Wait, didn't Microsoft have a bunch of studios announced this gen?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11002 Posts

Some of these studios are still around. But others were not so fortunate... Or just weren't really a thing.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/microsoft-may-be-closing-more-studios

Time to be worried? Did MS just cheaply acquire a bunch of studios and just threw some names out there to keep people hanging on for PR? Microsoft sure is spooky about these things sometimes.

Oh, wait. Let me help get the deflections out of the way first.

"Living rent free in your head"

"Obsessed with Microsoft"

"Xbox must be cows favorite game system"

Etc., etc. from the peanut gallery.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

If they are closing studios, now, that is a 180 from the messaging of their E3 conference. Lord, don't tell me their greatest E3 in like 6 years was just more of that thing they did in 2013 where they simply don't mention the elephant in the room while distracting everyone with BS. I know that won't land well with the ERA crowd.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BenjaminBanklin
@Shewgenja said:

If they are closing studios, now, that is a 180 from the messaging of their conference.

That article's from a couple of years ago. Talking about when they announced a bunch of studios to get in the headlines again. But some of those studios either closed, or never got a project off the ground. E3 kind of felt like a 2.0 of that.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12054 Posts

The meltdowns are continuing I see.

Oh and.......

MSoft lives rent free....

You’re obsessed with MSoft.

Sony Fan doesn’t love their system they just hate yours.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Was Project Spark the name of the studio? I remember rolling my eyes when that game was canceled.

The top line of studios there are locked into certain IPAs but a handful of the others were Kinect centric such as Xbox fitness. They died with the peripheral. The most telling and disastrous closure for Microsoft had to be Lionhead. Fable legends imploded exponentially and the entire studio went with it. There’s far more to that story .

As for their current acquisitions, a few of them are obviously high risk. The developer of we happy few, for example, has a lot to prove and it wouldn’t surprise me if Microsoft disbanded the team and absorbs them into other projects If the game fails.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

This reads like it's a hastily put together shit thread.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

@kuu2 said:

Oh and.......

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BenjaminBanklin
@boycie said:

This reads like it's a hastily put together shit thread.

This reads like an angry and pained defense mechanism from an indoctrinated cult member.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin:

"Living rent free in your head"

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@Basinboy said:

Was Project Spark the name of the studio? I remember rolling my eyes when that game was canceled.

The top line of studios there are locked into certain IPAs but a handful of the others were Kinect centric such as Xbox fitness. They died with the peripheral. The most telling and disastrous closure for Microsoft had to be Lionhead. Fable legends imploded exponentially and the entire studio went with it. There’s far more to that story .

As for their current acquisitions, a few of them are obviously high risk. The developer of we happy few, for example, has a lot to prove and it wouldn’t surprise me if Microsoft disbanded the team and absorbs them into other projects If the game fails.

I'm honestly glad they got We happy few. Didn't want to get it since Gearbox was the publisher.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17401 Posts

1. Project Spark isnt a studio

2. Team Dakota and Sota were bought and developers merged into other development houses

3. Couple of those are Tech developers

4. MS's previous leaders were corporate execs formerly of MS's main company and had no experience in games or leading game development. They changed that by putting a developer and gamer (Spencer) in charge of everything Xbox. He answers directly to the CEO (shouldve been this way from the beginning). So, while i understand people taking a wait and see approach, its important to remember that they changed a ton of people at the top.

I think most of us HOPE MS can turn things around, but I dont think itll ever be enough for a certain group.

I want MS to do better because it makes Sony and Nintendo better and we get better content because of it.

This whole "theyve failed in the past so theyll fail in the future" mentality is baffling.

If they DONT buy studios then they get bashed...............and if they DO..........they get bashed because theyve failed before.

Should they just stop trying? Give up?

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Article is from 2016 OP, shame on you

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BenjaminBanklin
@pdogg93 said:

Article is from 2016 OP, shame on you

I didn't say this was new. Just that they've been down this road before.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

The bottom line is that whenever these companies show you something other than actual games, its really just marketing.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

2. Team Dakota and Sota were bought and developers merged into other development houses

4. MS's previous leaders were corporate execs formerly of MS's main company and had no experience in games or leading game development. They changed that by putting a developer and gamer (Spencer) in charge of everything Xbox. He answers directly to the CEO (shouldve been this way from the beginning). So, while i understand people taking a wait and see approach, its important to remember that they changed a ton of people at the top.

I think most of us HOPE MS can turn things around, but I dont think itll ever be enough for a certain group.

I want MS to do better because it makes Sony and Nintendo better and we get better content because of it.

This whole "theyve failed in the past so theyll fail in the future" mentality is baffling.

If they DONT buy studios then they get bashed...............and if they DO..........they get bashed because theyve failed before.

I know that's the general rule but sometimes I think the competitors just shows the other new ways to nickel and dime like how it was with the Live > Plus and a semblance in Nintendo's new online "features".

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts
@navyguy21 said:

Pretty much this. OP has certainly been on that hate train full force lately with Microsoft. Guess Sony does no evil in his eyes and everything from Microsoft is despicable.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@kuu2 said:

Oh and.......

Why would mealtdows continue when the PS4 is still outselling the Xbox ONE 2:1. This gen is pretty much over, anything the M$ does from now on is to improve their damaged reputation for next generation.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Rent free indeed.

The meltdown from cows today are great, gonna make my work day go fast :)

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7181 Posts

Every generation ms will be up against it because Sony have the fanbase that ms just don't have.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

@kuu2: I love my PS4 AND I hate the other systems. It is possible to do both bro.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Lionhead, Project Spark and Press Play are all dead. They’ve been dead for a while.

Some of those studios seem like they’re meant to help Xbox other studios (e.g. Xdev is a Sony studio that assists Sony’s IPs).

But yeah. It’s been pretty hit-or-miss. I guess it’s nice they added five new studios to their arsenal.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22368 Posts

Lmao... E3 still has cows shook. This is priceless.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Lmao... E3 still has cows shook. This is priceless.

I think cows dont care anymore about either X1 or Wii U .. and Switch. I think PS4 playing its own game right now like a BOSS

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hrt_rulz01

@AzatiS: Lol... that's why we get daily Xbox threads from cows. Can't get it out of their minds.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:

@AzatiS: Lol... that's why we get daily Xbox threads from cows. Can't get it out of their minds.

What you cant get are exclusives ! Wait for next-gen things might change.

Nice press conference though i admit, specially the part with new studios was surprising.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

Desperate times (not sure how but it looks like it) call for desperate threads. The Sony fannies are now scrapping below the barrel. LMAO.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@stuff238 said:

@kuu2: I love my PS4 AND I hate the other systems. It is possible to do both bro.

Nice try but I don't believe you. None of you cows love your PS4s...not possible given the fact you ONLY talk about the Xbox. Your motto is and will always be "we don't love our console, we just hate yours". Nice try though

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hrt_rulz01

@AzatiS: More 1st party games are coming... at least we know that now.

@Pedro: Lol, it's so sad. I'm still laughing at Quack with his dumb thread yesterday bragging about software sales... and SOD2 ended up being no.1. Lmao.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Whatever MS is going to do just don't Fxxk up the Ninja Theory as they are one of my flavored!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

they canned a few of them and that's old news, happened around same time as Fable Legends was cancelled, it was all quite heavily discussed on here

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BenjaminBanklin
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Gotta have something to wipe our feet on, dude. Besides, we point this stuff out and the cycles repeat every time. And instead of being mad at MS, they get mad at Sony fans for having the insight not to fall into this crap every time.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I wish Rare could go back to making Nintendo games. Those were some good times. Microsoft killed that publisher just like EA killed Origin Systems.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Gotta have something to wipe our feet on, dude. Besides, we point this stuff out and the cycles repeat every time. And instead of being mad at MS, they get mad at Sony fans for having the insight not to fall into this crap every time.

If you want something to wipe your feet on, just watch Sony's E3 conference again... lmao!

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

Article is from 2016 :/

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BenjaminBanklin
@slimdogmilionar said:

Article is from 2016 :/

Mentioned several times. Not even trying to read.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

People forget the studios that Sony has closed down. Evolution Studios and even worse Studio Liverpool (which used to be Psygnosis). One of the greatest studio to ever come out of the UK. These guys basically were the PS1 in the early days.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8461 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@Basinboy said:

I'm honestly glad they got We happy few. Didn't want to get it since Gearbox was the publisher.

Gearbox is still the publisher.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@Ant_17 said:

Gearbox is still the publisher.

Well fuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hrt_rulz01

@boycie said:

People forget the studios that Sony has closed down. Evolution Studios and even worse Studio Liverpool (which used to be Psygnosis). One of the greatest studio to ever come out of the UK. These guys basically were the PS1 in the early days.

Shhhhh... only MS closes studios!