[VR] Oculus Quest impresses, trading spots with Nintendo Switch on Amazon Best Seller list

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

This was from a couple days ago (as of this post it's #34, ahead of one of the Switch models). But if you go to the Amazon Best Seller page for Video Games, you can see that the Oculus Quest (standalone VR without need for a PC) is bouncing around the 20s and 30s, and even hit #6 at one point.

There has been no price drop or special deal going on. It's still $399, but more stock has come in and it seems like many people out there are preferring this form of VR (price, portability, ease of use) over the more expensive PCVR.

- This is not to say Oculus Quest will outsell Switch. But you have to consider this an impressive feat when a new $399 VR headset is staying firmly in the Top 35 consistently, right next to $60 controllers, PSN cards, toys and accessories and the mighty Nintendo itself!

- Obviously there are multiple (and older) Switch models, so it will be natural for Quest to actually outpace 1-2 of them at various times through the day.

- This is to say that the "VR is Growing" club is absolutely demolishing the "VR is Dying" club. VR is here to stay and gaining more users and converts every day, h8tahz!

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@whatafailure said:

This was from a couple days ago (as of this post it's #34, ahead of one of the Switch models). But if you go to the Amazon Best Seller page for Video Games, you can see that the Oculus Quest (standalone VR without need for a PC) is bouncing around the 20s and 30s, and even hit #6 at one point.

There has been no price drop or special deal going on. It's still $399, but more stock has come in and it seems like many people out there are preferring this form of VR (price, portability, ease of use) over the more expensive PCVR.

- This is not to say Oculus Quest will outsell Switch. But you have to consider this an impressive feat when a new $399 VR headset is staying firmly in the Top 35 consistently, right next to $60 controllers, PSN cards, toys and accessories and the mighty Nintendo itself!

- Obviously there are multiple (and older) Switch models, so it will be natural for Quest to actually outpace 1-2 of them at various times through the day.

- This is to say that the "VR is Growing" club is absolutely demolishing the "VR is Dying" club. VR is here to stay and gaining more users and converts every day, h8tahz!

Unfortunately it wouldn't people still think it's a gimmick 99 percent of them never even tried it they just jump on the VR hate bandwagon.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

This would be awesome IF the only place to buy gaming related stuff was Amazon lol.

But hey take whatever little "win" you can to make you feel better lol.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

I am glad the oculus quest is pushing the wireless tech far cause I personally think VR is really good gaming and entertainment tech.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I just got the Oculus Rift S and I have to say I was pretty negative on VR... But after playing Project Cars 2 in VR for 5 hours over 2 days I can't imagine playing any racing game without VR.

VR games in general need a lot more work and but the hardware seems pretty solid right.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: I know what you mean. Playing a good racer in VR is mind-blowing. Basically, if you're a racing fan and you haven't experienced top-tier VR racing, then you don't know what true racing in video games is all about. I mean, VR completely transforms the genre.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@subspecies said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: I know what you mean. Playing a good racer in VR is mind-blowing. Basically, if you're a racing fan and you haven't experienced top-tier VR racing, then you don't know what true racing in video games is all about. I mean, VR completely transforms the genre.

I would never use cockpit views in racers because of the disconnect it has from reality since it is static but in VR you are literally in the cockpit and in Project Cars 2 God damn are they beautifully done, I could spend hour's just loading different cars just to sit in the drivers seat and look around.

I am sold on VR. This is going to be a fun weekend, already bought 4 games and downloaded like 10 free ones.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@subspecies said:

I would never use cockpit views in racers because of the disconnect it has from reality since it is static but in VR you are literally in the cockpit and in Project Cars 2 God damn are they beautifully done, I could spend hour's just loading different cars just to sit in the drivers seat and look around.

I am sold on VR. This is going to be a fun weekend, already bought 4 games and downloaded like 10 free ones.

I think a lot of racing fans would feel the same way. There is really no comparison between VR racing and flatscreen racing. It's like the difference between playing with matchbox cars and actually driving. VR is what the racing genre has been missing all these years. All the little things are just so cool, like simply turning your head and looking out the window at cars you pass by. Every racing fan I show VR to is immediately sold on VR, just like you. It's just so impressive when it's done well.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@subspecies said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@subspecies said:

I think a lot of racing fans would feel the same way. There is really no comparison between VR racing and flatscreen racing. It's like the difference between playing with matchbox cars and actually driving. VR is what the racing genre has been missing all these years. All the little things are just so cool, like simply turning your head and looking out the window at cars you pass by. Every racing fan I show VR to is immediately sold on VR, just like you. It's just so impressive when it's done well.

All I need now is for Forza to implement VR in their Horizon series and I'll never leave my game room again.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

My only disappointments with VR are twofold:

-It's a pain in the ass if you wear glasses, because you're gonna need them on. I thought, 'oh, it's just a few inches from my eyes, I won't need them'. Yes. Yes, you do. I'm now looking at prescription lens adapters. There's more $$.

-Also, dag dang you need to run a lot of programs simultaneously just to play a game in VR. I'm using WMR so the first thing that pops up is WMR Home, then Steam VR, then Steam VR for WMR, then some kind of bridge for the motion controllers, then the game...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@subspecies said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@subspecies said:

All I need now is for Forza to implement VR in their Horizon series and I'll never leave my game room again.

It'll happen sooner or later. More and more people are realizing how freakin' amazing VR is, and eventually MS will be forced to take notice of this. VR is what Forza needs, imo.