Life 1's AI cheats.

There were headcrabs, zombies, soldiers that shoot at you, aliens that shoot at you, big tentacle thingies....

The challenge in that game came from the variety of enemies, the level design, not that 1 out of 10 enemies you encounter in the entire game uses an auto lock on system.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

It's a classic, genre defining game for many reasons.

Yup, you want to see bad AI, go see TLOU.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 15315 Posts

Half Life 2's AI was an interesting case.

Being both excellent and Bad at the same time.

The AI, when put in the right situation is brilliant. But for whatever reason, the AI just didnt work well in the situations Half Life 2 placed them in.

On one hand you get this,

Loading Video...

But at the same time, the AI also gives you this in an ideal situation

Loading Video...

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Who exactly said Half Life 2 AI is bad cause i never saw anyone complaining about it.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 poe13
Member since 2005 • 728 Posts

@adamosmaki: From whiners, I either see people say that Half-Life 2 was overrated and/or the puzzles really ruin the flow of the game. I haven't seen people say the AI was bad in this particular game though. Outside of only a few games, I can't really think of very good AI in video games. Devs seem to think that by increasing the enemies' health, decreasing yours, and making bullets hurt more = harder difficulty modes, which is a stupid justification.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uninspiredcup

@Maroxad said:

Half Life 2's AI was an interesting case.

Being both excellent and Bad at the same time.

The AI, when put in the right situation is brilliant. But for whatever reason, the AI just didnt work well in the situations Half Life 2 placed them in.

On one hand you get this,

Loading Video...

Completed the game 7 times, around 80 hours. Nowhere, at any point has this happened. Basically a guy has found an obscure exploit, which can be found with any game, far easier... and presented it as a standard example of game-play.

The scenario is designed (suggested not compulsory) with pushing a cart forward as a shield for a precision shot. Which is implements perfectly.

Loading Video...

Don't want to suggest you deliberately went on google purposefully googling Halflife 2 for "bad AI", but that's definitely what happened.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

User Lists: 8

#20 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15018 Posts

AI is great. Combine's AI is not anything special but it gets the job done. On other hand companion AI is brilliant. They way they act in different situations is realistic and Half Life 2 is one of the very few games were companions aren't useless and can actually fight and aim correctly.

Then there are headcrabs, zombies, helicopters and so on. All of them have great AI. Only combine soldiers launch suicidal attacks sometimes. Overall it's great.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Half Life 2 has some of the best AI in gaming.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5715 Posts

AI in HL2 watches you through walls and is already aiming at you when you walk around a corner. So clever!

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts
Loading Video...

The last of us has one of the worst ais I have ever seen.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Haven't played enough HL2 to know, but I intend to do a full playthrough via the Orange Box as soon as I get a chance. Games, like TV shows and movies, require a certain suspension of disbelief in order to achieve adequate immersion. I don't think I've encountered a single AI that performs just like a human, you can always find holes in their logic if you look carefully and try different scenarios. I suspect the AI in HL2 will be no different, but I've heard many great things about it so I'm looking forward to spending more time with the game to see just how amazing it is all these years later.

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

HL2 has better AI than the majority of shooters released nowadays, so there's that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:

It doesn't really matter that Half Life 1's AI cheats.

There were headcrabs, zombies, soldiers that shoot at you, aliens that shoot at you, big tentacle thingies....

The challenge in that game came from the variety of enemies, the level design, not that 1 out of 10 enemies you encounter in the entire game uses an auto lock on system.

Not disputing Halflife 1's wasn't more fun. It isn't however, as legend says, as good as Halflife 2's. Valve probably could have very easily made the AI hit the player every time, but they miss, as a real person would. They use alt fire. and team mates will drop and pick up a weapon by tier.

@thepclovingguy said:
Loading Video...

The last of us has one of the worst ais I have ever seen.

That illegally ripped off Xmen girl who was in the very poor Quantum Dream game seems very poor compared to Alyx Vance.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I thought the enemy AI was great in HL2, at least for the time. F.E.A.R. has practically ruined all AI in FPS for me, though.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

If you wanna see what bad AI is on a game that supposed is one of the best ever made , go check Resident Evil 4. Just google or search on youtube.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#30  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 5306 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

The A.I. bots usually charge in stupidly in Half Life 2. I see very little competence, if anything. They move away from grenades though I'd hardly call it dodging but that's because of the limited animations. Halo, enemies hide behind walls, dive away from grenades, and even climb over obstacles. That's pretty fucking good programming compared to Half Life 2 and I'm talking as early as Halo Combat Evolved.

Half Life 2 has humans that shoot upfront like robots. If you're good in fps games, you can dance circles around them. I know I can, even on hard mode.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 2830 Posts

@poe13 said:

Yup. Too bad spending any $ on AI development is seen as "not worth it" cause then a game wouldn't be "accessible"

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup

@killered3 said:

@uninspiredcup:

The A.I. bots usually charge in stupidly in Half Life 2. I see very little competence, if anything. They move away from grenades though I'd hardly call it dodging but that's because of the limited animations. Halo, enemies hide behind walls, dive away from grenades, and even climb over obstacles. That's pretty fucking good programming compared to Half Life 2 and I'm talking as early as Halo Combat Evolved.

Half Life 2 has humans that shoot upfront like robots. If you're good in fps games, you can dance circles around them. I know I can, even on hard mode.

I would agree about it's strange waddle animations, but they do retreat and take cover, just not particularly fast. The marines in Halflife 1 would sprint, nobody runs in Halflife 2 unless to get to the combat area. It wasn't until the Hunter introduction Episode 2, which acted as a hybrid between an antlion queen's melee and a Combine firing that combat intensified in a way it never did in the previous games outside of antlion queens, striders, hunter choppers and gunships.

I haven't played much of Halo, played the first one and didn't think much of it tbh, given the hype.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@uninspiredcup:

I don't remember much about Half Life 1 but I guess my main gripe is with the useless ass Combine. These guys are some of the dumbest bots I've ever fought! Ant Lions are good, annoying air attacks, Striders are always fun though they're alot weaker than they look, and there's not much I can complain about with the zombies, head crabs and flying man hacks. I'd also praise the companion A.I! Alyx Vance is one of the best partner A.I.'s I've ever seen and the resistance fighters are great help too!

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 2881 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

• AI will avoid grenades
  • AI will take cover when weapon is changed
  • AI will retreat to squad
  • AI will lob grenades
  • AI will take cover to reload
  • AI will pick up health kits
  • AI will take over when another enemy AI has been killed on a turret
  • AI will change to melee at close range
  • AI will interact with what the player holds
  • Larger enemies (Striders) will change height according to player depth
  • AI will track and counter players projectile weapons
  • AI will throw up utility weapons (man-hacks)
  • AI will verbally situationalul communicate with the player and likewise with enemies interacting with each other

Original Halflife use auto-lock on, certainly more challenging, but more intelligent?

What modern AI also do all this and more? Far Cry 3/4 AI worse. Doom not as good. Killzone not as good. Halo not as good. Call Of Duty outright terrible in comparison.

Yet, AI horrible? What?

The A.i. in Turok 2 does most of that too. A.i. has not changed much at all in 20 years, most all the tech than any game has regarding A.i. has been seen before. Exceptions would be something like the Facade demo which was amazing and virtually no real game ever used that kind of tech. But just compare old games like Ultima 7 vs Skyrim.

When HL 2 came out, the Ai was generally accepted as poor compared to many other games before it. Granted many modern games still rely heavy on scripts and actually do little in terms of processing Ai but that's mostly because the processing for everything else is so intensive, it leaves little room for the likes of Facade, F.E.A.R...etc. Bethesda is probably the only developer right now that still consistently uses decent Ai tech, their radiant AI.

It's hard to beat Facade though, you can type what you want and you get appropriate facial expressions and responses, shame no game does that. *edit, now that I think of it, there was a Dreamcast game that did very similar, you could talk into your mic and get responses but never played it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By uninspiredcup

@killered3 said:

@uninspiredcup:

I don't remember much about Half Life 1 but I guess my main gripe is with the useless ass Combine. These guys are some of the dumbest bots I've ever fought! Ant Lions are good, annoying air attacks, Striders are always fun though they're alot weaker than they look, and there's not much I can complain about with the zombies, head crabs and flying man hacks. I'd also praise the companion A.I! Alyx Vance is one of the best partner A.I.'s I've ever seen and the resistance fighters are great help too!

Afraid I must disagree with you my friend, the best ever? No. But better than most, and it is a 13 year old game now, older than most of Gamespots target audience.

Regarding Alyx Vance, I don't think her character was utilized properly or at least to the proper extent until Episode 1, in Halflife 2 she is more just "there" to progress the story than a character that serves any mechanical purpose outside of it, which Episode 1 rectifies. A new problem rises though, they completely mess the personality. In attempting to make her appeal to the player, they made her obnoxiously optimistic. In the context of the game - an insurgency with thousands dead, a leveled city, a Combine counterattack that could kill everyone and a building about to become a nuclear bomb, makes 0 sense, the switch in character actively has a detrimental effect, diminishing the brevity of the situation. Thankfully this is fixed in Episode 2.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nepu7supastar7

@uninspiredcup:

Well, I remember her being good. Haven't played Orange Box in years though so I might have a different opinion on that. It kinda sounds like you like the A.I. less than you let on though. What's up with that?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 uninspiredcup

@killered3 said:

@uninspiredcup:

Well, I remember her being good. Haven't played Orange Box in years though so I might have a different opinion on that. It kinda sounds like you like the A.I. less than you let on though. What's up with that?

I'm a hypocrite and fraud.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nepu7supastar7

@uninspiredcup:

I.....I-I think I need some time to process this.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

Yeah, I never got the hate towards HL2's AI. It was fairly good and better than most of shooting galleries we get in games these days.

Although, I'll disagree that it was better than Killzone 2's.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 61815 Posts

It's better than most, but nothing to write home about. A lot of the stuff you describe a lot of FPS enemies do today (the covering a turret, when one enemy gets dropped has been there since Combat Evolved in Halo), and none of it offsets that actually fighting the combine still feels less satisfying than what the soldiers were like in Half Life 1. Either way I always had larger issues with

-The Pacing: large stretches of that game are a fucking slog to play
-The ballistics: the gunplay is limp
-Way too much seesaw puzzle bullshit. It's not fun, it's not clever, it comes off self-congratulatory with valve going "look guys, we made a physics engine". Blow me fam
-The actual story is pretty fucking bad. From a writing standpoint (it out right retcons things about Half Life 1), to characterizations. Alyx Vance for instance is fucking terrible as a character and has skated by on having a more modest look versus an over sexualized one. But she's just as shitty in a lot of ways about pandering to the fucking player.

On the flip side its highs are genuinely fantastic, the game is varied as all hell, and the presentation was leagues ahead of its contemporaries and for my money still is. I get that forcing to sit there and wait for a convo to finish can get annoying, but at least the game doesn't force cinematic walking on me. And I'd still rather have that over a cutscene as far as trying to explore how to tell a story in a game. Being a reject movie isn't moving games forward, it's outright admitting this medium sucks at telling a story.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Maroxad
@uninspiredcup said:

Completed the game 7 times, around 80 hours. Nowhere, at any point has this happened. Basically a guy has found an obscure exploit, which can be found with any game, far easier... and presented it as a standard example of game-play.

The scenario is designed (suggested not compulsory) with pushing a cart forward as a shield for a precision shot. Which is implements perfectly.

Don't want to suggest you deliberately went on google purposefully googling Halflife 2 for "bad AI", but that's definitely what happened.

The problem is, the game is full of events like that, even when I played through it once, I went through several stages where the AI acted... odd.

And for the record, I googled "Half Life 2 AI". Look at the top result ;) The video in particular I was looking for was the other video I linked. The one where they demonstrated some usage of military tactics. Thankfully, I found that one too in my search. It was the second result ;)

Unlike some people, I dont look for evidence specifically to suit an agenda. I look for data and form my "agenda" around that. I search using as NEUTRAL terms as possible.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 17378 Posts

I never found the AI to be much of an issue really. For my time with the game, it usually worked as intended. Some funny stuff here and there, but that's most games. I mean shit, games like Chaos Theory and Thief are often considered gold standard stealth games, and their AI breaks down in hilarious ways, shit I've never seen in HL2.

If we're going to nitpick Half Life 2's AI to death, we might as well extend that to most other games. Which is fair, video game AI gets no love and the advancements have been pitiful. Though that's another discussion.

Half Life 2 gets put under the scope mainly because it's placed on such a high pedestal. When people constantly parade it around as some all time great, especially on the platform that is the fucking PC, it's going to be scrutinized.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Maroxad

@ConanTheStoner said:

I never found the AI to be much of an issue really. For my time with the game, it usually worked as intended. Some funny stuff here and there, but that's most games. I mean shit, games like Chaos Theory and Thief are often considered gold standard stealth games, and their AI breaks down in hilarious ways, shit I've never seen in HL2.

If we're going to nitpick Half Life 2's AI to death, we might as well extend that to most other games. Which is fair, video game AI gets no love and the advancements have been pitiful. Though that's another discussion.

Half Life 2 gets put under the scope mainly because it's placed on such a high pedestal. When people constantly refer to it as some all time great, especially on the platform that is the fucking PC, it's going to be scrutinized.

Pretty much.

Half Life 2's AI is great when it works as intended. But the when the AI broke (and in my playthrough it happened quite a few times), it was hilarious to nitpick.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup said:

Not disputing Halflife 1's wasn't more fun. It isn't however, as legend says, as good as Halflife 2's. Valve probably could have very easily made the AI hit the player every time, but they miss, as a real person would. They use alt fire. and team mates will drop and pick up a weapon by tier.

That illegally ripped off Xmen girl who was in the very poor Quantum Dream game seems very poor compared to Alyx Vance.

What I always liked about Half Life 2, and what I've seen a lot of people complain about is the gunplay.

Shooting the pistol, revolver, shooting an SMG or carbine. Blasting off a shotgun... It all feels natural to me. I imagine the guns would handle as such if it were real.

Likewise using the gravity gun feels very powerful. And I've never understood why people said Half Life 2's shooting or gunplay was bad :/

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

What I always liked about Half Life 2, and what I've seen a lot of people complain about is the gunplay.

Shooting the pistol, revolver, shooting an SMG or carbine. Blasting off a shotgun... It all feels natural to me. I imagine the guns would handle as such if it were real.

Likewise using the gravity gun feels very powerful. And I've never understood why people said Half Life 2's shooting or gunplay was bad :/

Guess it's subjective, for myself I think the "pew pew" could be alot better. When I play F.E..A.R and you kill a guy, the reaction is completely exaggerated as it would be in an action movie, it's immensely gratifying. In Halflife 2 unless a gas crate blows up, a Combine will usually gently slump to the ground like it's nap time.

Doom 3 which came out around the same time also had fairly pea shooter shooting, but that was the entirety of the game. Halflife, and more so Halflife 2 is more a hybrid of a FPS fused with an adventure game, there's fairly long stretches where you aren't shooting shit.

In fact I was playing Episode 2 earlier today, the part where you are running around ant nest popping out of holes to avoid the Guardian is very reminiscent of the hedge section in Ocarina Of Time, but good. That entire section involves no shooting what so ever.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup said:

Guess it's subjective, for myself I think the "pew pew" could be alot better. When I play F.E..A.R and you kill a guy, the reaction is completely exaggerated as it would be in an action movie, it's immensely gratifying. In Halflife 2 unless a gas crate blows up, a Combine will usually gently slump to the ground like it's nap time.

Doom 3 which came out around the same time also had fairly pea shooter shooting, but that was the entirety of the game. Halflife, and more so Halflife 2 is more a hybrid of a FPS fused with an adventure game, there's fairly long stretches where you aren't shooting shit.

In fact I was playing Episode 2 earlier today, the part where you are running around ant nest popping out of holes to avoid the Guardian is very reminiscent of the hedge section in Ocarina Of Time, but good. That entire section involves no shooting what so ever.

Sure, Half Life is more than just shooting. It's also about reconning the environment (black mesa in Half Life 1 or City 17 and the really open world of Half Life 2) and getting to know the people that live there.

That combine dropping to the ground, along with that accompanying sound of a radio signal dying was always something I really liked. Yes, some games have their over the top shooting and impact on bodies, but I felt Half Life 2's ragdolls had a certain charm too.

Earlier ragdolls (Max payne 2, half life 2) could be wonky and weird at times, but I prefer them a million times over seeing the same death animation over and over and over (older shooters).

Heck thinking about it even games today have wonky ragdolls: Dark Souls, TES, ... xD

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

The hate stems from the fact that the AI in Half Life 2 is worse than the one in the original Half Life. Same with the gunplay.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Lucianu said:

The hate stems from the fact that the AI in Half Life 2 is worse than the one in the original Half Life.

Afraid I'm not seeing the fact here friend. The AI has instant lock on, and moves faster, but that's not tantamount to better AI.

Loading Video...

From comparing it, it's become apparent as well Halflifes Marine soldiers cannot actually shoot while running around either,instantly locking on the players position regardless of physical barriers, where as if we compare the footage above, when the Combine soldier hides behind a wall, he has to require the player, shootings while moving to cover, not always hitting the player.

It seems pretty much ever facet of Halflife 2's AI, friendly, combine, creatures and air are in reality superior to Halflfifes with the difficulty primarily from an artificial lock on. This seems espcailly apparent with the female assassin section where they will always, regardless know the players position.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jun_aka_pekto

Was that footage of TLOU AI for real? Geeez.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I still haven't seen A.I as good as in F.E.A.R, love HL2's as well but Fear really nailed it. And yes, TLOU AI ruined the game for me, I just cant look past that, especially in a game that is trying to put feelings into the player, with bad A.I like that I lost all care for all and any character in that game. A.I is very important for not breaking the illusion that you're playing a game.