VR is a strange one.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

VR is a strange one especially games where you can play either in VR or on normal monitor. Elite Dangerous at first in VR was horrible due to not use to resolution and things been big. I have a 1440p 144hz and recently gone back to playing just from the monitor to test. Now everything looks so small and seems so strange not been able to look freely when docking seeing where the entrance is etc. I do have trackir 5 but that's nothing like VR and dont like it.

I have oculus and wounded what VR only games be like on a normal monitor like robo recall, The Climb etc with key board and mouse or controller. Would like to test it and would it seem just as strange?.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

A lot of VR only games wouldn't work on a monitor. How are you supposed to move around in zero gravity with your hands in Lone Echo without being in VR? It's just not possible.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

If you play a seated vr game like that I would opt for a psvr, the optics are just better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Yeah, VR drastically changes perspective. Once you've experienced a game in VR and then you play it in flat screen mode (if it has it), the game will most likely feel miniature. That's what a lot of people that haven't played VR don't understand: the scale of VR games is insane because it is real-world scale in many cases. It is SO much different, for instance, to come face to face with possessed Mia in RE7 in VR as opposed to flat screen. There is no comparison. For space games, with the immensity of space itself, well, it's even more drastic.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Yea happens to me all the time when I play Elite Dangerous in VR and switch back to flatscreen mode. I have a nice 4K monitor too and I still feel restricted when I leave VR because the immersion and scale is gone. It's the reason I spend a lot of time playing GT Sport in VR even though it looks spectacular in 4K HDR, and it's also the reason I refuse to play RE7 in flatscreen mode. I played RE7 in flatscreen and it felt like a joke compared to the PSVR experience, I only lasted 5 minutes before I went back to VR.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 QuadKnight
@commander said:

If you play a seated vr game like that I would opt for a psvr, the optics are just better.

:P Is that a PSVR compliment from you? Sounds like you're warming up to your new PSVR dude.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

The only downside to VR imo is the "screen door" and/or low resolution. Only a matter of time until that's fixed.

As for the games and flat-screen, well, it's a tradeoff but some games are better in VR. Elite: Dangerous is simply amazing in VR; add in a HOTAS setup, and you don't ever need to touch the keyboard and mouse again. Just strap on that headset and put your hands on the throttle and stick and fly away. I was borderline on ED's enjoyment--felt like too much work, too much travel, for too little excitement--but in VR mode the game just shines as a testament to immersion.

Same with DCS: World. Flying an A-10C and moving your head around is insane. I actually got vertigo after doing a few turns and dives while not looking straight ahead, but that's part of the enjoyment to be completely honest. I've never had a feeling that in a game before. Not to mention it's just plain easier to fly, being able to just tilt your head to see the gauges, look at landmarks to eyeball your elevation and do some really close-to-ground flying, and so on.

Text is often hard to read, but changing the colors in ED fixed that, and getting a mod for DCS fixed that.

Really, really, really want to see an X-Wing/TIE Fighter game done in VR, like a full game. Include a cockpit that you can interact with and all that stuff, maybe take the control scheme from VTOL VR.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By commander

@quadknight said:
@commander said:

:P Is that a PSVR compliment from you? Sounds like you're warming up to your new PSVR dude.

not really I already knew the optics were better before I got it, sadly I don't use vr for seated vr, so I have to stick with the optics of the rift or get wildly frustrated by the psvr tracking, view range , resolution and so on.

I don't even understand why there isn't single headset out there besides the psvr that uses rgb oleds, they are much easier on the eyes.

People talk about the accomodation reflex but I know one thing, I could be in vr a lot longer with psvr's optics.

I actually even considered to use a psvr on the pc, but it's going to be a nightmare to get the tracking right, i'll have to buy shit like nolo vr, and in the end it will have to give up because I'll will be on the verge of a nervous breakdown trying to make it work properly

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 QuadKnight
@commander said:
@quadknight said:
@commander said:

not really I already knew the optics were better before I got it, sadly I don't use vr for seated vr, so I have to stick with the optics of the rift or get wildly frustrated by the psvr tracking, view range , resolution and so on.

I don't even understand why there isn't single headset out there besides the psvr that uses rgb oleds, they are much easier on the eyes.

People talk about the accomodation reflex but I know one thing, I could be in vr a lot longer with psvr's optics.

I actually even considered to use a psvr on the pc, but it's going to be a nightmare to get the tracking right, i'll have to buy shit like nolo vr, and in the end it will have to give up because I'll will be on the verge of a nervous breakdown trying to make it work properly

Don't worry, the second gen of VR headsets will soon arrive and hopefully take care of a lot of the issues we have now with VR. The number one thing I'm looking forward to going forward is better optics across the board. I'll probably get a PSVR 2.0 and and the next Vive next time around.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blueberry_Bandit

@mrbojangles25 said:

The only downside to VR imo is the "screen door" and/or low resolution. Only a matter of time until that's fixed.

As for the games and flat-screen, well, it's a tradeoff but some games are better in VR. Elite: Dangerous is simply amazing in VR; add in a HOTAS setup, and you don't ever need to touch the keyboard and mouse again. Just strap on that headset and put your hands on the throttle and stick and fly away. I was borderline on ED's enjoyment--felt like too much work, too much travel, for too little excitement--but in VR mode the game just shines as a testament to immersion.

Same with DCS: World. Flying an A-10C and moving your head around is insane. I actually got vertigo after doing a few turns and dives while not looking straight ahead, but that's part of the enjoyment to be completely honest. I've never had a feeling that in a game before. Not to mention it's just plain easier to fly, being able to just tilt your head to see the gauges, look at landmarks to eyeball your elevation and do some really close-to-ground flying, and so on.

Text is often hard to read, but changing the colors in ED fixed that, and getting a mod for DCS fixed that.

Really, really, really want to see an X-Wing/TIE Fighter game done in VR, like a full game. Include a cockpit that you can interact with and all that stuff, maybe take the control scheme from VTOL VR.

With gen 2 headsets, you should see realtime environment reconstruction, which means the headset could sense any object in the real world so it can be immediately shown in VR. Someone suggested a really amazing idea with this.

You could literally have your own captains quarters on-board a spaceship. Your real bed aligns perfectly with the virtual bed. Panels to access an elevator or other commands are placed directly on your real world wall that matches up with the virtual one. You could even be a drunk captain because your drink would be scanned in. Oh and you could even a friend half way across the planet with their own beer represented. Then you toast together real drinks.

Literally mindblowing.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@blueberry_bandit: that all sounds really really cool and I totally look forward to it, but it's sort of putting the cart before the horse, yes? Let's focus on getting those cords out of there (wireless VR would be amazing), getting the screens to higher resolutions, fixing the motion sickness issues so more people could play, and encourage more development of games and applications.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By commander

@quadknight said:
@commander said:
@quadknight said:

Don't worry, the second gen of VR headsets will soon arrive and hopefully take care of a lot of the issues we have now with VR. The number one thing I'm looking forward to going forward is better optics across the board. I'll probably get a PSVR 2.0 and and the next Vive next time around.

I don't think it's going to be that straightforward as you think. After all these companies want to make money this while the r&d costs are immense and the market for vr isn't very big.

Look at all the wmr headsets, none of them went with rgb oleds because there are no other headsets on the pc that use rgb oleds, so why go through the extra costs if no one else uses them. The few consumers that actually know the difference are not important enough from a business standpoint, most vr users know about one thing and that is resolution. So what do they do... increase the resolution.

There's also the issue of accomodation convergence conflict. Apart from the rift no one adresses the ac conflict, they're all busy with resolution. So what is oculus going to do? release a headset that breaks the bank with varifocals but shit lenses or a shit screen. . The conflict is defenitely a major problem but they already knew about the sd effect with the dk1 and dk2, I don't believe for a minute with all that facebook money they didn't look into rgb oleds.

Even eye tracking isn't going to solve this problem, sure everything will look a lot sharper, but even the pixmax 8k still shows sde, The fresnel lesnes strain your eyes more than the psvr lenses as well, because of the glares, and that issue is just bad as the ac conflict. There are reason why a lot of people can wear the psvr for hours , but not one of the pcvr headsets.

I surely hope your right, but it's kind of a big ass bummer you could have a pretty good headset right now, but no one has made it and it didn't even have to cost that much. Surely next gen is going to be better, but I'm affraid we'll just have the same problems like this gen and that is that every headset will have severe downsides.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blueberry_Bandit

@commander said:
@quadknight said:
@commander said:
@quadknight said:

I don't think it's going to be that straightforward as you think. After all these companies want to make money this while the r&d costs are immense and the market for vr isn't very big.

Look at all the wmr headsets, none of them went with rgb oleds because there are no other headsets on the pc that use rgb oleds, so why go through the extra costs if no one else uses them. The few consumers that actually know the difference are not important enough from a business standpoint, most vr users know about one thing and that is resolution. So what do they do... increase the resolution.

There's also the issue of accomodation convergence conflict. Apart from the rift no one adresses the ac conflict, they're all busy with resolution. So what is oculus going to do? release a headset that breaks the bank with varifocals but shit lenses or a shit screen. . The conflict is defenitely a major problem but they already knew about the sd effect with the dk1 and dk2, I don't believe for a minute with all that facebook money they didn't look into rgb oleds.

Even eye tracking isn't going to solve this problem, sure everything will look a lot sharper, but even the pixmax 8k still shows sde, The fresnel lesnes strain your eyes more than the psvr lenses as well, because of the glares, and that issue is just bad as the ac conflict. There are reason why a lot of people can wear the psvr for hours , but not one of the pcvr headsets.

I surely hope your right, but it's kind of a big ass bummer you could have a pretty good headset right now, but no one has made it and it didn't even have to cost that much. Surely next gen is going to be better, but I'm affraid we'll just have the same problems like this gen and that is that every headset will have severe downsides.

Oculus are working to make a headset that excels in everything. They plan to release Oculus Rift with 2 with around 4000 x 4000 per eye, varifocal displays, new lenses, 140 degree FoV, personal HRTF audio, realtime reconstruction, eye tracking, body tracking, hand tracking, face tracking

Oculus are able to do this because they are the leaders in research and have tons of funding.

Also Pimax 8K still has a screen-door because it's FoV is massive. Higher FoV means less angular resolution. 4000 x 4000 per eye at 140 degrees will eliminate it in most cases.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By commander

@blueberry_bandit said:
@commander said:
@quadknight said:
@commander said:

Oculus are working to make a headset that excels in everything. They plan to release Oculus Rift with 2 with around 4000 x 4000 per eye, varifocal displays, new lenses, 140 degree FoV, personal HRTF audio, realtime reconstruction, eye tracking, body tracking, hand tracking, face tracking

Oculus are able to do this because they are the leaders in research and have tons of funding.

Also Pimax 8K still has a screen-door because it's FoV is massive. Higher FoV means less angular resolution. 4000 x 4000 per eye at 140 degrees will eliminate it in most cases.

didn't know about the tracking of seperate body parts, if they can do all that in one headset that's going to be amazing, it's also going to cost a shit ton of money. Not to mention a lot of parts that can break, and increase weight to the headset.

To be honest, we all don't need that, varifocals and lenses that are bit more easy on the eyes would already be great.

Eye tracking could greatly increase the resolution but frankly if you look at the playstation optics, just increasing the resolution to that of the current headsets on a rgb oled screen with varifocals to counter the ac conflict would already be a great headset.

What's the point if they make a headset that cost 1500$, I'm not buying that. Atm I would already be very happy with playstation optics and decent tracking. Sadly out of the dozen headsets that are on the market, none of them have the quality optics like on the psvr.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@commander said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@commander said:
@quadknight said:

didn't know about the tracking of seperate body parts, if they can do all that in one headset that's going to be amazing, it's also going to cost a shit ton of money. Not to mention a lot of parts that can break, and increase weight to the headset.

To be honest, we all don't need that, varifocals and lenses that are bit more easy on the eyes would already be great.

Eye tracking could greatly increase the resolution but frankly if you look at the playstation optics, just increasing the resolution to that of the current headsets on a rgb oled screen with varifocals to counter the ac conflict would already be a great headset.

What's the point if they make a headset that cost 1500$, I'm not buying that. Atm I would already be very happy with playstation optics and decent tracking. Sadly out of the dozen headsets that are on the market, none of them have the quality optics like on the psvr.

As I said, Oculus have tons of funding. They will do the above whilst releasing around $600 or lower. They're the opposite of HTC. They've said in the past that their future high-end headsets will never be priced higher than the launch of Oculus Rift.

It's important that the headset has basically all of the specs mentioned above. You might be fine with only a few of those, but the mainstream consumer needs them all to buy in.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#16 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

So is Mr. Grinch from what I hear.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By skipper847

@commander: Ive had the oculus since jan 10th this year. (my birthday). Ive only played sat down games for now as my room not big enough but next month I will be getting a bigger room so will be able to play room scale games. I have quite a couple of games too to look forward to and cant wait to play cyubeVR. I cant even play some seated games like Vtol as my desk or other objects in the way of buttons. I can play robo recall but still worried about hitting something so ive stopped playing that too. That I just play Elite for now. Games im really looking forward to are.

Vtoal, Xplane 11, cyubeVR, Star Trek Bridgecrew, Those are my main top 4 to look forward to most. Any way last couple of months been abit warm to play VR so by next month it should cool down a lot for winter. Hope Res Evil 7 comes to pc VR.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

First time flying towards a planet in VR was epic. Well every time thereafter was epic too. I remember jumping from my seat when I looked up and through the top glass I saw a planet close-by. I don't think I've ever had a jump-scare from the appearance of a planet before XD But yeah they feel dangerous when you're in your little spaceship.

@skipper847 said:

@commander: Ive had the oculus since jan 10th this year. (my birthday). Ive only played sat down games for now as my room not big enough but next month I will be getting a bigger room so will be able to play room scale games. I have quite a couple of games too to look forward to and cant wait to play cyubeVR. I cant even play some seated games like Vtol as my desk or other objects in the way of buttons. I can play robo recall but still worried about hitting something so ive stopped playing that too. That I just play Elite for now. Games im really looking forward to are.

Vtoal, Xplane 11, cyubeVR, Star Trek Bridgecrew, Those are my main top 4 to look forward to most. Any way last couple of months been abit warm to play VR so by next month it should cool down a lot for winter. Hope Res Evil 7 comes to pc VR.

I didn't know about cyubeVR. Looks like it's actually designed from the ground up for VR. That's good stuff.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 commander

@skipper847 said:

all you need to do is clear out a rectangular space, I use 6 by 6 feet and that's more than enough, you could probably do with less. Use a mat in the middle of your playspace to orient yourself.

Then use the guardian settings. use also some extension cables divert it to the ceiling and hang it off a pull key chain.

You will have all the freedom you want, robo recall is nice, but I prefer skyrim and fallout, robo recall is too intense and I only last for a halfhour, I play skyrim and fallout for hours.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skipper847

@commander: The way my desk and bed is I cant make a space to do a guardian system. Next month though I'm getting my own place which has 2 bed rooms and using the bigger bed room as a games room which I cant wait but more excited about getting my own place more then anything. I get the keys on the 17th of September and start to move all stuff over then. Its only round the block from my parents house where I live now so its not too far away.

Darknorse77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Darknorse77
Member since 2018 • 37 Posts

@skipper847: Oh wow. I have Oculus too and it took me letting go of my senses and just getting accustomed to the disassociation between the headset and outside world. I would say this though. Any game that has a rear located camera works fine outside of vr. Racing games, fps and such. But most built for vr games surrender resolution and clarity due to the intensity of 360 viewing in the headset. And no intended for vr game will play as well on a screen. Racing games are probably the least different since you are basically in the same forward facing position regardless of the headset being on.

Viri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Viri
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

@blueberry_bandit : You're right! VR is adapted in all! I'm used HTC Vive, everything is fine! Before buying a headset, I went to the game arena and tested the glasses.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Any word on when gen2 will arrive? Haven’t jumped the gun yet with vr, but if they make it a bit more wireless I will be all over it!

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@viri said:

@blueberry_bandit : You're right! VR is adapted in all! I'm used HTC Vive, everything is fine! Before buying a headset, I went to the game arena and tested the glasses.

Glad it turned out well then.

@djoffer said:

Any word on when gen2 will arrive? Haven’t jumped the gun yet with vr, but if they make it a bit more wireless I will be all over it!

Gen 2 is most likely to hit in 2020. 2019 is also possible but unlikely outside of newcomers to the market.